• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Fancolors

Uratarou 30
Part of me really hope Chiyo comes back somehow, but I'll be positively impressed if she stays dead. This also may be one of the fastest moving stories I've seen in manga. Like, if Tite Kubo was writing this, he probably would take 200 chapters to get to this point.

Zweizer

Banned
See, again I saw this coming, hence my disclaimer. (That said what little I've seen of it does have me kind of curious in spite of what's probably my better judgment. Do I have the right idea that it actually does layer actual sports-manga-ness on top of all the fanservice? Because I feel like I've heard that...)

Keijo transcends fanservice! And yes, it's arguably the best shonen sports manga currently running.

Don't Make Me So Turned On 2 (NSFW)

So that girl from last time wasn't her SO, she was just another member of her yuri harem. Alright then. In theory the president should be off her back for now, but since she was the 'first' and didn't outright say she'd stop making advances, I'm still expecting her to play a lewd role in the future.

How Many Light-Years to Babylon? 4

That seems like a plausible explanation for miracles. Demon girl's screen time was brief, but she will be missed.

Zweizer

Banned
How Many Light-Years to Babylon? ch4

I knew we all ought to worship demon girls instead!

One Punch-Man ch73.2

They're not completely useless after all.

Joshikausei ch59-60

Cooking can be tricky.

You'd think she'd have felt it.

Shishunki Bitter Change ch47

It was indeed quite the bitter change.

Hoshino, Me o Tsubutte. ch4

Somehow it worked out. I hope Soejima will make recurrent appearances at least.

Hungry Marie ch6

He's not weak in the Princess' body at least.

WNL gets a CP and Poro ranks at 11...

I think I'll start hating on the next JUMP starts I like.

Too soon?

C8pNVGoUQAEhMOf.jpg:large

U19 stands for "Under 19" As in Under 19 Chapters. Yes I know this joke has been made, but god damn is it appropriate.
Too bad for Poro, I kind of liked it, but I can see why it's so low. It's yet another comedy about a demon coming to earth, and the last one was soooo horrible (it also had diary in the title, probably brought up memories of that).

Hungry Marie getting a color page next week sounds like it's going to stick around for a while. So We Never Learn, Hungry Marie, and possibly Dr. Stone will be the next big hits. If Robot x Laserbeam gets better it might stick around too. But we'll see.

Stealth Symphony and Gakkyuu Hotei had color pages before chp 10s and still ended early, how are people so sure.

Eila

So here's two random questions:
First off, can anyone think of any shonen battle/whatever series in which the female characters actually get legitimately roughed up similarly to the male characters? Like, it's always kind of bugged me how so, so frequently you'll see stuff like the men getting their faces bashed in and a mess, but then women seem to always, always get stuck with those sort of scuff marks and the like (and of course clothing damage), rather than anything that would actually interfere with them being eye candy. I'm sure I've read SOMETHING that has an example in all the mass of stuff I've read over the years, but it's just a weird little thing that annoys me a bit.

Secondly: is there any chance there's a decent, non-super-fanservice-y female boxing manga out there? Or actually, now that I think on it, any good female sporting manga in general? (Again with the not fanservice-oriented caveat, as that's not really what I'm looking for.) Just something that came to mind while I'm continuing to move through Ippo bit by bit, and I tangentially realized that I couldn't think of a better example than that Cross Manage thing that US Jump ran for the short time it lasted (and even then, it was focused more on the male protagonist being the team manager).

Edit: Guess I could say Yawara, but from what I remember of the anime that'd kind of be a bit of a stretch, to call it a proper female sports manga. Though it's been a while, and I still haven't gotten around to reading the manga, even though it's on my backlog...

I really like Bamboo Blade but others don't seem to share the sentiment. Seems pretty average rated.

Stealth Symphony and Gakkyuu Hotei had color pages before chp 10s and still ended early, how are people so sure.

Neither of those series was done by a mangaka with a past successful jump series correct?

Bass being mean so early...

I'm still holding out to hope though! Spring weapon made a comeback! Best boy Poro can do it too!

Having a colour page is at least a good sign.

In all seriousness the fact spring weapon was doing decently well kinda doomed poro since they're really similar styles of series and spring weapon has never done that well.

Neither of those series was done by a mangaka with a past successful jump series correct?

In all seriousness the fact spring weapon was doing decently well kinda doomed poro since they're really similar styles of series and spring weapon has never done that well.
Can't really deny that fact, Spring weapon's success does harm the chances of Poro. Hopefully both can coexist but in that JUMP climat I sadly doubt it :/

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Gakkyu Hotei was drawn by Takeshi Obata (artist of Death Note, Hikaru no Go and Bakuman)
Stealth was written by Ryogo Narita (writer of the Baccano and Durarara novels)

Gakkyu Hotei was drawn by Takeshi Obata (artist of Death Note, Hikaru no Go and Bakuman)
Stealth was written by Ryogo Narita (writer of the Baccano and Durarara novels)

But obata didn't write the series correct? Maybe it's just confirmation bias but the art style generally doesn't seem to impact a jump series popularity as much as its writing does.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
But obata didn't write the series correct? Maybe it's just confirmation bias but the art style generally doesn't seem to impact a jump series popularity as much as its writing does.

True, Gakkyu Hotei was written by Nobuaki Enoki, who has done... nothing else before and since.

Zweizer

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch546

At least Carol is understanding.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen ch24.5

Never heard of that story. Poor zebras though.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
How Many Light-Years to Babylon? ch4
JESUS! All that fucking and the fact that the woman just casually mention about Jesus.
And lol, Spongebub. Dowman Sayman sure know his western cartoon

Golden Kamuy 90

Motherfucker just throw a fucking bear! That was awesome.
Asirpa and Shiraishi getting scared of Sugimoto... but yeah, dude is not that different with his enemy.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One Punch Man 112

Well at least the tournament arc is paying off in the end. Suiryu has grown on me and also made for some really good fights even though I'm not sure what will be done with him after this arc. I'm also enjoying Snek and Lighting Max showing up there at the end like real deal heroes.

Story of a Certain Burned Girl / Happiness of a Certain Burned Girl (SFW)

YZ0Fqpl.png

Currently in the middle of a suffering moe drought, so I revisited a pair of short classics about a cute girl who loses her parents (and herself) in a house fire. Usually I'd roll my eyes at the 'it was just a dream' trope, but it's more acceptable when it's used to increase someone's despair. The author's pretty mean to her in other art so I can't help but think the colour scheme here is partially deliberate. I'd hope for a continuation but this is about 3 years old now so I'll have to settle for the occasional piece of character art that's still coming out.

Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen 24.5
Being stomped on by Chloe is currently a more appealing prospect than hooking up with either of the two main girls.
After seeing the destructive force behind that kick, I'd like to revise my opinion. They're now about equal.

TheFlow

Banned
I am enjoying the tournament arc and overall chaos in the cities.

but I wish the manga would move faster just because I want more anime.

One Punch Man 112

Well at least the tournament arc is paying off in the end. Suiryu has grown on me and also made for some really good fights even though I'm not sure what will be done with him after this arc. I'm also enjoying Snek and Lighting Max showing up there at the end like real deal heroes.

Image doesnt load for me.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Groundless - The One-eyed Sniper ch. 17

Not sure if it's the team who scanned this or the mangaka at fault here (or a combination of the two), but these fire / smoke pages looked messy as all hell. Pretty unfortunate when you have action scenes involving a tank crashing into a building and you can barely make anything out.

Golden Kamuy ch. 90

The bear getting ragdolled was funny enough, but it getting up afterwards and deciding it'll just take its L and go back home had me cracking up.

dani_dc

Oyasumi PunPun 124 (reread)

This chapter underlines that, despite spending so much time seeing the world from Punpun perspective, there's still plenty about PunPun that is unknown to the readers, as our view of PunPun are mostly based on his own self-degrading perspective, we lack the perspective of his actions through the eyes of others, which, as we find out, have a rather more positive view of Punpun than what has been presented to us so far.

Jitsu Shimada Watashi Trash 164

Masuda could literally do a 200 chapter comic that was just the "being taken away by the police while people look on with dead eyes" every single chapter and I would fucking die laughing every single time. It never gets less funny.

Youkai Shoujo Monsuga 97

Oh my god.

If this dude actually kills her off, and the odds of it happening are seriously less than .05%, I will personally fly to Japan and buy the mangaka new underwear cause he'll need them for having the biggest balls in the world.

Alright, I need to do some longer write-ups for some new series. There's some really good shit that's just starting that people need to read.

Zweizer

Banned
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch164

Nothing like hardcore cringe to soothe the feels.

Principal is just too kind to them.

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga ch97

Eh, I doubt it'll actually happen.

Attack on Titan ch92

I still don't see the point of all this.

Attack on Titan ch92

I still don't see the point of all this.

That was my reaction, a big WTF? Talk about jumping the shark. Oh well it ends in 8 months. Hopefully his next manga is better. AOT had a great premise and some original moments but a lot of puzzling plot points and poor pacing not to mention confusingly drawn characters.

bobohoro

Finally got all 9 volumes of Monster Perfect Edition.
Now to find time for a re-read.

Youkai Shoujo 97

Aiming at the Reiishi ball probably.

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 164

Lovely chapter. Continues to be the best serious romance manga around.
Hoping for a real harem ending there.

cntr

Banned
Haikyuu 190 - 211

Nohebi were such fuckmunches that the match was unfun to read. Zero sympathy.

And Hinata...I feel for Tsukki. I really do.

Nordicus

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 164

ii8uvy2uu4ckrk4bvr.gif

It had to happen eventually, but damn author's pulling out his horror tricks while doing it. Having Youko's father there as well would have been a brutal finisher, actually.

cntr

Banned
Haikyuu 212 - 220

Pretty good volume.

As an aside, the art's been...less dynamic lately? I don't know how to feel about that.

That was my reaction, a big WTF? Talk about jumping the shark. Oh well it ends in 8 months. Hopefully his next manga is better. AOT had a great premise and some original moments but a lot of puzzling plot points and poor pacing not to mention confusingly drawn characters.

I don't think you know what jumping the shark is. People complained we never got answers and now we're getting answers and details about the enemy. Yet that's not good enough.

Top Bottom