• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black vet's food taken at behest of Trump supporter at Chili's; Chili's apologizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apocryphon

True, there's also this to consider, but the point was that she's long since taken responsibility for it and not just in her words, but her actions as well. Trump has done nothing

She appologised when she was confronted by Black Lives Matters activists. Even Bernie criticised her use of the term. Racist is racist is racist. If you think the Clinton's are and different to Trump I'm terms of moral values your kidding yourself. The difference is that the Clintons are smart and Trump now a clown. That didn't help them win the election though.

Trump hasn't had time to act on anything yet. He certainly didn't do enough to distance himself from white supremacist groups, and he should really go on TV and call these people out, but people aren't racist because of Donald Trump. I think the country is divided enough as it is without every crime or hieness act being politicised. It called the United States but there isn't much uniting it at all.

If he acts on many of his campaign promises then fuck him. But I think you'll find that he won't be building a wall and he won't be mass deporting people and he won't be banning all Muslims from entering the country. They were never likely to happen. The dude is a car salesman.

She appologised when she was confronted by Black Lives Matters activists. Even Bernie criticised her use of the term. Racist is racist is racist. If you think the Clinton's are and different to Trump I'm terms of moral values your kidding yourself. The difference is that the Clintons are smart and Trump now a clown. That didn't help them win the election though.

Trump hasn't had time to act on anything yet. He certainly didn't do enough to distance himself from white supremacist groups, and he should really go on TV and call these people out, but people aren't racist because of Donald Trump. I think the country is divided enough as it is without every crime or hieness act being politicised. It called the United States but there isn't much uniting it at all.

If he acts on many of his campaign promises then fuck him. But I think you'll find that he won't be building a wall and he won't be mass deporting people and he won't be banning all Muslims from entering the country. They were never likely to happen. The dude is a car salesman.

Why are you supporting Trump? You ignore my point about the Central Park rapes and him not apologizing (if that isn't enough time, what is?). You ignore the fact he HAS been confronted numerous times and hasn't apologized any of them. If you honestly think the only difference between the Clintons and Trump is them being smart, then I don't know what to say to you, because you're clearing glossing over everything being said and done by both parties

Man if I were there I would've asked to see the asshole who dares have a veterens meal taken away.

These people claim to be patriotic yet tarnish the small scrapes of dignity we still have.

Personally even if a Trump administration did nothing for its 4-8 years, it will still serve to stain the fabrics of our nation through the emboldening of these cowardly racists.

A WW2 vet for fucks sake. The man is literally apart of the last generation of soldiers that you can objectively call heroes.

when an elderly customer wearing a Trump shirt came up to him. “He said he was in Germany, and that they did not let Blacks serve over there,” Walker wrote.

I had a great uncle who served in WWI as the person in charge of an all black unit (for the record, he was white). There job was to go into areas where mustard gas was used and bury dead animals (and transport any dead human bodies they found back to HQ). I somehow doubt this idiot's claim that he was in Germany in any form.

a916

Man if I were there I would've asked to see the asshole who dares have a veterens meal taken away.

These people claim to be patriotic yet tarnish the small scrapes of dignity we still have.

Personally even if a Trump administration did nothing for its 4-8 years, it will still serve to stain the fabrics of our nation through the emboldening of these cowardly racists.

A WW2 vet for fucks sake. The man is literally apart of the last generation of soldiers that you can objectively call heroes.

Reading this story angers me, you see one side of the coin, that racist trump supporter, where's the other side? That SHOULD be sticking up for this war veteran?

As someone's that's Black and took offense to Clinton's comments (and her husband's policy of locking up Black men) You're creating a false equivalence. There's a difference in a politician saying something racist or doing something racist and admitting it's a fuck up compared to a man who ran on a platform of it. I mean, for fuck's sake he's appointing the head of Brietbart to his cabinet....like, c'mon son...

I'd also like to point out that we're at now, now. I'm not "worried" about twenty years ago. Myself and millions of others are worried about now. The rhetoric Trump has put out has a direct influence on people. Why you're not focused on that and more focused on "But, Clinton too!" is beyond me.

Reading this story angers me, you see one side of the coin, that racist trump supporter, where's the other side? That SHOULD be sticking up for this war veteran?

Probably arguing that Clinton was just as bad...

So if she had just said "Wrong" or "I never said that" all would be fine right? Or do lies only work for the right? At least she admitted a mistake and apologized for it, which is the better thing to do when you have egg on your face than to double down.

Apocryphon

Why are you supporting Trump? You ignore my point about the Central Park rapes and him not apologizing (if that isn't enough time, what is?). You ignore the fact he HAS been confronted numerous times and hasn't apologized any of them. If you honestly think the only difference between the Clintons and Trump is them being smart, then I don't know what to say to you, because you're clearing glossing over everything being said and done by both parties

I don't follow. He signed a full page ad petitioning the reinstatement of the death penalty for a horrific crime.

The NYPD had already arrested them, beaten confessions out of them and charged them with the crime before Trump was involved. They were convicted by two juries and went to prison before being released on appeal.

As far as Trump knew, they were guilty. What is it that makes him racist?

Kreed

An accomplice to what? He isn't in office yet and nobody (likely even Trump) knows what he will actually do yet.

Clinton called black males "super predators". Do you think all of her voters are aligned with that way of thinking?

1) No Hillary didn't. Hillary in the speech with the super predator's comment was talking about cracking down on gangs in connection to Bill Clinton's 1994 crime bill. But because the crime bill sent a disproportionate amount of black people to jail, the connection was made to black people after the fact, but never directly.

2) If we were talking about comments Trump made in 1996 like Hillary's "super predator" comment, and not 2015-16 comments Trump made during his election campaign in order to attract voters with those statements, there would be much less of a problem, since we would have had over 20 years for Trump to clean up his act.

The difference between Clinton and Trump is that Trump campaigned on promises like building a wall, Muslim bans, punishing journalists, etc... that fueled behavior from groups of people that needed to be extinguished. Now we have reports like this story and elsewhere on people being harassed by Trump supporters that feel embolden by his victory because of this rhetoric. Trump didn't make these people racist, but he validated their behavior and regardless of what he says or does now these people have what he did during his campaign as motivation for their actions.

I don't follow. He signed a full page ad petitioning the reinstatement of the death penalty for a horrific crime.

The NYPD had already arrested them, beaten confessions out of them and charged them with the crime before Trump was involved. They were convicted by two juries and went to prison before being released on appeal.

You're forgetting the part where he doubled down after they were released on appeal.... It would help if you actually took the time to educate yourself on these issues:

Mr. Trump has also suggested that the teenagers were guilty of something that night because, as he wrote in an editorial for The New York Daily News in 2014, “these young men do not exactly have the pasts of angels.”

As someone's that's Black and took offense to Clinton's comments (and her husband's policy of locking up Black men) You're creating a false equivalence. There's a difference in a politician saying something racist or doing something racist and admitting it's a fuck up compared to a man who ran on a platform of it. I mean, for fuck's sake he's appointing the head of Brietbart to his cabinet....like, c'mon son...

I'd also like to point out that we're at now, now. I'm not "worried" about twenty years ago. Myself and millions of others are worried about now. The rhetoric Trump has put out has a direct influence on people. Why you're not focused on that and more focused on "But, Clinton too!" is beyond me.

Probably arguing that Clinton was just as bad...

Right. Trump is less likely to follow through on those crazy campaign promises but he is setting a tone which enables and emboldens crazy fucking white supremacists. When you figure how this affects minorities on a local level, you realize their daily interactions with law enforcement, which historically has been full of racists and still is to this very day, and others will be even more hellacious in many places.

1.) You're aware that he TO THIS DAY maintains they did it and should be in prison?

Also,

http://fortune.com/2016/06/07/donald-trump-racism-quotes/

+

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...illary-clinton-says-federal-government-sued-/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/15/doj-trump-s-early-businesses-blocked-blacks.html

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/another-housing-discrimination-lawsuit-donald-trump

Not to even mention his commentary on hispanics and Muslims. Now, at some point you can plead simple ignorance or indifference (both are among of the many conveniences that comes with privilege), but for the rest of us it's Monday and these matters are well known and well documented. There's a REASON people are saying he has very real issues with race. There's a REASON why the alt right are excited about him. There's a REASON why he's endorsed by the Klan.

Honestly, it continues to be disappointing that in 2016 someone that is probably at least marginally informed about other things and knows how to navigate the internet wouldn't have chosen to avail himself in the knowledge of these issues and transgressions in order to make a good voting decision (instead of passively or out of ignorance accepting a candidate with real race issues). But again, it is privilege that allows some of us the convenience of not having to know or care. Issues that affect us minorities don't affect you right, so why would you care? Why would they be issues that impact your vote, amirite?

Apocryphon

I understand the concern, I just don't think it does any good to label all Trump Supporters racist or sexist. Racism is probably the biggest social issue in America right now and no progress will be made if half of the electorate is alienated.

My initialpoint was that it's entirely possible to have voted for Trump and also to be compmetely against most of his campaign points.

Some people didn't think for a second about how a Trump presidency would make things horrible for minorities because in their communities they don't have any. It's not part of their daily lives. Short sighted and possibly simple minded yes, but potentially not racist or sexist at all.

LMAO how did I know this would come down to the bullshit "both sides are the same!!!!".

Also, Hillary's comment from the 90s vs. literally running on a platform of hate and giving no policies throughout an entire campaign. Glad to know you're ignorant on what you're arguing. Yes, pivot from its all the DNC's fault to "whelp they ran the same campaign, you're fooling yourself if you think there's any differences between them!".

SMFH

rtcn63

Trump gear is the new Confederate Flag.

Tell me it isn't. Tell me why I'm wrong and why I shouldn't see it that way.

CxHhHXBWgAAR7tw-850x560.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Did you know that he still thinks they should be killed, despite the DNA evidence?

I understand the concern

You really, really don't.

I just don't think it does any good to label all Trump Supporters racist or sexist. Racism is probably the biggest social issue in America right now and no progress will be made if half of the electorate is alienated.

Who's been doing their damnedest to alienate minorities the last two centuries? Who has fought kicking and screaming every inch of the way? You tell me. Like I said we're at now, now. But if you wanna talk about the past we can do that.

My initialpoint was that it's entirely possible to have voted for Trump and also to be compmetely against most of his campaign points.

Fair point. I get that. But don't pretend there's not a legit reason why people are looking at Trump supporters with that healthy dose of side-eye given all his comments about minorities.

Some people didn't think for a second about how a Trump presidency would make things horrible for minorities because in their communities they don't have any. It's not part of their daily lives. Short sighted and possibly simple minded yes, but potentially not racist or sexist at all.

I understand that and have made that exact point. People will vote in what they believe to be in their best interest. But don't pretend Trumps rhetoric hasn't energized racists. Also note that not one sentence from you has been an actual condemnation to this horrible act of discrimination but you'll continue to defend Trump. What should that tell me?

gimmmick

What a fucking piece of shit. Why would someone lie about something like, and to do this on veteran's day. Trump supporters are a piece of work.

Zaventem

That comment section talking about he's making it up. Even when the proff is tbeirthey deny it. Racist are gonna racist.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Will probably get berated for this but....

Why is him being a Trump supporter relevant?

That being said the manager acted poorly in this situation and should be reprimanded for his actions!
The gentleman had enough documentation to prove that he was a veteran.
so around 50 % of u will believe unconditionally. Trump is garbage but he proves that the internet is a shithole of lies and bullshit

R0ckman

Guy probably should just terminate himself, these half-baked jugdments are going to lead to people having to live constantly looking behind their back for people who want to take matters into their own hands not satisfied with the "slap on the wrist" stuff.

Apocryphon

I understand that and have made that exact point. People will vote in what they believe to be in their best interest. But don't pretend Trumps rhetoric hasn't energized racists. Also note that not one sentence from you has been an actual condemnation to this horrible act of discrimination but you'll continue to defend Trump. What should that tell me?

I called it a heinous act.

And I don't think I have defended him. I certainly wouldn't have voted for him - as I said, I feel like Bernie was a better candidate and got screwed by the DNC. I would have voted for Bernie if he was in contention and I was a US citizen.

Racism exists everywhere in the world but America seems to have a particular problem that I find hard to comprehend. It can't solely be slavery because Britain had slavery too and we seem to be in a much better place than America.

I just don't think you can tackle these kind of societal problems by creating a clear divide between two political parties and labeling one party a bunch of deplorable racists. Doesn't that just compound the problem?

The dog's name is Barack?

Their reasoning for questioning his status was because he had his hat on indoors? WTF I expect that kind of logic in a videogame...

make up any excuse to shit on a minority.

And I do think I have defended him. I certainly wouldn't have voted for him - as I said, I feel like Bernie was a better candidate and got screwed by the DNC. I would have voted for Bernie if he was in contention and I was a US citizen.

Racism exists everywhere in the world but America seems to have a particular problem that I find hard to comprehend. It can't solely be slavery because Britain had slavery too and we seem to be in a much better place than America.

I just don't think you can tackle these kind of societal problems by creating a clear divide between two political parties and labeling one party a bunch of deplorable racists. Doesn't that just compound the problem?

Oppression of black people didn't end with Slavery(and it took a damn Civil War to abolish it). It was another 100 years before they were officially stopped being treated as 2nd class citizens. We have people alive today who had to live through that shit. So, it's no surprise why it's still a huge issue, because it's still reltively a fresh wound in the grand scheme of things. (and this country has a political party who have routinely pitted groups of people against each other)

Syriel

I understand the concern, I just don't think it does any good to label all Trump Supporters racist or sexist. Racism is probably the biggest social issue in America right now and no progress will be made if half of the electorate is alienated.

All Trump voters may not be actively racist or sexist, but by voting for a platform which was rooted in both of those (and promoted both of those), all Trump voters have said that they believe racism and sexism are OK.

And I don't think I have defended him. I certainly wouldn't have voted for him - as I said, I feel like Bernie was a better candidate and got screwed by the DNC. I would have voted for Bernie if he was in contention and I was a US citizen.

They are, by and large, deplorable racists though. Nothing is going to change that mindset.

Let me stop you right there.

How do you know/think that? Incidents like this are not a uniquely American version of racism. Odds are, things like this happen in the UK too. You've just isolated yourself from them so you don't even notice they're happening.

England and is colonial history should provide a frame of reference for why minorities are angry they aren't still equitable.

And I do think I have defended him. I certainly wouldn't have voted for him - as I said, I feel like Bernie was a better candidate and got screwed by the DNC. I would have voted for Bernie if he was in contention and I was a US citizen.

Fair enough.

It's hard to tell as many instances in other countries don't make the media. So it may seem that they don't have problems when (if you actually talked to minorities) they really do. Read up on Jim Crow laws in the US if you really want an answer. Because that's it.

We didn't create the divide. Once again who fought against Blacks being free. Not because of racism of course but because of economic self-interest? Who fought against women voting. Who fought every piece of social progress.

So like I said. Not all Republicans are racists. But most racists in America are Republican. That's just reality.

This is such garbage. The one thing you could always count on in Texas is respect for veterans, regardless of color. No matter how bad things might have gotten in the boondocks, the state always had that.

Fuck this entire misbegotten year.

Cyrano

http://www.historyisaweapon.com/zinnapeopleshistory.html

Take this, read it, call me in the morning.

There's been a clear divide for a long time. It didn't just suddenly spring into being. Trump is being used as a catalyst for problems long-standing, on both sides of the aisle at this point.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
An accomplice to what? He isn't in office yet and nobody (likely even Trump) knows what he will actually do yet.

Clinton called black males "super predators". Do you think all of her voters are aligned with that way of thinking?

Clinton apologized and walked it back.

Trump doubled down and appointed a white supremacist as his White House senior advisor.

Fuck Trump, his enablers, and his apologists. In fact,

If you want to tackle the issue of racism seriously and if you want to make any progress on the issue at all in the next 4 years you shouldn't be alienating Trump voters.
You can get the entire fuck out of here with that as well.

What makes a person a republican? What are you of you voted for Bush in 2004 and Obama in 2008?

You really wanna go down this esoteric rabbit hole? Dude, a Black man was discriminated against and the only proof was the accusation of an old racist White man.

And somehow you're turning it into an impassioned defense of Angry White Republicans. Why?

Clinton apologized and walked it back.

Trump doubled down and appointed a white supremacist as his White House senior advisor.

Fuck Trump, his enablers, and his apologists.

Fucking. Thank. You.

Apocryphon

So most aren't racist they just don't give a shit when racism happens because they don't live near minorities. Does that sum your position up?

It has to be, because if the opposite is true then your country is truly fucked. At least this way you have something you can work with.

It has to be, because if the opposite is true then your country is truly fucked. At least this way you have something you can work with.

Ok. So if someone is indifferent to acts of racism against minorities in the population but is more than willing to enjoy the benefits that racism and those racist policies bring them what does that make those people???

Think.

Trump gear is the new Confederate Flag.

Tell me it isn't. Tell me why I'm wrong and why I shouldn't see it that way.

tbh, it's probably a lot more accurate. A bunch of my in-laws are Trump supporters in rural PA, and them sporting confederate flags always confused the shit out of me. Like, I get the MAGA hat, but yo, you missed the Mason-Dixon line by several hundred miles.

So the vast majority of what, 43 million people? that voted for him are racist?

The vocal majority it seems absolutely are and the rest can tolerate it which is almost as bad. Anecdotal I know, but every trump supporter I know in NJ is a racist, my best friend who I am no longer talking to is one, my former boss and the owner of my former place of work who openly stated they would never hire a black person are racist (part of the reason I don't work there anymore is because I called them out for being racist scumbags), and my fathers side of the family including my dad are racist scumbags as well. So yes with my few examples most republicans are racists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom