• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Kyuur

One Piece

Awesome. I hope they carry on Nami's resentment to Sanji as a gag. Has Zoro ever officially been called Vice-Captain? If not, that will definitely be Jinbei's "title". That or the SH's official Strategist.

Dr. Stone

Incredible start and concept. It kind of reminds me of the beginning of Jojo Pt. 1 in some ways. Will have to see what happens with the next couple chapters before a judgement call can be made but I don't see this getting an early cancellation.

Dr. Stone 1

Why were most of them naked though?

Seems like the stone effect actually just hit the human body itself. You can see that animals and structures weren't affected, so the clothes deteriorated over thousands of years.

Kaguya 55

Ohboy, a Kaguya and Ishigami chapter. Not nearly much as Prez and Fujiwara, but these two have a fun dynamic as well. I do wonder about Ishigami backstory, but seems like that's for another chapter.

lol Hinata.

https://twitter.com/haikyu_com/status/837276709258866689
C56at-ZVMAAhNG5.jpg:small

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma

Joichirou with that smug look knowing his son inherited his lady-killing swag.

Jesus what caused Soma drops in the rankings?

Basically nothing.

It was averaging fourth or fifth in the most recent TOCs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Soma 205

"The power to rule as a true queen, I will take it with my own hands"

"If I'm your shrine then you must worship me properly"

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

*furiously writing doujin....something something God Tongue*

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Dr. Stone ch. 1

Out of all the new stuff in WSJ, this is the only thing I planned on checking out (though I'll give Hungry Marie a look). And, well, I'm not exactly impressed, but I am interested in where it could go, so I'll give it time to cook.

One Piece ch. 857

I've never really given Capone much thought as a character, but him suddenly seeming kinda hype was welcome. And although surprising, an alliance makes sense.

Dr. Stone 1

I like the unbridled manliness coming from the black-haired protagonist. Nothing particularly exciting about the premise though, so I guess the hook is going to be introduced next chapter?

Citrus

I know this is drama filled for the sake of drama....and the love interest is annoyingly cold...but...

y5VPHPz.jpg

fam I couldnt stop reading this
mjcry1.png

and its getting an anime too? whew

hungry marie 2

Well, didn't expect that ending. I can see this change happening later at awkward times.

shokugeki no soma 205

Well Erina sure is determined to win.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch515

What a shame.

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro ch19

Poor Andou. Little did he know that Manama already called dibs on Chio.

Akagi ch293

Feels like it's going for a cop out ending.

Shishunki Bitter Change ch45

Huh, I'd have thought she'd go for Kazuma.

Zweizer

Banned
Yuri Mekuru Oshigoto ch8

I wonder what was that thief's motive.

Shokugeki no Soma ch205

Still no mention of Soma's mom? Maybe Soma was adopted?

Fbh

Dr Stone 1

Fun first chapter with an interesting setup and pretty good art.
Both keeping their minds sane for thousands of years and the reasons given to explain it are pretty silly , but the author is clearly going for some over the top personalities and logic (Jojo style) which is fine by me.
Will be interesting to see where it goes from here, though I'd be surprised if it doesn't turn into a battle manga (which is also fine by me)

cntr

Banned
Dr. Stone:
"I've seen many love confessions get interrupted, but the whole world doing it's best to cockblock the MC for over 3000 years is something new."

Also, apparently Boichi's the first non-Japanese guy to feature in a Jump series?

Zweizer

Banned
Keijo ch131

Thankfully it was all a misunderstanding, though they certainly weren't helping matters.

Dungeon Meshi ch28.5

Nature is wonderful. Somehow I'm not surprised that there are people even more passionate than Laius concerning this stuff out there, lol.

yQd7TaJ.jpg

Dirty dirty, Chilchack.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni ch26

Typical of colds.

Angry Grimace

I mean, Rindou amuses me, but she's not really a fully-fleshed out character.

Apparently he just finished a 7 volume series he started in 2015 lol

Whoops.

Started digging hard into the josei stuff lately. I find it way more palatable than shoujo and generally (generally) the art is better too and they remember that scenes have backgrounds more often than not. The art has always been my biggest hurdle to getting into them. I got recommended Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai after starting Miss Kiryu Doesn't Know What Love Is and it's pretty funny so far. She sure doesn't look 29 tho (said the 32 year old dude who looks 15).

kasane

Lol people with plebian waifu taste in shokugeki. Alice mum is the best female character in the series aside from alice and ryoko

Angry Grimace

Lol people with plebian waifu taste in shokugeki. Alice mum is the best female character in the series aside from alice and ryoko

It's Erina > Rindou > Other characters

upandaway

Hakumei & Mikochi 24

I'm so jealous at the things they can do on a whim in a day's work, that looked really comfy. Maybe I should build my own open air bamboo bath, I'll put it uh, on the roof. Someone's roof.

Dungeon Meshi 10

No, sorry. Nope. No way. I'm not about this at all. There is no freakiSHE ATE THEM I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS

x75Vvgr.jpg

OMG YOU TRAITOR

Hatsukoi Body 1

lol

It's an interesting premise. The main character is 4th-year elementary student Kotobuki Kotone. She has a deep appreciation for the male physique. That is to say she really loves muscles. So much so that she has begun sneaking out of class to watch a local judo club in a nearby high school train. It is soon revealed that Kotone is also there to watch her neighbor Jouji who is a member of this club. She continues to take peeks at his visible chest while he talks to her. But then she notices something different his pectoralis major. That's his breasts.

Back at her home, Kotone has turned on the television and is watching a gorilla, admiring its powerful muscles. However, she proudly announces that Jouji's are still the best. It is then revealed that Kotone is a budding stalker and has been sneaking into the high school and taking pictures of Jouji while he was been changing clothes and training. Her brother confronts Kotone about her habit of skipping classes to watch the judo club and informs her that Jouji was thinking about quitting judo.

Kotone runs to her room and talks to Jouji through her window, which happens to be just across from his own room. Uh huh. Jouji was stuck on a losing-streak which was crushing his self-esteem. Kotone, however, takes notice of how he had just stepped out of the shower with his hot muscular body. Fortunately she catches herself and tells Jouji not to quit the judo club because of muscles. Jouji tells her off by announcing that he is not her doll.

We are then presented with a flashback of how the first met. Kotone was a loner who played with dolls by herself until Jouji moved next door and became her first friend. Standard shoujo stuff. And then there's more of her memories. Jouji eating a popsicle. Jouji's practicing in the judo club. And Jouji taking a shower... Kotone's mother notices that she had been smiling a lot more recently. Kotone announces that she had found someone she liked.

Back in the present, an anxious Jouji is about to start a bout with a rival team. But then Kotone pops out of the crowd and tells him to have more confidence in himself. She also tells him that she's always been watching him, complete with images of him changing clothes, working out, showering, and sleeping. But I don't really think he caught that.

So he wins and runs over to hug Kotone. Her face plants against his well-toned and sweat-covered pecs, she notices that it smells really good and wants to drink it up. So she grabs one of them. Jouji chides her immediately and the chapter ends with Kotone announcing that she loves Jouji.

Hatsukoi Body 2

This chapter starts off with a view of a sleeping Jouji on his bed. His shirt was risen up enough that we can see his abdominal muscles. Innocent enough. Until you notice the onomatopoeia indicating that someone is taking pictures. We are then presented with a shadowy outline with what appears to be pigtails. Jouji rolls over in his bed and startles the stranger who then drops something as they leave his room.

It is now morning and Kotone is preparing for school. Of course, she announces to the audience that she is in love with her neighbor as she watches him take off his shirt. He then tosses Kotone her gorilla keychain, pondering for a moment about how one of her belongings slipped into his room. Okay.

We are then introduced to a new character, Kitaooji Hikaru. He is from a rich family with good looks. Typical prince archetype. However it is revealed that he has a crush on Kotone because she was the only girl who was not immediately in love with with. As he arrives at school, he sees her waving at him. Just kidding, Kotone was waving at Jouji across the street. This naturally angers Hikaru and he is left questioning himself in class. It is then that he notices that something fell out of Kotone's pocket.

The scene cuts to a view of the high school judo club where the members are in the middle of changing out of their uniforms. Kotone is shown to had run over, upset that the club members might have already been done changing. She prepares to sneak inside through a hole in the fence until confronted by Hikaru and two of his stooges. He chides her and reveals that he has her gorilla. The trio then begin tormenting her until the judo club shows up and Jouji grabs Hikaru.

Seeing Kotone smile after Jouji showed up, Hikaru frees himself and runs back to his friends. Using the powers of rich brat, he feigns an injury and threatens to shut down the judo club. Kotone tries to talk him down. However, her constant talking about Jouji upsets him. So he and his cronies starts calling the judo club gorillas. And chanting. Until Kotone smacks Hikaru in the mouth. Holy cow. That kid flew far. And then she lifts him up by the collar and tells him to never call Jouji a gorilla again. Thankfully the judo club pull her off of him and Kotone calms herself down by planting her face on Jouji's chest.

Hikaru continues threatening everyone with his wealth and privilege. Kotone yells back that she doesn't care about any of that and that the most important thing to her is muscles. She then hands him her gorilla keychain and tells him that one day he'll understand. As she leaves she calls Hikaru by his name. He grips tightly onto the gorilla and tries to toss it away but seeing Kotone's smiling face stops him. Better start lifting those weights.

It is revealed at the end that a stranger had been watching from above with keen interest.

Angry Grimace

Random musing:

Shokugeki no Soma revolves around a ridiculous concept to begin with, but nobody seems to have noticed how ridiculous it is that if the good guys lose this high school iron chef dispute, Erina and Joichirou, neither of whom will be Totsuki students, are apparently going to be forced into a lifetime of involuntary servitude.

Random musing:

Shokugeki no Soma revolves around a ridiculous concept to begin with, but nobody seems to have noticed how ridiculous it is that if the good guys lose this high school iron chef dispute, Erina and Joichirou, neither of whom will be Totsuki students, are apparently going to be forced into a lifetime of involuntary servitude.

BUT HONOUR! or something like that...

Ascheroth

Random musing:

Eh, that one's pretty obvious.
If they break their deal after a cook-off, they will forever stain their Chef's Heart and Soul, and it will become a roadblock on the Road of Cooking, forever preventing them to reach the pinnacle.
It's serious business!

Top Bottom