• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

L1y0V9u.png

October is slowly shambling towards us, so it's time again for the 4th annual 31 Days of Horror Movie Marathon! Remember gremlins and ghoulies, this thread is posted early to allow people time to begin hording movies if they wish to participate - please do not begin your marathon viewings until Oct 1st.

What is 31 Days of Horror?

31 Days of Horror is a torturous, self-inflected horror movie marathon in honor of Halloween. Attempted by only the most depraved of us, the survivors always come back for more (and sometimes the non-survivors too).
The goal of the marathon is to watch and share your thoughts on as many horror or Halloween themed movies as you can throughout the month of October. Ideally, participants are to do 1 movie a day and reaching a full 31 movies by October 31st - however this is only accomplished by the most depraved of souls. You may participate no matter how many movies you plan to watch.

The MANDATORY Rules

- Beginning October 1st, watch as many full-length horror movies as you can until October 31st. Please only include movies watched or re-watched during this period.
- After each viewing, you must post which movie(s) you've watched and your thoughts on them. Be as brief or as detailed in your review as you'd like. Please number your movies and keep a running tally of your progress.
- Short films may be included - but should be 45 minutes in length or longer.
- TV series (The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Halloween themed episodes of sitcoms, etc) do not count - please do not include them in your tally. You may discuss them as "extra credit" if you view them along side your numbered movies.
- TV series consisting of stand alone short films (such as Masters of Horror) are allowed as long as they meet the 45 minutes or longer time requirement.
- Please use the SPOILER tag to hide any possible spoilers. Remember, a lot of people use these threads for recommendations so let's not ruin anything, regardless of the movie's age.
- No cheating, the Great Pumpkin will know.

xKUb2QE.png

This year we are attempting something new and including 2 mandatory movies. One in the public domain for everyone to watch, and one selected by Divius for Netflix streaming users (or anyone else who has access to it). Please do your best to watch and discuss the movies during the defined period.

White Zombie (1932)
Watch & discuss between October 1st - 15th.
Internet Archive
YouTube
Netflix

Ravenous (1999) (Divius pick)
Watch & discuss between October 16th - 31st.
Netflix

The OPTIONAL Challenges

- Do 1 movie every day, so you end up with a full 31 films as your final total. This year the 31 films total is fully optional. Only attempt this if you have a lot of free time and/or are completely insane and self-abusive.
- As the purpose of this is to expose yourself to new horror films, attempt to watch as many movies you haven't seen as possible. This makes going for the full 31 movies a lot more interesting than slogging though the same movies every year.
- Adding poster images, screenshots, quotes, trailer links, etc to your opinion posts are not mandatory, but will help bring attention to your reviews of each film - especially useful if you feel it's a film worth recommending to other participants.

dVWCAFt.png

Please don't bump old threads, these are listed for reference only.

I'm so excited, although I haven't been posting in the threads in prior years this will be my third year. I'll write up my list later this month but I think this year I want to find some more obscure 60-80's horror movies, or at least some less popular ones.

matt360

Awwwww yeah! Best thread of the year. I'm currently in the middle of a Nightmare on Elm Street marathon as a warm-up to October 1st.

NIGHT-

Just got my blu ray collections of Friday the 13th and nightmare of elm street! The halloween blu ray box set releases the end of this month!! So ready!

I'll try. But there are so many movies I already have seen so there's not many good ones left :/

Sometimes I feel like that, but when I sit down and plan out what I'd like to watch I look into horror sub-genres and realize there's tons I haven't seen.

Like I haven't even touched the Italian cannibal movies. I've been avoiding them because I'm sure they're mostly trash, but at some point they may be interesting to watch as a curiosity.

There's so many good looking films (or at least interesting looking) from the 70s that I've missed too. I'm having a hell of a time trimming down my list this year.

Zombine

Banned
This is my first year being able to post, and I'm so psyched that I finally get to participate this year.

Question though, do AMC marathons count, or do I have to explicitly choose my own film to watch?

This is my first year being able to post, and I so psyched that I finally get to participate this year.

Question. Though, do AMC marathons count, or do I have to explicitly choose my own film to watch?

You can do AMC's marathon if you want. A movie is a movie.

This is my first year being able to post, and I'm so psyched that I finally get to participate this year.

Question though, do AMC marathons count, or do I have to explicitly choose my own film to watch?

I was thinking about sticking to the AMC marathon this year. Still haven't officially participated in this but I think this may be the year. There's a lot of weird/bad movies I want to watch. Problem with me is I have to be in a certain mood to watch a movie and that doesn't always carry through a month. I fucking love October though. The buildup to Halloween is the best.

I'll take a wait and see approach with them this year. The films they showed last Halloween were lazy and lackluster at best. Pokemon X&Y got me through their themed marathons.

I don't really watch AMC's marathon, but didn't they just repeat Halloween 3-5 over and over again last year? I recall leaving the TV on so I could hear the music, but I'm not sure if it was AMC or not.

Zombine

Banned
I don't really watch AMC's marathon, but didn't they just repeat Halloween 3-5 over and over again last year? I recall leaving the TV on so I could hear the music, but I'm not sure if it was AMC or not.

Halloween Marathon, Friday the 13th Marathon leading up to the premiere of the reboot, Nightmare on Elm Street Marathon leading up to the premiere of the reboot, Tremors. That was it. Then they played combinations of that through the month. I was incredibly disappointed.

I just ordered Death Bed: The Bed That Eats off Amazon. Hope it gets here in time for the first week!

Halloween Marathon, Friday the 13th Marathon leading up to the premiere of the reboot, Nightmare on Elm Street Marathon leading up to the premiere of the reboot, Tremors. That was it. Then they played combinations of that through the month. I was incredibly disappointed.

So basically the movies you've seen a million times marathon. Bleh.

i do this every year! glad theres a thread. will watch Hell Raiser 1 and 2 first :)

I started the Hellraiser series with the first marathon and do 2 every year, so Hellraiser: Deader and Hellraiser: Hellworld for me.

I hope Hellworld is as cheesy as it sounds :)

So basically the movies you've seen a million times marathon. Bleh.

I started the Hellraiser series with the first marathon and do 2 every year, so Hellraiser: Deader and Hellraiser: Hellworld for me.

I hope Hellworld is as cheesy as it sounds :)

Hell Raiser 1-4 are all good, after that it gets sort of bad and campy. i really wish a studio would reboot the series with a good script and give it to someone like James Wan or a director who would do the original idea justice.

Hell Raiser 1-4 are all good, after that it gets sort of bad and campy. i really wish a studio would reboot the series with a good script and give it to someone like James Wan or a director who would do the original idea justice.

Honestly, I enjoyed them all. I don't really understand why 5 doesn't get more love. It's a pretty cool little mystery movie.

I don't mind them being campy. 3 was silly as hell and I loved it. 2 is probably my least favorite just because I didn't like how the Cenobites were handled in it, but it had some amazing special effects.

Honestly, I enjoyed them all. I don't really understand why 5 doesn't get more love. It's a pretty cool little mystery movie.

I don't mind them being campy. 3 was silly as hell and I loved it. 2 is probably my least favorite just because I didn't like how the Cenobites were handled in it, but it had some amazing special effects.

Hell Raiser Blood Lines was sort of cool with the demon sub plot but the scifi seemed really weird. would love to see that whole demon plot-line of Blood Lines have another go in a reboot. there was something really bizarre and kinky about a demon and human relationship in the midst of the whole overarching puzzle box plot lol.

Ravager61

Great OP. I haven't participated much in the previous years thread but I've been attempting to do 31 horror movies every october for the past 4 years or so. Still haven't done it. Hopefully participating more in the thread will give me the motivation. Working on my list now.

Hell Raiser Blood Lines was sort of cool with the demon sub plot but the scifi seemed really weird. would love to see that whole demon plot-line of Blood Lines have another go in a reboot. there was something really bizarre and kinky about a demon and human relationship in the midst of the whole overarching puzzle box plot lol.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about Bloodlines. So when I was talking about 5 I meant 6 (Hellseeker). Both were cool mystery movies though.

Bloodlines would be my least fave then. It did have some cool ideas, but it wasn't handled really well. That's one that could really be improved on with a remake.

I'm actually readying the original book now and I'm surprised by how close it is. It's also really, really good.

haikira

I'm psyched! This'll be my third. I think I could have posted more the previous years, but I'll definitely be staying more active this time round.

Going to stock up on some films this week, to go along with whatever Netflix(UK) has in store for me.

Here's what I watched the previous years, if anyone's interested. Hoping to beat last years record, and watch at least 19.

2012 - 2013

Oh yeah, I forgot all about Bloodlines. So when I was talking about 5 I meant 6. Both were cool mystery movies though.

Bloodlines would be my least fave then. It did have some cool ideas, but it wasn't handled really well. That's one that could really be improved on with a remake.

I'm actually readying the original book now and I'm surprised by how close it is. It's also really, really good.

oh yeah for sure, the original Hell Raisor is a master piece, great story, good subplots, and overall good effects and tension build up.

plus you gotta love Frank.

Hellraiser_028_-_Frank_Cotton.jpg

An-Det

Been waiting for this and holding off on watching any horror movies the last few weeks on Netflix/HBO Go/Amazon just for this. I've done this the last few years and it's always a lot of fun, though I have a tendency to skip days and have to cram more on the weekends to catch up. Two mandatories like is a solid compromise, haven't seen either so that will be fun.

I'm hoping that AMC theaters has some good options this year. I first did this in 2011 and they showed The Thing (Carpenter's) in theaters, which was an awesome experience compared to watching it at home. They also did Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein in 2012 (part of a longer thing they were doing). Are there any new horror movies coming in October to theaters that seem decent?

Cuphead

Banned
I am SO IN

Cuphead's October Horror Flicks!

1. You're Next (2011)
2. Rec (2007)
3. Rec 2 (2009)
4. Kill List (2012)
5. Trick r Treat (2012)
6. Resolution (2013)
7. 28 Days Later (2002)
8. 28 Weeks Later (2007)
9. Dream Home (2010)
10.The House of the Devil (2009)
11. House of 1000 Corpses (2003)
12. Willow Creek (2013)
13. The Den (2013)
14.VHS
15.Feast
16. Basket Case
17. Oculus (2013)
18. The Conjuring (2013)
19. VHS Viral (2014)
20. Fright Night (1985)
21. Day of the Dead (1985)
22. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
23 scary movie
24. Scary movie 2
25. Dead Alive

Divius

Damn, the amount of horror movies I have accumulated over the last few weeks are only 14... Time to dig in the previous threads for some recommendations!

Damn, the amount of horror movies I have accumulated over the last few weeks are only 14... Time to dig in the previous threads for some recommendations!

I envy you. I think probably just ordered another 14 on Amazon an hour ago.

*goes back to trimming the list*

Zombine

Banned
VHS 1&2 should be on everyone's list. The Cult flick in 2 was one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a while.

Does the HBO Autopsy series count? Joking aside, I was watching some of them last night and they are beyond creepy. And disturbingly graphic.

matt360

Any word on the progress of Trick 'r Treat 2? Haven't heard anything for a while. I watched part 1 last year for the first time as part of my list and absolutely loved it.

I picked up the OOP Dead Alive bluray so my list has begun. Also might revisit some movies I watched for the first time on 2012 list, I need to finish the Freddy movies, and maybe I'll watch some modern remakes. Does Scanners count as horror?

Divius

If anyone is looking for movies to watch...Here are some of my randomly picked ('lesser known') recommendations from my previous years.

Click the image to see my thoughts on the movies, might contain mild spoilers.

For more: See my previous years: 2011 / 2012 / 2013

Ohhh, that show is so great. I love that one guy with the glasses and Wilford Brimley mustache.

Yea it's incredible how creeped out that show makes me. It must be the constant synth drones and the sometimes shocking crime scene footage. Plus I watch it late at night for some reason.

Wish HBO Go would post the entire series.

impact

Banned
Want to try this year. I don't know about watching White Zombie though, I really doubt I'll be able to finish it. If not I'll still be lurking to steal movies to watch throughout the month regardless. Great thread :)

Mask

I'll definitely be doing this, give or take a few days where I might not be in my house but will try to substitute that with Netflix.

Got my big stack of Italian horror Blurays, Zombie Flesh Eaters, Demons 1&2, The Beyond, etc.. Also planning to watch both Thing movies, original and new, Nightmare on Elm Street collection, Day of the Dead and Return of the Living Dead 1&2.

If anyone is looking for movies to watch...Here are some of my randomly picked ('lesser known') recommendations from my previous years.

Click the image to see my thoughts on the movies, might contain mild spoilers.

For more: See my previous years: 2011 / 2012 / 2013

Thanks Divius. You seem to always have good choices for me. I need to watch the original Maniac after seeing the more recent version with Elijah Wood.

Top Bottom