• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Mush

It's been my life long dream since Ruby to catch a Feebas without reverting to trading or hax. That dream is now dead :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
^ Yeah, Feebas is pretty much a bitch. At least, from my 45 minute attempt in Pearl. Thank God for WFC. <3

Mush said:
It's been my life long dream since Ruby to catch a Feebas without reverting to trading or hax. That dream is now dead :(

Kinda felt the same way when someone traded me a Bagon (might have been MK, actually. :p) I wanted it to be the last one I caught in the Safari Zone... As it stands, it still will be, I'll just evolve the ones I catch in the Safari Zone into Shelgon and Salamence.

lol I'm becoming the unofficial dreamcrusher :p

Though I know how you feel, and while you can always just throw the traded Pokemon away you still have this tingeling feeling that you touched something... 'unclean'

Anyway glad I could help out :lol :lol

Sagitario

I remember catching a Feebas in Ruby... looking for those specific tiles was kind of tedious, but I loved catching rare/legendary monsters...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I snagged a Feebas on the very first tile I looked. :3

Android18a said:
Still no shinys in my 150 hour HeartGold file :( This sucks.
I'm closing in on 400 hours and I don't think I've seen one on this playthrough.

I also dislike shinies though.

If I ever come across a shiny while catching legendaries, I'd probably soft-reset to get a non-shiny one.

Fjord

So about getting a good Latios. When are its IVs and nature set? Is going for good IVs without a master ball ridiculous? Can you see shiny on the map overview? What point do I have to soft reset to?

Axis

Metroid Killer said:
i think they are talking about the pain in platinum...

i'm about to go through that myself...this should be fun =P

i think i've found a safe balance between pokemon/street fighter now...so i can get back to playing

I fought Misty in the rematch, traded a Bagon for Milotic on GTS, and bred the Milotic for Feebas. For such a weak Pokemon it sounds pretty hard to catch. :lol

Sixfortyfive

Fjord said:
So about getting a good Latios. When are its IVs and nature set? Is going for good IVs without a master ball ridiculous? Can you see shiny on the map overview? What point do I have to soft reset to?
Are you using HeartGold (stationary) or SoulSilver (roamer)? The answers are different.

Fjord

Sixfortyfive said:
Are you using HeartGold (stationary) or SoulSilver (roamer)? The answers are different.

I have Soulsilver, hunted down the roamer now doing the stationary I guess? For the enigma crystal event.

Fjord said:
I have Soulsilver, hunted down the roamer now doing the stationary I guess? For the enigma crystal event.

If it's stationary, Nature/IVs are set when you start the battle against it. You can save and Soft Reset before the fight to try again if its unsatisfactory for you.

Fjord

Hmm so I can't see if it is shiny before I begin combat? If I recall correctly the red gyrados was shiny and stationary.

Sixfortyfive

Fjord said:
Hmm so I can't see if it is shiny before I begin combat? If I recall correctly the red gyrados was shiny and stationary.
The stats of all stationary overworld Pokemon are set in stone at the moment you initiate the battle, shininess included. Red Gyarados is the only exception, as he's programmed to always be shiny. (For reference, this Gyarados' stats are generated in a similar manner to DPPt chained shinies.)

EDIT: In other news, the ladies dig trainers with 5-star trainer cards. :lol

trainercard7.jpg

Sixfortyfive

Andrex, where's your checklist of things to do in HGSS? I'm kind of at a loss as to what I can do now, lol.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
Andrex, where's your checklist of things to do in HGSS? I'm kind of at a loss as to what I can do now, lol.

Waaaaayyyyyy back in the thread. :lol I'd start in late-June and work backwards from there. I've redone it like three times, and hunted around for it even more. XD You should have a good grasp on what's out there by now.

On that note, I still have to do the Ruins of Alph thing... Maybe I'll do that when I'm done with the Safari Zone.

Sixfortyfive

I've actually resorted to playing the Battle Frontier for fun now. I think they call this Stockholm Syndrome. >_>

Though I am enjoying tearing up the Doubles Battle Tower with an all-ice team.

Sixfortyfive sent out Abomasnow & Froslass!
Opponent sent out Shiftry & Victreebel!
Or Salamence & Staraptor!
Or Leafeon & Espeon!
The last team I just faced was Shiftry, Victreebel, Exeggutor, Roserade. Thank fucking god there are no Firebreather trainers in this place. :lol

I also ended up making my own checklist:

- Defeat Lance & Clair in a double battle.
- Defeat rival at Indigo Plateau.
- Defeat all trainer rematches at their highest levels.
- Defeat all gym leader rematches.
- Defeat Elite Four rematches.
- Defeat Red.
- Obtain Kanto starter.
- Obtain Hoenn starter.
- Obtain all gift Pokemon and NPC trades.
- Obtain legendaries: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Giratina
- Obtain Spiky Eared Pichu.
- Obtain Gracidea.
- Obtain Seal Case.
- Obtain all Arceus plates.
- Obtain all phone numbers.
- Complete the Unown Report.
- Scour the entire damn map with the itemfinder.
- Misc random bullshit: Union Cave Lapras, Clefairy dance, vocab words, Primo's wallpapers & eggs.
- Win the Bug Catching Contest.
- Trainer Card goals: Elite Four, Shiny Leaf, Pokeathlon, Battle Tower, Pokedex
- Obtain every Battle Frontier colored print.
- Obtain every Battle Tower ribbon for my starter.
- Unlock event Pokewalker courses.

- Unlock all normal Pokewalker courses.
- Level-up all Safari Zone areas. Six areas done, other six are set-up. Literally all I have to do is wait.
- Get every possible ribbon for Typhlosion. I'm close to doing this. Probably just a happiness ribbon or something left.
- Upload a box snapshot and maybe do some other misc wi-fi stuff.
- Maybe get some more photo album pics? Meh.
- Pokeathlon: get some Supreme Cup records, finish buying the Data Cards, hit some more benchmarks for the hall of fame, etc.
- Celebi Event.
- Level my entire in-game party to 100. Sitting at 91 right now.
- Complete foreign Pokedex! :)lol)

I will probably eventually do everything except the foreign dex.

Sixfortyfive said:
- Complete foreign Pokedex! :)lol)

I will probably eventually do everything except the foreign dex.
If you really want to do it you have me, so it is doable (except for Celebi)... but still, it would be some heavy OCD stuff :p

Battle Frontier and the Last PokeWalker course are the two thingd I gave up on. Other than the bragging rights and the 5 star card, I have no incentive to go through that pain again. And the last pokewalker course has nothing of interest to me.

OMG Aero

It's not like you have to do anything out of your way to unlock all the Pokewalker courses.
Just do what I do and put it in your pocket whenever you go out like you do with your phone and keys. It'll unlock itself eventually.

Sixfortyfive

A complete foreign Pokedex would include English, Japanese, Spanish, French, Italian, and German entries for every species.

Never happening.

parasight

Was just walking around to get a ribbon, when I ran into a Shiny Sentret :D

3rd shiny I've caught, and just the 2nd random one (SR'd for Latios)

Sagitario

parasight said:
Was just walking around to get a ribbon, when I ran into a Shiny Sentret :D

3rd shiny I've caught, and just the 2nd random one (SR'd for Latios)

How much time did that take?

The only shiny I've ever encountered was a Tentacool in the original Gold...

OMG Aero

Hey Sixfortyfive, since it's already marked off your checklist, could you tell me how to get the ! and ? Unown in HGSS? They are the only ones I need and Serebii says a new area should unlock when you get the rest but I can't find it anywhere.
Sagitario said:
What a coincidence, my first non-Gyarados shiny was a shiny Tentacool in the original Silver.

parasight

Sagitario said:
How much time did that take?

Surprisingly not long. Overall maybe 4 hours SR'ing over a period of 3 days. Watched movies and surfed while doing it. I'd consider myself lucky though considering my cousin is doing the same with his Latias and he's still doing it now from the day Enigma Stone came out.

Sixfortyfive

upandaway said:
Somehow I don't trust you when you say that
Dude I'm not even sure if all the event Pokemon have even been released in all languages.

OMG Aero said:
Hey Sixfortyfive, since it's already marked off your checklist, could you tell me how to get the ! and ? Unown in HGSS? They are the only ones I need and Serebii says a new area should unlock when you get the rest but I can't find it anywhere.
I actually don't remember. If you happen to wander into a room in the ruins that now has a glowing panel on the wall, I'm pretty sure that's the place you need to be.

Andrex said:
I have quite a couple from my time as a gym leader. 0560 - 9071 - 3586
Man, hit me up if you ever actually want to battle with that team again. I don't have much else to do in this game now, obviously.

Jzero15 said:
is it possible to get a level 9 Ditto without hacking?
Probably south of Goldenrod.

Axion22

Hey all, I'm working on trainer card stars, specifically the National Pokedex. Question: where can I see a Chikorita so I can trade for it over GTS? I chose Cyndaquil as my starter :\

Sixfortyfive

Axion22 said:
Hey all, I'm working on trainer card stars, specifically the National Pokedex. Question: where can I see a Chikorita so I can trade for it over GTS? I chose Cyndaquil as my starter :\
I know there's a trainer in the Viridian Trainer House that uses all 3 starters, but I don't know if that gives you the Pokedex data for it since that place follows some of the Battle Frontier rules.

I could breed one pretty quick.

Sixfortyfive

Godspeed, Mighty Psyducks. *brofist*

vectorman06 said:
I've been playing SS and thinking about revamping my team:

Noctowl
Umbreon
Poliwhril
Amphrosh
Quilava

What is a good replacement for Noctowl?
STARAPTOR LOL.

Hatch the Togepi egg and use that IMO. Togekiss is boss.

Axion22

Sixfortyfive said:
I know there's a trainer in the Viridian Trainer House that uses all 3 starters, but I don't know if that gives you the Pokedex data for it since that place follows some of the Battle Frontier rules.

I could breed one pretty quick.

Well if you've got nothing better to do, sure I'll take a chikorita! :D

This Shiny Leaf business is a pretty annoying way to get a trainer star. At least filling up the Pokedex isn't a total crapshoot.

Anyone know if I can repeatedly talk to my Pokemon in the same spot and still get the leaf? Walking around means more wild Pokemon encounters which means more time wasted running away.

Been doing this for the past 15 minutes and haven't even gotten my 1st leaf yet. Can't wait to see how long it takes to get all 5. :/

EDIT: oh, crap. now Mew is all pissed at me for talking to it non-stop >:[

Top Bottom