• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTC| Delicious cooking not in thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Setsuji wo Pin 58

WrFfXG0.png

Peco

Yamamoto Mimikaki-Ten
Great oneshot about a boy's sexual explosion thanks to a handmade bamboo ear cleaner and the woman who made it. By Yaro Abe, author of another really well made manga Shinya Shokudou.

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 45

You know, I think it would be kinda fun to play a life size board game. I mean it doesn't have to be as lewd as this, though I don't think I'd complain if I were in Kogarashi's position.

Do I smell a challenge?

I don't doubt you could find something stranger. Though I certainly wouldn't check.

Revo

Finally got around to finishing up JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6: Stone Ocean.
Note: Major spoilers ahead.

It was certainly different than the other parts. I don't remember if any stand in part 5 or earlier had any stand abilities as far reaching as part 6 did with Bohemian Rhapsody/Made in Heaven etc. Not sure how I feel about more wide range ones but I'd like to see at least 1 more in steel ball run to solidify my opinion.

I also never cared about Pucci at all. I don't really know what to say about him other than that. Just was completely whatever to all his stuff. I did like Jolyne though. Creative uses of stands are always great and Jolyne always had a different way of doing things every fight.

As for the fights, definitely at the minimum felt like there were a lot less fights and more puzzle solving. I ended up stopping a long time ago having read like a third of the series so I don't remember all that much about the early battles either. Either way I don't really mind more puzzles or more brawls as long as they're good.

Overall I felt like Stone Ocean ended up feeling more like a transitional phase of jojo (with the ending pretty much cementing the feeling) like part 1/3 rather than something more self contained like 2/4/5. Which means I'm expecting a lot out of the next part, especially considering all the praise I've seen for it.

As a side note, I hope this is the last we see of a major dio involvement in a plot. Not to hate on dio, but I can't see what else can be used that'd I prefer over another self contained part.

It was certainly different than the other parts. I don't remember if any stand in part 5 or earlier had any stand abilities as far reaching as part 6 did with Bohemian Rhapsody/Made in Heaven etc

Theres Star Platinum/The World and Bites the Dust, but Bohemian Rhapsody and Made in Heaven have the most obvious infinite range effects

Shengar

Baggataway - 23

I'm grateful that I can continue reading this. But I kinda regretful at the same time that this had to happened after I read Mai Ball because the art quality between the two is very apparent. Inoue Sora is fucking talented at drawing flow of a sports match.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Straighten Up! Oh snap! Idol guy has some plus traits after all!

Magi Is... is that the shit kid from Reim way back???

Blue Excorcist Okay, this was really interesting. I am really digging the rotting corpse look that seems to be the prevalent theme of the top demons, and the idea of being "concepts" is actually really neat to me.

Revo

I've read through the first half dozen chapters of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 7: Steel Ball Run and it's been absolutely great so far. I love the idea behind this part and we haven't even gotten to stands yet.

But what I love more is the idea of araki debating in his head of what to do post part 6. Debating between continuing on somehow after part 6 or just going back 100 years and having a god damn non stop horse race across america. And he goes with the god damn horse race.

Fancolors

This week had me juggling work, AGDQ and reading Oyasumi Punpun(1 - 82).

Inio Asano is making me wish I couldn't feel emotions, and yet, I want to find more about Punpun and the inevitable tragedy that will come with his relationships.

The part where
Punpun is unable to express any sort of emotion in front of his dying mother
hits too close to home.

Goblin Slayer would be a pretty good manga/maybe LN if it didn't do the same thing all manga did to try and be surprising and dark and the Walking Dead and having all it's women get raped and killed, sometimes in that order and sometimes in reverse, every chapter all the time for 15 pages in graphic detail.

The concept is great:

"People don't take goblins seriously and new adventurers get fucking killed by them for being overconfident jerks who think they're trash mobs, so there's a dude who goes around and only kills goblins cause of trauma"

And then the execution is like...vomiting on a pile of vomit.

sasuke_91

This week had me juggling work, AGDQ and reading Oyasumi Punpun(1 - 82).

Inio Asano is making me wish I couldn't feel emotions, and yet, I want to find more about Punpun and the inevitable tragedy that will come with his relationships.

The part where
Punpun is unable to express any sort of emotion in front of his dying mother
hits too close to home.

Oyasumi Punpun is the single greatest manga I will never touch again. Reading it was hard, very, very hard at times, but I couldn't put it away until I finished it.
I had to stop reading though after a specific scene later in the story in the chapter where (HEAVY SPOILER WARNING!)
Aiko commits suicide
. That was too much for me. Everything else was somewhat bearable.

Nordicus

"People don't take goblins seriously and new adventurers get fucking killed by them for being overconfident jerks who think they're trash mobs, so there's a dude who goes around and only kills goblins cause of trauma"
Reminds me of this "Tucker's Kobolds" thing I heard in D&D

"In all the games that I've seen, the worst, most horrible, most awful beyond-comparison opponents ever seen were often weaker than the characters who fought them. They were simply well-armed and intelligent beings who were played by the DM to be utterly ruthless and clever. Tucker's kobolds were like that.

Tucker ran an incredibly dangerous dungeon in the days I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, N.C. This dungeon had corridors that changed all of your donkeys into huge flaming demons or dropped the whole party into acid baths, but the demons were wienies compared to the kobolds on Level One. These kobolds were just regular kobolds, with 1-4 hp and all that, but they were mean. When I say they were mean, I mean they were bad, Jim. They graduated magna cum laude from the Sauron Institute for the Criminally Vicious."

One of my favorite campaigns I ever ran for DnD included a kobold antagonist who was a level 18 Monk. They ran into him at the end of one of their first adventures and were like "Let's fuck this lizard up" and proceeded to get paralyze palm'd and left for dead in a pit of spiders.

Goblin Slayer 1-8

Party of wannabe adventurers with the bashful warrior, sullen dark mage, cheerful fighter and novice white mage go into a goblin's nest for an extermination quest only to get rekt.

Thus enters an experienced Dark Souls III character Goblin Slayer and saves the white mage and proceeds to pwn all the goblins.

Merry adventures ensues especially with the coming of a classic trio of lizardman, elf and dwarf proposing a quest for the titular main character.

Does he want to save the world ? No.
Does he want to get rich and/or famous ? No.
Does he want to be a hero ? No.
Dos he want to kill goblins ? Why, yes.

It was pretty ok. I like the MC design. There's like a total of 3 scenes where you see women kidnapped/raped by goblins, and it's like one or two panels each time, not the main focus.
Bonus points for him being savvy and smart enough to know how to exterminate goblins, such as using a protective barrier spell in order to block the exit and kill all the goblins in a hideout by suffocating them with fire.

bobohoro

Yourgai-sou no Yuuna-san 45

That setup would have allowed for way more creative situations than your standard bathing fan service.
Meh.

Shengar

I don't like how it try to be edgy yet try to sexually pander at the same time. It doesn't make sense for goblins to randomly rape human in the first place but how the author depicted it is even more problematic because the rape scene (of the first) is not shown purely as something disgusting but to incite the reader arousal. I'm so mad because the premise of underestimating "low" creature only for them able to pwn everything else is interesting especially when you accustomed to fantasy tropes. But jeez, both Goblin Slayer and Re:Monster just able to fuck it up badly with shitty pandering. So mad that I began drafting Goblin WAAAGH story on my own.

Re:Monster was cool at first but I'm sick and tired of LN dialogue.

Stop writing your manga to mimic books. You have pictures, I have eyes, you don't need to explain things so thoroughly, show don't tell for fuck's sake.

I do actually really like that one of Goblin Slayer's main side characters is a really interesting lizardman who is portrayed as the smart and patient one of his party. Lizardmen are under-represented and often chumped out in everything so him being an actually interesting character and Overlord's lizardman arc being far and away it's best one has me really happy about lizardmen representation.

Nothing better happen to him, he's super cool.

I don't like how it try to be edgy yet try to sexually pander at the same time. It doesn't make sense for goblins to randomly rape human in the first place but how the author depicted it is even more problematic because the rape scene (of the first) is not shown purely as something disgusting but to incite the reader arousal. I'm so mad because the premise of underestimating "low" creature only for them able to pwn everything else is interesting especially when you accustomed to fantasy tropes. But jeez, both Goblin Slayer and Re:Monster just able to fuck it up badly with shitty pandering. So mad that I began drafting Goblin WAAAGH story on my own.

Berserk makes it horrifying enough to fit in with the world.

sasuke_91

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";228095874]Berserk makes it horrifying enough to fit in with the world.[/QUOTE]

I also wouldn't call the sex/rape scenes in Berserk "pandering".

Zweizer

Banned
Flying Witch ch31

I don't really like offal, but these scallops look damn tasty.

'Twas an appropriately flashy celebration~

Maoyuu ch46

Man it's been more than a year since the last chapter?

RIP Silver Tiger.

brawly

High School (manhwa)

About 30 chapters in. It's great. Ridiculously strong delinquents doing what they do best. Han Ryu is such an interesting character.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Yeah Goblin Slayer is super dumb. I like how so little effort is put anything but the violence. I don't recall seeing any actual names for, like, anything. Not the world or land they belong to nor proper names to these characters. Ain't got time for that shit like that when there's schlock to be had I guess.

For all my homies - Ballroom e Youkoso (among other things) Vol.1 is available on comixology right now for $0.99.

Here's a link. Happiness, Princess Jellyfish, and The Ghost and The Lady are also a dollar a volume.

C.M.B: Nice little detective boy manga that mostly revolves around historical artifacts.

Q.E.D: C.M.B's Quantum physicist cousin.

Saguri-san Tankentai Ch1: A simple yet quaint manga about a sickly young girl who longs for the outside world, which she is constantly told about via her childhood friend. Skip forward to her moving town, him growing up and entering high/middle school. Where they are reunited (with her illness in recession) leading to him fulfilling his promise to go exploring with her.

Hiraheishi Wa Kako O Yuemiru: In standard light novel style, daemons invade kill most of the loved ones of the main character. He then continues to fight until he dies at the end of the war, thus being revived in an attempt to subvert their deaths. Nothing too special or revolutionary, but it does seem to occasionally show shades of something darker.

Hakaaijuu: Two childhood friends fight and compete over their childhood sweetheart using basketball, that is until the cthulhu attacked!

EDIT: On a side note anyone got any recomendations for a darker action manga where we slowly watch the main character's sanity slip away (either from despair or just anything really). As I'm in the mood for some of that right now..

Stinky

Can ye help me find the page/manga where this girl is feeding a birds and tells her friend to hold the bird. she holds them by their necks - "!..She is holding them so violently!"

Manga Sales Jan 2nd - 8th

*1. 215,059 *,348,795 Ao no Exorcist Vol.18
*2. 177,486 *,285,168 Shokugeki no Souma Vol.22
*3. 148,188 *,239,613 Owari no Seraph Vol.13
*4. 135,090 *,461,253 Kuroshitsuji Vol.24
*5. 117,840 *,202,351 Gintama Vol.67
*6. *92,891 *,180,305 Toriko Vol.43
*7. *79,790 *,464,126 Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii Vol.3
*8. *69,148 *,103,544 Shuumatsu no Harem Vol.2
*9. *67,290 *,703,700 Tokyo Ghoul:re Vol.9
10. *62,384 1,319,112 Shingeki no Kyojin Vol.21

11. *56,338 *,*56,338 Yowamushi Pedal Vol.48
12. *54,908 *,*54,908 Amaama to Inazuma Vol.8
13. *53,926 *,*85,529 Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan Vol.20
14. *43,438 *,541,337 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.24
15. *34,916 *,*34,916 Uso Kano Vol.8
16. *32,920 *,514,799 Detective Conan Vol.91
17. *30,877 *,717,451 One Punch-Man Vol.12
18. *28,566 *,*69,357 Super Lovers Vol.10
19. *28,441 *,299,544 JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 8: JoJolion Vol.14
20. *27,519 *,113,242 Kimi no Na wa. Vol.2

21. *27,286 *,*27,286 Baki-Dou Vol.15
22. *26,187 *,108,098 Kanojo wa Uso wo Aishisugiteru Vol.21
23. *25,767 *,150,894 Saki Vol.16
24. *25,364 *,*59,898 Ultraman Vol.9
25. *24,729 *,756,814 Haikyuu!! Vol.24
26. *23,894 *,386,081 Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen Vol.1
27. *23,627 *,176,004 Tsubaki-chou Lonely Planet Vol.6
28. *22,685 *,274,893 Fairy Tail Vol.59
29. *22,135 2,574,781 One Piece Vol.83
30. *22,026 *,225,239 P to JK Vol.8

31. *21,872 *,*49,250 Neon Sign Amber
32. *20,622 *,*88,658 Kuzu no Honkai Vol.7
33. *20,308 *,*20,308 Darwin's Game Vol.11
34. *19,776 *,*57,696 Satsuriku no Tenshi Vol.3
35. *19,327 *,121,952 Nijiiro Days Vol.14
36. *19,221 *,*19,221 Yuki wa Jigoku ni Ochiru no ka Vol.6
37. *18,976 *,*62,208 Awa Koi Vol.1
38. *18,655 *,*31,683 Samon-kun wa Summoner Vol.7
39. *17,959 *,*30,197 Karadasagashi Vol.11
40. *17,816 *,111,891 Kou no Dori Vol.16

41. *17,269 *,207,969 Ahiru no Sora Vol.46
42. *17,192 *,268,644 Otoyomegatari Vol.9
43. *16,963 *,291,523 Barakamon Vol.14
44. *16,687 *,151,433 Dragon Ball Super Vol.2
45. *16,611 *,279,398 Mix Vol.10
46. *16,440 *,162,140 Shuumatsu no Harem Vol.1
47. *15,572 *,*26,426 ēlDLIVE Vol.7
48. *15,526 *,*37,618 Yumemiru Taiyou Vol.8
49. *15,126 *,155,196 Akatsuki no Yona Vol.22
50. *14,794 *,*14,794 Btooom! Vol.22

EDIT: On a side note anyone got any recomendations for a darker action manga where we slowly watch the main character's sanity slip away (either from despair or just anything really). As I'm in the mood for some of that right now..

I wish I had better recollection, I feel so useless when people ask for suggestions because my ability to draw anything from my brain is non-existent. Yet I'm sitting on like thousands of manga I've read/am reading.

I think Happiness is exactly what you're looking for though

I do actually really like that one of Goblin Slayer's main side characters is a really interesting lizardman who is portrayed as the smart and patient one of his party. Lizardmen are under-represented and often chumped out in everything so him being an actually interesting character and Overlord's lizardman arc being far and away it's best one has me really happy about lizardmen representation.

Nothing better happen to him, he's super cool.

That reminds me of Stravaganza where there's a lizardman who at first glance is scary and barbaric is revealed to be considerate and heroic instead. Then he suddenly dies. It all happened in a span of ten pages of the first chapter and somehow it made lost motivation to continue.

Goblin Slayer 1-8

I'm actually liking this.

his single minded nature is pretty awesome so far as he doesn't give a fuck (unless its about Goblins).

Also this group is very interesting with their varying personalities

Lain

I wish I had better recollection, I feel so useless when people ask for suggestions because my ability to draw anything from my brain is non-existent. Yet I'm sitting on like thousands of manga I've read/am reading.

I think Happiness is exactly what you're looking for though

I would have suggested Re:Zero, if anime were an acceptable compromise. I wonder if the novel is as mindbreaking or heartrending as the anime was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom