• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders Review Thread

Wereroku

It's not deleted as far as I can tell

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/55309y/just_a_warning_to_those_wanting_to_purchase/

Could be that importing screwed something, but the framerate stutter is there even on a new save. They screwed something up with the localized build.

Ahhh I saw this one Link. We will have to see though I am sure some of these reviewers would have run into sub 15 frame rates and commented on it.

This info about the frame rates means I'm not buying day 1. Even if it's overblown and exaggerated, I want more retail level impressions. Game is a lot of fun, but shitty lag fests are absolutely inexcusable in this day and age.

Never a bad plan to avoid games if you aren't sure of the performance plus the preorder stuff isn't that amazing since you can't get all of them unless you preorder on PSN.

gwarm01

I never thought I'd have the problem of too many Dragon Quest games to play! I'm still early in DQ7, now I have this coming next week. Not to mention I've also purchased Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and in the coming months have World of Final Fantasy, FFXV, and Persona 5. I never thought I'd be faced with a lineup like this again in my lifetime. Reminds me of the summer that FF8 and Legend of Mana came out, plus tons of Dreamcast games.

Probably because they want other games as well.

I was surprised to not find this on Steam myself.

It'll probably come a bit later down the line. A couple of months.

And let's be real, if your at all into these sort of Japanese games and you don't have either a PS4 or PC (or both like me)...

Reggiewhatswrongwithyou.gif

Pretty sad :(
Doesn't look like any reviews mention it so most people probably won't care. Bummer
EDIT

Just found this on Reddit. I definitely won't buy this day one now. pre order cancelled

I kinda wish Digital Foundry would look at this so there's proof

You could probably ask John from Digital Foundry here or on Twitter @dark1x

Im still buying day one but yea this is super disappointing.

tensuke

Demo was great besides the wonky controls, so I'm glad it's reviewing pretty well. Definitely thinking about picking it up.

Killing that dragon, man...sob

The framerate thing on PS4 didn't stop bothering so I tried to find out what causes it and I think I kind of did. I don't know the reason, but I know how to reproduce and even avoid it.

As far as I can tell the framerate only stutters if you have a placeable item (like an earth block) equipped and the framerate is (mostly) smooth when you don't. It's easy to reproduce and it's not hard to notice when you look for it. Build a tower as high as you can (above the starting area works well, build a tower by placing block under you after jumping by looking down (L1 or R1)). Unequip the block with the dpad and turn the camera around for a while. Smooth. Now equip the earth block again and do the same and notice how the mountains in the background judder every few seconds. If you're more sensitive you'll see the same issue when just running around and turning the camera anywhere. Nothing equipped: smooth, block equipped: microstutter. I find the difference super obvious. And just to confirm: This doesn't happen at all in the Japanese demo.

Please try it out yourself (if you care) and tell me what you think.

Now the question is, how do we make SE aware of the issue so they can fix it?

N° 2048

The framerate thing on PS4 didn't stop bothering so I tried to find out what causes is and I think I kind of did. I don't know the reason, but I know how to reproduce and even avoid it.

As far as I can tell the framerate only stutters if you have a placeable item (like an earth block) equipped and the framerate is (mostly) smooth when you don't. It's easy to reproduce and it's not hard to notice when you look for it. Build a tower as high as you can (above the starting area works well, build a tower by placing block under you after jumping by looking down (L1 or R1)). Unequip the block with the dpad and turn the camera around for a while. Smooth. Now equip the earth block again and do the same and notice how the mountains in the background judder every few seconds. If you're more sensitive you'll see the same issue when just running around. Nothing equipped: smooth, block equipped: microstutter. I find the difference super obvious. It's weird. And just to confirm: This doesn't happen at all in the Japanese demo.

Please try it out yourself and tell me what you think.

Thanks for doing this, I know it'll bug me so I'm also determined to help get a patch out.

Maybe if we start tweeting the devs, publisher and maybe @dark1x (Digital Foundry).
If you link it here, we can retweet it and get something rolling.

Thanks for doing this, I know it'll bug me so I'm also determined to help get a patch out.

Maybe if we start tweeting the devs, publisher and maybe @dark1x (Digital Foundry).

I'll try that tomorrow during business hours

I still hope they fix it but for now I'm happy since it can be avoided most of the time. Just remember to unequip your building stuff after you're done

The framerate thing on PS4 didn't stop bothering so I tried to find out what causes is and I think I kind of did. I don't know the reason, but I know how to reproduce and even avoid it.

As far as I can tell the framerate only stutters if you have a placeable item (like an earth block) equipped and the framerate is (mostly) smooth when you don't. It's easy to reproduce and it's not hard to notice when you look for it. Build a tower as high as you can (above the starting area works well, build a tower by placing block under you after jumping by looking down (L1 or R1)). Unequip the block with the dpad and turn the camera around for a while. Smooth. Now equip the earth block again and do the same and notice how the mountains in the background judder every few seconds. If you're more sensitive you'll see the same issue when just running around and turning the camera anywhere. Nothing equipped: smooth, block equipped: microstutter. I find the difference super obvious. And just to confirm: This doesn't happen at all in the Japanese demo.

Please try it out yourself (if you care) and tell me what you think.

What if it's fixed in the released game? Maybe the demo was not the game's final build.

I'm really looking forward to this game! I love the presentation, from the art style to the music. It just feels very polished overall. I'm very happy to see that there seems to be a breadth of content in this game. In my play through of the demo, I didn't have the itch that some players seem to have in actually building structures for the hell of it, but I still had a ton of fun following the gameplay loop and progressing through the quests. Maybe in the full game I'll end up being drawn to making things actually look nice rather than function efficiently as possible at the cost of aesthetic beauty.

danthefan

Yep... Think I'll be buying this. Had no real knowledge of it but looks really good fun.

Anyone know how the Vita version runs or is it even coming out on Vita in the West?

Arkeband

Banned

I tweeted DF and @DragonQuest about the bugs, making sure to reference DQ7's bug too with DF so they can call out the trend for what it is, and hopefully get the devs to respond to both.

According to some sites DQ7's framerate seems to worsen if 3DS wi-fi is turned on, although we know with hacked firmware the problem disappears if the game is allowed to run with the N3DS increased cache and processor. Either way the issues aren't present in the JP versions.

Tohsaka

Yep... Think I'll be buying this. Had no real knowledge of it but looks really good fun.

Anyone know how the Vita version runs or is it even coming out on Vita in the West?

Vita version is digital-only in the west, there's an Asian English physical version you can get from Play-Asia though if you don't mind importing.

sublimit

Banned
Is there any possibility for cross play to be implemented later on?That might make me buy the Vita version as well regardless of its shortcomings.

Lucreto

Does the Japanese version have the framerate issue? That's been out since January so if it's an issue that can be fixed they would have done it by now.

SomTervo

The concept was rock solid, glad they managed to execute on it.

Does it have co-op? That's crucial to capturing part of Minecraft's appeal.

Edit: Googled it

No co-op

Le sigh

Well I just asked a friend who has the retail build and he said the stutter is present in the final build and he noticed it immediately. I linked him to your post and gamefaqs thread about it. meh. Doubt SE will even patch this. It took them ages to patch FFX HD on PS4 for the audio loop thing.

Why would the Western version have FPS issues that the Japanese version wouldn't have? I am quoting you so we can draw some more attention to the issue. Paging DigitalFoundry!

Just bought this. A pre load would be nice

Pretty sure the PS4 version has preloaded for me. At least, it appeared in my XMB with a countdown.

moozoom

Been playing this for hours since I got the game last week (thanks parisian Game shops) and I didn't notice any particular stuttering, and if there is, it didn't dether for my enjoyment of the game - which I find fantastic.

Then again I'm the kind of person who can't even grasp what frame pacing is, is not really bothered by light framerate issues (unless it's a real mess, I'm not completely blind).

The first day I played since 8pm to 5am non-stop, and I had to force myself to shut the ps4 down to grab some hours of sleep before work. This game is addictive.

Gunna pre-order this tonight. Was gunna get it on Vita, but I don't see it on PSN.

Since I'm getting fiber optics today, I'm gunna get it for PS4 then use remote play until I get the Vita version on sale.

timberger

Surprised. Was sure this would be shit on big time by the media.

Liked the demo so I'll pick it up... hopefully it'll soothe the disappointment of DQVII 3DS recently rather than pick up the baton and keep it going.

Metacritic at 85 now. Microstuttering or not the game is getting seriously good reviews for a niche Japanese release. Genuinely surprised and has helped cement my purchasing decision.

Ferr986

Man this framerate talk is dissapointing. I already noticed it on the demo but it sucks that only happens with the western version.

This just add to a pile of other concerns I have for this game after trying the demo even though I have it preordered and I still liked the core of the game.

JJShadow

Seriously thinking about trading in my Mafia 3 copy and picking this one up instead after all those reviews. My main concern is: does the game have an actual story and missions/quests to follow? I've never liked Minecraft that much because of the lack of actual objectives/quests

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Damn, should I pick this up or Exist Archive? I need to know what's a fun and better game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Get both.

As much as I want to, I'll be getting WoFF within the month.

Not to mention I've barely started DQ7 and hopefully finish ToCS2 within the week. :/

Seriously thinking about trading in my Mafia 3 copy and picking this one up instead after all those reviews. My main concern is: does the game have an actual story and missions/quests to follow? I've never liked Minecraft that much because of the lack of actual objectives/quests

Yes. Read the US Gamer review.

Tohsaka

Why would the Western version have FPS issues that the Japanese version wouldn't have? I am quoting you so we can draw some more attention to the issue. Paging DigitalFoundry!

Pretty sure the PS4 version has preloaded for me. At least, it appeared in my XMB with a countdown.

The western version of DQVII has laggy battle menus that aren't present in the Japanese version, too. SE has been screwing something up in their recent localizations somehow.

As much as I want to, I'll be getting WoFF within the month.

Not to mention I've barely started DQ7 and hopefully finish ToCS2 within the week. :/
Lol same here can't wait for woff. I went with builders it's fun in long or short bursts. Exist archive kind of threw me off with the artstyle and the battle system didn't really look to fun for me

Top Bottom