• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 6 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

nVxGlGs.png

October is slowly shambling towards us, so it's time again to re-animate our annual 31 Days of Horror Movie Marathon!
Remember gremlins and ghoulies, this thread is posted early to allow people time to begin hording movies if they wish to participate - please do not begin your marathon viewings until Oct 1st.

What is 31 Days of Horror?

31 Days of Horror is a torturous, self-inflected movie marathon in honor of Halloween. Attempted by only the most depraved of us, the survivors always come back for more (and sometimes the non-survivors too).
The goal of the marathon is to watch and share your thoughts on as many horror or Halloween themed movies as you can throughout the month of October. Ideally, participants are to do 1 movie a day until reaching a full 31 movies by October 31st - however this is only accomplished by the most depraved of souls. You may participate no matter how many movies you plan to watch.

The MANDATORY Rules

- Beginning October 1st, watch as many full-length horror movies as you can until October 31st. Please only include movies watched during this period.
- After each viewing, you must post which movie(s) you've watched and your thoughts/opinions on them. Be as brief or as detailed in your review as you'd like, but don't just list what you've watched - none wants to read a list. Please number your movies and keep a running tally of your progress.
- Short films may be included - but should be 45 minutes in length or longer.
- TV series (The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Halloween themed episodes of sitcoms, etc) do not count - please do not include them in your tally. You may discuss them as "extra credit" if you view them along with your full movies.
- TV series consisting of stand alone short films (such as Masters of Horror) are allowed as long as they meet the 45 minutes or longer time requirement.
- Please use the SPOILER tag to hide any possible spoilers. Remember, a lot of people use these threads for recommendations so let's not ruin anything, regardless of the movie's age.
- No cheating, the Great Pumpkin will know.

xKUb2QE.png

Continuing on from previous years, we're doing 2 mandatory movies again. One in the public domain for everyone to watch in the first half of the month, and one selected by Divius for Netflix streaming users (or anyone else who has access to it) to be watched in the second half of the month. Please do your best to watch and discuss the movies during the defined period.

The Last Man on Earth (1964)
Watch & discuss between October 1st - 15th.
YouTube | Tubi TV

Hush (2016) (Thanks to Divius for the pick)
Watch & discuss between October 16th - 31st.
Netflix

The OPTIONAL Challenges

- Do 1 movie every day, so you end up with a 31 films as your final total. As before, the full 31 films total is fully optional. Only attempt this if you have a lot of free time and/or are completely insane and self-abusive.
- As the purpose of this is to expose yourself to new horror films, attempt to watch as many movies you haven't seen as possible. This makes going for the full 31 movies a lot more interesting than slogging though the same movies every year.
- Adding poster images, screenshots, quotes, trailer links, etc to your opinion posts are not mandatory, but will help bring attention to your reviews of each film - especially useful if you feel it's a film worth recommending to other participants.

Streaming Resources

Need help fleshing out your decaying collection of movies? Here's a few free, legal streaming sites that may be available in your earthly realm to assist in your depravity:

- ShoutFactoryTV
- Troma (YouTube)
- Kings of Horror (YouTube)
- Shudder (free trial) (Thanks to Ridley327 for pointing this out last year)

Thanks for the Scares

pTqHj7Z.gif

While he may not be remembered as a horror icon, this year's marathon is dedicated to the memory of Gene Wilder (1933–2016). There will never be a funnier Dr. Fronkensteen… sorry, “Frankenstein!” Thanks for the laughs, Gene.

Y23d16r.png

Please don't resurrect old threads, these are listed for reference only.

Rembrandt

Banned
Yes! Best thread of the year is back!

Pity I watched Hush just last week. Still, it's a great movie, really enjoyed it.

Going for as many Christmas horror movies as I can this year, plus catching up on some newer films I haven't seen yet. Really looking forward to October!

Holidays on Netflix was pretty entertaining.

Definitely gonna partake this year. Can't wait to find some new gems in here, too!

Yes! Best thread of the year is back!

Pity I watched Hush just last week. Still, it's a great movie, really enjoyed it.

Going for as many Christmas horror movies as I can this year, plus catching up on some newer films I haven't seen yet. Really looking forward to October!

Sorry about Hush. Divius had made his pick last week too, so I could have warned people not to watch it yet, but I didn't want to say what it was early because I like them to be a surprise.

Edit: If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend A Christmas Tale from the Films to Keep You Awake series. I don't know if the DVD set is still in print, but it was super cheap when I got it.

Sorry about Hush. Divius had made his pick last week too, so I could have warned people not to watch it yet, but I didn't want to say what it was early because I like them to be a surprise.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was complaining! It's a very entertaining movie.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was complaining! It's a very entertaining movie.

Oh, no worries. I didn't think you were. I just hope too many people haven't watched it yet, I think it was discussed a bit in the general horror thread when it first went up on Netflix.

Hey, neat. This'll be my first year participating in this thread here, though I've been doing the 31 movies thing for the past three or four years.

I highly, highly recommend people try to work in "Tales of Halloween" if they can manage it. It's on par with Trick 'r Treat, and I honestly would rate it a bit higher.

Last year I actually got in 33, mostly because a couple of the things I watched irritated me so much that I wanted a do-over.

Last year's list, just for kicks:

1 We Are Still Here
2 Dark Was the Night
3 Unfriended
4 Antisocial
5 Treehouse
6 The Remaining
7 REC 4
8 Europa Report
9 Hidden
10 The Divide
11 Let Us Prey
12 Starry Eyes
13 Don't Blink
14 Devoured
15 Late Phases
16 Goodnight Mommy
17 The Babadook
18 Proxy
19 Spring
20 When Animals Dream
21 Digging Up the Marrow
22 The Hive
23 Calvaire
24 Inside
25 Re-Kill
26 The Atticus Institute
27 The Houses October Built
28 Cub
29 From the Dark
30 The Last Winter
31 Extinction
32 All Hallow's Eve
33 Tales of Halloween

Holidays on Netflix was pretty entertaining.

Thanks for the tip. I'll put it on the list.

Edit: If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend A Christmas Tale from the Films to Keep You Awake series. I don't know if the DVD set is still in print, but it was super cheap when I got it.

That's the one directed by one of the Rec guys isn't it? It's on my list, but I haven't been able to track it down.
Well, it's on YouTube, but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be.
Didn't realise it was part of a collection, so I'll have a look for that. Thanks!

That's the one directed by one of the Rec guys isn't it? It's on my list, but I haven't been able to track it down.
Well, it's on YouTube, but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be.
Didn't realise it was part of a collection, so I'll have a look for that. Thanks!

Yup, that's the one. It's directed by Paco Plaza of REC fame. Jaume Balagueró, the other REC guy also directed another one of the films in the set, To Let.

I honestly can't remember much about that one, but I do remember enjoying it as well. The whole set was pretty good, actually.

Click links to go to post with comments/concerns on each individual film.

1. Children of the Corn (1984)
2. Day of the Animals (1977)
3. Silent Hill (2006) *
4. Dracula (1931)
5. Entrance (2012)
6. Slugs (1988)
7. Baron Blood (1972)
8. Grizzly (1976)
9. 28 Days Later (2002) *
10. 28 Weeks Later (2007) *
11. Carrie (2002) *
12. The Rage: Carrie 2 (1999)
13. Cold Prey (2006)
14. The New York Ripper (1982)
15. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
16. The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
17. Child's Play (1988) *
18. Child's Play 2 (1990) *
19. Child's Play 3 (1991) *
20. Bride of Chucky (1998) *
21. Seed of Chucky (2004) *
22. Curse of Chucky (2013) *
23. The Ones Below (2015)
24. Rec 4: Apocalypse (2014)
25. Cold Prey 2 (2008)
26. Laid to Rest (2009)
27. Chromeskull: Laid to Rest 2 (2011)
28. The Descent (2005) *
29. Dawn of the Dead (2004) *
30. Evil Dead (2013) *
31. The Old Dark House (1932) *
32. Eaten Alive (1976)
33. Malevolence (2004)
34. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) *
35. I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998) *
36. It Follows (2014) *
37. Deranged (2004)
38. Motel Hell (1980)
39. Halloween (1978) *
40. Halloween II (1981) *
41. Pieces (1982)
42. Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers (1988)
43. Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland (1989)
44. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) *
45 Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) *
46. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) *
47. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995) *
48. Friday the 13th (1980) *
49. The Brood (1979)
50. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998) *
51. Halloween: Resurrection *
52. The Conjuring 2 (2016)
53. Halloween (2007) *
54. Halloween II (2009) *
55. Puppet Master II (1990)
56. The Others (2001)
57. Ginger Snaps (2000)
58. The Guest (2004) *
59. Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed (2004)
60. Rope (1948)
61. The Prowler (1981)
62. Dark Water (2005) *

---

lFek4.gif
Hall of Shame aka abandoned/unfinished films:
lFek4.gif

none so far! :)

* indicates a rewatch

---

2015 post
2014 post
Letterboxd September/October horror challenge thing

Find my current selection here and feel free to give me feedback. Any big no-no's? And movies I definitely should see?

What Have You Done to Solange? [1972]
Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key [1972]
Death Walks on High Heels [1971]
A Blade in the Dark [1983]

Just an FYI on your gialli here, I believe A Blade in the Dark is the only real horror one. Solange debatable. It's a fine movie, but it's honestly more of a mystery. I watched it for the marathon back in year 3.

I have yet to see Your Vice and Death Walks because as I understand it, they are just straight up giallo thrillers, so I've never included them in the marathon.

Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from watching them or anything, because I'm sure everyone knows by now how much I love gialli, so I'm definitely interested in reading your reviews, but I thought I'd throw the info out there.

I'm doing A Blade in the Dark myself this year along with some others.

Who Can Kill a Child AKA Island of the Damned [1976]

WATCH THIS. Fantastic movie. Very striking and powerful, even though it's stylistically dated.

Black Christmas [2006]
Black Christmas [2006]

Was one of those supposed to be the original? If so, yes, definitely watch that.

Deadgirl [2008]

Hoooboy. I'm interested in reading your review on that one. It's... well, yeah.

Divius

Exactly what I was looking for ThirstyFly, thanks!

I'll fine-tune the gialli.
Black Christmas being on there twice is an error. It should indeed only be the 2006 one, once. I've seen the original.

Find my current selection here and feel free to give me feedback. Any big no-no's? And movies I definitely should see?

For what it's worth, I pretty much hated Calvaire. It's the weakest of the New French Extremity films I've seen. But if you've already seen Inside, Martyrs, Frontiere(s), etc., then it might be worth seeing just to be thorough.

American Mary is a good choice, and I ended up liking Afflicted more than I expected to.

Pachimari

I'm in for this, for the first time!

My watchlist so far:

1. Cloverfield (2008) *rewatch
  2. 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
  3. The Witch (2015)
  4. Spring (2015)
  5. The Thing (1982)
  6. The Thing (2011)
  7. Ouija (2015)
  8. The Exorcist (1973)
  9. The Babadook (2014)
  10. Silent Hill (2006)
  11. Silent Hill: Revelation (2012)
  12. Crimson Peak (2015)
  13. The Lazarus Effect (2015)
  14. The Conjuring (2013)
  15. Annabelle (2014)
  16. The Conjuring 2 (2016)
  17. Insidious (2011)
  18. Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013)
  19. Insidious: Chapter 3 (2015)
  20. I Saw the Devil (2011)
  21. A Tale of Two Sisters (2004) *rewatch
  22. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)
  23. Southbound (2016)
  24. The Forest (2016)
  25. The Invitation (2015)
  26. Before I Wake (2016)
  27. Session 9 (2001)
  28. Martyrs (2009) *rewatch
  29. The Visit (2015)
  30. Train to Busan (2016)
  31. The Neon Demon (2016)

[edit] I'm gonna change two from the list with The Last Man on Earth (1964) and Hush (2016).

For what it's worth, I pretty much hated Calvaire. It's the weakest of the New French Extremity films I've seen. But if you've already seen Inside, Martyrs, Frontiere(s), etc., then it might be worth seeing just to be thorough.

Yeah, I've got to agree with this. I watched Calvaire for the marathon a couple of years ago, and really didn't like it.

J-Roderton

Best time of year! Didn't meet the goal last year but with a different schedule this time around it should be smooth sailing. Never heard of Hush, so I'll be looking forward to that. I think I'm gonna use this year as a good excuse to take the plastic wrap of a lot of the classics I already have but have never watched.

Not sure if I'm going to make a proper list again this year, though. Should I just go at random this year?

Divius

Yeah, I've got to agree with this. I watched Calvaire for the marathon a couple of years ago, and really didn't like it.
What I've seen from the 'French new wave' was a mixed bag for me personally, so I'll take your word for it and remove Calvaire from the list. Thanks for the warnings! :D

Ridley327

Just waiting on the last couple of films to show up in the mail. This has easily been the most varied and wild programming I've done yet.

Also, Hush is the goddamn business. Anyone that hasn't seen it yet are going to be in for a first-rate cat-and-mouse thriller.

I watch 4 movies per day while I work, so this won't be too difficult. I did start my annual Halloween marathon early this year (last week). The good news is that I own hundreds of movies and various TV series so I always have more than I can watch during this time of year. We're also decorating the house a bit earlier than usual too.

lordxar

Well I just watched Last Man on Earth and Hush not too long ago so that kind of sucks but otherwise AAHHHHHH new thread for a new year! Last year was my first year and I kind of went a little nuts as I found new stuff to watch and doubled the 31 so this year I'm going to try and have some restraint...lol, although I'm running two lists now.

Why two lists? Letterboxd has the Hooptober challenge which has a lot more requirements like 7 from a franchise or a Tobe Hooper movie and it actually blended well with my plans for this list as well so while there are two lists their actually merged together so that when Hooptober starts on Sept 15th I can get rolling a bit early but still be in the GAF game come October 1.

Now...my list! So I recently found this video which offers snippets of horror movies from 1896 all the way through today.

A HIstory of Horror

It really intrigued me to watch horror grow up over the years and I'd already been watching some silent comedies like Safety Last so I started watching all 122 movies in that video but things blossomed as they tend to do. That 122 started expanding out into me wanting to see more from each year. So I got the idea for my list from that which is a history of horror. There is at least one movie from each decade, 1910's through today...with some blending of the other list. I actually had this more streamlined into like 2 or 3 per decade but then the other list sounded to fun to pass up.

I only have two rewatches, Puppetmaster and the Witch. I really want to watch the Witch again. I was really disappointed in it but now that I know what the movie is like I think its is the perfect time to revisit it and see if my opinion changes. I've watched Puppetmaster a long time ago but bought this sweet DVD set with all of them so time to bust that out.

One more item of note is that I've never actually watched Rocky Horror so this is a completely blind experience. I know the general idea of dressing in drag and throwing stuff but no clue on the actual movie which I hear is terrible as a movie. So I was planning on watching it solo and maybe having a Halloween party at some point. Then it clicked to have a Rocky Horror party! So I'm having friends over to drink, dress stupidly, and have a blast!

1 The Student of Prague 1913
2 The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari 1920
3 The Phantom Carriage 1921
4 M 1931
5 Vampyr 1932
6 The Uninvited 1944
7 Plan 9 from Outer Space 1959
8 Dementia 13 1963
9 Don’t Torture a Duckling 1972
10 The Rocky Horror Picture Show 1975
11 The Burning 1981
12 Dead & Buried 1981
13 Cannibal Ferox 1981
14 Q 1982
15 The New York Ripper 1982
16 Opera 1987
17 Puppet Master 1989
18 Jacob’s Ladder 1990
19 The Craft 1996
20 Funny Games 1997
21 A Tale of Two Sisters 2003
22 Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed 2004
23 Wind Chill 2007
24 Inside 2007
25 I Saw the Devil 2010
26 The Skin I Live In 2011
27 Citadel 2012
28 Djinn 2013
29 Southbound 2015
30 Krampus 2015
31 The Witch 2015

Letterboxd Hooptober

My GAF 2016 list

Ridley327

We back, boys! The most wicked time of the year is almost upon us.

I don't really have a 'list' yet, it's more a random selection of titles without thought. Leftovers from last year, recommendations and stuff that I bookmarked over the last year because they looked interesting. Originally I wanted to include a full series like all of the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street movies, but my current selection is already up to approx. 40 movies so that's not going to work. Or maybe I can remove some stuff and fit them in. I'm going to look into it and at least create some kind of structure.

Your review of Deadgirl is one I'll be anxiously anticipating. It certainly invites strong opinions, even with mine amounting to "neat ideas and a cool performance, but wow, is it a messy film from a technical perspective."

Blader

This'll be my second year doing this, though I don't think I'll do the full 31 this year. I've got some traveling and other plans coming up next month, but also, doing 31 movies last -- while fun! -- was still a hell of a chore. :lol Especially if I missed a day and had to double or triple up, it was a little exhausting. So I think this year I'm just gonna do half that, with 15 or 16.

I actually watched The Last Man on Earth during last year's marathon (I didn't really like it but I think I'm in the minority on that), but I was planning to kick off this year's marathon with The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, which was last year's mandatory pick. So, it works out in a way.

Here's what I've got queued up across various streaming platforms already:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Videodrome
Don't Look Now
Sisters
Poltergeist (1982)
They Live
Re-Animator
Carrie
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Vampyr
House on Haunted Hill
Theatre of Blood
The Fly (1986)
Crimson Peak
It Follows

And maybe do another Friday the 13th too. I did the first two movies last year, and thought the first was pretty terrible but the second was surprisingly fun.

Shudder is getting pretty awesome, they so far have been adding a new movie almost daily to the service, getting impressive catalog going

Just like KMFDM, I'm doing it again. Stronger than ever before. I don't think I'm going to have a list, but we'll see. This time I'll want to review everything I watch, in some shape or another, before the month is out.

In! Last year only made it to 25 films, I probably won't make the full 31 again but we'll see. I have no set list, and probably won't make one but we'll see. I like some spontaneity. I'd like to fit in some giallo though. I'll probably sign up for Shudder for October as well, to expand what I have significantly rather than relying on the dregs of horror films I haven't seen on Netflix and Amazon.

Here's what I watched last year. 4 were rewatches (TCSM, the evil dead movies, and repulsion). Bolded are my top 10:
1. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
2. The House on Haunted Hill (1959)
3. Black Sabbath
4. The Omen (1976)
5. The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears
6. The Fly (1958)
7. The Beast with Five Fingers
8. Ravenous
9. Don't Look Now
10. Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
11. The Dunwich Horror
12. The Brood
13. The Pit and the Pendulum
14. The Fall of the House of Usher
15. Crimson Peak
16. Wes Craven's New Nightmare
17. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
18. The Fog (1980)
19. John Carpenter's Vampires
20. Killer Klowns from Outer Space
21. The Evil Dead
22. Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn
23. Eyes Without a Face
24. Repulsion
25. Fright Night (1985)

lordxar

Here's what Shudder has currently. I'm US so not sure if this changes globally.

http://letterboxd.com/lordxar/list/movies-on-shudder/

I made that list because they did not have a queue a few days ago and the browsing on mobile is by category rather than alphabet. Plus it can be sorted by time and rating on Letterboxd. In the end it only took a few short hours. Then the mangy bastards put in a queue on the app uplate yesterday...oh well. Reap the rewards of my labor! I'm not sure I will actually keep the list current going forward but it is accurate as of last Saturday.

Ravager61

For the last month, every time I am about to watch a horror movie, I have told myself "wait until October".

I need to start my list. I've never gotten 31 but I'm gonna try this year.

Ridley327

Shudder is getting pretty awesome, they so far have been adding a new movie almost daily to the service, getting impressive catalog going

Yeah, getting Arrow, Grindhouse Releasing and (most of) Blue Underground has done wonders for their selection. They've got some rad exclusives too, like Nina Forever.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm reviewing movies constantly on my site, so I'll probably just share that stuff with you guys. Usually independent films so maybe it'll be cool to share some low key stuff.

Yeah I just peeped their catalogue, and I'm signing up for that for sure. I could easily watch everything I want to through Shudder.

Top Bottom