• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders Review Thread

hampig

I've been looking around and finding not much on this.

Can anybody tell me if there is weather in this game? Rain or storms?

Wereroku

The framerate thing on PS4 didn't stop bothering so I tried to find out what causes it and I think I kind of did. I don't know the reason, but I know how to reproduce and even avoid it.

As far as I can tell the framerate only stutters if you have a placeable item (like an earth block) equipped and the framerate is (mostly) smooth when you don't. It's easy to reproduce and it's not hard to notice when you look for it. Build a tower as high as you can (above the starting area works well, build a tower by placing block under you after jumping by looking down (L1 or R1)). Unequip the block with the dpad and turn the camera around for a while. Smooth. Now equip the earth block again and do the same and notice how the mountains in the background judder every few seconds. If you're more sensitive you'll see the same issue when just running around and turning the camera anywhere. Nothing equipped: smooth, block equipped: microstutter. I find the difference super obvious. And just to confirm: This doesn't happen at all in the Japanese demo.

Please try it out yourself (if you care) and tell me what you think.

Now the question is, how do we make SE aware of the issue so they can fix it?

No wonder I never ran into this issue then. I always pulled out the club unless I was actively building something. Explains why some reviewers never experienced it as. Such a weird bug to introduce simply from adding english text.

Still buying it Day 1, but might stick with the Japanese version for now until they fix it. This game deserve that much.

If it is like Yian said just pull out your weapon before you start wondering around and you should be good to go.

This thread has sold me on this game, and I haven't even played the demo yet( just started the PS4 download). A little bummed that the Vita version doesn't seem quite up to par, my Vita could use some new game love, and I think I'm more likely to play this game on the go more than at home.

Arkeband

Banned
I made a thread on the DQ subreddit and I got these responses:

I noticed some lag in VII, but it doesn't bother me. Am I the outlier?
But...It's just lag...Does this really need to be addressed? It's not like it's a major AAA game that has it's frame rate locked to 30FPS.
cough Mafia 3 cough
Dude, I'm experiencing no problems. It's not a game breaking thing.
Look, we got our games we thought we wouldn't get. We could at least not be spoiled about it. Who cares if there is one or two things wrong? I am just greatful we got the games

sigh. The pitchforks were out when FFX/X-2 had screwed up RNG and broken music looping, the DQ fanbase is just like "wut so its a little slow y u r complaining???"

I made a thread on the DQ subreddit and I got these responses:

sigh. The pitchforks were out when FFX/X-2 had screwed up RNG and broken music looping, the DQ fanbase is just like "wut so its a little slow y u r complaining???"

I love how people get upset over the fact that other people have an issue with a game that shouldn't be there, and are right for feelnig that way. ITs baffling people don't want the best experience they can possibly get.

"I don't notice" or "Doesn't bother me" are responses to frame rate issues you even get on GAF

It's not gamebreaking, but its there and shouldn't be. It also should be easily fixable

Asking SE for a response doesn't hurt anyone. If most people don't care about the frame rate, then pointing out the issue won't hurt the game's success anyway

Wereroku

"I don't notice" or "Doesn't bother me" are responses to frame rate issues you even get on GAF

It's not gamebreaking, but its there and shouldn't be. It also should be easily fixable

Asking SE for a response doesn't hurt anyone. If most people don't care about the frame rate, then pointing out the issue won't hurt the game's success anyway

I understand why some people just don't care since it isn't a huge problem and can be avoided. But yeah shouldn't mean folks who have a problem shouldn't complain. Fixing it wouldn't hurt anyone.

PS4 or Vita version, so torn :( Wish this was Crossbuy

So was/am I. I downloaded the demo for both and played them side by side last night. Well to be exact, I fired up the Ps4 version first before playing the Vita version, and it was definitely a bit jarring seeing how much lower the graphic bar is on the latter. It certainly doesn't represent the best visuals possible on the Vita, but I guess the scale of the game meant certain compromises had to be made. All that said, while I'm leaning towards the Ps4 version I'm not sure if its a game where cutting edge graphics are all that important, and I feel like this is a game I'd play more on the go. My main concerns are control and framerate stability. I think the Vita graphics would be more 'forgivable' so to speak if we didn't have the ps4 version to compare to.

Also, loved the classic overworld theme. I haven't really played Dragon Quest(Warrior) other than the early NES titles( I do have DQIX on Ds sitting in my ever-expanding backlog), so hearing that theme definitely tickled the nostalgia nerve.

Top Bottom