• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War E3 2016 is the most viewed game trailer on PS YouTube,surpassing FFVII

I mentioned three games (TLoU, UC and The Order) that are already out and one that isn't (Day's Gone, though TLoU:p2 will almost definitely be similar to the first as well), all of which look, to me, to be very similar to each other in how they present themselves.

The only thing that Day's Gone has in common with TLoU is that it has zombies. That's it. I really don't get how people play TLoU then look at that game and read about it and say "Hmm, that's just like TLoU!". This is Day's Gone

* Weapons crafting system, they call a "MacGuyver Mentality" where the you figure out clever ways to build tools to get out of situations.

* Wildlife is in the game, they have a "huge" wildlife system they aren't going to talk much about right now. But the event didn't wipe out all wildlife.

Featuring fully explorable environments and dynamic AI enemies, players will rely on their own abilities to strategize, craft weapons and tools, explore the world, and engage in combat. With almost every car, building and environment searchable, Days Gone delivers emergent gameplay possibilities, making a player’s approach to combat and discovery a vital part of the experience.

Using the power of PlayStation 4 and Unreal Engine 4, Bend Studio has developed a high volume of rendering and gameplay technology to deliver an incredibly realistic open world experience. Realistic weather effects, such as rain, wind, snow and day-night cycles impact the gameplay. The game’s lighting is all real-time and reacts dynamically, the way the human iris does, as players move from one location to the next.

Yes, this is an open world game. Bend called it a “dynamic open world,” and it’s being built with Unreal Engine 4...Take, for instance, the hordes of freakers seen in the demo...That horde will follow you indefinitely if you keep the right distance between it and yourself. Say you want to take out another human gang’s camp. Have that horde follow you and drag them all the way to your rival’s camp. The horde seeks the bigger target and does your work for you.

“You can go anywhere,” says Pape. “There’ll be waypoint on the map you can set, you can set your own waypoints, you can fast travel for some of the areas because it is such an expansive map”. And, while the demo showed a forrest location Pape says the north west American setting has been chosen specifically for the extreme environments it can provide. “You’ve for the mountains, snow, hail, rain wind, high dessert. City wise you’ll encounter abandoned suburbs, towns, it’s not just going to be in the woods”.

cheesekao

Reposting cos bottom page

I mentioned three games (TLoU, UC and The Order) that are already out and one that isn't (Day's Gone, though TLoU:p2 will almost definitely be similar to the first as well), all of which look, to me, to be very similar to each other in how they present themselves.
I'm talking about this gen. 2 out of 12. For future releases, we have Everybody's Golf 7, GTSport, Horizon ZD, GR2, Knack 2, Spiderman, Days Gone, God of War, Detroit and Dreams.

8 games coming in the future(Days gone and GoW excluded since we don't exactly know how they'll play out) and 8 of them aren't uncharted/TLoU-esque games.

Plum

Reposting cos bottom page

I'm talking about this gen. 2 out of 12. For future releases, we have Everybody's Golf 7, GTSport, Horizon ZD, GR2, Knack 2, Spiderman, Days Gone, God of War, Detroit and Dreams. We have no idea how Days Gone will play out so I'm excluding it.

8 games coming in the future(Days gone and GoW excluded) and 8 of them aren't uncharted/TLoU-esque games.

I agree most definitely that their line up is varied but none of those, unless Spiderman does so, offer the same kind of gameplay previous GoW games offered. I need to see more before I'm convinced that moves such as the close-af third person camera, forced walking sections and simplified combat can offer that same feeling. If I want an emotional story I can go elsewhere (like TLoU2) so that doesn't justify the gameplay changes by itself.

cheesekao

I agree most definitely that their line up is varied but none of those, unless Spiderman does so, offer the same kind of gameplay previous GoW games offered. I need to see more before I'm convinced that moves such as the close-af third person camera, forced walking sections and simplified combat can offer that same feeling. If I want an emotional story I can go elsewhere (like TLoU2) so that doesn't justify the gameplay changes by itself.
Poor sales of Ascension probably does. Cory himself said that they could easily make another by the numbers God of War but chose not to or something along that line. GoW would most likely turn out like Gears of War 4 if they stuck with the same thing. It sucks for some people but there's enough of the original GoW formula.

Guymelef

The only thing that Day's Gone has in common with TLoU is that it has zombies. That's it. I really don't get how people play TLoU then look at that game and read about it and say "Hmm, that's just like TLoU!". This is Day's Gone

This game has potential to be a big sleeper.

There were six God of War games in less than a decade all with essentially the same gameplay. It was absolutely overdue a shake-up, and I'd say given the reception most people are happy with and excited by this new direction for the series.

I don't disagree, but from the trailer in aesthetics and tone Days Gone does seem to be in the same ballpark, so I can see why people would make that connection even if the gameplay and structure has very little resemblance in each game. Honestly, I'm most excited to experience the world of Days Gone on my hog. I hope they absolutely nail the handling, as that will be crucial to my enjoyment.

I was actually thinking about the ad the other day because it popped up as an ad under a YouTube video I was watching. I wonder if that has helped get it views.

Son Of D

Not keen on the new style but good on them for finding a new audience. Not going to complain about the new direction. I'll just go play games or look up stuff on games that do interest me instead of bitching.

Besides, it wouldn't surprise me if we get PS4 remasters of the rest of the games eventually.

Bold One

What gets me is the constant comparisons to TLOU, its like people are so bereft of any other notion of a game having kind of nuance or emotional depth, everyone seems to have TLOU locked and loaded to throw at any game that has a 3 dimensional human in it.

It has a kid in it? - its like TLOU

It has emotions? - its like TLOU

It has zombies - "its just like the last of us, because TLOU invented zombies (I do feel bad for Bend Studios though, did no one at the Sony World Wide studios tell them ND were most likely going to make a sequel to that hugely successful game that everyone would inevitably compare to their own?) I digress.

TLOU is a fantastic game, but it is not a genre onto itself.

Oh an the new GOW looks fucking ace, can't wait.

Plum

Poor sales of Ascension probably does. Cory himself said that they could easily make another by the numbers God of War but chose not to or something along that line. GoW would most likely turn out like Gears of War 4 if they stuck with the same thing. It sucks for some people but there's enough of the original GoW formula.

I don't have to like it just because it makes sales sense. GoW in Norse mythology with a more nuanced and emotional story? Sign me the fuck up. GoW with both of those but also a completely different, less visceral combat system and a focus on slow scripted "bonding" sections? That's what I don't like.

cheesekao

I don't have to like it just because it makes sales sense. GoW in Norse mythology with a more nuanced and emotional story? Sign me the fuck up. GoW with both of those but also a completely different, less visceral combat system and a focus on slow scripted "bonding" sections? That's what I don't like.
Of course you don't. It's still a perfectly valid justification even if you disagree with it.

Unless the ad plays on the video itself, it wont add towards the view count.
still though marketing the trailer extensively like that certainly helps them get views. I dunno. I kinda don't like the idea that a game with no release date and one trailer is being pushed so hard by a company.

cheesekao

still though marketing the trailer extensively like that certainly helps them get views. I dunno. I kinda don't like the idea that a game with no release date and one trailer is being pushed so hard by a company.
There is nothing wrong with increasing awareness of something unless it's through false information.

Like at least a few others here (one / two / three), I personally find the love for the character of Kratos to be a bit puzzling. So this is certainly an interesting development.
I believe the majority of people who like Kratos like him ironically. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who claims Kratos is a well-written character.

Like at least a few others here (one / two / three), I personally find the love for the character of Kratos to be a bit puzzling. So this is certainly an interesting development.

I have no love for Kratos, but he is central to the God of War brand, and if they're keeping him on board I'm glad they are working to evolve his character and give him depth and nuance compared to the angry ragemonster he used to be.

I don't disagree, but from the trailer in aesthetics and tone Days Gone does seem to be in the same ballpark, so I can see why people would make that connection even if the gameplay and structure has very little resemblance in each game. Honestly, I'm most excited to experience the world of Days Gone on my hog. I hope they absolutely nail the handling, as that will be crucial to my enjoyment.

I can understand why someone may get TLoU vibes if they only see the trailer. But if you watch the gameplay demo, then those vibes should all go away. The MC is running around with an assault rifle that has 750 rounds in it. If you saved all your ammo in TLoU I don't think you'd have even half of that much ammo by the end. Days Gone definitely seems to be going for a much more traditional take on the zombie genre. Specifically with how they're handling the mobs. You're never overwhelmed with infected in TLoU like that DG clip showed. That alone is a substantial gamplay difference between the two.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
The thirst is real

There is nothing wrong with increasing awareness of something unless it's through false information.

More like trying to increase preorder numbers for a product where we still only have one trailer. I understand that people may see a trailer on their own and go out and preorder but when a company is specifically turning a premiere trailer into a commercial by advertising it to youtube viewers it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If you don't care thats fine but with the gaming industry and the way it loves to overhype its games it feels manipulative to me.

I can understand why someone may get TLoU vibes if they only see the trailer. But if you watch the gameplay demo, then those vibes should all go away. The MC is running around with an assault rifle that has 750 rounds in it. If you saved all your ammo in TLoU I don't think you'd have even half of that much ammo by the end. Days Gone definitely seems to be going for a much more traditional take on the zombie genre. Specifically with how they're handling the mobs. You're never overwhelmed with infected in TLoU like that DG clip showed. That alone is a substantial gamplay difference between the two.

Oh, I totally agree. Gameplay-wise the two don't seem to have a lot in common besides third person shooting and featuring sort-of-zombies.

More like trying to increase preorder numbers for a product where we still only have one trailer. I understand that people may see a trailer on their own and go out and preorder but when a company is specifically turning a premiere trailer into a commercial by advertising it to youtube viewers it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If you don't care thats fine but with the gaming industry and the way it loves to overhype its games it feels manipulative to me.

Not sure why this bothers you so much? At least it's an actual gameplay trailer instead of a CGI trailer or cinematic. They are advertising a big product they'll be releasing in the future - welcome to entertainment, I guess? If you dislike it, it's fairly easy to avoid.

lupinko

Street Fighter V for sure, and Bloodborne. Considering how small their output has been this gen too, that's not really an insignificant number.

I don't know how you can say that about SFV considering the premiere version looked terrible compared to the final game.

SFV wasn't downgraded, it just didn't release feature complete because of a laundry list of reasons related to esports.

while GOW is a big Sony Franchise, it never was in the same league as Uncharted,TLOU and Gran Turismo (in terms of sales)
I have a Feeling it could change with this title

While worldwide GoW is not on the level of Uncharted, Last of Us or GT in sales in US it's. GoW III was the only Sonys first party game to sell over a million first month in US retail last gen (and still is the last game to do so).

Top 10 Gametrailer of 2016 games on Youtube

Battlefield 1: Reveal Trailer – 49,864,296 views
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare: Reveal Trailer – 35,930,951 views
Clash of Clans: Hog Rider – 32,332,845 views
Gears of War 4: Tomorrow – 17,091,816 views
Clash of Kings: 17,080,025 views
Overwatch: Dragons Animated Short – 14,059,394 views
Pokemon Sun & Moon: Reveal Trailer – 10,767,945 views
FIFA 17: 10,644,036 views
Watch Dogs 2: Reveal Trailer – 10,097,425 views
DOOM: Cinematic Trailer – 9,651,691 views

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/top-10-most-popular-video-game-trailers-for-2016-g/1100-6446091/

On a personal level, that trailer had the ability to transform my complete disinterest in the series into something that I'm now truly vested in. It was an expertly-executed piece of media. Never thought I'd see the day, but I'm now excited about an upcoming God of War game.

To be clear the ad doesn't autoplay at the start of videos. After all its 10 minutes long. Ive just seen it pop up as an ad at the top of the list of the recommended videos section when you're playing a video.

Oh, that kind of ad.

I was thinking since when does auto-play ads does 10 minute long trailers. >_>

That doesn't count unless you click and watch it, yeah.

cheesekao

It's less me not caring and more you reading too much into something.

jayu26

You are upset that a business is trying to market its product!? Go catch up on your sleep mate, you are not thinking straight.

AudioEppa

On a personal level, that trailer had the ability to transform my complete disinterest in the series into something that I'm now truly vested in. It was an expertly-executed piece of media. Never thought I'd see the day, but I'm now excited about an upcoming God of War game.

Very well said.

It looks really good, but I honestly cannot see myself enjoying this because Kratos. I know it's a reboot and he could ve totally different, but wish they started off fresh with a new lead, without unlikable baggage.

Top 10 Gametrailer of 2016 games on Youtube

Battlefield 1: Reveal Trailer – 49,864,296 views
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare: Reveal Trailer – 35,930,951 views
Clash of Clans: Hog Rider – 32,332,845 views
Gears of War 4: Tomorrow – 17,091,816 views
Clash of Kings: 17,080,025 views
Overwatch: Dragons Animated Short – 14,059,394 views
Pokemon Sun & Moon: Reveal Trailer – 10,767,945 views
FIFA 17: 10,644,036 views
Watch Dogs 2: Reveal Trailer – 10,097,425 views
DOOM: Cinematic Trailer – 9,651,691 views

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/top-10-most-popular-video-game-trailers-for-2016-g/1100-6446091/

I mean, that's entirely wrong because it's missing the very subject of this entire topic, God of War. EDIT - also missing the reveal trailer for Spider-Man PS4, which is currently at 10,455,636 at time of writing.

Also, I feel like this needs a qualifier of what has and hasn't run as pre-rolls ads, increasing their view count. I'm pretty sure the top 5 have all been up as ads.

I mean, that's entirely wrong because it's missing the very subject of this entire topic, God of War.

Also, I feel like this needs a qualifier of what has and hasn't run as pre-rolls ads, increasing their view count. I'm pretty sure the top 5 have all been up as ads.

It doesn't even have the [Battlefield 1 - Official Gameplay Trailer] which is at 13.85 million views.

Plum

I mean, that's entirely wrong because it's missing the very subject of this entire topic, God of War. EDIT - also missing the reveal trailer for Spider-Man PS4, which is currently at 10,455,636 at time of writing.

It's for games released in 2016, so GoW, Spiderman, Zelda (which has around 11m views) don't count.

Poison_Idea

Neo Member
I usually try and keep up with PS4 news even though i don't own a console. But this i had totally missed! Love me some GoW and this time they're going for the Norse mythology! Looks like it's time to get a PS4 some time in the future

It's for games released in 2016, so GoW, Spiderman, Zelda (which has around 11m views) don't count.

Oh, I see; fair enough. However:

It doesn't even have the [Battlefield 1 - Official Gameplay Trailer] which is at 13.85 million views.

Unless there's some kind of limit like one video per game, this still makes no sense. And I still think they should point out views vs. likes to try and ascertain which were pre-roll ads.

Unless there's some kind of limit like one video per game, this still makes no sense. And I still think they should point out views vs. likes to try and ascertain which were pre-roll ads.

It's based on YT's shared rankings and YouTube won't shame their clients who bought ads runs from them lol.

I believe the majority of people who like Kratos like him ironically. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who claims Kratos is a well-written character.

Interesting. So one might say that while the character of Kratos is not well-written, the majority of people who love him are still 'well-written' (in that they themselves maintain the depth and nuance of a well-written character even while liking Kratos), and their love of him is a 'well-written' love, since it has the depth and nuance of an ironic love... Not sure I'm on board, but I get your point of view.

I have no love for Kratos, but he is central to the God of War brand, and if they're keeping him on board I'm glad they are working to evolve his character and give him depth and nuance compared to the angry ragemonster he used to be.

Indeed, though the curious part is precisely the power of the brand, developed by way of that character he has been until now.

Shredderi

Yep. After trying a few hours of the original God of War many many years ago, I lost all modicum of interest toward the series. This made me interested, though I'm curious how they'll pull off a meaningful and responsive battle system in this camera mode. I haven't seen it done yet.

of 2016 games
both god of war and spider-man are no 2016 release games
i just posted this ranking so people could see, where GoW would chart

only one (the most viewed) trailer per game

Top Bottom