• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

And now --- GOODBYE!

tumblr_mvraixw2ZK1si2x44o1_500.gif

TheFlow

Banned
with a test

I AM a mignola fan.

what's your favorite ongoing?

This one's a bit difficult, depends what I'm reading at the time, honestly. I consistently go gaga for whatever Mignola-verse thing is out, and since that's like 5 books at a time and a bit of a cheat, I will say I REALLY enjoy Lazarus & Southern Bastards
too.

Bonus question, favourite completed runs: Sweet Tooth, Locke & Key, Scalped, Y the Last Man, Unknown Soldier. Fell.

who is your favorite artist?

I love Mig. James Harren. Jason Latour. Gabriel Ba & Fabio Moon. Kaare Andrews. Darwyn Cooke.

favorite writer?

Stephen King (cheated there, not a comics writer)

Mignola, Jason Aaron, Ed Brubaker, Jeff Lemire, Warren Ellis, Scott Snyder

Why do you read comics?

I just really enjoy fiction, especially crime and horror, and comics is a special place where art gets to convey as much of the story as the writing does. Unique things can be done with it. I like spending a lot of money. I like using all the space on my shelves. I LIKE SEEING PEOPLE PUNCH EACH OTHER REAL HARD.

Haha okay, so I didn't answer one question with a definitive one answer, I;m not good at favourites BUT I bet you got a good idea of what I like there. I like this though, I feel like everyone should do one. Especially you, Flow, since I do not remember you from last time I was here (and a quick check of your account says you made your account almost exactly when my old account gave up the goat).
oo good stuff indeed.

Favorite ongoing:
latest

favorite artist:
Otto Schmidt atm. The man has a gift

Writer: Lemiere/Remender

I read comics because it is the perfect combination of literature and drawings coming to together to shape new worlds.

Rivera posts drawings every day on Twitter just about. Nice guy to follow and he does great work.

The Daredevil #1 cover he did is one of my favorite covers period.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Ongoing: Black Hammer, Saga, The Black Monday Murders, Doctor Strange, Archangel

Artist: Leinil Francis Yu (New Avengers run), Dean Ormston, Fiona Staples, Capulo, Gibbons, Jim Lee (even though I have personally moved on from his style)

Writer: Lemire, Hickman, Coates, Snyder, Moore, Morrison, William Gibson for Archangel, Spiegelman, Satrapi, Mazzucchelli, Bechdel, Burns

Why?: Blends the best of visual modes and prose forms into a new type of literature. I can call it an "academic research focus" and no one looks at me funny then.

This is all off the top of my head-- I'm sure I am forgetting some.

The Vision

Bonus question, favourite completed runs: Fables, Y the Last Man

Not sure if I have one, I'm bad at keeping track of the creator talent from book to book.

favorite writer?

Tom King atm, I'm on the King hype train and I'm not about to jump off. Vision/Grayson/Omega Men are back to back favorites of mine within a two years.

Why do you read comics?
I love the concept of serialized stories. I want call backs, foreshadowing, character growth. Comics, manga, TV, Books, don't care what it is. If it's interesting and is serialized in some way I will give it a chance.

I keep toying with the idea of rereading the entire series in order to catch up, but god damn is it daunting.

TheFlow

Banned
Low #11-15

ok this is the most depressing comic I have ever read. The ending almost made me tear up.

also the twist at the end is almost as bad as Deadly Class #21.

The art is also different for this arc, it is cleaned up and more pronounced making it easier to tell wtf is goin on in action scenes.

5/5 I can't keep reading something so dark and depressing

Remender's darkest joint by far

TheFlow

Banned
Huge one piece fan, I re-read the whole thing earlier this year, and currently read it now.

it is fucking good. my favorite manga atm

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Huge one piece fan, I re-read the whole thing earlier this year, and currently read it now.

it is fucking good. my favorite manga atm

BK youre out again, TheFlow is my new favorite ComicGaffer

I wanted to make a fun thread in OT, but I dunno if I want to because it's OT. It would be basically a "Build an X-Men Team" thread. With a couple rules:

-Take your favorite already-existing X-Men team, then list the members. You cannot use any of those members on your X-Men team.
-Your team must be at least 5 members
-The members you pick must have been a member of any of the following: X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor, New Mutants.
-Optional: Say why you picked those members

Favorite team: Joss Whedon's Astonishing
-Cyclops (Scott Summers)
-Emma Frost
-Beast (Hank McCoy)
-Wolverine (James "Logan" Howlett)
-Kitty Pryde
-Colossus (Piotr Rasputin)
-Armor (Hisako Ichiki)

My team:
-Storm (Ororo Munroe)
-Nightcrawler (Kurt Wagner)
-Dr. Nemesis
-Hope Summers
-Magik (Illyana Rasputin)
-Genesis (Evan Sabahnur)
-Tempus (Eva Bell)

Why: I can foreseen a lot of alt dimension/universe/timeline shenanigans, with a hugely varied power and skill set. A time manipulator/traveller; a demonic teleporter; a weather witch; a woman with a demonic dimension inside of her; a messiah with the ability to mimic other powers who also knows how to use chi; a genetic clone of Apocalypse; and a crazy-ass scientist who once made a coffee recipe that allowed him to see into all dimensions at once.

Storm as the leader, Kurt as her second in command. There are a wide array of diverse personalities that could play off each other really well.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

Vision, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, The Wicked + The Divine

Bonus question, favourite completed runs: Immortal Iron Fist, Hawkeye, Gillen/McKelvie Young Avenger, Y The Last Man, Runaways

Don't have just one. McKelvie, Samnee, Immonen, Aja, Chiang

favorite writer?

That's tough. BKV, Gillen, for sure. Others I'll thing of later.

Why do you read comics?

I love serialized story telling. I love digging into the minutia of continuity. I love the medium. With comics you can do things that books can do that TV can't (written trickery) as well as things that TV can do that books can't (visual trickery). It's the best of both worlds.

He's just so good. I almost bought a page of his, but I used the money to visit my parent's instead. Still think I might, eventually.

I love people doing this quiz thing haha gives so much context when people are saying stuff about books in general, having likes and dislikes on reference. Wish we could sticky shit like this. Always wishing I had people's full pulls on hand too.

And god damn. David Aja. I love him Lava, no excuses for missing Aja.

It sounds like your at the start of the New World arc AKA the arc that is so far over 200 chapters.

The last actual chapter I remember reading is
whenever Flamingo used Birdcage on the whole island.
I just haven't actually narrowed down the actual number because that will probably force me into reading it. It will give me a starting point.

I love people doing this quiz thing haha gives so much context when people are saying stuff about books in general, having likes and dislikes on reference. Wish we could sticky shit like this. Always wishing I had people's full pulls on hand too.

And god damn. David Aja. I love him Lava, no excuses for missing Aja.

Comicsgaf needs their own extension for poster notes.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

And god damn. David Aha. I love him Lava, no excuses for missing Aja.

I feel like he's one of the most inventive active artists when it comes to things like framing and layouts.

Here's a StripPanelNaked about it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The Jim Lee era of course

Cyclops
Jean
Wolverine
Storm
Gambit
Rogue
Beast
Iceman
Psylocke
Bishop

thats my X-Men team, as much as I like Nightcrawler and Colossus, they were never on my favorite iterations of the team

second place goes to that weird ass outback era

Rogue
Wolverine
Havok
Psylocke
Dazzler
Longshot

lol

Paper Girls

Bonus question, favourite completed runs:
New X-Men, Remender's Marvel, Hickman's Marvel, Final Crisis, Aaron's Ghost Rider, Scalped god way too many

Frank Quitely

favorite writer?

Rick Remender

Why do you read comics?

Because there ain't nothing like it in the whole world.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The Jim Lee era of course

Cyclops
Jean
Wolverine
Storm
Gambit
Rogue
Beast
Iceman
Psylocke
Bishop

thats my X-Men team, as much as I like Nightcrawler and Colossus, they were never on my favorite iterations of the team

Colossus was a member at this time. He was on the Uncanny team.

tim1138

I wanted to make a fun thread in OT, but I dunno if I want to because it's OT. It would be basically a "Build an X-Men Team" thread. With a couple rules:

-Take your favorite already-existing X-Men team, then list the members. You cannot use any of those members on your X-Men team.
-Your team must be at least 5 members
-The members you pick must have been a member of any of the following: X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor, New Mutants.
-Optional: Say why you picked those members

Favorite team: Joss Whedon's Astonishing
-Cyclops (Scott Summers)
-Emma Frost
-Beast (Hank McCoy)
-Wolverine (James "Logan" Howlett)
-Kitty Pryde
-Colossus (Piotr Rasputin)
-Armor (Hisako Ichiki)

My team:
-Storm (Ororo Munroe)
-Nightcrawler (Kurt Wagner)
-Dr. Nemesis
-Hope Summers
-Magik (Illyana Rasputin)
-Genesis (Evan Sabahnur)
-Tempus (Eva Bell)

Why: I can foreseen a lot of alt dimension/universe/timeline shenanigans, with a hugely varied power and skill set. A time manipulator/traveller; a demonic teleporter; a weather witch; a woman with a demonic dimension inside of her; a messiah with the ability to mimic other powers who also knows how to use chi; a genetic clone of Apocalypse; and a crazy-ass scientist who once made a coffee recipe that allowed him to see into all dimensions at once.

Storm as the leader, Kurt as her second in command. There are a wide array of diverse personalities that could play off each other really well.

Favorite team: Excalibur mk 1
-Captain Britain
-Meggan
-Rachel Summers
-Kitty
-Nightcrawler
-Lockheed

My team:
-Archangel (original version)
-Cyclops
-Phoenix (Jean Grey Claremont era)
-Multiple Man
-Havok
-Polaris
-Warlock
-Storm
-Lila Cheney

Not being able to use Rachel or Kitty sucks, they're my favorite X-Ladies.

Why:
No reason other than they're my favorite characters from my favorite eras of their respective titles (X-Men, X-Factor, New Mutants) plus Archangel who I've always had a soft spot for.

Slayven

Working on a new thread :

Booster Gold: living embodiment of the faults of capitalism or white privilege in spandex?

Thoughts?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
this is fun

Archie / Ms. Marvel / Captain America: Sam Wilson

Hickman's FF
Phonogram: The Singles Club
Bone, Jeff Smith
Fear Agent, Rick Remender
Gillen's Journey into Mystery
so, so many...

Fiona Staples

favorite writer?
Hickman

Why do you read comics?
I love long form story telling and characters with rich histories.

Owzers

East of West

Hickman Fantastic Four, Umbrella Academy, Nextwave, Runaways, Fraction Immortal Iron Fist,

I don't know....

favorite writer?

Hickman

Why do you read comics?

I started mainly because of Whedon writing Astonishing X-Men, loved his Buffy and Angel, and i saw great reviews from IGN so i checked out this whole comic thing again after dismissing it from when i was a kid and bought random comics based off covers and disliking everything. Now i buy books with more knowledge about them and only dislike most things. I keep reading because i love stories, and comics add a visual element to those wordy book things. Movies aren't really cutting it, they feel short and lack growth with their time limit.

VanWinkle

What's your favorite ongoing?
Umm..don't read any ongoings at the moment, but Green Arrow by Percy/Schmidt/Ferreyra was great.

Planetary, Green Lantern by Geoff Johns

Who is your favorite artist?
Darwyn Cooke, Ivan Reis, Francis Manapul, David Aja, Francesco Francavilla, Doc Shaner, Chris Samnee, Eric Powell, Alex Ross, Alex Maleev, Greg Capullo, Gary Frank, Karl Kerschl

Favorite writer?
Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Ed Brubaker, Jason Aaron, Jeff Lemire, Eric Powell, Paul Dini, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Kurt Busiek, Warren Ellis

Low #11-15

ok this is the most depressing comic I have ever read. The ending almost made me tear up.

also the twist at the end is almost as bad as Deadly Class #21.

The art is also different for this arc, it is cleaned up and more pronounced making it easier to tell wtf is goin on in action scenes.

5/5 I can't keep reading something so dark and depressing

Remender's darkest joint by far

Most depressing. Shit. It's been pretty depressing so far. YET OPTIMISTIC. According to Stel. And I haven't even read the latest arc of deadly class yet.

I feel like he's one of the most inventive active artists when it comes to things like framing and layouts.

Here's a StripPanelNaked about it.

Watching preacher (meh) with my partner right now man, but I will check that out later tonight. Guy is an absolute superstar, he's not working on any interiors right now is he? Scarlet witch covers right?

But that is the beauty of white privilege you are alwasy allowed to fail and get another chance. Remember Extreme Justice? The Conglomerate? Supernova? Him causing the multiverse?

Hmmm, so from a meta point of view, your argument is that Gold (despite being a perennial loser) is always given more chances, new stories? Or is it that his chances are given in-universe?

But that is the beauty of white privilege you are alwasy allowed to fail and get another chance. Remember Extreme Justice? The Conglomerate? Supernova? Him causing the multiverse?

Why waste my time?

Carol, Booster Gold, it can go either way. I'd personally lean more towards Tim Drake.

Exactly. I men Orpheus didn't get another shot

Okay, so, I don't know much about Orpheus, so I can't address that specific comparison, BUT:

I would say that from a Doylist (out-of-universe meta) perspective, a character being a loser given more chances is about things other than the character, namely the reception of said character. They keep showing up because there's demand for them. From a Watsonian (in-universe character reasoning) view, the fact that people in-universe keep giving him additional chances, letting him into their teams, all that, that's arguably something that can be linked to privilege, but conflating the editors giving him more chances with his peers giving him more chances seems like a bit of a misstep.

Now, there's something to be said for the way white privilege influences demand both perceived and real and how that changes the market, but that's sort of a bigger issue than can be addressed through Booster Gold.

Vision / Black Panther / Detective Comics / Black Widow

Daredevil by Waid and Samnee, Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis and Bagley, Morrison's Batman run, Hickman's Avengers

Chris Samnee / Greg Capullo / Francesco Francavilla

Favorite writer?
Mark Waid / Greg Rucka / Grant Morrison / Jonathan Hickman

TheFlow

Banned
Most depressing. Shit. It's been pretty depressing so far. YET OPTIMISTIC. According to Stel. And I haven't even read the latest arc of deadly class yet.

Watching preacher (meh) with my partner right now man, but I will check that out later tonight. Guy is an absolute superstar, he's not working on any interiors right now is he? Scarlet witch covers right?
honestly deadly class will have a happier compared to low.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

He does variants for Star Wars issues as well. Based on his normal speed for interiors, I'm not entirely surprised, but I would like him to jump back into it sometime.

Rhaknar

Writer: Aaron

Artist: Bachalo

Ongoing: Vision (well, "ongoing")

Completed: Aaron WatXM (vol1), Superior Foes, Hawkguy, Nextwave, Hickman F4/Avengers stuff, and many others

Astro City / Squirrel Girl / One Piece

Sandman, Planetary, Transmetropolitan, Doom Patrol (Morrison)

Simonson / Sakai / Jaime Hernandex / Don Rosa / Kirby

Favorite writer?
Limited to writers from whom I love more than one run.

Ellis / Rucka / Kirby

Top Bottom