• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

I believe you can still access PSN via Adrenaline though, yeah? Like whatever is blocking the Vita from accessing it isn't blocking the PSP/Adrenaline side of things.

So from there, one should be able to download PSP/PS1 titles.

The PSP eshop has been discontinued for years I believe, you need to use the MediaGo app. Which is horrible. Or the PS3 but maybe the last 2 years of PS releases can't be installed to a PSP/V from a PS3 and you have to use mediago for those.

MUnited83

For you.
So I've started using my Vita again. I'm trying to use molecularshell to FTP files into it, but I can't get it to connect. I've used Filezilla and WinSCP but no dice. Any ideas?

RalchAC

The PSP eshop has been discontinued for years I believe, you need to use the MediaGo app. Which is horrible. Or the PS3 but maybe the last 2 years of PS releases can't be installed to a PSP/V from a PS3 and you have to use mediago for those.

When I entered PSN I think I couldn't buy new stuff but I could access my download list.

So I've started using my Vita again. I'm trying to use molecularshell to FTP files into it, but I can't get it to connect. I've used Filezilla and WinSCP but no dice. Any ideas?

Have you updated it? You don't have to FTP files anymore. You can directly connect using the USB.

MUnited83

For you.
Update to the newest version of VitaShell then you have the option that hitting select turns on USB rather than FTP. From there, it's just drag and drop!

Neat. I'm trying to put Vitashell on my Vita. I've used the .mp4 trick to copy it over QMCA. However, I can't find it anywher using molecularshell :/

edit: nevermind, just needed to reboot after using QMCA to see everything.

Does anyone know of a site where I check out mods and cheats for existing games?

PSP store being discontinued is a relatively recent development. They also discontinued MediaGo access for PSP games recently. However store app on a real PSP (except budget eu one) works for downloading things you bought on Web frontend. I used it in fact last weekend on my newly bought used PSP.

Do you know any PSP games that can't be transferred with PS3? This is news to me.

PSP store being discontinued is a relatively recent development. They also discontinued MediaGo access for PSP games recently. However store app on a real PSP (except budget eu one) works for downloading things you bought on Web frontend. I used it in fact last weekend on my newly bought used PSP.

Do you know any PSP games that can't be transferred with PS3? This is news to me.

The Euro Suikoden II release can't last I looked. I actually sent them a tweet about it at the time and discovered Sony had made MediaGo even worse at the time. They might have fixed it though (hopefully).

The Euro Suikoden II release can't last I looked. I actually sent them a tweet about it at the time and discovered Sony had made MediaGo even worse at the time. They might have fixed it though (hopefully).
US is the same too on Vita, from what I remember. Has to be downloaded, can't be transferred through ps3.

MUnited83

For you.
Synch your trophies first and definitely not , I don't think you do even without synching since the trophies have to be saved to the account data section for people who use game cards.
I was under the impression there is no longer access to PSN anymore and you would need to update to be able to synchronize it?

I was under the impression there is no longer access to PLAN anymore and you would need to update to be able to synchronize it?

Oh right. I forgot about that, I use a separate PSV for this. You can check yourself though, just replace the card with a different one and if it does "erase" trophies they'll come back when you switch cards back then you can make appropriate decisions. You can only lose stuff permanently by changing accounts.

7drHiqr.gif

PS TV USB SUPPORT IS HERE
TheFloW has just released VitaShell 1.60! This update offers the ability for PSTV owners to mount USB drives as both a separate partition, and as the memory card itself!
https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/VitaShell/releases
Changelog 1.60

• Added ability to mount uma0: and ability to use uma0: as ux0:.
  • Added ability to mount game card as usb device.
  • Added possibility to refresh the livearea.
  • Added scrolling text for long filenames.
  • Added 'Sort by' option to context menu (R trigger combo removed).
  • Added 'Electron' theme by Acemad, the winner of the VitaShell theme contest.
  • Added theme selector.
  • Improved property dialog animation.
  • Fixed text editor bugs.
  • Fixed bug where USB cable wasn't recognized.
  • Fixed bug where VitaShell left to livearea after deleting the updater.
  • Removed battery icon in status bar for PSTV.
  • File statistics are now inherited when copying.
  • I/O operations speed will now be showed in KB/s.
  • Made control smoother.

Joey Ravn

Banned
That's really, really nice for PSTV users!

... my Vita hasn't been woken up for months. I regularly remember to plug it in to charge it, at least.

xclaw

I think it's now time for me to bust open the seal on the PStv I bought months ago and try this out finally!

Any knowledge around a permanent fix or would I still need to use the website hack if it ever powers off?

I think it's now time for me to bust open the seal on the PStv I bought months ago and try this out finally!

Any knowledge around a permanent fix or would I still need to use the website hack if it ever powers off?
There's an offline thing, but you need to go online to get the newest versions of Henkaku/VitaShell.

Unfortunately, the VitaShell network updater isn't working right now, so you have to manually update VitaShell.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The bad thing about this USB functionality is that now I have room for all the PSN games I've purchased, I just can't download them anymore...

RalchAC

Awesome news about the PSTV USB support, really hope it comes to Vita too, so it can free us from those stupidly expensive memory cards.

I think they added people the chance to use Game Cards as storage, since some of those have some empty space.

A work around could be made, and something like those DS flash cards be created. A Game cartridge with an SD slot. Wonder if somebody will find it lucrative enough.

data

You can play PSP games on 3.63? so if that's all you care about, no reason to stay on 3.60 and be unable to acces the PSN store?

You can play PSP games on 3.63? so if that's all you care about, no reason to stay on 3.60 and be unable to acces the PSN store?

Yes. Ark lacks sound sound for PS1 games though and that seems unlikely to be fixed whereas it's likely to be fixed on Adrenaline.

Dark Rider

Yes. Ark lacks sound sound for PS1 games though and that seems unlikely to be fixed whereas it's likely to be fixed on Adrenaline.

to add to this so you are not confused data
you need HENKaku to install Ark then update to 3.63 but it has no sound and you should not expect it to be fixed and also you will be locked out of HENKaku since you are now on 3.63
on the other hand you can stay on 3.60 with HENKaku and wait for Adrenaline to support PS1 because that is actually planned

I hate myself for updating my Vita off of 3.60. :(
(I just really wanted to buy Axiom Verge for my trip to Europe last year, which was a pretty great game)

Hopefully in a year or so Sony will have stopped updating the Vita and people will be able to break it open for the most updated firmwares.

I have 2 3DS's that are homebrewed and it's fantastic to have my whole GBA collection on them as well as putting digital copies of my physical games on them.

The funny thing with the Vita is that there aren't the many PSP or PS1 games I really want to put on there that aren't already available are X-men Legends 2/Marvel Ultimate Alliance and the Spyro and Crash Bandicoot games that the US Psn doesn't let me download to it.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So, yeah. I'm saying goodbye to HENkaku. I would say it was nice while it lasted, but to be completely honest, I found it to be a massive disappointment. Not from a technical standpoint, of course, since it was a massive achievement by Molecule. But after the initial rush of hacking and exploring the possibilities of HENkaku, I was left with very little to do with it. I kept waiting for something in the lines of 3DS CFW, or even PSP CFW, and it never came. Adrenaline is cool, but now that ARK is available for 3.60-3.63... I kinda don't need it. As for emulators and stuff, the Wii U and 3DS are much better at them than the Vita, if you ask me.

I much rather get back access to my PSN account than keep hoping that someone will spoof 3.63.

redlemon

With the usb storage for PSTV I'll probably leave that on 3.60 in case any interesting fan-translations come along and update my Vita for my PSN games.

Lindsaymv

So, yeah. I'm saying goodbye to HENkaku. I would say it was nice while it lasted, but to be completely honest, I found it to be a massive disappointment. Not from a technical standpoint, of course, since it was a massive achievement by Molecule. But after the initial rush of hacking and exploring the possibilities of HENkaku, I was left with very little to do with it. I kept waiting for something in the lines of 3DS CFW, or even PSP CFW, and it never came. Adrenaline is cool, but now that ARK is available for 3.60-3.63... I kinda don't need it. As for emulators and stuff, the Wii U and 3DS are much better at them than the Vita, if you ask me.

I much rather get back access to my PSN account than keep hoping that someone will spoof 3.63.

Sad to see you go Joey Ravn, you've been a big part of this topic. I can't say I blame you though; after the buzz over Emulators and more recently Adrenaline died down, I find myself missing PSN and wanting some of the newer games that have come out. I'm going to keep holding out for now and hoping for a spoofer but we'll see. Henkaku is still a miracle and godspeed to all the people who've helped to open up our platform though - I'm just impatient and would love Darkest Dungeon on the go.

Ogawa-san

Now I'm curious about possible loading time improvements, memory cards being reportedly slow.

That was my line of thought when I updated both Vita and PSTV shortly after the spoof stopped working. The few things I wanted from it (account switch and overclock) were too much work, and having no PSN access sucked.

Can't say I regret it (yet), and I just check here to see what's going on lately.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I can't update my Vita. Over Wi-Fi it says that the latest system software version is installed, although it still prompts me to update whenever I try to access the PSN. If I connect it to my PC, QCMA crashes and it never updates.

Any idea what may be happening? HENkaku isn't running, by the way.

Edit: Fuck it. I'm formatting everything and installing ARK manually later on. Good riddance.

muteki

to add to this so you are not confused data
you need HENKaku to install Ark then update to 3.63 but it has no sound and you should not expect it to be fixed and also you will be locked out of HENKaku since you are now on 3.63
on the other hand you can stay on 3.60 with HENKaku and wait for Adrenaline to support PS1 because that is actually planned

Has anything changed recently on the Adrenaline/PS1 front recently? I haven't been keeping up since Adrenaline came out, at the time PS1 emulators were really unstable and performance wasn't so great.

Have those improved or should I still wait for Adrenaline to support PS1 on its own?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So do SD card adapters to USB not work? Just thumb drives? It's saying it doesn't read my SD.

Hey I posted over in the B/S/T thread that I was looking, but at this point whats the best method of getting a 3.60 or lower Vita? I really want a good handheld for playing GBA and the 3DS Homebrew route doesn't seem great with the screens being kinda iffy.

I guess there is the option for a DS Lite too but I am thinking the Vita's beautiful screen has to be the best way to go.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't realize the USB support dropped. Need to update, will probably get a 64GB flash drive to use.

Henkaku+Adrenaline does everything I want it to, which is basically to function as a PSP playable on the TV that also plays my few Vita games. Don't even need the whitelist anymore since Wipeout is getting ported to PS4 and Ys is natively supported now. (And Gravity Rush was ported a while back.)

Still have my standard Vita if I needed it for something requiring a newer firmware but that never happened. Doubt I'll get another Vita game so I may just sell it.

Hey I posted over in the B/S/T thread that I was looking, but at this point whats the best method of getting a 3.60 or lower Vita? I really want a good handheld for playing GBA and the 3DS Homebrew route doesn't seem great with the screens being kinda iffy.

I guess there is the option for a DS Lite too but I am thinking the Vita's beautiful screen has to be the best way to go.

I would think buying older models new. I would expect all NA/EU region vitas to be on 3.60 or lower if new.

Kilau

Gold Member
I can't update my Vita. Over Wi-Fi it says that the latest system software version is installed, although it still prompts me to update whenever I try to access the PSN. If I connect it to my PC, QCMA crashes and it never updates.

Any idea what may be happening? HENkaku isn't running, by the way.

Edit: Fuck it. I'm formatting everything and installing ARK manually later on. Good riddance.

Hmmm, this has me concerned. I've just been playing my backlog of JRPGs while waiting to see if something cool would come about. Now I'm worried about all my trophies when I update.

So I have Henkaku and ARK installed on my 3.60 Vita. If I upgrade to 3.63, will I still be able to use ARK and my PSP backups I have installed?

Dark Rider

Has anything changed recently on the Adrenaline/PS1 front recently? I haven't been keeping up since Adrenaline came out, at the time PS1 emulators were really unstable and performance wasn't so great.

Have those improved or should I still wait for Adrenaline to support PS1 on its own?

I didn't keep up myself but as far as I know there is a separate PS1 emulator for the time being. It is not the best but can do. Adrenaline PS1 still on the way however

I think that more will be done with the vita after the source code for HENKaku is in the developers hands.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Hmmm, this has me concerned. I've just been playing my backlog of JRPGs while waiting to see if something cool would come about. Now I'm worried about all my trophies when I update.

I entered the recovery mode (PS button + Right should button + Power button), refreshed the system and was able to update just fine without losing any games installed on my Vita. The Trophies were lost, though.

So I have Henkaku and ARK installed on my 3.60 Vita. If I upgrade to 3.63, will I still be able to use ARK and my PSP backups I have installed?

As long as you're using a standard PSP game (or Mini) as the base, ARK is kept upon updating.

L.O.R.D

with the new Digimon CS game and many games that require 3.63,i think i will update soon too.

small44

My Vita was a mp3 player before Henkaku and adrenaline.So I will keep them forever there is 0 game I'm interested in on my Vita.

Top Bottom