• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neptunia - Dengeki Maoh 10th Anniversary (one-shot)
7bFxXcD.jpg
Yandere Nepgear is best Nepgear. A twinge of insanity from her could've given the sickening Conquest ending at least one positive aspect. I'm assuming this was done by the Hello New World artist - if so then it's a step above anything from that series. Only downsides were the brief length and the guest stars being 'dead' throughout the chapter.

Why is Kaguya so good.

I feel like over the past 5 years globalization has allowed younger mangaka to adopt a much wider and better idea of comedy so that their comedic timing and sense of humor is far superior to older works.

"Japan comedy" is a thing where most comedy series previously rarely got you a guffaw or laugh but instead were a small amused smirk or smile. That's of course because they now have a more western sense of comedy where that's the strived after reaction. Go back and look at comedic works through the passage of time and as it moves towards the present comedy manga has found much stronger Western connections.

Now the trick is telling whether or not I'm being serious with all this shit. Spoilers: Maybe?

All I know is I'm finding way more amusing manga recently and if I read some comedy manga from the 90s it rarely even gets a chuckle.

cntr

Banned
What OniBarubary said, but also, most new manga kind of feel like they're focused on making relatable characters and focusing more on characterization. But that might be biased by the recent stuff I'm into, heh.

mdubs

Banned
I've been reading the Haikyu!! and Kuroko's Basketball manga releases for review. It's become apparent to me that after 4 volumes, Kuroko is very bad in comparison to Haikyu!! (and other sports manga such as Eyeshield). The characters are bland, the plotting is bad, and the games are a collection of coolish looking plays rather than actually showing a game proceeding.

I've been reading the Haikyu!! and Kuroko's Basketball manga releases for review. It's become apparent to me that after 4 volumes, Kuroko is very bad in comparison to Haikyu!! (and other sports manga such as Eyeshield). The characters are bland, the plotting is bad, and the games are a collection of coolish looking plays rather than actually showing a game proceeding.

On a scale from 1 - Slam Dunk how is Haikyu?

Conan-san

Thats around where L first reveals himself to Light, which same time in Promised Neverland we just had Chrone expose the fact she knows about the 5 kids and has formed an uneasy alliance with them and is about to explain more of the world. In terms of plot both series are at similar places at the same amount of time.

Yes but instead of 20 chapters of "Oh maybe I'll do this oh maybe I'll do that, oh we're on namak, shit" I had 20 chapters of Kira Kira'ing at Break Kira Speed.

One's exciting, one's watching paint dry (and slightly racist).

Spirit Circle: Another item highly recommended to me on jumps off week, from the same author as Biscuit Hammer (one of my favourite manga I read this year). And I must admit for the most part it is another stand out hit. I love the premise, and the execution of the 'past' lives is excellent. With each individual story making you feel a different aspect of emotion from the last. Though I must say that I didn't enjoy the 'future' aspects of the story so much as I felt they messed with or distracted from the initial idea of the story.

All in all a title I would recommend, especially is you enjoyed this artist's previous works.

V.B.Rose: A random Shoujo manga I picked up last night to ease my boredom. Based around a girl called Ageha and the store Velvet Blue Rose, a shop run by Yukari and Mitsu, a two-man team that design and make wedding dresses.

Pretty standard Shoujo here but it ticks all the right boxes and manages to keep you entertained for the ride. At only 83 chapters it's not a long read, but manages to avoid most of the annoying bloat you get with Shoujo, allowing it's story to be told without overstaying it's welcome.
Not saying that long running Shoujo can't be great, hell Skip Beat is definitely in my top 10, maybe back in top 5 after this last chapter.

I'd say give it a read if you have an evening to spare and want something soft and squishy to pass your time.

Arabesque

What OniBarubary said, but also, most new manga kind of feel like they're focused on making relatable characters and focusing more on characterization. But that might be biased by the recent stuff I'm into, heh.

It's the case with any type of media or cultural things. The longer a medium runs, the more refined and complex the craft to make it gets, and the more people want from it. Short of a truly cataclysmic event, these things improve.

You'll notice that the stuff that used by in vogue 10 years ago was much better, on average, than the stuff 20 years ago, and 30 years ago, and so on. Same with today, the techniques and technology had gotten much better that what used to be difficult to research/draw/visualise is now possible. And also the market had gotten to the point where it wants more than what people in the 90/80/70's used to be satisfied with. Relatable and human characters, more complex antagonists, complex conflicts, bigger focus on selling the cast than the story.

Obviously, the more well written and classic stuff stands out in every era, regardless of what is in at the time.

I feel like over the past 5 years globalization has allowed younger mangaka to adopt a much wider and better idea of comedy so that their comedic timing and sense of humor is far superior to older works.

I know you were (half?) joking with some of the post, but I feel that played a huge part of it. Not so much the globalisation directly (that goes beyond 5 years) but easy of access to new ideas and the market being so massive now had allowed the younger generation of mangaka to experience things older generations would have had more difficulties coming across.

Yeah, no, Promised Neverland's flaw is that people want it to be a manga it isn't.

The writer is going to have to make a serious decision as to how to handle the next phase of the manga once they escape...will the kids unearth innate super powers to be able to squash the demonic inquisition, or will they become child soldiers essentially killing machines using normal guns and etc to kill these flesh eating beasts. IMO its not a question of if it will become a battle manga but rather when.

Arabesque

The writer is going to have to make a serious decision as to how to handle the next phase of the manga once they escape...will the kids unearth innate super powers to be able to squash the demonic inquisition, or will they become child soldiers essentially killing machines using normal guns and etc to kill these flesh eating beasts. IMO its not a question of if it will become a battle manga but rather when.

I should already be aware, given your posts, but

Were you trying to prove Oni's point or are you serious with those predictions?

Yes but instead of 20 chapters of "Oh maybe I'll do this oh maybe I'll do that, oh we're on namak, shit" I had 20 chapters of Kira Kira'ing at Break Kira Speed.

One's exciting, one's watching paint dry (and slightly racist).

Once the escape happens it'll be a huge change from the status quo, learning as much as they can about the situation and potential obstacles is what builds this. Each chapter has ended on a cliff hanger that changes things for the characters and their situation. The 4d chess match between the kids, mom, and sister is the exciting part, the escape/blocked escape is what all sides are making moves towards.

Yeah, no, Promised Neverland's flaw is that people want it to be a manga it isn't.

This

I've joked about this at the same time I have a hard time imagining how exactly the series will play out post escape. Camping in the woods on the run with a bunch of little kids can't go on that long.

mdubs

Banned
On a scale from 1 - Slam Dunk how is Haikyu?

I like Haikyu!! better than Slam Dunk (which I've read the first 14 volumes of), so take that for what it's worth. I also like Eyeshield and Cross Game more than Slam Dunk. I tend to think Haikyu!! is the best, but those are two are very strong (Eyeshield sort of peters out around vol 29 imo)

TheFlow

Banned
eyeshield 21 is the best sports manga.

slam Dunk is the best realistic sports manga.

Haikyuu is the best ongoing, but some will argue ippo which is also well deserving.

sports manga is my favorite genre.

eyeshield 21 is the best sports manga.

slam Dunk is the best realistic sports manga.

Haikyuu is the best ongoing, but some will argue ippo which is also well deserving.

sports manga is my favorite genre.

Ookiku Furikabutte, Baby Steps and Ahiru no Sora are all better than Ippo or Haikyuu.

I just see no other choice than either of these two options for the series. For people to imagine that the series will avoiding any type of action, I just cant see how that would be possible based on the setting and details revealed thus far.

Arabesque

I've joked about this at the same time I have a hard time imagining how exactly the series will play out post escape. Camping in the woods on the run with a bunch of little kids can't go on that long.

It can always go down a Lord of the Flies path, and have a total downer ending once/if they escape. Camping it in the woods to die out a slow death isn't out of the cards.

I will admit it is a big question mark, but we can see how it plays out once/if it happens. A survival or adventure arc in the outside world is also possible.

I just see no other choice than either of these two options for the series. For people to imagine that the series will avoiding any type of action, I just cant see how that would be possible based on the setting and details revealed thus far.

I mean, it can have some action. But you went and said either it will have the kids discover inner demons (???) or will be picking up guns and shooting demons in the face (????) which is, kind of out there in terms of predicting where the story will go.

Ascheroth

Kimetsu no Yaiba

Huh.
Huh.
I honestly have no idea how this survived in Jump and even became apparently pretty popular somewhat recently, but I'm glad it did.
Interesting setting with some mysteries, cool and creative fights and a bunch of likeable characters, but I don't think the art is that great.
The start is somewhat slow though, and it has a somewhat unusual way of narration, especially in fights. I call it the anti-Bleach way of battle-narrating.
:p
Instead of characters loudly proclaiming their powers and their every move, most of this happens in their thoughts only. It's mostly the main character thinking about his tactics during a battle and trying to deduct the moves of his opponent, but you'll have the same thing on the enemy side as well, to a lesser extent.

There's also a fair share of body-horror going on with the Oni.

TheFlow

Banned
Kuro no basket was highly entertaining till it got out of hand with the zone. Like the finals was when I stopped caring about the manga.

I know you were (half?) joking with some of the post, but I feel that played a huge part of it. Not so much the globalisation directly (that goes beyond 5 years) but easy of access to new ideas and the market being so massive now had allowed the younger generation of mangaka to experience things older generations would have had more difficulties coming across.

Yeah, in the way I do sometimes, I was being serious but taking the piss out of myself because I was having a hard time actualizing what I was thinking and wanted to at least get something out on paper so to speak. I had a hard time getting my thoughts ordered and obviously they were based on just shit off the top of my head without research so I didn't want to make a totally factual claim about something I only had a hypothesis for. Instead of spending time to look it up or find a clear way to communicate what I meant, I instead opted for fucking around and derision! Go me!

There's also a fair share of body-horror going on with the Oni.

Wait what? Are we body-shaming me now?

A.J.

Banned
Once the escape happens it'll be a huge change from the status quo, learning as much as they can about the situation and potential obstacles is what builds this. Each chapter has ended on a cliff hanger that changes things for the characters and their situation. The 4d chess match between the kids, mom, and sister is the exciting part, the escape/blocked escape is what all sides are making moves towards.
Honestly what direction the series will take after the escape is the most compelling mystery of the series for me. Not that the other mysteries so far are bad, I'm just curious to see how things evolve with what has been set up so far.

MCD

The Promised Neverland

Sister Krone survived hell. Kids shouldn't have underestimated her just because she is not on equal grounds with Mama.

Usobuko

Banned
Sports manga has to have as little superpower creeps as possible for me to like it.

It's like when you shoot a 3 pointer in basketball or hit a great backhand shot in tennis, that form and path itself is already beautiful and you momentarily stop to admire its trajectory.

No need for DBZ interference.

Sandfox

My top 3 sports manga are:
Eyeshield 21/H2
Hinomaru

There are still a lot of sports manga I would like to finish though like Slam Dunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom