• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling is being sued by Digital Homicide

dogpowerd

Banned
According to SidAlpha, Digital Homicide is now suing 100 Steam Users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKqxAFHqQ7k

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6FG7o2HBZWlbHRCcXJpSDNibm8?pageId=105390416713216118855

EDIT: And according to MMOFallout, they're subpoenaed Valve for the personal information of those 100 users.

http://mmofallout.com/james-romine-subpoenas-valve-for-steam-user-details/

Just... oh my...

Ahahaha "Lets try and bully the largest platform for PC games in the world. This is definitely going work in our favour!"

Tecnniqe

Banned
Hopefully their legal team is as proactive as their customer service. Let Digital Homicide wait for eternity.

... Or just kick them off the sotre, which Valve should have done ages ago.
I hope Valve shut this down and kicks then out of Steam because of this.
Man, there shenanigans with lawsuits is a hell of a lot more fun than there games. I wonder if people are tempted to fund them to keep this train rolling.
People already are

Lamptramp

On a 100% completely unrelated note....

qfF1q4i.png

Heheheheheheheh

I feel bad. This guy obviously suffers from some sort of mental illness. It honestly breaks my heart just thinking about it.
It seems to be some sort of disorder that is a subset of schizophrenia. If anything we should get this guy help rather than laugh at him.
If I remember he said he has a daughter? I wonder if she inhereted any of these issues.
If this guy cant have any sense of self awareness I can only imagine what his kids n family are going through.

It's two guys. They agreed together that the best way stop people saying their shitty games are shitty is to sue fucking everyone. They both agreed that learning enough legal parlance and procedure to self-represent is a better use of their time than developing better games. They believed they'd have the crowdfunding support to fund their case, suing consumers is the best way to progress this case and that roping Valve into this is the best way to salvage their reputation. These guys are clearing fucking delusional, and I agree that there very well could be some mental health issues involved.

Yvesdropping.

Well done. Today, the internet shall be yours.

You guys are mean!

How else are you supposed to fund the next 49.8 asset fli... games you plan on making over the next few weeks without suing everything that moves?

oni-link

I feel like they're only doing this now to stop Jim talking about them, and if that was the goal it's working

They got what they wanted

That is, until this all blows up in their faces

I'm legit impressed at the situation here.

They want personal information on some steam users ? for what purpose ?

This is stupid on so many levels ... what's the point ?
You claim you want to be left alone to "devellop" games and make a living but every step you make is total nonsense and against that

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The guy must be pretty stupid to take on not only Jim but fucking Valve as well.

danowat

Banned
This is one of those things that has just spiraled out of control, it's gone too far for DH to pull back, they are balls deep now and just can't withdraw.

Can't wait for the moneyshot.

Tecnniqe

Banned

You claim you want to be left alone to "devellop" games and make a living but every step you make is total nonsense and against that
They want their personal info so they can sue them for... Slander? Saying naught words?

It's great PR you know, until someone counter sue you for, eh, harassing them by pointing them out in some grand conspiracy?

I don't even know how these people function every single day.

Also I heard 4chan talked bad about them, and Reddit. Oh and GAF too. So many lawsuits incoming. Hold on to your keyboards everyone! Winters coming!

I feel bad. This guy obviously suffers from some sort of mental illness. It honestly breaks my heart just thinking about it.
It seems to be some sort of disorder that is a subset of schizophrenia. If anything we should get this guy help rather than laugh at him.
If I remember he said he has a daughter? I wonder if she inhereted any of these issues.
If this guy cant have any sense of self awareness I can only imagine what his kids n family are going through.
They want to sue innocent people for literally millions of $. They are trying to squeeze people dry for calling their games what they are.

They don't even deserve a tiny bit of sympathy when they inevitable get to pay all legal fees.

Cheerilee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

A strategic lawsuit against public participation (SLAPP) is a lawsuit that is intended to censor, intimidate, and silence critics by burdening them with the cost of a legal defense until they abandon their criticism or opposition.[1]

The typical SLAPP plaintiff does not normally expect to win the lawsuit. The plaintiff's goals are accomplished if the defendant succumbs to fear, intimidation, mounting legal costs or simple exhaustion and abandons the criticism.

A SLAPP may also intimidate others from participating in the debate.

DH wants Valve to give them the names/addresses of Steam users who gave their shit games some bad user reviews, that way DH can waste their time walking over to the courthouse to file lawsuits against random Steam users (rather than... I dunno... learning how to make videogames), and those random gamers will then need to lawyer up and defend themselves from frivolous lawsuits or risk losing potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars (or even millions) due to some random legal quirk. And since the average gamer doesn't want to get fucking sued for leaving a user review, DH is hoping that making an example out of a few easy targets will scare people away from saying mean things about them.

I hope Valve defends against this with an expensive legal team, and Valve wins while DH is forced to pay Valve's legal costs. And then DH goes bankrupt and is driven out of the videogame industry.

Shai-Tan

Banned

I think this can happen when someone works in isolation and puts too much of their identity in something that hasn't gotten feedback, One of my jobs is looking at business plans in the software industry and I see this even from people who are MIT educated to act very defensive and make it difficult to let go despite it being obvious from the outside that there are glaring flaws; part of the reason is they spent several years coming up with what they imagined was a great idea that needed to be kept secret (and yet I see similar ideas every week).

It also isn't only about the idea or the sunken costs from the years of work it's maintenance of outward identity to other people in their life which they can't bear to see altered. That doesn't excuse subsequent behavior but I see this externalizing all the time in lawsuits in startups, very often from people who only have their incompetence to blame for why they failed and their company is failing. I imagine it's similar in making games to put significant effort into something that you fall in love with as an idea and put yourself into it which makes criticism about the product almost like criticism of the person in their mind.

Steroyd

I think Jim is a lot wiser than these filth merchants and stays silent on the issue while the case against him is still open, not because he *has to but because its the far more sensible option.

That's why I said currently 3 times, the moment the case is closed you can bet your ass we'll be in for a glorius Jimquisition on the matter.

I think this can happen when someone works in isolation and puts too much of their identity in something that hasn't gotten feedback, One of my jobs is looking at business plans in the software industry and I see this even from people who are MIT educated to act very defensive and make it difficult to let go despite it being obvious from the outside that there are glaring flaws; part of the reason is they spent several years coming up with what they imagined was a great idea that needed to be kept secret (and yet I see similar ideas every week).

It also isn't only about the idea or the sunken costs from the years of work it's maintenance of outward identity to other people in their life which they can't bear to see altered. That doesn't excuse subsequent behavior but I see this externalizing all the time in lawsuits in startups, very often from people who only have their incompetence to blame for why they failed and their company is failing. I imagine it's similar in making games to put significant effort into something that you fall in love with as an idea and put yourself into it which makes criticism about the product almost like criticism of the person in their mind.

An excellent post - thankyou!

Gattsu25

Banned
I don't understand.

I can see how they might think they can get away with suing Jim Sterling. They obviously can't, but suing one guy is atleast comprehensible, within the bounds of plausibiltiy.

How the fuck do they think they can get away with suing 100 people and make 18 mill out of this?

They can't possibly think they'll win....what the fuck do they think their going to walk away from this with?
I imagine they are trying to follow on the footsteps of copyright trolls. This is what copyright trolls do:

1. Use the court system to find the details on hundreds (or more).
2. Have no actual intention of taking ANY of these users to trial.
3. Send letters threatening the now unearthed users threatening then with the maximum penalty actionable for the type of lawsuit they are preparing. They want to scare users into compliance more than anything else
4. Instead, in their letters, propose a settlement for $1,000 - $3,000 individually.
5. A few of the people will fall for it and settle with them.
6. They pocket that money and then drop the lawsuits.

That's the copyright troll playbook. Let's see if that is what this is.

Courts have been wising up to this and have started to deny requests, also

I remember looking at their gofundme total about 3 or 4 months ago and it stood at $425.

Today it stands at...............$425.

All going well then.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Digital Homicide: "Gabe, we're suing you for usernames"

Gabe:
200_s.gif
But they have the usernames... they're suing for the real names and, presumably, addresses.

What a poorly constructed complaint. The causes of action are just inexplicable. I realize he's a pro se litigant, but, damn. He really shouldn't have even bothered.

Count I - Conspiracy to Commit Violation of Civil Rights -- Nope.

Count II - Disorderly Conduct -- What the fuck? Nope.

Counts III - Stalking -- Sues under a criminal statute. I can find no civil cause of action in Arizona for "stalking."

Count IV - Harassment -- Sues under a criminal statute. I can find no civil cause of action in Arizona for "harassment".

Count V - Criminal Impersonation -- Sues under a criminal statute. I can find no civil cause of action in Arizona for "criminal impersonation," though identity theft and/or, possibly, invasion of privacy are potential analogues for the facts he's alleging.

Count VI - Tortious Intentional Interference with Contractual Relations with Valve -- Finally, an actual, potentially appropriate, cause of action. However, Arizona requires a plaintiff to allege that they "suffered damages due to the breach or termination of the contractual relationship," and Romine fails to allege that Digital Homicides' contract with Valve was breached or terminated in any way. So...

Count VII - Tortious Intentional Interference with Contractual Relations with Digital Homicide Studios LLC -- What the fuck?

Count VIII - Libel Per Se - I think Romine misunderstands the type of statements which constitute libel per se versus libel per quod. There may be a cognizable claim here for libel per quod, but not per se.

Count IX - Unjust Enrichment - What the fuck? He doesn't make a claim for unjust enrichment, and asks for damages equal to anything the purported defendants have ever made or ever will make from anything video game related, from creating games, to streaming/publishing videos on Twitch and YouTube. Just, wow.

Count X - Restitution -- Again, what the fuck? There is no cause of action for restitution.

Count XI - Negligence -- Other than the fact that Romine has alleged nothing but intentional acts, there's nothing wrong with this claim. He uses the language "reckless disregard" with indicates to me that maybe he meant to file a claim for wantonness? Who knows.

Other than the issues above, the biggest thing that sticks out to me, is that Romine doesn't even seem to have standing to assert these claims. All of these claims, to the extent that they exist, would seem to belong to Digital Homicide Studios LLC. Hell, Romine even realizes this with respect to his Criminal Impersonation claim, where he writes:

143. This cause of action may not be representable by The Plaintiff except by The Plaintiff's ownership of 35% of Digital Homicide Studios LLC. This representation is left up to the The Court. Cause of action dropped if The Court decides against.​

I'm not sure why he thought there might be an issue with respect to this claim, but not to the others.

Of course, we know why he filed suit as an individual and not as Digital Homicide Studios LLC: corporations are not allowed to represent themselves pro se in federal court. They must be represented by an attorney. Even if Digital Homicide could find an attorney willing to take the case, I doubt they'd find one willing to do this on contingency. "Sure, let's sue 100 random Steam users. I'm sure our potential $18m judgement will absolutely be collectable." Nope.

Tecnniqe

Banned

DH wants Valve to give them the names/addresses of Steam users who gave their shit games some bad user reviews, that way DH can waste their time walking over to the courthouse to file lawsuits against random Steam users (rather than... I dunno... learning how to make videogames), and those random gamers will then need to lawyer up and defend themselves from frivolous lawsuits or risk losing potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars (or even millions) due to some random legal quirk. And since the average gamer doesn't want to get fucking sued for leaving a user review, DH is hoping that making an example out of a few easy targets will scare people away from saying mean things about them.

I hope Valve defends against this with an expensive legal team, and Valve wins while DH is forced to pay Valve's legal costs. And then DH goes bankrupt and is driven out of the videogame industry.
A huge SLAPP in the face, is what they need.

They want their personal info so they can sue them for... Slander? Saying naught words?

It's great PR you know, until someone counter sue you for, eh, harassing them by pointing them out in some grand conspiracy?

I don't even know how these people function every single day.

Also I heard 4chan talked bad about them, and Reddit. Oh and GAF too. So many lawsuits incoming. Hold on to your keyboards everyone! Winters coming!

Thanks for the replies.
But that is still stupid on too many levels

Top Bottom