• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

The problem is the idea that something getting cancelled is directly related to however those votes work (and again, we know practically nothing about them). Those surveys can match up with sales potential sometimes, but just as often don't. If they did, One Piece would be the first series in the magazine 100% of the time.

To-Love-Ru ran in the back of the magazine for several years straight and not only never got cancelled, its still running in another imprint. It only ended because the author's wife sued him for basing one of the characters off of herself.
Wait what?

Numb

So, something like Keijo?

Read Keijo.

I wouldn't admit to reading Keijo in public
Not that i do
When you said sex i thought you were talking about actual sex and not just ecchi
I just exit on those. But sometimes they go through like with A World That I Rule
My burning hatred for the MC and it being just 40 chaps pushed me forward
You can't understand till you see
Too much sex in it aswell

Manga Sales Feb 13th - 19th

12. *39,178 *,*39,178 Enen no Shouboutai Vol.7
Can someone tell me how Fire Force is doing overall? Getting 12 place seems like the manga is selling really good (I think) but I don't see anyone talking about it and there is almost no art of it on the internet (I tried to find a wallpaper of it and failed). I know that Fire Force isn't as good as Soul Eater but I still like it a lot, I expecially like the gimmick that all the powers are fire based since I have always preferred having just one power and mastering it instead of having multiple and being ok with them. That was the main reason I bought inFamous 1 since the main character only had electric powers, but then on the second game he could use others :(.

Hopefully it gains more popularity if it gets an Anime adaptation in the future so I can talk about it with more people. I also wish there was a resurgence of Soul Eater a la Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, I just want a faithful adaptation of the Yaga Babas Castle arc and more animated Kilik... but I know that's not going to happen.

Can someone tell me how Fire Force is doing overall? Getting 12 place seems like the manga is selling really good (I think) but I don't see anyone talking about it and there is almost no art of it on the internet (I tried to find a wallpaper of it and failed). I know that Fire Force isn't as good as Soul Eater but I still like it a lot, I expecially like the gimmick that all the powers are fire based since I have always preferred having just one power and mastering it instead of having multiple and being ok with them. That was the main reason I bought inFamous 1 since the main character only had electric powers, but then on the second game he could use others :(.

Hopefully it gains more popularity if it gets an Anime adaptation in the future so I can talk about it with more people. I also wish there was a resurgence of Soul Eater a la Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, I just want a faithful adaptation of the Yaga Babas Castle arc and more animated Kilik... but I know that's not going to happen.

Its doing OK. I think a large reason Soul Eater got fairly popular was because the staff for the anime was ridiculously good.

Its doing OK. I think a large reason Soul Eater got fairly popular was because the staff for the anime was ridiculously good.

Yep, and I'm not sane enough to try to delve into past Oricon Youtaijou tables to find SE's sales (nor is there any good database for it) and compare. On that note...

Feb 20th - 26th manga sales Japan

*1. 174,645 *,174,645 Kimi ni Todoke Vol.28
*2. 146,853 *,293,621 Terra Formars Vol.20
*3. 125,514 *,254,995 Diamond no Ace Act II Vol.6
*4. 103,078 *,418,947 Dungeon Meshi Vol.4
*5. 101,076 2,330,798 One Piece Vol.84
*6. *91,738 *,181,655 Major 2nd Vol.8
*7. *90,304 *,*90,304 Akame ga Kill! Vol.15
*8. *88,974 *,*88,974 Kakegurui Vol.6
*9. *76,202 *,*78,296 Angel Heart 2nd Season Vol.15
10. *68,892 *,132,971 Noragami Vol.18

11. *60,420 *,*61,248 Namaikizakari. Vol.9
12. *56,005 *,*56,005 Kakegurui Twin Vol.3
13. *49,939 *,*49,939 Tsubasa to Hotaru Vol.9
14. *45,767 *,*46,527 Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii Vol.15
15. *44,527 *,*82,511 Kamisama no Iutoori Ni Vol.21
16. *43,644 *,*43,644 Coffee & Vanilla Vol.5
17. *42,081 *,*42,398 Shitsuji-sama no Okiniiri Encore! Vol.1
18. *41,495 *,*41,495 5-ji kara 9-ji made Vol.13
19. *39,156 *,*78,334 Enen no Shouboutai Vol.7
20. *33,606 *,*73,402 Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu Vol.5

21. *33,112 *,*33,112 Dame na Watashi ni Koi shite Kudasai Vol.1
22. *32,479 *,*32,479 Akame ga Kill! Zero Vol.6
23. *30,845 *,420,101 Boku no Hero Academia Vol.12
24. *30,192 *,*30,192 Suteki na Kareshi Vol.3
25. *28,974 *,*55,826 Real Account Vol.13
26. *28,638 *,*28,638 ReLIFE Vol.7
27. *28,485 *,151,840 Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san Vol.5
28. *27,610 *,*52,841 Dear Boys: Over Time Vol.3
29. *25,476 *,*54,062 Be Blues! Ao ni Nare Vol.26
30. *24,829 *,*49,654 Biorg Trinity Vol.11

31. *24,249 *,*72,663 Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue. Vol.3
32. *24,158 *,*47,081 Domestic na Kanojo Vol.12
33. *23,850 *,*23,850 Kantai Collection: Itsuka Shizuka na Umi de Vol.3
34. *22,895 *,*22,895 Kenja no Mago Vol.2
35. *22,778 *,*22,778 Hyakka Mangekyou Vol.1
36. *22,127 *,*45,792 Tsurezure Children Vol.7
37. *20,872 *,*44,132 Usogui Vol.45
38. *20,290 *,*20,290 Sachi-iro no One Room Vol.1
39. *19,997 *,*19,997 Uirabu.: Uiuishii Koi no Ohanashi Vol.7
40. *18,686 *,*18,686 Girls und Panzer: Ribbon no Musha Vol.6

41. *18,658 *,*38,605 Hayate no Gotoku! Vol.50
42. *18,630 *,*18,630 Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki Vol.3
43. *17,352 *,*37,228 Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo Vol.27
44. *17,252 *,*17,252 Goblin Slayer Vol.2
45. *17,180 *,143,084 Yowamushi Pedal Vol.49
46. *16,671 *,*81,901 Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru Vol.16
47. *16,284 *,195,913 Boku dake ga Inai Machi Vol.9
48. *16,117 *,*99,787 Emiya-san Chi no Kyou no Gohan Vol.1
49. *15,725 *,*15,725 All Out!! Vol.11
50. *15,601 *,*15,601 Osomatsu-san Vol.3

I mean, the mangaka has a good track record. I like Happiness a tremendous amount. Just...y'know...I'm not sure what the manga's about other than being REALLY uncomfortable watching the mother interact with the son.

Hoshino, Me o Tsubutte. 10

Nice job teacher.

One of your students gets pushed into a window and starts bleeding and she stands above it like "Let's see how my sister and this dude play this one out"

This manga is like SNAFU without any of the incredibly well done deft handling of teenage emotions and social circumstances.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi 26

I got a surprising amount of satisfaction at the Princess getting fucked with.

Danberu nan kiro moteru? 16

The continued de-abifying of abs-girl's abs is absolutely abhorrent.

Land 11

The stuff with the ruler and the deer-head guy was surprisingly intriguing but I'm still kinda not feeling the fact this is basically The Village.

wamberz1

it's probably going to be incestuous or something

As he remembers....other things
pls no

ii8uvy2uu4ckrk4bvr.gif

mdubs

Banned
House of the Sun Vol. 1

41ZGPHnzUjL._SY346_.jpg

I enjoyed this volume quite a bit. It succeeds where other series fail in terms of actually giving context to the feelings of the characters via the use of flashbacks to convey their feelings, and I thought this worked really well. The pacing is good as well, and I liked the fact that even though Mao is a brat, we get a really good sense of why she acts the way that she does as a consequence of her childhood.

kasane

iv been re reading one piece and i feel like Oda is giving everyone eternal blue balls by not showing how strong shanks really is, for all we know shanks could be the final boss rofl

Burbeting

Banned
People talking about the rankings:

My theory is that the rankings matter more at the start of a series life cycle. If series ranks badly from the start, jump might have an incentive to cancel it fast.

But for long lasting series, rankings don't matter as much. Volume sales seem to be much more important at that point, since those sales are what matter the most for Shuheisha. That explains stuff like Bleach persisting for so long.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch. 160

Yo, what a fucking twist.

A Trail of Blood ch. 1

[Worried laughter.]

I'll read this because Oshimo's art is mesmerizing, but uh.

Thanks for the info, the anime was great and hopefully Fire Force gets the same treatment.

Yep, and I'm not sane enough to try to delve into past Oricon Youtaijou tables to find SE's sales (nor is there any good database for it) and compare. On that note...

Feb 20th - 26th manga sales Japan

19. *39,156 *,*78,334 Enen no Shouboutai Vol.7
It still top 20 so at least it's still selling well, I even just got my volume 2 delivered! I wish that Amazon would've sent it in a box so it could've arrived on a better condition.

I finally found a wallpaper by searching for the scanlation name of Fire Brigade of Flames, looking for it with the japanese romanized name or the official english name doesn't give much results as of now.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 160

Things are starting to get intense. Though I don't think Aizawa realizes a huge flaw in her plan in what everyone else will think of what she's trying to do. Hopefully Aizawa will be able to defeat Aizawa.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 160
Man I'm going to miss this manga when we finally catch up to it's ending soon. On that note, does anyone know if Seven Sea has ever dropped or stopped a manga they had a licenses to? I just fear when I start buying the volumes that they will just drop the series for whatever reason.

Miss Kiryu Doesn't Know What Love Is. 1

Hrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm...

This has potential. I read the synopsis before reading this so I knew the fake out was coming but props for committing to it for 8 pages. I like the characters already, especially the lead, and the idea is pretty fun.

I am...worried about a couple things. First, I was worried she'd be a 32 year old virgin and so would both her 32 year old friends. That was UNTIL she ranted at her mangaka about societal expectations for girls and people who both have no interest in romance or sex (basically talking about asexual people) which was pretty good considering her want of writing manga with meaning and dealing with social themes and whatnot. So that was a good turn-around. But then, considering it's about a love triangle at the end where both dudes like her I have a real sinking feeling this will turn into "Ha ha ha ha, turns out she just needed a good fuck!" thing where at the end she'll have awakened to romance and vomit. They're already hinting at just not having found the right person, BUT I have faith to try this because of how it handled her friend being bisexual; casually stating it and saying she dated two men and one woman and not immediately making a joke of it but just having it be who she is. They start getting into societal pressure and constraints and mention sexual minorities and such which is impressive as I can think of like...5 manga that actually touch on or handle those topics well or with respect.

Of course it could betray expectations and she remains uninterested or starts a poly relationship but this is Japan so HA HA HA FUCK ME

mdubs

Banned
Jitsu wa Watashi wa 160
Man I'm going to miss this manga when we finally catch up to it's ending soon. On that note, does anyone know if Seven Sea has ever dropped or stopped a manga they had a licenses to? I just fear when I start buying the volumes that they will just drop the series for whatever reason.
They haven't, and I think this series is selling perfectly fine iirc so I'd say you're in the clear here

Revo

Chikyuu no Houkago 31

Well time for stuff to get serious.
Not expecting much after I've been warned though.

Rainy

Banned
Nenene 1-3

That's a pretty big age gap...but this story is kinda cute.

Looks like it's getting a full serialization too.

Chikyuu no Houkago 31

Well time for stuff to get serious.
Not expecting much after I've been warned though.

Yeah same. I'm keeping my expectations in check.

Though I did cheat and look at the raws. I didn't really read much though, but its kinda eh.

Conan-san

What I'm saying is that for all you know, the system presented in Bakuman, a fictional work, could be fake and cooked up by Ohba, who certainly can do such a thing given his/her pedigree.

mdubs insists that a system outlined in fiction is real. I'm suggesting there is a possibility that it is fake or possibly altered, and that it can also change behind the scenes in an editorial situation that is not open to us because of a language barrier, time, and naturally the closed secrecy of said department.

But apparently I'm the one who is not presenting a good case here.
You can call it fake all you want. If it's not how it's 'working' at Shueshia then they're doing one HELL of a job making it look like it is.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch514

You're going nowhere~

Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch160

Holy shit.

Hitoribocchi no OO Seikatsu ch40

Holding a conversation can be tough for someone as shy as her. Good that she had understanding friends~

upandaway

One Piece

Oh wow things got really complicated really quickly, this is great. So many players in the tea party. I wonder what saving the restaurant will involve.

I'm all in for joining with Bege, sounds like a plan. Mostly because I don't think he can take on Luffy (much less Big Mom), but it will be really interesting if Big Mom DOES go down this arc because of all this.

House of the Sun Vol. 1

41ZGPHnzUjL._SY346_.jpg

I enjoyed this volume quite a bit. It succeeds where other series fail in terms of actually giving context to the feelings of the characters via the use of flashbacks to convey their feelings, and I thought this worked really well. The pacing is good as well, and I liked the fact that even though Mao is a brat, we get a really good sense of why she acts the way that she does as a consequence of her childhood.
Liked this a lot, good stuff. Art is especially good.

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch857

About time Capone got more characterization. His motives and methods do give an additional aspect to this mess that the wedding is about to become. While I doubt that they're actually going to manage to take Big Mom out, it's a way to succeed at crashing the party.

bobohoro

iv been re reading one piece and i feel like Oda is giving everyone eternal blue balls by not showing how strong shanks really is, for all we know shanks could be the final boss rofl

I think that the few instances where Shanks shows up halfway serious and pretty much settles everything with his presence alone are enough to show just how ridiculous he really is. I also get the feeling that we will not see Shanks fight for real in the manga, he takes a backseat as one of the old ones and watches over Luffy.
Although a battle against Blackbeard is kinda obvious, but neither can I see him lose and die nor win and take out the big bad himself.

But who knows with what he'll hit us. The current arc is already turning to something I really didn't expect him to do.

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 160

Well fuck.

Top Bottom