• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Ive already seen around 200 horror movies this year but im still down.

This past 6 weeks Ive watched

100 Tears
Bleading Lady
Long Pigs
Manuer
Aftermath
Gutterball
Snuffet
Cannibal
3 Cortes
Boarding House
Dellamorte Dellamore
Debris Documentar
Dawn if The Dead
Dead Alive
The Manson Family
Zombie
Deadly Instincts
Devil
Tapeworm
Silence of the Lambs
Rot
Feed
The Exorcist 3
The Quite Ones
Joe Vampire
The Fly 1 and 2
House
Halloween
Maskhead
Voyage to Agatis
Run Bitch Run
Hanger
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1 and 2
Live Feed
Hells Ground
I Spit on Your Grave (Remake)
Creepshow
Dead Nude Girls

If anyone is looking for movies to watch...Here are some of my randomly picked ('lesser known') recommendations from my previous years.

{excellent movies}
X4bHp7V.jpg

{excellent movies}

Click the image to see my thoughts on the movies, might contain mild spoilers.

I second every one of those, especially Blood and Black Lace. Everyone needs to see that.

Metalmarc

Bought the universal monsters bluray collection, nightmare on elmstreet bluray boxset and REC for this

Also i may attempt friday the 13th 4-9 (as i've not got round to watching them yet)
Ive seen 1-3 mutiple times, X several times freddy vs jason a few times and the remake 3 times.

Metalmarc

Also i should add my friend gave me 2 bags full of moatly really cheap and nasty horror dvds for free last month
Theres at least 20 there in my locker at work, haven't got round to bringing them home yet, when i do i'll try have to post a pic to see if any a worth watching.

Divius! I'm watching Maniac because of one of your lists. Thank you. So, so good. It's the remake BTW.

The remake is surprisingly good. Pretty shit writing and questionable handling of female characters (although I suppose that's to be expected in the genre), but the movie is really stylishly executed and makes good on the voyeuristic conceit leading to some really clever and unsettling moments.

Ravager61

I saw the Maniac remake at a midnight grindhouse thing they do once a month in my city and it was one of the more uncomfortable theater experiences I've had. The mark of a truly good horror movie in my mind.

Gameboy415

I am SO in again this year!
I've picked up over 20 horror movies I've never seen (but always want to) in anticipation! :D

Definitely in this year again, but I think I can only do half- thirty is a commitment.

I know a lot of people have seen it from previous threads but Sleepaway Camp (1983) is available on Youtube in HD, complete and uncut. If you haven't seen it and are even remotely interested in teen slasher movies, it's really fun.

Last year I was all about the detective horror, this year I'm really interested in creature flicks and will be looking for things that have fun mythologies and/or effects.

yami4ct

I failed miserably last year, but might give it another go this year. We'll see. Will need to compile a list of stuff I actually have available/want to see first before committing to the whole month.

big ander

I'm not participating this year (I mean I'm always watching about a movie a day, just this year I'm not gonna change that to horror). Posting to follow people along though. I'll probably watch White Zombie too.

a suggestion for an accessible oddity someone might want to try if they need to fill a slot: I saw La Residencia (aka The Finishing School or The House That Screamed) earlier this year and it's really stuck with me. well crafted suspense horror/slasher from Serrador, more well-known for Who Can Kill a Child? This is even better though, a creepy ornate boarding school setting, great performances, very high-wire. It certainly owes a lot to a certain other movie by the end, but naming which one would be a spoiler and I think it takes that movie's ideas even further. The youtube link above is partially dubbed but it's unclear which scenes were natively spanish anyway.

Divius

Thanks Divius. You seem to always have good choices for me. I need to watch the original Maniac after seeing the more recent version with Elijah Wood.

Divius! I'm watching Maniac because of one of your lists. Thank you. So, so good. It's the remake BTW.
Cool! Both the original and the remake are worth watching in my opinion. Especially if you liked one, it's interesting to see the other for comparison since both are unique. The original is just such a sleazefest, I loved it. The remake is just as disturbing but has a totally different vibe, and Elijah Wood brings an entire different class of creepiness to the role.

Divius

I know a lot of people have seen it from previous threads but Sleepaway Camp (1983) is available on Youtube in HD, complete and uncut. If you haven't seen it and are even remotely interested in teen slasher movies, it's really fun.
Should be mandatory for people who haven't seen it yet ;) I enjoyed that so much a few years back.

image.php

a suggestion for an accessible oddity someone might want to try if they need to fill a slot: I saw La Residencia (aka The Finishing School or The House That Screamed) earlier this year and it's really stuck with me.
Thanks for the recommendation, added it to my list! Any big ander suggestion I shall blindly trust.

gabbo

Hoping to join in this year, and get a decent list of stuff I haven't yet watched.
Could be difficult, even for GAF, but I'll try and cull titles from lists in here to see.

late edit: I'm looking for international/non-English movies, though not J-horror or 70's Italian zombie/splatter films if possible. I've burnt myself out on those.

big ander

Are they making VHS 3?
Yep, as 8Bits said it's subtitled Viral. The info:
V/H/S: Viral” features segments from directors Nacho Vigalondo (“Timecrimes”), Marcel Sarmiento (“ABCs of Death” segment “D is for Dogfight”), Gregg Bishop (“The Birds of Anger”), Justin Benson (“Wrecked”) and Todd Lincoln (“The Apparition”).

The segments in “V/H/S: Viral” include the story of a deranged illusionist who obtains a magical object of great power; a homemade machine that opens a door to a parallel world; teenage skaters that unwillingly become targets of a Mexican death cult ritual; and a sinister, shadowy organization that is tracking a serial killer.

The segments are tied together by the story of a group of fame-obsessed teens following a violent car chase in Los Angeles that unwittingly become stars of the next internet sensation.
VOD in late October, 23rd I think. Theatrical not until November.
Should be mandatory for people who haven't seen it yet ;) I enjoyed that so much a few years back.

image.php

Thanks for the recommendation, added it to my list! Any big ander suggestion I shall blindly trust.
Hah hope you enjoy. And good luck, I could never do this as many years in a row as you and others have

Scoot2005

Banned
Cool! Both the original and the remake are worth watching in my opinion. Especially if you liked one, it's interesting to see the other for comparison since both are unique. The original is just such a sleazefest, I loved it. The remake is just as disturbing but has a totally different vibe, and Elijah Wood brings an entire different class of creepiness to the role.

The music in the remake was superb. The camera work was as well. I love the first person perspective when done right, It was nailed in this movie. The migraines, the heartbeats and heavy breathing JUST WOW. So creepy and terrifying.

I'm down this year. I tried last year, but couldn't pull it off. Between school, and crazy production hours, my schedule was just too hectic. This year, shouldn't be a problem. I intend to go slasher crazy. I have a bunch from the 80s and 90s picked out, but I'm really light on modern ones.

gabbo

I'm down this year. I tried last year, but couldn't pull it off. Between school, and crazy production hours, my schedule was just too hectic. This year, shouldn't be a problem. I intend to go slasher crazy. I have a bunch from the 80s and 90s picked out, but I'm really light on modern ones.

Can you point me to your list?
This site: Hysteria Lives is dedicated to slashers, so it might come in handy

Can you point me to your list?
This site: Hysteria Lives is dedicated to slashers, so it might come in handy

I love Hysteria. I also really like Retro Slashers. I definitely plan to scour them for some ideas.

Here's what I have so far:

Friday the 13th Part 2
Friday the 13th Part 4
Friday The 13th Part 6

Halloween
Halloween II
Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers
Halloween 666: The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later

Nightmare on Elm Street
Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3: The Dream Warriors
Nightmare on Elm Street Part 4: The Dream Master
Nightmare on Elm Street Part 5: The Dream Child

See No Evil
See No Evil 2

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Texas Chainsaw Massacre III

The Burning
Hatchet
The Hills Run Red
House of Wax
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Leslie Vernon: Behind the Mask
My Bloody Valentine (2009)
Nightbreed: The Director's Cut
The Prowler
Scream
Sorority Row
Urban Legend
Wrong Turn

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014)

Nightbreed isn't really a slasher, but it has a slasher character. Plus, it's getting an awesome Blu-Ray release next month, so it makes my list. I'm heavy on the big franchises because I have the blur-ray boxsets for each, and want to work through them. Other than that, I'm pretty opened minded about dropping things from my list..

commedieu

Banned
ABC's of horror should be added to alls list.
JugFace - is damn good.
The Machine 2013 - (isn't gore horror, but I think it counts as sci-fi horror)
Jeepers Creepers - honrable mention, its Halloween folks.
The Burbs - more fun Halloween movies.
Munchies - Could be swapped with a favorite Ghoulies movie.
Little Shop Of Horror
Mommy Dearest
Martyrs
Event Horizon
Night of the living Dead
Drag Me To Hell
Blood Glacier - If you liked The Thing..[warning: Horrible dubbing. I mean beyond horrible dubbing]
Dead Silence
They
Jacobs Ladder
The Descent
The Ruins
Frontiers

House of Wax

Hell yah, house of wax(remake?) was fun as heck.

commedieu

Banned
Interest: piqued.

Ratings and reviews aren't very positive, but it looks like it could be fun. Thanks!

meh @ ratings when it comes to horror. Its a fun concept, a nod to the past, some fun science, and I think it (and others) are ushering in "climate change horror" as a category.

EDIT:

!!...BEYOND HORRIBLE DUBBING...!!

Well I'm definitely taking part in this. Horror is my favorite genre by far, and there's a metric fuckton of giallo I've been meaning to see so I think that's gonna be my theme for this. Might sprinkle in some grindhouse cinema too, some of those are too juicy to pass up. Or some 70s too. I'll also probably do one on The Shining too cause it's my GOAT lol. Gonna be hard choosing all these but fun as hell too. Excited for the ride fellow horror enthusiasts :)

-Kees-

I participated in the fist thread in 2011, I somehow saw 35, though a few were only a tad over an hour. I watched Mad Love after having come home from seeing Drive. Here's a link to what I watched in 2011. I watched Re-Animator instead of Creepshow. I haven't participated since because even though I love horror I've already seen so many and really burned through most of the big ones I hadn't seen yet. I still watched a few every October but nothing like I did in 2011. What I wanted to do this year was watch nothing but really obscure and long OOP movies on VHS, but it was just too expensive.

I guess I'll try it again this year, though I really have to dig deep for stuff I want to see. 2 I already know are House and Kuroneko.

commedieu

Banned
Dont do it people. There is like 3 great segments but must just suck. The only reason I still have it in my collection is because L is for Libido

Im stunned 8bits. Stunned.

Most do suck, but its a celebration of horror. D is for Dog is the only reason you should have it on your list.. ;-). Horror is good, horror is bad. But even bad horror is better than most forms of entertainment. In a world where VHS is praised, I think there is more than enough room for ABC's. You can put it on in the background at a party. Or sumfin.

Im stunned 8bits. Stunned.

Most do suck, but its a celebration of horror. D is for Dog is the only reason you should have it on your list.. ;-). Horror is good, horror is bad. But even bad horror is better than most forms of entertainment. In a world where VHS is praised, I think there is more than enough room for ABC's. You can put it on in the background at a party. Or sumfin.

I'll take The Theatre Bizarre over ABC's and VHS. Its a god damn shame The Theatre Bizarre 2: Grand Guignol hasnt happened yet. I do have high hopes The Profane Exhibit

big ander

man, you really do want to hurt yourself.

They're what I watched for the 2012 one, and they're mostly easy to watch. All of the first 4 are good (Final Chapter and 3-D are great), from there on...yeah you kinda have to look hard for the bright spots.

commedieu

Banned
I'll take The Theatre Bizarre over ABC's and VHS. Its a god damn shame The Theatre Bizarre 2: Grand Guignol hasnt happened yet. I do have high hopes The Profane Exhibit

Hmm.. how do you take Theater Bizarre in relation to Repo: The Genetic Opera..? (WAIT, I thought you meant The Devils carnival.. is theater bizzare the one with the person inside of the theater by themselves -- with the bad guy from Blade. Udo Kier, as a paper mache/puppet.. thats the main presenter of all the screenings?

I can see that VHS/ABC has shortcomings, but I do appreciate the efforts made and the diverse view of "horror" from different sources. As a creative project, I think both do things that our standards of horror today don't do. Fresh, weird, ideas. That may make us squirm some. Or, laugh as a response to how over the top it is, how outlandish it is.

If thats the one im thinking, I think they all should reserve a space for the MONTH of halloween. Horror should be fun and weird, and "well, i could see what they were going for, but they didn't pull it off.."

Hmm.. how do you take Theater Bizarre in relation to Repo: The Genetic Opera..? (WAIT, I thought you meant The Devils carnival.. is theater bizzare the one with the person inside of the theater by themselves -- with the bad guy from Blade. Udo Kier, as a paper mache/puppet.. thats the main presenter of all the screenings?

wait.... what?...im lost

Yeah Theater Bizarre is with Udo Kier

-duskdoll-

Btw, i HIGHLY recommend this movie. It came out this year and it's probably the most realistic demonic possession film I've ever watched.

Deliver_Us_from_Evil_(2014_film)_poster.jpg

-duskdoll-

Im a sucker for demonic possession...

better be good duskdoll..

Me too. I expected to be disappointed going in because horror movies haven't been as good lately, but i was so wrong. Great story, great acting AND Olivia Munn is in it. What more could you want?

Might I recommend, Dellamorte Dellamore aka Cemetery Man. I love how weird it is, and I also really enjoy the dark humor.

I loves me some Dellamorte Dellamore.

I just wish it was easier to get a hold of so I could make it the mandatory movie and force it upon everyone. Muhahaha!

Top Bottom