• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yeah I'm referring to DS flash carts. What's the benefit of a cpu or non-cpu one?

I basically just want one to play my AAI2 and New Mystery of the Emblem with fan translations.

If it's just to play those titles and you aren't bothered to lose portability then I could recommend WiiU if you own one and don't wanna spend money for a flashcart.
Been playing AAI2 fan-t on there and it's great, the emu lets you customize the dual screens in such fantastic ways and making it a much better experience. Btw, it's also a great game, so much better than the boring drag that was the 1st AAI.

Unicorn

So while I was waiting for my new SD card to come I've been playing games on the temporary profile on the 3DS. once I have the new card and do a system transfer is there a way to sign or reassign saves to that profile? Some games like pokemon save to the cart, but some are tied to the SD card or a mix of both. Friend code will obviously change, but what's the process?

Anyone know or have a link to discussion about this?

epmode

Anyone know or have a link to discussion about this?

Once you're on A9LH, the CIA version of JKSM is all kinds of useful for screwing around with save files. Before you're fully on A9LH, your options are more limited and it's pretty hit or miss.

edit: I'm not too clear on how to handle those games with crazy save files but JKSM has a few options that will probably help. You can copy/load/back up basic save data as well as "Extra Data".

I have a stock ambassador XL that I'm going to system transfer to a9lh new 3DS.

You're system transfering from a stock O3DDXL to an a9lh new 3DS ?

Is it necessary that the ambassador one remain stock ? Otherwise you can use soundhax / FastHax to get a9lh on it , then back up your saves.

Alternatively use JKSM / Decrypt9 to back up your saves on the N3DS , inject FBI into H&S again, then do the system transfer, then use JKSM / Decrypt9 to dump the ambassador (now N3DS) saves and reinsert where necessary.

Arthos

Question! So I'm currently trying to install arm9loaderhax and am on this step:

3. Copy the contents of the SafeA9LHInstaller .7z to the root of your SD card

It has a folder in the files titled 3DS. Do I overwrite the 3DS folder I have on my SD card or do I dump SafeA9LHInstaller folder into the already existing 3DS folder?

Question! So I'm currently trying to install arm9loaderhax and am on this step:

3. Copy the contents of the SafeA9LHInstaller .7z to the root of your SD card

It has a folder in the files titled 3DS. Do I overwrite the 3DS folder I have on my SD card or do I dump SafeA9LHInstaller folder into the already existing 3DS folder?
You overwrite the folder, which should only overwrite any files with the same names, the rest should be unaffected.

Basically just do exactly as the instruction says. Copy the contents to the root of the SD :p

Arthos

You overwrite the folder, which should only overwrite any files with the same names, the rest should be unaffected.

Basically just do exactly as the instruction says. Copy the contents to the root of the SD :p

Cool, thank you!

I just got to the step where I have to go to http://2xrsa.3ds.guide. However, when entering the internet browser, it froze and I was forced to shut it down. Now it's stuck on a black screen when I start up the 3DS. Where did I mess up?

Cool, thank you!

I just got to the step where I have to go to http://2xrsa.3ds.guide. However, when entering the internet browser, it froze and I was forced to shut it down. Now it's stuck on a black screen when I start up the 3DS. Where did I mess up?

Do you have arm9loaderhax.bin on your SD card ? You've either bricked or its trying to load that file and can't find it.

(There's an error that sometines occurs where the a9lh installer doesn't appear on the screen but still happens)

Arthos

Do you have arm9loaderhax.bin on your SD card ? You've either bricked or its trying to load that file and can't find it.

(There's an error that sometines occurs where the a9lh installer doesn't appear on the screen but still happens)

This is what my SD card looks like:

jIpWRHnl.jpg

I took out the SD card and restarted my 3DS and it worked. The only issue is that the colors on the top screen would flicker and change colors (pink, yellow, etc). I put the SD card in and it loads stuff back in. I'm supposed to use the web browser, no?

jIpWRHnl.jpg

I took out the SD card and restarted my 3DS and it worked. The only issue is that the colors on the top screen would flicker and change colors (pink, yellow, etc). I put the SD card in and it loads stuff back in. I'm supposed to use the web browser, no?

Yes use the browser and when it "freezes" after loading the URL just follow the steps normally (I think you need it press start or select to install a9lh), it should work even if screen is black. Then reboot while holding Start to open Hourglass9 and restore your nand.

If that doesn't work, I think someone else had your exact problem in this thread a while back... Don't remember how he fixed it.

Arthos

The strange part is I can't even type the URL. When I press internet browser and it loads the mainscreen with Bookmarks, Add, URL, etc, it just freezes when I pick URL or the box to type something in.

Lemme see if I can find the posts.

WildZero

Help! I've managed to get CFW installed & working fine, except for one game.
I've converted a Japanese New 3DS to European, but my EU digital copy of Puzzle & Dragons Mario Edition will not run.
It just goes to a black screen & I need to force a reboot.

I have created a file called 0004000000137800.txt in lumalocales with EUR EN inside, but it still won't work.
Am I doing something wrong here?

ShadowOwl

So, after hacking my O3DS looooong time ago I wonder if I should move on and follow the guide on https://3ds.guide/ to hack my up-to-date N3DS XL (Ver. 11.2.0-35E).

Are there any big risks I take as long I stick to all of the instructions? Any noteworthy disadvantages after installing a CFW (such as being unable to access the eShop)?

itschris

Some people have been wondering how they would go about adding the orchestral soundtrack to Dragon Quest VIII, so here's how I did it (you'll need both the NA (or EU) and Japanese versions of the game):

1. Dump your cart/carts to .CIA format using the Gamecart Dumper option in Hourglass9 (accessible by holding Start while powering on your 3DS, assuming you followed https://3ds.guide to install CFW). If you have either version through the eShop, check out this post for instructions.
2. Copy the .CIA file(s) you made from your SD card (Hourglass9 places them in the files9 folder) to your PC. Use HackingToolkit3DS to extract the files from both .CIAs.
3. The file structure is the same for both - the audio files are in the "ExtractedRomFS / rom / Sound / stream" folder. The soundtrack in the Japanese version consists of the files ranging from "BG_001.pcm16.bcstm" to "BG_046.pcm16.bcstm" (The BG files actually continue up to BG_077, but the rest are small jingles and sound effects, and replacing those leads to the end-of-battle and save jingles being way too loud for some reason). In the NA/EU version, the filenames are slightly different - "BG_001.dspadpcm.bcstm", for example. So rename the Japanese soundtrack to match the NA files, then replace the NA/EU soundtrack with the renamed JP files. Also, BG_041 was present in the JP version but not the NA one, at least for me. I left that one out of the transfer, since I'm not sure what would have happened if I added a file that wasn't originally there.
4. Using HackingToolkit3DS again, rebuild the NA/EU .CIA, then put it on your SD card, and use FBI (a homebrew app you should already have on your 3DS if you followed https://3ds.guide) to install it.
5. If you've already started playing the game, you'll probably want to continue your save file. You can use JK's Save Manager to back up your save and then import into your new modded version.

I'm no expert at this - I only recently installed CFW myself. It's possible I didn't do everything in the ideal way, but it worked for me!

Also, if you were interested in replacing the voice acting with the Japanese version, you should be able to do that as well, since all the audio files are in the stream folder. I didn't try, since I like the English VA.

If you need more help with any step in the process, you can ask here, or there are tutorials you can find online for each app/program I used - that's how I figured this stuff out myself, after all.

Erheller

Alright, so I threw together a quick FAQ for some of the questions that have been answered a lot in this thread. Only thing, though, is that I'm not an expert at 3DS hacking stuff so I'd appreciate it if someone could help me fill in the sections that I need help with.

Also, if you want to add a question or edit one of my answers, please let me know! This is to make it so that we don't have to keep answering the exact same questions over and over again.

Once I finish I'll send it to the OP and if they don't respond I'll get a mod to edit it in.

I can read and I want to learn more about 3DS hacking!
https://3ds.guide/ and https://3ds.guide/faq will most likely answer any burning questions you have.

What is 3DS homebrew?
someone help

What is 3DS custom firmware (CFW)?
someone help

What can CFW do that homebrew can't?
someone help

I'm lazy. Can I just get a 3DS flashcart and call it a day?
someone help
No. 3DS flashcarts are apparently awful and I don't know why someone halp

If I install CFW, can I keep my digital purchases, access the eShop, download updates from Nintendo, play online games, and make backups of game carts I own?
Yes to everything.

Can I get homebrew on my system?
Yes! No matter what system you have, you can access homebrew without having to spend any money. For more information, go to http://smealum.github.io/3ds/ for a list of homebrew access points. As of right now, you can use SoundHax (listed as Nintendo 3DS Sound) on any firmware 3DS, and it's totally free. If you're having trouble, follow 3ds.guide up to the Homebrew Launcher (SoundHax) page (don't go onto Decrypt9 if you don't want to install CFW).

My card isn't being recognized by my 3DS!
It needs to be formatted to FAT32.

Windows won't give me an option to format my (64gb or higher) SD card to FAT32!
Use GUIFormat, you can find it online.

Can I get CFW on my system?
Yes! Currently, every single 3DS on 11.2.0 and down can install CFW. 11.2.0 also happens to be the current firmware version, so everyone should be able to install CFW.

Okay, great. How do I install CFW?
Go to 3ds.guide. Follow it. Don't skip any steps. Back up when it says to back up.
If you don't follow the instructions correctly, you may lose your games and save files. Read the guide, people.
The process takes a few hours, so set aside at least three hours for installing CFW. Make sure to keep your 3DS plugged in the entire time, since running out of power at the wrong time may cause problems, and worst-case scenario, brick your 3DS.
If you install CFW, you are accepting that your device may brick during the process. Nowadays, the risk is minimal, but still present. Be warned.

I've installed CFW! How do I back up my game cartridges and transfer their save files?
Boot into Hourglass9 and dump the game cart into a .cia file, then use FBI to install that .cia file. It will appear on the Home Menu.
To transfer saves, use JKSM.

I have CFW. Can I update?
Yes. If you want to be extra sure, check the 3DS Hacking subreddit.

I have CFW. But I used my 2gb SD card from 2004. I have a new, cool SD card that I want to use. How do I do this?
Make sure the new card is FAT32, then just copy the files over. It's that easy.

I want to emulate games!
someone help
If you want to play GBA or SNES games, use the injector. Uh I really don't know anything else about emulation someone help me

I want to play DS games!
There's an experimental loader that runs DS games from the SD card, but it's very buggy and has compatibility issues with just about every game right now. In the meanwhile, the best option for playing DS games is using a DS flashcart.

I have a N3DS and I enabled the faster clock speed. Does my battery drain faster, even on games that don't utilize the faster clock speed?
Yes.

jIpWRHnl.jpg

Sounds like you forgot to uninstall Menuhax.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man, I didn't realize CFW was now open on any 3DS firmware!

I gotta get on this NOW. How many hours did it take everyone? I already have Homebrew Launcher from VVVVV hax.

womp

Man, I didn't realize CFW was now open on any 3DS firmware!

I gotta get on this NOW. How many hours did it take everyone? I already have Homebrew Launcher from VVVVV hax.

About an hour to an hour and a half. Most of the time is consumed from reading and writing the NAND.

Mike Golf

Doing a search didn't show any mention of it but if it's been talked about already I apologize; is there any way with CFW to system transfer from a N3DS to an OG3DS? After buying a regular sized N3DS and doing the transfer from my launch OG I found that I disliked the screen's 3D performance either with head tracking or without. I know that officially you can't transfer back to an OG model from a New one but was wondering if it was possible via CFW or any other means.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
About an hour to an hour and a half. Most of the time is consumed from reading and writing the NAND.

Alright, I just downloaded all the files and torrents/files.

Trying to decide if I want to give this a try tonight or tomorrow. Shouldn't be too bad now that I have all the stuff I need, right?

... Once I do this, hypothetically, I shouldn't need to do anything else ever again, right?

My main goal is to dump my carts, get Retroarch (I didn't read that in the guide. How am I supposed to get my emulators installed after I get CFW? Is there a way to launch from home menu?) probably do that DQVIII music hack... and that's it.

I remember back in the PSP-hacking scene I was constantly battling with redoing and downloading new exploits to keep updated. I'm really hoping that this is a one and done thing, right? Future updates from Nintendo won't matter... I'll still be able to eShop just fine?

I didn't read that on the guide. I don't have that installed, do I?

And I still haven't been able to figure out this web browser issue. Apparently there's no way I can go back now either, right?

If you're getting coloured boxes on boot with the SD card in but not without I'm about 97% sure you've got Menuhax installed.

sniffy

Neo Member
So I'm following 3ds.guide on an O3DS with 11.2.0-35E. I'm up to the part where you run fasthax from the homebrew menu, but every time I do this I get a black top screen and a red bottom screen. Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Re-checked everything multiple times. The files are where they should be
2. I've put a MH3U cart in the 3DS, as I've read this is supposed to "fix" this problem
3. I've tried fasthax v1.0.1 (latest), RC1, and Beta 4 - none of these work, the same thing happens each time

Any suggestions?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Question: Trying to free up memory card space on my SD. There is a NANDmin.bin file that's 1.21GB in the 'files9' folder.

Is that a backup file? Do I still need that after installing cfw, or is that a critical file needed during boot up? I'm assuming it is, but just want to check.

EDIT: One more question. My daughter has a 3DS. I haven't hacked hers yet, but is it possible once it's on CFW, I can make a dump of one of my eShop games into a .cia file and then install it on her system?

bonkeng

Question: Trying to free up memory card space on my SD. There is a NANDmin.bin file that's 1.21GB in the 'files9' folder.

Is that a backup file? Do I still need that after installing cfw, or is that a critical file needed during boot up? I'm assuming it is, but just want to check.

EDIT: One more question. My daughter has a 3DS. I haven't hacked hers yet, but is it possible once it's on CFW, I can make a dump of one of my eShop games into a .cia file and then install it on her system?

Yep, NANDmin.bin is your system backup.

It's not needed during boot or any operation. You can copy it to your pc and delete from your SD card.

Following the steps and am stuck at the part where I have to place the 700mb 2.1.0 transfer image on my sd card because of a lack of space.

How do I delete pokemon while keeping my saves?

edit: can I put my sd card back in my 3ds, reboot it , delete pokemon and launch decrypt9 again?

Following the steps and am stuck at the part where I have to place the 700mb 2.1.0 transfer image on my sd card because of a lack of space.

How do I delete pokemon while keeping my saves?

edit: can I put my sd card back in my 3ds, reboot it , delete pokemon and launch decrypt9 again?

You need to run JKSM to dump your saves before deleting. Don't just delete pokemon from the SD directly, you'll probably break the ability for that user folder to function, use the 3DS uninstall function.

I'm at the part where my N3DS XL is on 2.1.0 and am trying to access 'http://2xrsa.3ds.guide' through the web browser on the system. The page isn't loading 'The page could not be found'. Doesn't seem like any website is loading...It has internet connectivity though.

edit: just needed to delete / re-add internet setting to the 3ds

Quick question;

I followed the 3DS.Guide thingy and have CFW set up with no issues.

My only question is how do I dump an eshop title to make edits to it? Like I want to do the switch music stuff on Dragon Quest VIII but it's the eshop version. The only stuff I could find was as if it was a cart version. I read online about using Decrypt9, which I was able to access at some point in the 3DS guide process, but now can't seem to access anymore. Sorry if this has been asked. I just couldn't see it in this thread.

itschris

Quick question;

I followed the 3DS.Guide thingy and have CFW set up with no issues.

My only question is how do I dump an eshop title to make edits to it? Like I want to do the switch music stuff on Dragon Quest VIII but it's the eshop version. The only stuff I could find was as if it was a cart version. I read online about using Decrypt9, which I was able to access at some point in the 3DS guide process, but now can't seem to access anymore. Sorry if this has been asked. I just couldn't see it in this thread.

I can help with getting Decrypt9 working, at least. Just like when you installed Hourglass9 during the latter part of 3ds.guide, you download the Decrypt9.zip, and put the Decrypt9WIP.bin file from inside the .zip in /luma/payloads/ on your SD card. Then, rename it to <button>_Decrypt9WIP.bin, where <button> is the button you want to hold when booting up your 3DS to launch Decrypt9 (for example, x_Decrypt9WIP.bin). More info here:

https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Other-features-and-notes

I can help with getting Decrypt9 working, at least. Just like when you installed Hourglass9 during the latter part of 3ds.guide, you download the Decrypt9.zip, and put the Decrypt9WIP.bin file from inside the .zip in /luma/payloads/ on your SD card. Then, rename it to <button>_Decrypt9WIP.bin, where <button> is the button you want to hold when booting up your 3DS to launch Decrypt9 (for example, x_Decrypt9WIP.bin). More info here:

You can run the .3ds version from the homebrew launcher. Don't know if there are any downsides to that compared to loading it at boot.

rucury

Banned
I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me. Recently installed CFW my New 3DS XL using the famous online guide with Luma3DS and read somewhere in that same guide that closing the system (i.e. sleep mode) can sometimes cause a brick. Is that true? Or does it only apply for the installing process?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me. Recently installed CFW my New 3DS XL using the famous online guide with Luma3DS and read somewhere in that same guide that closing the system (i.e. sleep mode) can sometimes cause a brick. Is that true? Or does it only apply for the installing process?

That's only for that section of the installing process. It's safe to close your lid, I've done it a dozen times now since I installed CFW last night.

Awesome! Thank's for this. I'll give this a try after work.

deim0s

Its only during the install process, specificly when you've downgraded to 2.1.0 - closing the lid WILL brick your device.

Aha! So that's why my system's battery has been dying so quickly.
Is it just the DSTWO that does this? I have an R4i Gold on it's way.

Any DS Flashcart with an onboard CPU will (supporting savestates / having a GBA emulator/ real time cheat finding are pretty good indicators)

Sorry for asking such a noob-question, but on 3DS.Guide it says "Safely update to the latest system version without fear of losing access to homebrew.".

Does that mean I can update to future 3DS-Updates without having problems like:
* loosing homebrew
* not accessing eShop anymore
* lock myself out of future updates (because of bricks)?

And do I still have to have several "Dashboards" installed? I mean where you installed all the homebrew stuff to not interfere with the "normal Dashboard" etc. Thats the part that confused me a lot!?

I just want to backup savegames, inject NES/SNES/etc. and maybe start some homebrew tools.

Hasney

Sorry for asking such a noob-question, but on 3DS.Guide it says "Safely update to the latest system version without fear of losing access to homebrew.".

Does that mean I can update to future 3DS-Updates without having problems like:
* loosing homebrew
* not accessing eShop anymore
* lock myself out of future updates (because of bricks)?

And do I still have to have several "Dashboards" installed? I mean where you installed all the homebrew stuff to not interfere with the "normal Dashboard" etc. Thats the part that confused me a lot!?

I just want to backup savegames, inject NES/SNES/etc. and maybe start some homebrew tools.

As long as you're in your EmuNAND, yes.

When my 3DS wants to update, I do google the version number real quick just in case, but they've all worked.

I used a 4GB card to do the A9LH install.
I now want to go back to using my main 64GB SD card.

What should I do with the Nintendo 3DS folder on each card?

Anything else I should consider?

Opa-Pa

I used a 4GB card to do the A9LH install.
I now want to go back to using my main 64GB SD card.

What should I do with the Nintendo 3DS folder on each card?

Anything else I should consider?

You just need to copy and paste everything on the root of your 4gb SD card to the other's, that's pretty much it.

The Nintendo 3DS folders contain downloaded content, your saved theme layouts, among other things.

OK thanks, sorted. In the end I did not keep the Nintendo 3DS folder from the temporary 4GB card I used for A9LH.

one more query:

i have one icon on my 3DS that is black, with no information,
it's not listed in data management for either 3DS or DSiWare
do you have any idea what this could be? how would i go about finding out?

cdO31Vyl.jpg

Arthos

Well, it seems no one knows about the issue I've been experiencing with the browser crashing! I've asked around on the hack's Discord channel and everything and everybody is just straight up confused about what could be causing it to happen.

Would anyone here happen to know how to hardmod? I kind of just want to have my 3DS working again at this point. :(

pgharavi

Banned
Well, it seems no one knows about the issue I've been experiencing with the browser crashing! I've asked around on the hack's Discord channel and everything and everybody is just straight up confused about what could be causing it to happen.

Would anyone here happen to know how to hardmod? I kind of just want to have my 3DS working again at this point. :(

I had major problems with the browser part (the first time 11.2.0.35 was doable, prior to Pialect being updated) until one particular thing fixed it but reading your posts above you're saying you can't even type in the URL now?

Arthos

I had major problems with the browser part (the first time 11.2.0.35 was doable, prior to Pialect being updated) until one particular thing fixed it but reading your posts above you're saying you can't even type in the URL now?

Correct! The browser just freezes upon opening. I can't even open the settings let alone type anything because of the freeze. It starts up like this:

sQuWtQ4l.jpg

Goes to this:

LvK8hdZl.jpg

And freezes, even if I try to quickly press anything.

Top Bottom