• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War E3 2016 is the most viewed game trailer on PS YouTube,surpassing FFVII

Mikey Jr.

Woah, what?

No idea it was that high...

Though to be fair, it is fucking bad ass and is exactly the kind of shakeup gow needed.

while GOW is a big Sony Franchise, it never was in the same league as Uncharted,TLOU and Gran Turismo (in terms of sales)
I have a Feeling it could change with this title

Maybe not but God Of War III sold well over 5 million copies on PS3. That is major especially for an exclusive.

Yeah, because interactive cutscene games sell more than games that focus more on gameplay. That's why. Welcome to the last two generations where "Cinematic gameplay" is king of the hill. I'm not ignoring the accomplishments of those titles either. They look amazing and have interesting characters for the most part. But that's essentially it.

not really

Maybe not but God Of War III sold well over 5 million copies on PS3. That is major especially for an exclusive.

those are great numbers and the franchise is huge, but Uncharted, TLOU and GT have Figures around the 10mio mark, so thats still on another level.

Yeah, because interactive cutscene games sell more than games that focus more on gameplay. That's why. Welcome to the last two generations where "Cinematic gameplay" is king of the hill. I'm not ignoring the accomplishments of those titles either. They look amazing and have interesting characters for the most part. But that's essentially it.
What a bunch of objectively wrong bullshit. Nothing about the recent ND games, or any of the other cinematic games out there are just interactive cutscenes. There's just as much gameplay in TLoU as there is in any game where storytelling is not a focus. You and others not liking or not preferring more cinematic games does not change that. And there are lots of non-cinematic games that sell well, so you're wrong about that too.

Sanctuary

How were either of those downgraded? Bloodborne in particular given that its original showing had it running at a horrible framerate and with a ton of screentearing.

Street Fighter V had much more detailed backgrounds, and while not technically a "downgrade", was definitely rushed out the door, most likely due to Sony's insistence, and Bloodborne also had a large drop in presentation (which would be strange for you to ignore, considering the backlash when the same thing happened with Dark Souls 2 for similar "performance issues").

What a bunch of objectively wrong bullshit. Nothing about the recent ND games, or any of the other cinematic games out there are just interactive cutscenes. There's just as much gameplay in TLoU as there is in any game where storytelling is not a focus. You and others not liking or not preferring more cinematic games does not change that. And there are lots of non-cinematic games that sell well, so you're wrong about that too.

Objectively wrong bullshit? Hardly. Slightly exaggerated? Probably, but none of their more recent output could survive just on its gameplay at all. They primarily sold as well as they did due to the graphics and story, which is almost the only thing anyone focuses on anyway when talking about them. The gameplay was utterly "serviceable" at best. It's cool to be utterly infatuated with how nice they make games look, but you aren't going to fool anyone into believing those games live and die from their gameplay, because they obviously don't. Just like The Witcher 3; another GAF darling that is almost nothing but cinematics and graphics.

jayu26

Street Fighter V had much more detailed backgrounds, and while not technically a "downgrade", was definitely rushed out the door, most likely due to Sony's insistence, and Bloodborne also had a large drop in presentation (which would be strange for you to ignore, considering the backlash when the same thing happened with Dark Souls 2 for similar "performance issues").

So we are just making up shit now?

Street Fighter V had much more detailed backgrounds, and while not technically a "downgrade", was definitely rushed out the door, most likely due to Sony's insistence,
iirc they were rushing the put the game out for evo and capcom cup

Also are you drawing out evidence from thin air?

Shin-chan

This thread got derailed pretty fast.

Those numbers are really impressive for GoW. If the marketing approach remains consistent this will undoubtedly be the biggest title in the series (and just as most thought it was over...). It's pretty astounding how they managed to turn perception around within 10 minutes. I was pretty jaded myself but as long as the gameplay is as hectic as always and the bosses as huge, I'm all in on this title.

jayu26

This thread got derailed pretty fast.

Those numbers are really impressive for GoW. If the marketing approach remains consistent this will undoubtedly be the biggest title in the series (and just as most thought it was over...). It's pretty astounding how they managed to turn perception around within 10 minutes. I was pretty jaded myself but as long as the gameplay is as hectic as always and the bosses as huge, I'm all in on this title.

Cory wants to surround Kratos with hundred enemies. I think his team might have few choice words for that particular idea, lol.

jett

D-Member
Definitely one of the best vertical slices shown at E3, and just a fantastic, pitch-perfect reboot/reintroduction of a character.

I thought I was done with God of War, I said so many times here how fed up I was before the reveal, and this demo changed my mind completely on the franchise. Biggest compliment I can give it, made me care about Kratos. In 2016.

Mikey Jr.

Not calling this gow 4 was a good move. Make it a soft reboot.

Also, this passing ff7r is fucking bonkers to me. Absolutely bonkers.

Shin-chan

Cory wants to surround Kratos with hundred enemies. I think his team might have few choice words for that particular idea, lol.
Yeah I kept up to date with the info following the reveal so I'm excited. I still can't wait to see it all for myself though - that giant ass snake in the background gave me shivers.

jayu26

Iirc they'll pull back the camera when it comes to fighting multiple enemies

That's not what I think programmers would be worried about. Hundred enemies at that fidelity is going to require some magic. But if anyone can do it, it's that team.

Yeah I kept up to date with the info following the reveal so I'm excited. I still can't wait to see it all for myself though - that giant ass snake in the background gave me shivers.
More trailers need to pack themselves with easter eggs like that. Hunting for them definitely kept the interest alive long past E3 presentation.

Objectively wrong bullshit? Hardly. Slightly exaggerated? Probably, but none of their more recent output could survive just on its gameplay at all. They primarily sold as well as they did due to the graphics and story, which is almost the only thing anyone focuses on anyway when talking about them. The gameplay was utterly "serviceable" at best. It's cool to be utterly infatuated with how nice they make games look, but you aren't going to fool anyone into believing those games live and die from their gameplay, because they obviously don't. Just like The Witcher 3; another GAF darling that is almost nothing but cinematics and graphics.
Guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree then. If I didn't find those games fun to play, I wouldn't have played them. The only Uncharted game I felt had serviceable gameplay was the first one. The others are some of my favorite games because of how they play in addition to their presentation. Same with TLoU. I haven't played The Witcher 3 yet, but none of the footage I've seen of it can be boiled down to "almost nothing but cinematics and graphics."

Anyway, I won't contribute to derailing the thread any further.

Maddrical

Bloodborne also had a large drop in presentation (which would be strange for you to ignore, considering the backlash when the same thing happened with Dark Souls 2 for similar "performance issues").

I know the DS2 drop, but I don't remember a BB one. Not saying you're wrong, my memory is rubbish, but do you have any videos for an example?

EDIT: On topic, I can't wait for more footage. Especially of the big fights. It really does look terrific. If they announced a God of War where Kratos was killing Greek gods with the exact same gameplay there would be even more bitching.

platina

I haven't watched it, actually.

I never have the slightest interest in the franchise.

I heard that it's now an RPG instead of action? That might change my stance.

It sounds like the series isn't for you. I wouldn't recommend you watching it.

Stillmatic

Damn, you're right:

https://youtu.be/yn6-pxyjlWg

But yeah, Bloodborne didn't really get downgraded like DS2. You must be confused with another game?

I like how when Kratos beats that giant and people think thats the end of it, and the demo continues beyond that and everyone cheers lol.

jayu26

I like how when Kratos beats that giant and people think thats the end of it, and the demo continues beyond that and everyone cheers lol.

I like when Kratos gets angry the first time and everyone roles their eyes and then Kratos takes a deep breath...

Nice! I hope we see more come E3 next year :)

Surely those of us that find Uncharted's multiplayer a lot of fun are playing it because we find the gameplay more than serviceable.

I personally believe Uncharted 4 is the best third person shooter in the market. I stopped playing Gears 4 a few weeks after launch in favour of UC4's MP.

After how lukewarm Ascension was, its impressive how Sony managed to turn the interest of God of War around. Hopefully the final game delivers on that front as well. This is exactly where I feel Microsoft missed the mark with bringing back Gears of War. That being said, I'm still not feeling the combat in this game yet. It's looking like if Ryse was ever a good game, and that's not a great standard to start from. At least from my perspective.

Best wishes.

The way they started E3 with this made it feel more like an event than a simple game reveal.
Gaf was wrong again. News at 11.
Yup. So much whining here about another God of War. And thus far the reception has been very positive. Cory knows what he's doing.

jjonez18

Your nostalgia is a lie.

Seriously though, looking forward to both of the,. PS4 is going to have an amazing second leg. Seems to be a PlayStation standard.

Good for SSM, but when I heard God of War was going to finally be shown, I was hopeful and excited to see how they had evolved the formula forward, but let down by the fact that the way they did it was just... an entire swap of genre. This just doesn't look like my cup of tea, and it sucks because I loved the others.

cheesekao

I believe that the direction they took is the right one. Just another God of War wouldn't cut it imo and would probably lead the franchise into the same fate as Gears 4.

Yes. Well deserved. I'm super excited for Dad of War.

My son is 4 now. By the time this is released, he'll be 6 or even 7. Pretty close to the age of Kratos' son!

U_Know_Me

Good for SSM, but when I heard God of War was going to finally be shown, I was hopeful and excited to see how they had evolved the formula forward, but let down by the fact that the way they did it was just... an entire swap of genre. This just doesn't look like my cup of tea, and it sucks because I loved the others.

Same here kind of bitter sweet.

Zesh

It was a great showing, and I think the series needed the change. I'm much more interested in the upcoming title than I was any of the previous ones.

Hydrargyrus

The video is awesome, but the E3 presentation with the orchestra was unbelievable.

This is what the franchise needed and they brought to us in the best way.

Memento

14+ million views AND surpassing FFVIIRemake views is INSANE. Even more so considering the lenght of it.

But it was the best reveal of 2016. Simply amazing.

Very, very excited to see more of it.

Trailer is incredible, me and my group of friends (granted we were really drunk) all freaked the fuck out when Kratos walks out of the shadow, the new design is ace.

Mathieran

Banned
I liked the look of it, especially after having played GoW3 remastered. I didn't really enjoy it at all, so to me the changes all seem promising so far. Didn't realize that this franchise was so popular though.

Edit: Just rewatched it and it was better than I remembered. Hope it turns out as good as it looks.

I cannot believe people have swallowed the God of War reboot so passively.

We've gone from flaming twin-chainblade massacre action game, to shoulder camera dad simulator with magic?

AND it's supposed to be the SAME KRATOS from GoW 1-3?

lol, okay, whatever, sure

It was neat though. I really hope they rebrand it as a complete reboot though before they ask me to take fuckin Kratos on an emotional journey.

kid dies after the opening downgrading kratos to his former self

LastNac

The presentation brings to mind:

1. The Last of Us
2. Tomb Raider
3. God of War
4. Skyrim (but mostly just the overall vibe)

In that order.

You relaize by sheer definition, God of War is much more of a cinematic series than UC, right?

DieH@rd

Banned
14+ million views AND surpassing FFVIIRemake views is INSANE. Even more so considering the lenght of it.

But it was the best reveal of 2016. Simply amazing.

Very, very excited to see more of it.

Yes, they unveiled it in a great way. Not with a simple trailer, but with a lenghty gameplay that showcased so many good changes. I think it is so great that this is a continuation of Kratos story, puts more weight to his charachter. Full reboot would not have such effect.

Top Bottom