• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Zweizer

Banned
Catulus Syndrome ch1-2 by Neko Tarou

image.jpg

Yuki is your normal, socially awkward high school student, who happens to be a Catulus, or in other terms, a catgirl. Just as luck would have it, one of her classmates is a very affectionate cat lady. Thus starts her heart-pounding high school life!

Pretty cute start, and rife with cudliness~

cntr

Banned
MHA 133

Yo, I really like where this plot is going with the whole drug-enhancing villains thing.

Also Kirishima is a badass.
Kirishima's such a dope dude, yo. Even bothered to try and talk the guy down in a reasonable way.

I like the parallelism where Kirishima and the rest of the class were doing the equivalent of athletic training with their quirks, this guy's just taking steroids.

...I can't believe phone charger Kaminari is canon.

Deadly

MHA
Damn Kirishima going overload. He looks like a beast at the end

Shokugeki no Soma
Daaaaaaaaamn. More Isshiki background but him telling her off and that she'll get fucked by Souma. So good.

Shingeki no Kyoujin 92
I'm so confused

Alright, so here is a manga that everyone should drop what they're doing and read right now:

Beastars by Itagaki Paru

The world is full of anthropomorphized animals and despite their educated and evolved intelligence and sensibilities there still exists a social and cultural divide between carnivore and herbivore: predator and prey. Even with everyone getting along on the surface there's always the hidden pressures of navigating a world where your best fox friend could easily tear your throat out with his teeth.

The Cherryton school is a place for it's young students to study and learn, filling their days with the passion of youth directed towards sports or the arts or whatever the fuck it is kids these days likes I dunno I'm not a kid. And within this school where it's students look towards the future and live together in a harmony that they hope will set the standard for herbivores and carnivores everywhere...

Tem, an alpaca and star of the Drama Club, is murdered by a carnivore.

This snaps the school's tension like a cut rubber band and carnivores and herbivores start to let their internal prejudices show as all their hidden emotions begin to leak over. Among all this is Legosi, a Gray Wolf and member of the stage crew for the Drama Club who has a whispered reputation for being intimidatingly silent and always staring at people with hungry eyes. As Legosi begins to get involved with the mysteries surrounding Tem's murder we begin to see him for who he really is...and who he doesn't want to be. The world of this school will change and Legosi will be at the center of it all.

I cannot stress enough how amazing this manga is for only having 5 chapters. It obviously is going to get many comparisons to Zootopia but I think what's really impressive is that it took a similar concept and similar set up and did very much it's own thing with it to the extent that I didn't even think of Zootopia when I was reading it; same with a bunch of other people who I turned onto it. The reason for this is probably threefold:

The strength of the writing is impressive. This is a very subtle and carefully deliberated story. It deals with what would be very heavy topics in the world it takes place in but dances through them very deftly and uses it's strong character writing to move the plot forward instead of having things simply happen for the sake of development. The best I can liken it to is that sometimes the questions don't have answers and what's important is simply that the question was asked at all. I don't really know how to phrase it because within 5 chapters the writer was able to develop a full world that you can already see the ins and outs of as well as very strong character writing that displays the intricacies of characters who all have their own difficulties in life.

The artwork is also incredibly unique. It has a very sketch like quality to it that you would be hard-pressed to mistake for anyone else's work. Take a look at this cast picture:

Even just the way some of them are standing you can immediately tell what type of character they are. As a result of this quality, the mangaka's artwork lends itself to a striking intensity in a lot of scenes:

The mangaka also uses the uniqueness of each animal's trait to characterize them further and give both weight and practicality to their problems. Take for instance the thoughts of this dwarf rabbit who has been ostracized and bullied due to breaking up a harlequin rabbit couple (the boyfriend came onto her):

...immediately before a scene where she is confronted by the harlequin rabbit girlfriend and puts forth a stand-offish personality as if she doesn't care because every girl who has a problem with her is due to their boyfriends coming onto her. She wonders about why her stature and face just makes men want to protect or be with her. Each of the students has problems like this, an intersection of what teenagers go through woven completely into what that would mean for each of their individual species'.

I honestly cannot recommend this enough. People need to get in on the ground floor with this shit because it only has 5 chapters out but is already rising steadily to the top of my current favorite ongoings. It is simply tremendous.

Zweizer

Banned
My Hero Academia ch133

Kirishima is doing good, though I wonder why Fat or anyone else hasn't come help him.

Shokugeki no Soma ch210

So they go way back. Too bad for her she won't get to settle this.

bobohoro

Alright, so here is a manga that everyone should drop what they're doing and read right now:

Beastars by Itagaki Paru

Sounds great, thanks for the write-up!

Soma 210

Soma cooking with that dumb face is always fun.
And Isshiki getting all the best panels lately is also good.

They asked Kubo that same question

Bleach had been in the dog house for awhile and Kubo had plenty of time to wrap up the quincy arc in a satisfactory way, he's just a fuck up.

Attack on Titan is still on top of the world and the last few chapters just radically expanded the scope of the world and conflict in aot. Yes this is the beginning of the end, but considering the pacing of past battles I have no idea how if chapter 100 = ending is true how aot is suppose to wrap up all its plot points that fast.

shokugeki no soma 210

More Isshiki backstory was nice. I wonder who he's going to be facing as the tournament goes on. Also, when its done, I think Isshiki needs to show Alice the wonders of the naked apron.

Conan-san

Hahaha. Not only did U19 get btfo but it's gone full tumblr with its latest chapter.

The adult party are full on, eugenics programme, fuck everyone for winning ww2 and forcing Japan to be part of globalisation, Nazis.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Bleach had been in the dog house for awhile and Kubo had plenty of time to wrap up the quincy arc in a satisfactory way, he's just a fuck up.

Attack on Titan is still on top of the world and the last few chapters just radically expanded the scope of the world and conflict in aot. Yes this is the beginning of the end, but considering the pacing of past battles I have no idea how if chapter 100 = ending is true how aot is suppose to wrap up all its plot points that fast.

Ok fine, they asked Shimabakuro the same thing for Toriko ;D

Chase17

Dr. Stone 6
Guess there is a new objective. Curious how Yuzihira (might be getting this name wrong) will react to the word. From what we've seen so far she is a lot like Taija. Art continues to impress.

Robot x Laserbeam 4
In his first full hole Robo score an eagle. Liked the art on the practice swing panel a lot. Guess Fujimaki was so tired of the underpowered protagonist in Kuroko, that he really did go the full other way with Robo. Based on Youzan matching Robo's 70% drive with his iron may be a signal that power will be a problem for Robo. But that won't really mater if he scoring eagles anyways lol.

Really liked the art in the panel of the practice swing, and the reaction to the shot for eagle.

Ok fine, they asked Shimabakuro the same thing for Toriko ;D

Toriko's final battle and ending was well paced, toriko skipped several arcs of collecting aracia's full course meal. Attack on titan has had some time skips for plot reasons but so far nothing in the story has felt rushed to get to an ending.

The best example would be yu yu hakusho, which introduced a shit ton of characters and set up a massive tournament, then in 2 chapters it skipped to the end and was like "lots of fighting and this guy won". I suppose aot could do that, but there are a lot of character stuff the series hasn't resolved yet.

bobohoro

Parallel Paradise 3

Can't wait for them all to die a horrible death.
Wait, this is not that kind of manga?

Dr. Stone 6

Yeah, because radically advancing civilization for the sole purpose of getting weapons is a totally genius idea.
What could ever go wrong?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Dr. Stone ch. 6

I'm hoping as the series goes on the smartphone gag is something they'll periodically break out. I love it.

Also this kid is on some serious bullshit already, it wouldn't surprise me if he turned out to be so overpowered he could take a bullet no problem.

Beastars by Itagaki Paru

I got this on my plan to read list now. SeemsGood

mellow

Bartender 1-85

wow

I've known about this series for years but kept holding off on starting it since the translations were slow

it's absolutely incredible, I like how the premise is mostly just a backdrop for it to tell heartwarming stories and valuable life lessons. If it can maintain this quality throughout the second half it will end up as one of my favorite manga

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
VP is literally melting at Pres' unlimited swag.

MANUELF

Banned
Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 164

How is it possible that I still laugh my pants off for the same joke?
Truly a master of the job

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hahaha. Not only did U19 get btfo but it's gone full tumblr with its latest chapter.

The adult party are full on, eugenics programme, fuck everyone for winning ww2 and forcing Japan to be part of globalisation, Nazis.

Wew lad.
The Nazi symbolism was present in the first chapter, but I see they went all the way.

now loading! 1 - 3

Well, this is fun so far. Though relation development hasn't progressed much since chapter 1.

Also, this is me the second its time to leave at my job.
2ebq4aV.jpg

Fancolors

Fire Punch 43
This is like watching a train wreck, a very entertaining one. I don't know exactly where this is going, but I imagine next chapter will show Agni's life to that point as a movie. I doubt he will die tho given his nearly invincible regen.

Dungeon Meshi.
Bonnouji
Horimiya
Mastubation Master Kurosawa
Molester Man

Note: Despite the unfortunate naming of the last 2 they are not exactly what you expect given those names.
Hmm.

Angel Densetsu? You've probably read it, but highly recommended if you haven't. Or maybe try Urasawa's Pluto.

Burned through:

Dungeon Meshi
Molester Man
Angel Densetsu
Bonnouji

All excellent. The last four were surprisingly touching and heartfelt. Well done Manga thread. You have yet to steer me wrong.

Burned through:

Dungeon Meshi
Molester Man
Angel Densetsu
Bonnouji

All excellent. The last four were surprisingly touching and heartfelt. Well done Manga thread. You have yet to steer me wrong.

*COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH*

I'M GONNA RECOMMEND RANDOM STUFF CAUSE I'M BAD AT RECOMMENDATIONS OKAY LET'S GO

Yuureitou - A psychological thriller/horror/mystery manga that deals with...I'm gonna spoiler this because it's a pretty big reveal but is also a pretty big reason to read it in the first place so buyer beware...
trans
issues and amazingly it handles it exceedingly well. The general plot is that in the 1950s a woman was murdered after being tied to the face of a clock tower by her adopted daughter and now a couple years later the MC Taichi is about to be murdered in the same way by a mysterious assailant but is saved by a young man named Tetsuo. Tetsuo is searching for a treasure in the tower and the two of them go on to try and solve the mystery of the tower and what is really going on. Very good art and very good writing.

NEXT ONE

Jitsu wa Watashi wa - This is the rom com manga that all other rom coms need to take lessons from. There is almost no better rom-com/gag manga than this one. Basically the MC Kuromine Asahi discovers the secret of his classmate and crush Shirigami Youko; turns out she's a vampire! But Kuromine is a man who is totally balls at lying and Youko is an airhead who constantly almost reveals herself. How will this whacky set-up work out?!?!!

Ignore that simple premise and just realize that this is one of the funniest manga that has ever existed. And in much the same way as Gintama, it is excessively good at getting you to emotionally invest in the characters by laughing along with them and their silly hijinks and then when shit gets real it gets realer than fucking real. This manga has made me cry. I'm man enough to admit that. Like...all the time. I cry easy.

Definitely worth a read and it's also ending in like a week or two so good time to come in!

ON TO THE NEXT

6000 - A horror manga about a deep sea facility 6000 meters below the surface of the ocean. Closed years ago after an accident that killed all it's workers, it has recently been acquired by a Japanese company that is being bought out by a Chinese company who reopens it. Kadokura Kengo is sent there along with the workers and shortly thereafter his colleague is injured. More and more off stuff begins to happen and dread begins to build as a lot of things don't seem to be just coincidence.

A short manga, self-contained and tells it's story. Very VERY good at creating an uncomfortable and spoopy atmosphere and utilizes it well. Might fall off a bit when you learn some stuff but I didn't mind it at all.

WHOOP WHOOP WHAT ELSE

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro - By the guy who did AssClass, his previous work. A demon from Hell who eats mysteries has gotten bored and tired of being unfulfilled in Hell and comes to Earth to feast on the great mysteries we have here. He is attracted to a girl, Katsuragi Yako, whose father was recently killed and solves the mystery of his death along with Yako. He decides to use Yako to find mysteries on Earth so sets her up as his face in the world and makes her famous as a teen detective so that he can find all the delicious mysteries he wants.

Quite a funny manga but since it's basically Case Closed but with a demon all the cases that they solve are basically murders so it deals with adult themes. There is an underlying plot line that does continue throughout the manga and end in a pretty satisfying way; the mangaka has a really good habit of not letting a manga outstay it's welcome. He ended both Neuro and AssClass when they felt like they should end instead of having them go on forever. Don't read if you want to figure out the mystery yourself as Neuro uses demon tools and shit to figure stuff out; it's not about the mystery being solvable by you it's about watching him figure it out and be amused and entertained.

LET'S DO ONE MORE GOD I WISH THERE WAS AN EASIER WAY FOR ME TO GUSH AT PEOPLE ABOUT MANGA INSTEAD OF TYPING FOR LIKE 30 MINUTES

Sket Dance - A high school slice of life by the assistant of the mangaka for Gintama so it has a very similar feel to it. The adventures of the Sket Dan which is basically a volunteer club that goes out to help people who come to them with their issues. Lead by Bossun, a lovable goofball who has tremendous powers of concentration and deductive reasoning, Himeko the ex-queen of delinquents and Switch a brilliant otaku who speaks only through a voice program on his laptop. Much like Gintama it is primarily a gag manga but knows how to do emotional stories very well.

This mangaka is a rarity; he is someone who handles a lot of topics that manga aimed at teenagers never touch and he handles them with incredible respect and deft writing. I won't say what they are as most of them are reveals to very important plotlines, but suffice to say that the final arc of the manga was amazing and made me incredibly emotional. Hell, the big arc that happens in the middle with a huge reveal is...pretty incredible too.

It is finished and thus easier to read as it has a succinct stopping point. It follows them through their high school years so it obviously ends when they graduate. Very good series.

I tried to recommend some stuff that I don't normally see talked about or talk about a lot, things that other people might not suggest to you.

God it takes me so much time to research and do recommendations it's no wonder I don't do them. It'd be easier for me to just record myself talking about shit because it's so much easier for me to ramble about shit I love for 30 minutes and contain so much more information than if I wrote for 30 minutes. BLAH

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Burned through:

Dungeon Meshi
Molester Man
Angel Densetsu
Bonnouji

You need to read Jitsu wa Watashi wa. It's among the funniest manga there are. The gags never never never get old.

Horimiya 76

Iura is a bit overprotective it seems. Kitahara thinks he's cool which is pretty funny though.

Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumeishitemita 3 -

Yeah, I don't see the purpose of wearing lab coats if you're just sitting at a computer all day. Also, it looks like there's a gamecube on the table, I wonder if this is an older manga. Though I guess it is a fairly accurate portrayal of grad students in that they're behind the times with whats going on in the world except for their research.

Also, I don't think this Aika dude is the best person to ask about love.

MANUELF

Banned
Burned through:

Dungeon Meshi
Molester Man
Angel Densetsu
Bonnouji

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa is a MUST read, simply fantastic

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
The Promised Neverland ch. 34

Clearly, next chapter will reveal Phil is the mastermind behind all of this.

Attack on Titan ch. 92

I realize this war is a building block for what's up ahead, but it's hard to care about any of this.

Burned through:

Dungeon Meshi
Molester Man
Angel Densetsu
Bonnouji

I had some recs too.

i'mjustsaiyan

e: I'm dumb, wrong link.

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa is a MUST read, simply fantastic

You need to read Jitsu wa Watashi wa. It's among the funniest manga there are. The gags never never never get old.

I've read Jitsu wa Watashi wa up until... Chapter 80? I worry best girl will simply lose. I'll catch back up.

*COUGH COUGH COUGH COUGH*

read Me and the Devil Blues!

I'm working my way through everything! Give me time!

Zweizer

Banned
Burned through:

Dungeon Meshi
Molester Man
Angel Densetsu
Bonnouji

Hey, psst:

Bah, y'all are putting me out of the recs business.

Anyways, since they've covered pretty much everything else, here are my suggestions:

Ayame and Amane
Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.
Keijo

Okusan
The Voynich Hotel
Nana to Kaoru
Yurika's Campus Life
Tsugumomo
Murcielago
Dulce Report
Sexual Instinct and the Hydrogen Bomb War & The End of Sexual Instinct and the Hydrogen Bomb War

Have fun~

Top Bottom