• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV interview: Tabata talks delays, Versus, fan expectation and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narroo

Truth. Perfect quote from Tabata.

But SE itself is not helping, just recently we have had the following games based on Nostalgia or with a lot of nostalgic elements (characters, items, music from older entries):

-Final Fantasy Record Keeper
-Final Fantasy Brave Exvius
-Teathrythmn: Final Fantasy
-Teathrythmn: Final Fantasy Curtain Call
-Final Fantasy Explorers
-Final Fantasy Dissidia (arcade)
-Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade
-Pictologica Final Fantasy
-Final Fantasy All The Bravest
-Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Upcoming:
-World of Final Fantasy
-Final Fantasy Dissidia: Omnia something

Also, there's remakes/ports all the time.

People shit a lot on FF13, including myself lol, but at least it got one thing right. It tried to build its own identity. And the execution wasn't the best, but it really tried.

Square Enix seems to really be unable to do anything but cheap FF cash grabs. Most of these really arn't even their own "FF Inspired" games like older spin offs were, a la Tactics, but straight nostalgia grabs that are near worthless unless you're a long time fan!

I disagree with the turnbased statement though. An action game is fine for a spin off, sure, but ultimately the whole point of a brand is some level of consistency. No one goes to see a 'Rocky' movie because they want to watch a horror movie like 'Alien.' No one goes to KFC because they want Italian food. No one watches Fox News because they want news. Innovation is great and necessary, but you have to stay true to your identity.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

It seems like they don't like 2.8 cause only one of the games is a full fledged title and generally speaking is the third collection in a series of collections.

Well they aren't wrong. I don't see why the video has so many dislikes? Its a valid concern to have, especially if your someone who is trying to get into the series at this point

Fuck me the dislikes on that video O_O
I stan for kingdom hearts pretty hard(openly admit it) and ign are the last ones I want to hear kh stuff from...BUT idk I kind of agree. The value doesn't really seem to be there for me. DDD is fantastic but 2.8 is probably a good 2-3 hour romp and the movie for a hour and a half.

It seems like they don't like 2.8 cause only one of the games is a full fledged title and generally speaking is the third collection in a series of collections.

Well they aren't wrong. I don't see why the video has so many dislikes? Its a valid concern to have, especially if your someone who is trying to get into the series at this point

Yes, it's valid. The new content has more effort than the previous collections though, but I can understand their point.

Square Enix seems to really be unable to do anything but cheap FF cash grabs. Most of these really arn't even their own "FF Inspired" games like older spin offs were, a la Tactics, but straight nostalgia grabs that are near worthless unless you're a long time fan!

I disagree with the turnbased statement though. An action game is fine for a spin off, sure, but ultimately the whole point of a brand is some level of consistency. No one goes to see a 'Rocky' movie because they want to watch a horror movie like 'Alien.' No one goes to KFC because they want Italian food. No one watches Fox News because they want news. Innovation is great and necessary, but you have to stay true to your identity.

I think you're ignoring the fact that changing as it does *is* Final Fantasy's identity, and always has been. If anything, the degree to which FF titles are varied from each other is a core defining aspect of the IP compared to most other nearly 30 year old franchises.

Voror

2.8 probably should have been sold at a lesser price than the first two collections which both contained two full games. This one has, so far as I know, one full game and what amounts to a short DLC.

Tyaren

There is supposed to be a FFXV panel with Tabata today on PAX:

CraJJVwXEAI2aa2.jpg

The Twitch channel that is supposed to stream that panel...
https://www.twitch.tv/pax2
...however says it's at 6pm PDT, not 2:30pm PDT.
Does anybody know more more about this? Don't want to miss this...

ackl

Sure it's a valid concern but my problem with that KH video is that they don't mention much about the gameplay stuff (besides the DDD controller thing). You can see this contrast with their XV impression video where they mentioned specific things that got them excited. I mean, if you're gonna make an impression video, do them consistently.

Holy shit

lots of good buzz for 15 so far

Tabata and crew finally turning the ship around it seems

I suppose I am now intrigued. The Anime did a good job getting me into the characters (who initially i didnt like at all)

Does the preorder DLC give new costumes because I really want my man crew to drop the damn leather shorts

Holy shit

lots of good buzz for 15 so far

Tabata and crew finally turning the ship around it seems

I suppose I am now intrigued. The Anime did a good job getting me into the characters (who initially i didnt like at all)

Does the preorder DLC give new costumes because I really want my man crew to drop the damn leather shorts
Only the deluxe edition gets you a suit for noct but there are other outfits in the game(not a lot tho)

Hmm, every time the press gets their hands on it they tend to be at least tentatively positive. Almost enough to bolster my hype against the constant Gaf pile ons...

My hype aside, I'm honestly not sure what to expect with this game anymore.

Mediking

Hmm, every time the press gets their hands on it they tend to be at least tentatively positive. Almost enough to bolster my hype against the constant Gaf pile ons...

I'm actually becoming concerned about the story.....

Falk

that puzzling face
There is supposed to be a FFXV panel with Tabata today on PAX:

CraJJVwXEAI2aa2.jpg

The Twitch channel that is supposed to stream that panel...
https://www.twitch.tv/pax2
...however says it's at 6pm PDT, not 2:30pm PDT.
Does anybody know more more about this? Don't want to miss this...

Speaking of which, did XVGAF ever transition from twitch group chat (lol) to Discord? I can't remember

Paging Koozek.

I'm actually becoming concerned about the story.....

The basic road trip premise is solid I think.

Kingsglaive plotting was a real mess though.

As long as we get to know the characters and the stakes are clear I'll be happy. Anything above that is gravy for me.

Mediking

I stan for kingdom hearts pretty hard(openly admit it) and ign are the last ones I want to hear kh stuff from...BUT idk I kind of agree. The value doesn't really seem to be there for me. DDD is fantastic but 2.8 is probably a good 2-3 hour romp and the movie for a hour and a half.

Blood will shed if 2.8 is really just 3 hours. Gimme 10 max.

Mediking

The basic road trip premise is solid I think.

Kingsglaive plotting was a real mess though.

As long as we get to know the characters and the stakes are clear I'll be happy. Anything above that is gravy for me.

I'm worried about is there even good plot twists.... just how emotional can this story get.

Slater

Banned
I think you're cool. I'd vote for you to direct FFXVI before Toriyama or Tabata.
Lol I don't think Tabata had any desire to head up another mainline FF, XV is clearly bad for his health

Dude probabaly really wants to work on that new IP with a clean slate and not 10 years of other people's fuckups as baggage

Koozek

We should all just expect a fun, good to great game, not a groundbreaking masterpiece of the genre. This is more or less SE's catching up to modern, AAA RPG development and genre conventions/expectations set by TW3 & Co. An absolutely needed step into the right direction and a good foundation for the series' future to build upon.

Better to have healthy expectations. And this is coming from me, who's never hyped a game this much for so long :D

Speaking of which, did XVGAF ever transition from twitch group chat (lol) to Discord? I can't remember

Paging Koozek.
Is that the new thing? Heard that name a few times recently. Someone else could set one up. I don't think I'll be watching the next streams or ATRs anymore.

We should all just expect a fun, good to great game, not a groundbreaking masterpiece of the genre. This is more or less SE's catching up to modern, AAA RPG development and genre conventions/expectations set by TW3 & Co. An absolutely needed step into the right direction and a good foundation for the series' future to build upon.

Better to have healthy expectations. And this is coming from me, who's never hyped a game this much for so long :D

Words of wisdom, definitely agree.

Hahaha be rest assured. The main cast in FFXVI won't be trash and the themes won't be trash either. Will post concept art after FFXV releases.

It's very brave of you to run with a middle aged (I'm guessing that means late 20s?) female protagonist.

To symbolize this game, today I have brought with me a wilted, withered rose....

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sure it's a valid concern but my problem with that KH video is that they don't mention much about the gameplay stuff (besides the DDD controller thing). You can see this contrast with their XV impression video where they mentioned specific things that got them excited. I mean, if you're gonna make an impression video, do them consistently.

What are they supposed to say? Its KH..the combat is basically the same as usual.

It's very brave of you to run with a middle aged (I'm guessing that means late 20s?) female protagonist.

To symbolize this game, today I have brought with me a wilted, withered rose....

tumblr_mx7oa3IZL41sl7gimo1_500.png

That rose will have turned into ash by the time XVI is finally released under the directorship of one Perfo. The future teller Yeul tells me Mediking's concept will become too ambitious.

That rose will have turned into ash by the time XVI is finally released under the directorship of one Perfo. The future teller Yeul tells me Mediking's concept will become too ambitious.

Today I have brought with me a pile of fly-larvae infested compost. In addition to helping other plants grow, compost burns with its own fetid, inner fire. What a versatile and mysterious substance.

Seriously though I hope they keep their XVI powder dry until VIIR is almost out the door.

Mediking

You knew of my love for Emma Honeywell, didn't you. Where can I pre-order?

Today I have brought with me a pile of fly-larvae infested compost. In addition to helping other plants grow, compost burns with its own fetid, inner fire. What a versatile and mysterious substance.

Seriously though I hope they keep their XVI powder dry until VIIR is almost out the door.

Hahahahaha! Soooo tempted to share story details for FFXVI but I can't. NDA, Tabata, and a certain high figure at Square Enix would be very mad at me.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Hahaha thanks. I appreciate it. FFXVI will star a middle aged dual wielding swordswoman. That's all I can share right now before NDA hits me.

Hahaha be rest assured. The main cast in FFXVI won't be trash and the themes won't be trash either. Will post concept art after FFXV releases.

Hahahahaha! Soooo tempted to share story details for FFXVI but I can't. NDA, Tabata, and a certain high figure at Square Enix would be very mad at me.

Someone bish this guy

LOL!!

And I hope the same. At least let FFVIIR Part 1 out (hopefully 2017) and then have a grand unveiling of FFXVI at E32018 with a 2019 release date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom