• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War E3 2016 is the most viewed game trailer on PS YouTube,surpassing FFVII

jayu26

kid dies after the opening downgrading kratos to his former self

I know you are kidding but for those who don't know, The Kid is a big part of not only the story but also the combat. There is button specifically for The Kid and he can be used to take some heat away from Kratos. And Judging from the trailer, all the Experience points go to the Kid, although I think Cory said that they both have separate upgrade trees.

I'm surprised GAF is so tolerant of this franchises mainstream turn. From a top-tier brawler/action to bog-standard (from the looks of it) action-adventure a'la Uncharted.

Other franchises would be raked through the mud for that kind of dumbing-down.

I'm surprised GAF is so tolerant of this franchises mainstream turn. From a top-tier brawler/action to bog-standard (from the looks of it) action-adventure a'la Uncharted.

I wouldn't be so sure the combat has been dumbed down.

kobu

lol here we go again a game decides to take it's story more seriously and the combat is automatically dumbed down in some peoples minds.

I hope the game has time skips where we see the Kid grow up and we see how our choices affect him. I'm going to be rough as hell with if given the choice, can't have a softy in this Norse world XD

AND it's supposed to be the SAME KRATOS from GoW 1-3?

Did we play different God of War 3's, or a different series entirely? Kratos has always wanted to redeem himself for his failures with families. He tried to do that with Pandora. Fuck he was with Pandora for like 10 minutes before he mentally adopted her.

I expect this game to go just as well as that did, but family themes have been with this franchise since the beginning.

Need to see a lot more gameplay, wasn't very enthused with what I saw.

Story wise, I'm not very excited for another cinematic dad simulator(where are the mom simulators?) but whatever I'm sure i'll like it well enough, just let me fight the big ass planet sized snake.

RibMan

But Making another God of War game was a mistake

To be fair, had Santa Monica showed another 'traditional' GoW game, it wouldn't have garnered as much attention as the reboot has.

I think the new GoW has a lot of attention because the new Kratos works for both those who like him and those who don't. Remember: a number of people weren't fans of Krato's shouting and anger. Obviously, if you take a second and think about who Kratos is -- a Spartan who becomes the God of warfare -- then it's unintelligent to expect his characterization to be peaceful and his demeanor to be calm. That said, illogical expectations will form around anything, so the new and different Kratos works for them.

The thing they showed looked wonderful. It has the GoW spirit, and you get a sense that the inclusion of his son in the game will open up entirely new gameplay mechanics, gameplay systems, and gameplay sequences. It could really turn out great.

I cannot believe people have swallowed the God of War reboot so passively.

We've gone from flaming twin-chainblade massacre action game, to shoulder camera dad simulator with magic?

lol, okay, whatever, sure

It was neat though. I really hope they rebrand it as a complete reboot though before they ask me to take fuckin Kratos on an emotional journey.

Not only reference to this comment but to the many that share the same sentiment: What a world we live in where Kratos (of all video game character) is showing more character development than the humans that played him.

If you want more of the old god of war, there are literally 6 games to entertain yourselves with. God of War should change the gameplay formula, that formula is growing stale. That being said, nothing they showed indicated that Kratos was going to be impotent and weak. If people think the new God of War isn't gonna be visceral, one did you not see what kratos did to this enemies in the games debut? Two, a bunch of the people that set the tone for the previous God of War games are still at SSM and share that passion of Kratos' fury.

These short sighted perspectives are so ridiculous, there's plenty of time between now and the games release. We've seen a 10 minute slice of a multi-hour game.

Did we play different God of War 3's, or a different series entirely? Kratos has always wanted to redeem himself for his failures with families. He tried to do that with Pandora. Fuck he was with Pandora for like 10 minutes before he mentally adopted her.

I expect this game to go just as well as that did, but family themes have been with this franchise since the beginning.

He let pandora die because of his lust for revenge.

Kratos was a 100% irredeemable asshole.

Cory Balrog said the game is still very action and combat focused with the huge fights the series is known for, why the fuck would people want to see that in the reveal especially when the main complete I always see for the series is how weak Kratos is as a character as well as the story but then when they literally go hey guys look we're doing it people still just shit on it, I guess there's just no satisfying some people.

He let pandora die because of his lust for revenge.

Kratos was a 100% irredeemable asshole.

Yes. My point is that family themes have been with this series for it's entirety. We've seen 10 mins of this. He could very well let this kid die in the end too. A never ending cycle theme. It's just too early to tell for anything really.

menacin

Banned
I know you are kidding but for those who don't know, The Kid is a big part of not only the story but also the combat. There is button specifically for The Kid and he can be used to take some heat away from Kratos. And Judging from the trailer, all the Experience points go to the Kid, although I think Cory said that they both have separate upgrade trees.

hope the kid dies very early in the game. would be great. terrific.

It's funny, because this is probably going to be broken by something The Last of Us Part II related shortly.

Hard to say, because TLoU Part II's view count on YT got cannibalised around 3.5 million views by a separate channel.

Right now the views for TLoU Part II reveal is at :

1. PlayStation - 3.77 million views
2. MathChief - 3.55 million views
3. MKIceAndFire - 1.73 million views

Also, for some really strange reason, GoW trailer has ridiculous legs. Despite being revealed around the same time as BF1 gameplay trailer, etc, those trailers hit their peak very early on, whereas God of War just wouldn't stop climbing up the view counts. It's consistently outgrowing the view count of so many other trailers.

DrD

This was the best game reveal of 2016 imo. The live orchestra at Sony's conference made it even better. I want the next showing to be more action focused with lots of enemies and an epic boss fight.

Hard to say, because TLoU Part II's view count on YT got cannibalised around 3.5 million views by a separate channel.

Also, for some really strange reason, GoW trailer has ridiculous legs. Despite being revealed around the same time as BF1 gameplay trailer, etc, those trailers hit their peak very early on, whereas God of War just wouldn't stop climbing up the view counts. It's consistently outgrowing the view count of so many other trailers.
I wonder why sony hasn't gone after those two channels

I wasn't particularly impressed with the showing. It's where GoW was going I suppose, but I'd hope for more madness as is befitting of the series. Even if the games were somewhat shallow, I'd hate for another beat em up series to be lost to the modern age.

wapplew

SSM hire deepmind confirm!

I wonder why sony hasn't gone after those two channels

Why the hell would they? It's additional views coming from audiences that probably aren't subscribed to the main PlayStation channel. Not everyone consumes their marketing from official primers. There's plenty who sees their first glimpse of a game via YouTubers or sources that aren't solely catered to PS-content, but covers all platforms, etc.

For context, this is God of War's view count from the highest 3 channels:

1. PlayStation: 14.39 million views
2. GameNewsOfficial: 5.08 million views
3. MkIceAndFire : 2.85 million views

HardRojo

Glad to see the "Cinematic game only has the story going for it, gameplay sucks" mindset is alive and well. /s
These games do not need deep RPG mechanics with level progression or stats, simple upgrades and a skill tree are more than enough. Tomb Raider tried to add too much RPG leveling and it felt like ultimately it didn't do anything for the whole experience.

Yes. My point is that family themes have been with this series for it's entirety. We've seen 10 mins of this. He could very well let this kid die in the end too. A never ending cycle theme. It's just too early to tell for anything really.

I hope he maintains good guy status throughout the entire game. God of War 2 is a great game with the shittiest protag ever.

Loudninja

Why the hell would they? It's additional views coming from audiences that probably aren't subscribed to the main PlayStation channel. Not everyone consumes their marketing from official primers. There's plenty who sees their first glimpse of a game via YouTubers or sources that aren't solely catered to PS-content, but covers all platforms, etc.

For context, this is God of War's view count from the highest 3 channels:

1. PlayStation: 14.39 million views
2. GameNewsOfficial: 5.08 million views
3. MkIceAndFire : 2.85 million views
Yeah why would they care at all.

Rymuth

We've gone from flaming twin-chainblade massacre action game, to shoulder camera dad simulator with magic?

It was neat though. I really hope they rebrand it as a complete reboot though before they ask me to take fuckin Kratos on an emotional journey.
As someone who played every GOW more than once, I'm completely on board. Cory described the previous saga as Hulk-Kratos whereas this is Bruce Banner. That's a far more compelling prospect than playing through another bitchfest with Kratos

jiggle

As someone who played every GOW more than once, I'm completely on board. Cory described the previous saga as Hulk-Kratos whereas this is Bruce Banner. That's a far more compelling prospect than playing through another bitchfest with Kratos
And this is not even his last form
Iono why anyone would think the entire game is Kratos driving minivan

That's a good analogy, because just like with Bruce Banner he might be normal for 80% of the story, but eventually the big bad will appear and force him to become Hulk again, even just temporarily.

Personally, I think this deer scene is foreshadowing the scene where the kid caves in Thor's skull with his own hammer.

The Kid is going to be Thor (Thor is a red head in Norse mythology) and Kratos will lose an eye and he will be known as Odin. Athena's spirit may end up being Loki as Loki was on the same level/familial relationship with Odin in mythology and she is also Kratos's sister. Gender is no issue as Loki once turned into a female horse and got pregnant and gave birth to Sleipnir, Odin's 8-legged horse.

I hope the game has time skips where we see the Kid grow up and we see how our choices affect him. I'm going to be rough as hell with if given the choice, can't have a softy in this Norse world XD

It's not going to do that. I think one of the very cool things they're trying to do with this game is that it takes place in a single shot. Meaning from the moment the game starts there will be no load screens, traditional cutscenes or cut to blacks. I really can't think of another game that even tries that.

God of War was always mainstream, so I'm not sure what you're talking about, you sound like you just wanted them to play things extremely safe, which is a great way to kill the franchise.

This new take still needs to turn out well but it breathes some fresh air into a franchise that has needed it for a while.

It's not going to do that. I think one of the very cool things they're trying to do with this game is that it takes place in a single shot. Meaning from the moment the game starts there will be no load screens, traditional cutscenes or cut to blacks. I really can't think of another game that even tries that.

I'm such dummy, I totally forgot about that and I'm totally hyped for it.

An incredibly disappointing reveal for me but it was definitely a good presentation, makes sense it got so many views. Hope it shows something that isn't so reminiscent of so much of Sony's recent output when it's shown in 2017, because I'm personally not convinced.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

Yeah, it looked a lot like Bloodborne, Until Dawn and Ratchet and Clank.

ActWan

That's great. The whole shift in tone was perfect for the marketing - all the old fans of the series came to see what it's all about, and it opened the series to many new fans who hated the series before (because of Kratos? I guess)
I personally look forward to see how they handle it, if the epicness and scale are there I won't really care about what they did to it. Hoping for a 2017 release date.

FATALITY

Banned

Nobody ask you nothing.
I bet no one even know who are you.

Plum

So you're cherrypicking then.

I said that the wording wasn't that great and then explained why I think it's similar to a number (and Bloodborne if you count that) of the games Sony has and will release. Though now you mention it GoW is cinematic like Until Dawn but the link is tenuous.

cheesekao

I said that the wording wasn't that great and then explained why I think it's similar to a number (and Bloodborne if you count that) of the games Sony has and will release. Though now you mention it GoW is cinematic like Until Dawn but the link is tenuous.
If you want to compare it to a select few games then whatever but let it be know that this gen, in terms of big PS4 titles, Sony have only released 2 cinematic action adventure games and that's 2 out of 12. Also, like you said, Until Dawn is no where near the type of game Uncharted is.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It took a lot of guts to remake GOW with an aim to redefine kratos. They tried it with ascension and failed. To do it again in this manner...

Anyways, i think it just might pay off.

I can't say i'm looking forward to it anywhere close to how i am anticipating FF7R, but its definitely got my attention

Plum

If you want to compare it to a select few games then whatever but let it be know that this gen, in terms of big PS4 titles, Sony have only released 2 cinematic action adventure games and that's 2 out of 12. Also, like you said, Until Dawn is no where near the type of game Uncharted is.

I mentioned three games (TLoU, UC and The Order) that are already out and one that isn't (Day's Gone, though TLoU:p2 will almost definitely be similar to the first as well), all of which look, to me, to be very similar to each other in how they present themselves. Like I said in my first posts I need to see more because right now this does not look fun to me at all.

AudioEppa

Some people would act like 2 is too many.

I swear there's more games being released that people who complain about cinematic games would enjoy, yet they act the Industry is overflowing with them right now, I mean, I wish it was lol

I mentioned three games (TLoU, UC and The Order) that are already out and one that isn't (Day's Gone, though TLoU:p2 will almost definitely be similar to the first as well), all of which look, to me, to be very similar to each other in how they present themselves.

They are similar in how they present themselves, And I hope Sony's got even more in development to follow that direction.

Cool news for daddy Kratos, but I can't see anyone else than The Last of Us 2 being the biggest PS4 exclusive in every way, when all is said and done =)

cheesekao

I mentioned three games (TLoU, UC and The Order) that are already out and one that isn't (Day's Gone, though TLoU:p2 will almost definitely be similar to the first as well), all of which look, to me, to be very similar to each other in how they present themselves.
I'm talking about this gen. 2 out of 12. For future releases, we have Everybody's Golf 7, GTSport, Horizon ZD, GR2, Knack 2, Spiderman, Days Gone, God of War, Detroit and Dreams. We have no idea how Days Gone will play out so I'm excluding it.

8 games coming in the future and 8 of them aren't uncharted/TLoU-esque games. (Day's gone and GoW excluded)

Top Bottom