• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Favourite Ongoing
Wonder Woman, Detective Comics.

Favourite Completed Runs
George Perez' Wonder Woman, Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman, Judd Winnick's Exiles + Tony Bedard's Exiles, Grant Morrison's New X-Men, Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Jonathan Hickman's New Avengers + Avengers, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, John Ostrander's Hawkworld.

Favourite Artists
Alex Ross, Olivier Coipel, Kevin Wada, Kristafer Anka, Mikel Janin, J.H. Williams III, Nicola Scott, Liam Sharp, Chris Bachalo, Darwyn Cooke.

Favourite Writers
Neil Gaiman, Jonathan Hickman, Gail Simone, Greg Rucka.

PsychBat!

Banned
Yeah, I goofed.

e02vhk8.gif

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Gotham Academy Second Semester starts soon... does the first arc wrap up nicely before the reboot? Thinking of giving it a go.

Sandfox

Gotham Academy Second Semester starts soon... does the first arc wrap up nicely before the reboot? Thinking of giving it a go.

It wraps up well enough, but the last five issues are a collection of short stories by guest artists that are essentially filler with a few pages of the normal story in between them.

Favorite Writers: Grant Morrison, Jonathan Hickman, Neil Gaiman

X-Force: Otherworld Arc

I really liked the ending of this arc but.. my god, the art was hideous. Can't believe what a step down it was from the previous stuff.

VanWinkle

Hope Gotham Academy can get back on its feet in the second semester with some real arcs. Such a great series. I would love to see a First Semester deluxe edition.

If we get an MU teaser with a different writer different than Bunn tomorrow, I'm going to assume it's a relaunch of the X books.

Also, I'm going to be putting in an IST this upcoming week so do any of you guys have trade recommendations?

X-Men: Messiah Complex, followed by Kyle and Yost X-Force Ultimate Collection Vol. 1, then X-Force/Cable: Messiah War, Kyle and Yost X-Force Ultimate Collection Vol. 2, and finally, Second Coming.

You're Welcome.

PsychBat!

Banned
what's your favorite ongoing?

who is your favorite artist?

favorite writer?

Why do you read comics?

Favorite Adam Sandler movie?

Updated the questionnaire

Pretty much this. Loved Gotham Academy, but wasn't a fan of that Yearbook arc.

I really enjoyed Yearbook; for me, the main appeal of a series like GA is the characters. The main plot is perfectly secondary. I'm just about as happy with a series of "filler" arcs as I am with main story stuff.

Can you guys just not buy a copy of Omega Men for like a day so I can find one in stock I mean jeeeeeeez

nevah.gif

kmfdmpig

what's your favorite ongoing?

who is your favorite artist?

favorite writer?

Why do you read comics?

Updated the questionnaire

Favorite Adam Sandler movie seems like a trick question as they're mostly so terrible, but I do genuinely like Punch Drunk Love. I can tolerate Spanglish. His comedies are dumpster fire tier, however.

There's one scene in a Adam Sandler movie whose name I forgot where he sees this lady wipe the snot off her child's nose with a tissue before seductively rubbing said tissue in her cleavage and it has scarred me for life to the point that I never want to watch another Adam Sandler movie again.

kmfdmpig

First Comic?
Some early 80s Amazing Spider Man comic.

Favorite Character?
Batman

Favorite Scene?
Batman escaping from the SWAT team in Year One.

Book that almost made you quit comics?[/B]
Harley Quinn 1 (Rebirth) made me question just how far down the bottom of the barrel this medium can reach.

Sandfox

First Comic?

Favorite Character?

Favorite Scene?

Book that almost made you quit comics?

PsychBat is slacking

Ultimate Spider-Man 123

Peter Parker

The opening pages of ASM 578 from Peter eating in the rain to where he holds up the the subway with his clothes all torn up

Aceun

First Comic?

Favorite Character?

Favorite Scene?

Ultimate Spider-man #1

Professor X

It's an exchange in Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #8 between Brashear and T'Challa. Reed is there too.

Ultimate End... poetic

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Gotta say I wasn't that impressed with Wytches at all. The book needed a few more issues to flesh the story out. Instead we just get a massive info dump explanation at the end since there was no way we could have know any of that shit. Also Jock's paint spatter BS ruined the art and made the book a pain in the ass to look at.

First Comic?

I think it was some random chapter of Shaman King in Shonen Jump in the early 2000s.

Favorite Character?

Nico Robin, Tony Tony Chopper, and Neil Gaiman's Death.

Favorite Scene?

5oiIsD4.jpg

"Bruh, it's just a boat. Why am I getting all teary eyed over a fucking boat?"

First Comic?

Daredevil #270, September 1989. Written by Ann Fucking Nocenti. $1 American dollar, that has lead to thousands of others.

Favorite Character?

Daredevil and Frank Castle.

Favorite Scene?

The Punisher taking a beating from Captain America and illustrating what a self righteous windbag Cap can be, and how much he lost his way.

Harley Quinn #1 moving 400K issues. Shit sells.

mreddie

You guys have been reading comics for a long time lol.

Batman and Spider Man had their shows back on FOX Kids and that was the beginning. Fell off around the late 90s as Pokemon took over, came back in 06, fell off again in 08, came back a year later and kinda was flaking til 2011.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Oh damn. Is that series 1? I started with series 2. And Marvel Masterpieces, those were great. Still have a couple sets of those.

Yup. Bullseye and Venom were my favorites. I guess I've always had a thing for the black and white color scheme I guess.

After that I moved on to series 2, Masterpieces, and the X-Men-only series drawn by Jim Lee.

First Comic?
The Digimon comics lmaooo.

Favorite Character?
Hawkgirl.

Favorite Scene?
Recently it was the scene in X-Men World's Apart where Storm stopped Cyclop's beams with a lightning bold and going 'is that all?' on his ass. So badass.

Civil War was atrocious.

My first comic was Amazing Fantasy #15 and then ASM by Lee/Ditko. After that it was an assortment of random Spider-Man (JMS ASM, USM, some MA Spidey) and Batman stuff.

Favorite character is a toss-up. I like Batman, Spider-Man, Power Girl, Daredevil, Hellboy, and a ton of others. Can't narrow it down to one.

Favorite scene is hard, but this is one of my favorites (Daredevil #181):

Favourite Ongoing
New Avengers, Old Man Logan, Captain America: Sam Wilson, The Mighty Thor, Detective Comics, Superman, Green Arrow, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Extraordinary X-Men, The Uncanny Inhumans, The Ultimates

Favourite Completed Runs
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Gail Simone's Secret Six (pre-Flashpoint), Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force and Uncanny Avengers, Craig Kyle and Chris Yost's X-Force, New 52 Earth 2

Favourite Artists
John Cassaday, Andrea Sorrentino, Alex Ross, Kenneth Rocafort, Daniel Acuña

Favourite Writers
Joss Whedon, Rick Remender, Chuck Dixon, Gail Simone, Al Ewing, Chris Claremont, Warren Ellis, Charles Soule, Brian Michael Bendis, Geoff Johns, Jeff Lemire.
First Comic?
I don't remember my first, but I distinctly remembering my first issue that I bought and collected being X-Treme X-Men #17

And I distinctly remember that the first stuff that I really got into that really got me into comics was Essential Uncanny X-Men (Claremont's stuff) and Essential Avengers (Silver Age Avengers, Cap's kooky quartet and all that).
Favorite Character?
Fuck man... Black Bolt and Nightwing (Dick Grayson) are my two biggies.

Favorite Scene?
Goddamn so many to choose from...I'll go to one of my oldest ones, from X-Treme X-Men #17, with Rogue beating the hell out of Vargas. And one of my most recent ones with X-23 about to kill Lady Deathstrike during Messiah CompleX:

Uncanny X-Men every single day because Greg Land still gets work. Otherwise nothing has made me almost quit comics.

That and the reveal that they were setting up secret plans psychically are two perfect comic book moments. Astonishing X-Men is incredible. I've got to reread that.
My favorite run.

JTripper

Favourite Ongoing

Detective Comics, Nightwing, Doctor Strange, Walking Dead, Wytches, Sex Criminals

Favourite Completed Runs

New 52 Batman, Frank Miller's Daredevil, Bendis' Daredevil, Gotham Central, Claremont's Uncanny X-Men

Favourite Artists

Greg Capullo, Jim Lee, Chris Bachalo, Patrick Gleason, Jock, Darwyn Cooke

Favourite Writers

Scott Snyder, Chuck Dixon, Frank Miller, Neil Gaiman, Ed Brubaker, Mark Waid, Chris Claremont, Brian K Vaughan

First Comic?

No clue but probably something Batman or Spider-Man

Favorite Character?
Batman

Favorite Scene?

Daredevil #191 - Roulette

I guess I am a trend setter.

Ha, I think it was a good idea. Fun seeing what everyone puts down. Would be awesome to have a template in the OT or linked in the OT for new members. Next up should be show us your pull, IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE. haha, just to be mean. Who wants to put a book at the bottom that they do put money down for.

Some of the lists during the night reminds me, I really need to give G. Willow Wilson a shot. Still read nada by here. Always wanted to read Air but I wasn't sure it got a great ending due to cancel. She seems pretty prolific at marvel now though. Why did she drop off A-Force so quick again?

Also, some Gaiman shout outs too, good stuff. I should have mentioned him. Anyone read the ocean at the end of the lane/have thoughts on that one?

I read them when I was a kid. Mostly fascinated by hologram and embossed covers. Wolverine #50, Silver Surfer #50. Stuff like that. Got back into them around 2007.

Haha, my first embossed cover was a silver version of this bad boy, I found it mind melting at the time (and that tony stark had been assimilated by aliens ni the future!)

Sandfox

Ha, I think it was a good idea. Fun seeing what everyone puts down. Would be awesome to have a template in the OT or linked in the OT for new members. Next up should be show us your pull, IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE. haha, just to be mean. Who wants to put a book at the bottom that they do put money down for.

Some of the lists during the night reminds me, I really need to give G. Willow Wilson a shot. Still read nada by here. Always wanted to read Air but I wasn't sure it got a great ending due to cancel. She seems pretty prolific at marvel now though. Why did she drop off A-Force so quick again?

Also, some Gaiman shout outs too, good stuff. Anyone read the ocean at the end of the lane/have thoughts on that one?

IIRC one of her kids was hospitalized.

IIRC one of her kids was hospitalized.

Ah, shit, that sucks haha if there was ever a reason to free up some time!

Gotta say I wasn't that impressed with Wytches at all. The book needed a few more issues to flesh the story out. Instead we just get a massive info dump explanation at the end since there was no way we could have know any of that shit. Also Jock's paint spatter BS ruined the art and made the book a pain in the ass to look at.

I thought it was good. Not a great book (which imo American Vampire really is), and not trash, just a good horror short story. I take it for exposition you mean
the discussion between her parents near the end?
It is a bit info dumpy, and even a bit of the nose thematically, would have been better for the father to figure out the lore stuff himself and confronted her THEN got the second bit out between them, but I liked the book a lot in general, it had a great tone and dose of creepiness to it. Appreciate where you're coming from though and yea, I would have take a few more issues. Have you read Severed?

placed another IST order - Omega Men, Birth of the Demon, Midnighter Vol. 1, and Doom Patrol vol. 1

gonna try and order Deadly Class vol 4 from Amazon or something. I've been unable to find it in stores and wanna read it asap

Can you guys just not buy a copy of Omega Men for like a day so I can find one in stock I mean jeeeeeeez
It's out on CMX in today's update if you don't care about physical comics(and I'm going to make a thread about it).

First Comic?

Got 5 comics from my grandmother when I was around 8: an issue of Bamse, a small Donald Duck pocket book, one Tintin volume, one Asterix volume and Superman vs. The Amazing Spider-Man. First one I bought for myself was a volume of Dragon Ball.

Favorite Character?

Dick Grayson or Kitty Pryde.

Favorite Scene?

Already been said but, Cyclops in Astonishing.

OMD(and Spider-Man and X-Men stopping being translated and on sale in swedish supermarkets) literally made me quit until around 2-3 years ago.

What's your favorite ongoing?

Detective Comics, Sheriff of Babylon, Superman and Vision.

Favorite completed runs:

Marvel Cosmic era, Astonishing X-Men, New X-Men, Multiversity, Hawkeye etc.

Who is your favorite artist?

Probably Evan Shaner. I like all the other normal choices but Shaner is on another level to me.

Favorite writer?

King, Morrison, Bennet, Snyder or Simone depending on the day or mood.

Why do you read comics?

I like to experience different worlds.

Btw, Animosity #1 3rd printing sold out before it could even leave the factory so the 4th printing has already been announced and there's a CMX sale on the first three collections of Busiek Thunderbolts(and the collections with Red Hulk etc).

All-New Inhumans #10
A shaky arc with a dope fucking ending. Sad to see this book go. Also best line:
"You misunderstand. My blood is an abomination, but I still intend on killing you for taking it"

Scooby Apocalypse #4
God. Fucking. Damn it. This book. God damn it.

Superman #5
YOOOOOO THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP!

Action Comics #961
This is really getting old. Seems like we'll get somewhere next issue, though.

Hagi

X-Men: Messiah Complex, followed by Kyle and Yost X-Force Ultimate Collection Vol. 1, then X-Force/Cable: Messiah War, Kyle and Yost X-Force Ultimate Collection Vol. 2, and finally, Second Coming.

You're Welcome.

This seems like a good idea, it's been ages since I read Messiah Complex and I could do with some classic X-men schadenfreude. I don't know if it's any good but I've been meaning to pick up Age of X as well.

Top Bottom