• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

mdubs

Banned
Beck volumes 1 - 6

I like this - the first few volumes were a little shaky on plot coherence with some jumping around in the first few chapters, and the art is a pretty rough with the facial expressions at times, but I like the story overall and it's getting more consistent now that Koyuki is clearly angled towards music.

Also, while it obviously isn't the most convincingly written romance I dig Maho and Koyuki

Madoka Magica - Ririkano (SFW doujin)
Oayc8E1.jpg
Miraculous Maitake addressing the pressing questions on every PMMM fan's mind, such as "what would happen if Homura lent Madoka a hardcore xxx yuri novel?" The (brief) Kyouko section was a surprise, since it's really rare for the author to have parts focusing on anyone other than the OTP. This was her most recent C91 work, so I think there's just a few in the middle left to translate.

Either something along the lines of Grand Blue men doing stupid men stuff or cute girls doing cute things + misunderstanding shenanigans.

Or just a general subversion of expectations like Angel Densetsu.

EDIT:Oh or something like Sket Dance. But not Gintama.

Fancolors

Either something along the lines of Grand Blue men doing stupid men stuff or cute girls doing cute things + misunderstanding shenanigans.

Prison School
Swap Swap
Hitoribbochi

we never learn 8

Well, Ogata's father sure is friendly. Looks like the studying payed off though.

Mousou Telepathy 245 - 252

Well Toda seems like he'd like a trip to the beach.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Scum's Wish ch. 47 (fin.)

This has been kinda coasting for the last ten-ish chapters, so I'm not exactly upset that it's coming to a close now before being dragged out to infinity. Wasn't quite what I wanted to see with Hanabi and Mugi in the end, but it's probably the most appropriate ending, admittedly.

Zweizer

Banned
So here's two random questions:
First off, can anyone think of any shonen battle/whatever series in which the female characters actually get legitimately roughed up similarly to the male characters? Like, it's always kind of bugged me how so, so frequently you'll see stuff like the men getting their faces bashed in and a mess, but then women seem to always, always get stuck with those sort of scuff marks and the like (and of course clothing damage), rather than anything that would actually interfere with them being eye candy. I'm sure I've read SOMETHING that has an example in all the mass of stuff I've read over the years, but it's just a weird little thing that annoys me a bit.

Secondly: is there any chance there's a decent, non-super-fanservice-y female boxing manga out there? Or actually, now that I think on it, any good female sporting manga in general? (Again with the not fanservice-oriented caveat, as that's not really what I'm looking for.) Just something that came to mind while I'm continuing to move through Ippo bit by bit, and I tangentially realized that I couldn't think of a better example than that Cross Manage thing that US Jump ran for the short time it lasted (and even then, it was focused more on the male protagonist being the team manager).

Edit: Guess I could say Yawara, but from what I remember of the anime that'd kind of be a bit of a stretch, to call it a proper female sports manga. Though it's been a while, and I still haven't gotten around to reading the manga, even though it's on my backlog...

Try Keijo for both, I'm sure you'll like it~

Kyou Kara Ore Wa!!

Bonnouji
Horimiya
Mastubation Master Kurosawa
Molester Man

Note: Despite the unfortunate naming of the last 2 they are not exactly what you expect given those names.

Working my way through everyone's recommendations, but I want to say that all three of these were excellent. (I was already reading Horimiya.)

Mediking

Trying to catch up in Prison School....

Wow. This manga arc of Meiko being confused about herself has gone from interesting character development to overexaggerted and annoying. Just wow. Dont know how anybody around him didnt tell him to stop this fiasco of an Arc.

Still a big PS fan though. Lol

Starting Gate -Horsegirl Pretty Derby- 1
A typical cute girls doing cute things manga, except the cute girls are horses. And the cute things are racing and idol concerts (judging by the upcoming game). I prefer this interpretation to centaurs, but then I also prefer dental surgery to centaurs. Naturally, an anime's been announced for it.

My Sister Found Out That I Draw Yuri Manga (SFW short)

Yeah, I hate it when that happens. And then I hate it when she makes me take baths with her as the price for her silence... wait, what?

One Punch 117

...Why is there so little Saitama in this version of the series...It grates...I largely enoy it, but combined with the release schedule I find it frustrating.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One Punch 117

...Why is there so little Saitama in this version of the series...It grates...I largely enoy it, but combined with the release schedule I find it frustrating.

Because Saitama by his very nature would not have made for a very interesting character to follow or allowed for much an interesting set of complex story arcs to develop. That's kind of an antithesis to his character and a big point of the series. With the other heroes and villains around while Saitama isn't there to off them in a page or few it allows ONE and Murata to tell a story. This also applies to the original webcomic. After Boros Saitama becomes scarcer and scarcer until its basically the S Class hero show.

She Gets Girls Everyday. 1

A variation on the 'perfect girl wants friends' theme, with the twist being that the perfect girl is an oblivious lady killer who's worshipped by her female classmates.The art and characters are fairly standard moeblob fare, making the yuri factor the primary appeal. Which isn't that different from normal really.

e: Yuuna-san 57
Yes. To one of them at least.

Psa for people who read viz jump

This weeks survey asks you to rank your top 4 of the 6 jump starts

I went with...
1. Dr. Stone
2. Hungry Marie
3. Robot x Laserbeam
4. We Never Learn

It's not that I like Robot x Laserbeam more than We Never Learn, but I'm not a harem/love comedy kind of guy. I'm hoping RxL can make golf interesting but so far...meh.

So here's two random questions:
First off, can anyone think of any shonen battle/whatever series in which the female characters actually get legitimately roughed up similarly to the male characters? Like, it's always kind of bugged me how so, so frequently you'll see stuff like the men getting their faces bashed in and a mess, but then women seem to always, always get stuck with those sort of scuff marks and the like (and of course clothing damage), rather than anything that would actually interfere with them being eye candy. I'm sure I've read SOMETHING that has an example in all the mass of stuff I've read over the years, but it's just a weird little thing that annoys me a bit.

Secondly: is there any chance there's a decent, non-super-fanservice-y female boxing manga out there? Or actually, now that I think on it, any good female sporting manga in general? (Again with the not fanservice-oriented caveat, as that's not really what I'm looking for.) Just something that came to mind while I'm continuing to move through Ippo bit by bit, and I tangentially realized that I couldn't think of a better example than that Cross Manage thing that US Jump ran for the short time it lasted (and even then, it was focused more on the male protagonist being the team manager).

Edit: Guess I could say Yawara, but from what I remember of the anime that'd kind of be a bit of a stretch, to call it a proper female sports manga. Though it's been a while, and I still haven't gotten around to reading the manga, even though it's on my backlog...

Gintama. I'm honestly surprised at how much damage Kagura takes. It's the most I've seen in any Shonen series.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch545

She should've went for a low blow.

Prison School ch248

Slut-senpai going ham. How will Gakuto get out of this situation?

Ayame 14 ch6

They grew up well~

Don't worry, it's a perfectly normal reaction~

Kingdom ch512

Ousen gives no fucks. The battle of wits is going to be great.

Miss Sunflower ch32

Huh, apparently it's an actually published story. That's pretty neat.

bobohoro

Hayate No Gotoku 565

Let the Rejectathlon begin.
Or something.
Wait...he won't end up with Nagi after all, will he?

Tomo-chan 545

Fuck off Jun.

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 56 - 57

It looks like some actual plot is happening.
I mean, makes sense since we don't really know anything about Kogarashi.

Trying to catch up in Prison School....

Wow. This manga arc of Meiko being confused about herself has gone from interesting character development to overexaggerted and annoying. Just wow. Dont know how anybody around him didnt tell him to stop this fiasco of an Arc.

Still a big PS fan though. Lol

Yeah, it was long. I've just now started to catch up as I stopped reading to let the arc finish.

Zweizer

Banned
She Gets Girls Everyday ch1 by Muku

A+ title.

A ladykiller lady is curious about normal friendship and the like, as most girls tend to confess to her instead. Thus, she decides to ask her mousy classmate to assist her in discovering the wonders of friendship. Cue plenty of potential cuteing girling.

Peco

Detroit Metal City
Minna! Esper da yo!
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatte Iru

Boogiepop

Oh holy crap! Just found out that the Fugo centric Purple Haze novel for Jojo's was written by the author of Boogiepop! I am 100% jumping on grabbing that as soon as I can, now that I know that! Also feel like I should pick up the Boogiepop spinoffs at least, as I never got around to those... Anyone have any impressions positive or negative on the rest of his non-Boogiepop work, by the way?

Also, how are the other Jojo's novels for that matter? I'd definitely be up for looking into them...

Teppuu should interest you.

Hunter x Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist. Probably also My Hero Academia, but it isn't quite there yet.

Not typically in shounen, but in seinen and josei, yeah. I haven't read it yet, but everybody recommends Tetsuwan Girl.

For the first one I'd put Magi in there also, maybe Biscuit Hammer (and the other manga by the same author)? I think Railgun is shonen so there's that too.

Outside of shonen but still battle manga there's a bunch of course, Arachnid is an obvious one and... I guess Akame ga Kill (although at that point the violence is pretty much the fanservice).

Boooo beat me to it.yeah Teppu seems like everything you want right now tbh
Thanks for all this, guys!
Try Keijo for both, I'm sure you'll like it~

See, again I saw this coming, hence my disclaimer. (That said what little I've seen of it does have me kind of curious in spite of what's probably my better judgment. Do I have the right idea that it actually does layer actual sports-manga-ness on top of all the fanservice? Because I feel like I've heard that...)

Sandfox

Oh holy crap! Just found out that the Fugo centric Purple Haze novel for Jojo's was written by the author of Boogiepop! I am 100% jumping on grabbing that as soon as I can, now that I know that! Also feel like I should pick up the Boogiepop spinoffs at least, as I never got around to those... Anyone have any impressions positive or negative on the rest of his non-Boogiepop work, by the way?

Also, how are the other Jojo's novels for that matter? I'd definitely be up for looking into them...

Thanks for all this, guys!

See, again I saw this coming, hence my disclaimer. (That said what little I've seen of it does have me kind of curious in spite of what's probably my better judgment. Do I have the right idea that it actually does layer actual sports-manga-ness on top of all the fanservice? Because I feel like I've heard that...)
Keijo is a serious sports manga despite it's concept to the point where I don't really like calling it fan service. It's more for the absurdity.

cntr

Banned

PHF is far and away the best Jojo novel. The rest are mediocre to awful.

I haven't read it yet, but there's a bit in the series where a character essentially gives herself a wedgie, and this makes her faster because "there's less friction with the swimsuit"

...so might be worth reading, i guess.

DTL wasn't kidding.

Black Clover (Cover, Lead CP)
1.Haikyu!!
2.The Promised Neverland
3.My Hero Academia
Robot x Laserbeam
4.Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
Hungry Marie
Kuromori Crime (CP, One Shot)
5.Spring Weapon No. 1
We Never Learn (CP) (Would of been 3rd week of being ranked, but CP pretty says all you need to know)
6.Kimetsu no Yaiba
Dr. Stone
7.Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
8.The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
9.Hinomaru Zumou
10.Samon the Summoner
11.Demon Prince Poro's Diaries (1st Ranking)
12.Gintama
13.U19 (2nd Ranking)
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

Absent: One Piece

Weekly Shonen Jump #20
Cover, Lead CP: Haikyu!!
CP: Hinomaru Zumou, The Promised Neverland, Hungry Marie (This would of been it's 1st ranking...as with WNL getting a CP says enough postive that it doesn't matter what it's real ranking is).

So Poro and U19 is in deep shit if they don't move soon, since Gintama ain't getting axed.

Hoshino Me Tsubutte 14

Man, this manga is really good.

Hoshino is a fucking delight and the MC is like a discount Hachiman from SNAFU, so an okay character. But Hoshino's influence is really making him grow as a person. I like Soejima as well and am hoping she'll stick around. I liked the MC knocking the headband out of Soejima's friend's hand because she was super in the wrong as well. It's also hilarious to me that Hoshino is like, this super athlete for no reason.

It ended well I guess, especially if Soejima forces herself on the MC. Mmm yeah...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
U19 stands for "Under 19" As in Under 19 Chapters. Yes I know this joke has been made, but god damn is it appropriate.
Too bad for Poro, I kind of liked it, but I can see why it's so low. It's yet another comedy about a demon coming to earth, and the last one was soooo horrible (it also had diary in the title, probably brought up memories of that).

Hungry Marie getting a color page next week sounds like it's going to stick around for a while. So We Never Learn, Hungry Marie, and possibly Dr. Stone will be the next big hits. If Robot x Laserbeam gets better it might stick around too. But we'll see.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
How Many Light-Years to Babylon? ch. 4

That this dude is named after Spongebob is so, well, Dowman Sayman. Unfortunate that the demon girl parted ways.

Fancolors

U19 and Poro were easily the weakest newcomers here, so I can't say I'm surprised with their rankings.

We Never Learn may or may not reach the same popularity as Nisekoi, but it pretty much has its place guaranteed since it fills the same niche.

Dr. Stone has been rock solid so far. I hope it stays.

I'm not feeling Robot x Lazerbeam, but maybe it will get more interesting once we start seeing how the golf matches will work. I just hope we don't get to the same levels as BS Kuroko had once the Zone happened.

And Hungry Marie has been the best one so far.

Top Bottom