• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watership

I won't know until I get those controllers into my hands, the separate joysticks looks INCREDIBLY tiny. That's not just me right?

foxbeldin

NeoGAF: where everything is either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.

Either goat or garbage pile of hot steaming shit trash.

Pick a side already.

I won't know until I get those controllers into my hands, the separate joysticks looks INCREDIBLY tiny. That's not just me right?

65236_gb_news.jpg

why would you say that?

xealo

The launch window seems pretty empty until summer at earliest aside from Zelda and a Mario kart port in late april.

It'll probably see a 3ds style price cut by fall.

Were people this negative when we got Wii U's details? Right now this destroys the Wii U's launch and launch window. I don't understand why people are so negative atm.

In Canada this thing will bomb hard wow. 400$ console, 100$ pro controller without a game that cost 80$. And then it has 32 gb of storage...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I though it was a safe bet to do well, but they totally messed up IMO.

$300 price is too high already, then add in needing an SD card of you buy digitally at all, crazy expensive joy cons and pro control and paid online and it's just priced like a premium item which makes it a tough buy for a lot of families and for gamers like me who are busy with games on other platforms but considering Switch as a secondary platform for Nintendo games.

Doubling down on motion control casual crap like 1 2 Switch and Arms makes little sense as well with the high pricing making it not an impulse buy for the Wii Sports crowd if any of them did get interested in those games.

Just a dumpster fire. I put in a preorder at Best Buy on one, but I'm having a hard time not canceling it the more I think on it and learn more details. Like waiting to see it only has 32 GB storage.

Berksy

We need a poll :D

I think this is not a good start but if handheld and console titles both appear on Switch as supposed it can go places.

These people on GAF are hilarious, don't want to pay for online services yet I'm sure most people do for the PS4/XBOne and don't see them complaining.

Controllers are expensive and too much yet PS4/Xbone controllers go between $59.99-$74.99 regular price.

No games at all yet has more games for the year than the Wii U did. We haven't even seen the treehouse for today yet.

$300.00 is too much compared to $249.99 which is a $50 difference in price and can be easy to budget for unless the only reason why is it's expensive for people is because it's "Nintendo" and people were burned by the Wii U so they hold a grudge. I know I felt burned by the deluxe Wii U at $349.99 but I honestly feel the launch for this one is different and am looking forward to it. This is a launch system folks I'm sure we can expect it to go down a little in the future especially during the holiday. Not sure how people could justify the other two systems at launch with the pricing especially with the games at launch and the year. Remember a lot of people complained about the PS4 for that and look at where it's at right now.

Saltiness levels are all over the place for sure and it's making me laugh too much.

I wouldnt really consider myself much of a gaf person, and i do not like the idea of paying for online with Nintendo.

XBL was always a premium product that improved over time. It also had the games to back it up. Halo in specific for XBOX, and they continued to add to it with things such as Gears. Having achievements, friends list, party chat, plus the games, and continued tweaks always made it worth it for me.

PSN never had the same strong multiplayer library in terms of exclusives, but adding in PS+ was a good idea, and echoed over to XBL. PS+ took what made XBL successful, and incorporated it in their own way. You also have to consider third party games such as Call of Duty, Battlefield, and more recently things such as Overwatch and Rocket League which both XBL and PS+ have.

Nintendo has Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and possibly pokemon, but has shown a lack of understanding live networks for a long time. Friend codes, not a good party chat, and no trophy/achievements as an example is garbage by this point. Im sure the new Nintendo Network will be better, but doesnt make me exactly confident either. Add in that Nintendo doesnt have great support from third party, and there will be a much healthier community on XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, etc doesnt make me anymore confident.

You can get both XBO and PS4 controller for $50 on amazon. Regularly $60. Switch controller is too expensive, sorry to say.

Switch for $300 also does seem to expensive. That is a gut feeling, maybe you feel different about it, but the specs arent anything amazing, and for me personally this will be more of a handheld than a home console. Maybe not what they are aiming for, but that will be my personaly preference of it.

These people on GAF are hilarious, don't want to pay for online services yet I'm sure most people do for the PS4/XBOne and don't see them complaining.

Apples to oranges.
Most people use their Xboxes and PS4s for online multiplayer a lot.
Nintendo isn't exactly known for that kind of experience,
Most people were content just playing some Mario Kart here and then.

Also, if I already pay that subscription for my "main console", it hurts a lot if I need to pay that also for my "secondary" console just to play a round of MK from time to time.

It really kills off some people who'd consider this as their secondary console (plus the stupid price).

If I'm going to buy a console there has to be more than a handful of decent games released for it every year. That game lineup in the other thread is abysmal.

I was curious about the switch. I havent owned a nintendo system in 15 or 20 years. They did not win me over. I mean... what am I going to do with it once i finish zelda lol?

Quonny

I will give you the economist answer: it depends, what is your definition of success?
If Nintendo just wants to appease their fans and give them a handful of Nintendo games a year, leading to a smaller market and being very successful in that niche market, more power to them.

But that's not what they want. They want to go big. Their mobile efforts, Wii system, and handhelds show that. And this, at $300 with all the other questionable decisions, won't accomplish that goal.

Nintendo should have gone for 2 devices with one games library.

- 720p €/$199 handheld

- 1080p €/$349 console

You lose the hybrid gimmick, but honestly I doubt many people will care much about it.

StayDead

Eurogamer already mentioned that Game Freak's jumping ship with Stars. And judging by Sun/Moon moving away from relying on the 2nd screen or some of the 3DS's features, I'd be inclined to believe them.

Eurogamer have been wrong on a hell of a lot of things to do with this.

npm0925

Like the Wii U, it should be a suitable companion console, although it is too expensive at present. Let me put it this way: I'd rather have a PS4 and a Switch than a PS4 Pro, a PS4 and an Xbox One, or a PS4 and a PC.

Neoxon

Eurogamer have been wrong on a hell of a lot of things to do with this.
They've been pretty on-point about the Switch thus far, from its concept to its power. They even got other things right such as the Telltale Guardians game. Plus, as mentioned earlier, certain changes in Sun/Moon already point towards Game Freak making the switch this Fall.

I'm not saying they won't release it on switch. Simultaneous release like early PS4 games in japan.
Eurogamer (or more specifically, Tom Phillips) specifically said Switch-only, sooo......yeah.

STEaMkb

It will be moderately successful once Nintendo throw their full weight behind it. A lot of people won't ever be fully satisfied with the device, or the paid services--which are necessary if you wish to see gradual improvement and new network features--and many old hands will move on to new pastures.

But for the sake of Nintendo I hope it is successful because, as Shuhei Yoshida once remarked, the gaming industry needs them.

At the prices they want, I don't think it will do well. I would be interested in this, but the price is not justified, relative to the specs and competition.

Zelda looks incredible and I like some of the other upcoming games, but eh...Also, so much for Beyond Good and Evil 2...which I suppose is good news. It should be PS4 whenever it hits as well.

Exactly, yet both consoles sold well and have big online communities.

Live had Halo as a selling point, and Microsoft built an extremely robust online multi-player community around the fanbase of that game. Halo 1 and 2 sold what...nearly 13 million copies between them?

Even with that the original Xbox was pretty much a failure at about 24 million units, and it wasn't until the 360 launched that live truly took off.

Sony built a competitor to Live with PSN, but that service was and is still free on PS3 to build and audience, and Sony literally gave away every significant first and third party game I can think of for free with the monthly subscription to make it compelling. Not 20 and 30 year old NES games, new AAA titles.

By the time the ps4 launched and they charged for multi-player, PSN had an extremely loyal locked I'm audience that wasn't keen on losing dozens of games.

Nintendo isn't in the position of either of those two. Their online attempts have been anemic if not outright laughable.

All charging is going to do is completely cripple online play for all titles that show up on the switch.

Jigorath

Banned
Not at that price and that launch lineup. The drip feed of games of games over the year is going to be a killer for any momentum.

RM8

Doing GCN numbers would be a good thing, realistically speaking, right? At least I don't see it doing worse than WiiU, lol.

Par Score

Not at it's current price. But I think that might be the plan.

Rake in the fanboys and the day-one-perch brigade at $300, slash the price to grab the rest of the market. Just like the 3DS.

If Nintendo make a similarly aggressive move on price as they did when the 3DS was faltering near launch, then they can go on to have a 3DS style success.

That means this thing needs to be $200 for Holiday 2017. $200, Mario Odyssey and Pokemon Stars in time for the Holiday and this thing is a monster hit.

Will it make money?

Yes, probably. It's sure as hell not looking like it'll be sold at a loss.

Sales wise though?

I can't see it having a hope in hell of coming close to the combined sales of WiiU and 3DS. Honestly, with 3rd party games off the table and such a high price for such weak hardware and anemic library again, I wouldn't be surprised to see another WiiU situation.

Who knows though, maybe it'll be a massive success, but I wouldn't be putting money on it myself.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think it could do ok- I was actually impressed with the 1st party announcements, and assuming Pokemon really is coming later this year, I think you will see the 3DS crowd start to transition over.

The short term problem is the launch lineup is extremely weak. Zelda is great, but the people who might pay $300 for this console on day 1 are likely to own a Wii U.

True Fire

Controllers are expensive and too much yet PS4/Xbone controllers go between $59.99-$74.99 regular price.

No games at all yet has more games for the year than the Wii U did. We haven't even seen the treehouse for today yet.

$300.00 is too much compared to $249.99 which is a $50 difference in price and can be easy to budget for unless the only reason why is it's expensive for people is because it's "Nintendo" and people were burned by the Wii U so they hold a grudge. I know I felt burned by the deluxe Wii U at $349.99 but I honestly feel the launch for this one is different and am looking forward to it. This is a launch system folks I'm sure we can expect it to go down a little in the future especially during the holiday. Not sure how people could justify the other two systems at launch with the pricing especially with the games at launch and the year. Remember a lot of people complained about the PS4 for that and look at where it's at right now.

Saltiness levels are all over the place for sure and it's making me laugh too much.

Nintendo's online has significantly less value than their competitors. We still don't even know if they have untethered games or cloud saves.

You only need one or two PS4/Xbox One controllers. Nintendo is selling a collection of accessories individually for horrific prices.

"It's better than the Wii U" isn't a good argument.

"You can budget an extra $50" isn't a good argument.

Have you considered that people are salty because they expected more from a company on its last legs?

LordOfChaos

I'm having a hard time gut-checking this one. I think it'll definitely do better than the Wii U, but fall short of a smashing success. The 300 price point (400 in Canada, cry) and paid online put it above an impulse buy for most.

Smells a lot like Wii U to me, I expect similar results. Zelda has a core loyal fanbase, but it does not expand beyond the market of people who bought a Wii U. As a 3DS upgrade, it may find some traction far down the road but it may be too late at that point. As a console, it's severely underpowered (moreso come fall).

Neoxon

Not at it's current price. But I think that might be the plan.

Rake in the fanboys and the day-one-perch brigade at $300, slash the price to grab the rest of the market. Just like the 3DS.

If Nintendo make a similarly aggressive move on price as they did when the 3DS was faltering near launch, then they can go on to have a 3DS style success.

That means this thing needs to be $200 for Holiday 2017. $200, Mario Odyssey and Pokemon Stars in time for the Holiday and this thing is a monster hit.
Not sure about $200, seeing as the 3DS family is still being sold at that price & it could risk the Switch being sold at a loss. I could see $250 happening, though.

Alebrije

With that price nope, specially in Mexico were you can get an Xbone S with Gears 4 or other bundle for $275.00 US.

Liked the games but Nintendo still thinks they live on the N64 era were just a game like Zelda or Mario at launch were enough for the consumers.

The lack of UBI, Capcom, Fromsoftware, Etc. games yesterday gives bad vibes ....

personally will get it but right now looks like a WiiU scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom