• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't know why they didn't just make the abilities unlocked for all from the very start and let the users decide which abilities to use.

Like the variation system in MKX only more customizable according to the matchup. This is just shitty as a lot of people just won't use these abilities.

mbpm1

Probably because those abilities are hella good/hard to balance

Captain Cold has that awesome thing where he makes an ice platform. While on it he has zero restrictions and can do all his moves.

On the ultrachen show they were just spitballing how he can make the platform, stand on it, make his subzero wall to stop people from attacking him from the front, then actively shoot at the opponent from behind it with his gun and his falling ice shards like some combination of Sim float and Fang zoning.

That stuff can get wild fast.

XenoRaven

Sneak peek at Chun season 3 changes

Final hit of CA is now jump cancelable
(Due to range, only j. MK hits)

Increased startup on cr. LK
Increased startup on st. LK
Increased recovery on st. HP
Increased recovery on st. HK

Village

I'm bringing this up, because bullshit has slipped through the cracks in capcom games before.

But i'm fighting a sim on line as balrog, and all his's doing is jumping up high, teleporting to the otherside and doing hardpunch.... and I can't do anything?

Like anything, all buttons don't work, he's to high to crush counter, his crush counter crush counters my anti airs , and when I jump and met him , its either to early and im punching backwards, or when I actually do meet him air to air, he adjusts timing so his beets out mine.

Like people actually say things are broken, but this seems legit broke, and I don't see anything about this. Like as this character, I had no respones or anything, I even took it into training mode, nothing. Maybe i'm missing something, but it seems broke, at least for balrog

mbpm1

I'm bringing this up, because bullshit has slipped through the cracks in capcom games before.

But i'm fighting a sim on line as balrog, and all his's doing is jumping up high, teleporting to the otherside and doing hardpunch.... and I can't do anything?

Like anything, all buttons don't work, he's to high to crush counter, his crush counter crush counters my anti airs , and when I jump and met him , its either to early and im punching backwards, or when I actually do meet him air to air, he adjusts timing so his beets out mine.

Like people actually say things are broken, but this seems legit broke, and I don't see anything about this. Like as this character, I had no respones or anything, I even took it into training mode, nothing. Maybe i'm missing something, but it seems broke, at least for balrog

TAP or dash out? anticipate the teleports and get out of position beforehand? block?

If he's so high why don't you just..block?

Village

I got crush countered

or it was the wrong side and I went the wrong way'

If he's so high why don't you just..block?

I did,

But eventually I need to like.. you know... attack him.

Then I would, and he'd either die, because not doing that, he couldn't actually beat me. Or he would jump away and do the same thing.

Like if you know something I don't , please tell me. but I did that, and a bunch of other things, and... nothing

mbpm1

I did,

But eventually I need to like.. you know... attack him.

Then I would, and he'd either die, because not doing that, he couldn't actually beat me. Or he would jump away and do the same thing.

If you let any zoning character set up too much you're not going to be able to beat their setup sometimes.

It's the same principle behind hitting sim before he throws an up fireball and enforces a teleport/slide mixup on you, or stopping FANG from moving to full screen and throwing down a trap to hit buttons and fireball behind.

SFV is not a clean game. Get your maul on.

MrCarter

I would rather Capcom take their time for it to come out than to rush it, run into some other issues and have the same talking heads complain once again.

Even if thier connections are perfect they would still find something else to complain about lol. That's why I laugh at r/Kappa.

MrCarter

This artwork: https://twitter.com/nom1207/status/838569107595243520

Oh nice. Thinking about cropping Rashid and making that my Avatar.

Village

If you let any zoning character set up too much you're not going to be able to beat their setup sometimes.

Nah but you can though? Like Geif could just beat the thing he was doing with lariat.

It should be if you understand what the opponent is doing, and you know what your character to do you can, respond. I couldn't respond. The character, at that moment, Dhalsim was design to fight, had a better chance than the one I was using.
Him being able to jump was an eventuality, I can't stop him from jumping,

It's the same principle behind hitting sim before he throws an up fireball and enforces a teleport/slide mixup on you, or stopping FANG from moving to full screen and throwing down a trap to hit buttons and fireball behind.

But I can stop fang from doing that, or punish fang for doing that. Or heck if i'm rog, just brut force it in some occasions, like I can with sim, except for this very weird situation .

Like when I loose to Rashid, all the damn time I go " welp I don't know what the fuck happened' but I don't feel like its broke, I feel like i'm ass. This was like " ... this doesn't seem like this works right " Laura's weird knee that's like 8+ on block seemed less weird than this. Maybe i'm just doodoo, that's probably it, but this seemed legit strange.

mbpm1

Nah but you can though? Like Geif could just beat the thing he was doing with lariat.

It should be if you understand what the opponent is doing, and you know what your character to do you can, respond. I couldn't respond. The character, at that moment, Dhalsim was design to fight, had a better chance than the one I was using.
Him being able to jump was an eventuality, I can't stop him from jumping,

Well you can stop him from jumping by beating him up. If he jumps that high you should be able to dash away on his teleport before he drops to the height to actually hit you and then go back to hitting him. If he jumps lower to hit you as he comes out of teleport it seems like you should be able to beat him to the punch with an anti-air. I just can't see it covering every scenario or escape here.
But I can stop fang from doing that, or punish fang for doing that. Or heck if i'm rog, just brut force it in some occasions, like I can with sim, except for this very weird situation .

Like when I loose to Rashid, all the damn time I go " welp I don't know what the fuck happened' but I don't feel like its broke, I feel like i'm ass. This was like " ... this doesn't seem this works right "
Can you stop Vega if he does EX wall dive coming down on you on your wakeup every time?

Some situations are not in really in favour.

I don't think this is that case though, but even if it is it seems pretty escapable.

Village

With Vega, I ussually just jump and use the hard, long body move of whatever character i'm using to stop him from doing whatever mid air bullshit he's doing, unless its ex, and even then sometimes i can get him

Anyway I'll keep trying, it was just weird. I wasn't even mad, I was just confused.

Thanks for the advice

Beckx

With Vega, I ussually just jump and use the hard, long body move of whatever character i'm using to stop him from doing whatever mid air bullshit he's doing, unless its ex, and even then sometimes i can get him

Anyway I'll keep trying, it was just weird. I wasn't even mad, I was just confused.

Thanks for the advice

FWIW Here's Art v PRRog (from a while ago though). You can see Rog having trouble with the same stuff and the solution was not to let Art get any of that started.

https://youtu.be/PNEf0XgG4fk

Kikirin

Can you stop Vega if he does EX wall dive coming down on you on your wakeup every time?

Some situations are not in really in favour.

I don't think this is that case though, but even if it is it seems pretty escapable.

Invincible reversals or specials with anti-air frames can work, though you may have to guess left/right.

Depending on what you were downed with, mixing up your recoveries between quick/back/none can also throw off his timing - if you can make him whiff an attack or land without throwing anything out, he'll have an extended landing recovery animation.

mbpm1

Invincible reversals or specials with anti-air frames can work, though you may have to guess left/right.

Depending on what you were downed with, mixing up your recoveries between quick/back/none can also throw off his timing - if you can make him whiff an attack or land without throwing anything out, he'll have an extended landing recovery animation.

Well it was Rog, so he doesn't have those.

And of course, if he wasn't coming down while you decided to delay rise.

The point was that it was a similar situation more than anything.

Kikirin

Well it was Rog, so he doesn't have those.

And of course, if he wasn't coming down while you decided to delay rise.

The point was that it was a similar situation more than anything.

Ahaha, whoops! - I'd missed that it was a rhetorical question. Was answering for the Vega situation.

SneakersSO? More like TeasersSO.

lol the funny part is that, the post wasn't a tease. I was originally writing a rant about how I was pissed that some people in the community are pissed that Capcom went & put Kolin in the roster despite being in the story, and took that as a sign of laziness, not considering just how much work, even on the model itself, it takes to get any character in this game.

Just because a character may be featured in the campaign, doesn't mean that they are just cutting an pasting the character. It's not even like Kolin was in any of the fights in the story mode campaign - she had no toolkit whatsoever. It's just a ridiculous argument to make, not even accounting for the fact that, with the exception of 1/4 remaining silhouettes, none of the characters look like they they were even in the story mode to begin with.

So, I guess my rant is out regardless.

not denying it eh
There are times when you try your own thing & see how it goes. There are other times when you give the fans what they want. Considering the constant requests people have for him, if I don't see the entire community collectively lose their shit like LI Joe did when they first showed Urien, i'm gonna be disappointed in all of ya'll.

And no, i'm not denying it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
lol the funny part is that, the post wasn't a tease. I was originally writing a rant about how I was pissed that some people in the community are pissed that Capcom went & put Kolin in the roster despite being in the story, and took that as a sign of laziness, not considering just how much work, even on the model itself, it takes to get any character in this game.

Just because a character may be featured in the campaign, doesn't mean that they are just cutting an pasting the character. It's not even like Kolin was in any of the fights in the story mode campaign - she had no toolkit whatsoever. It's just a ridiculous argument to make, not even accounting for the fact that, with the exception of 1/4 remaining silhouettes, none of the characters look like they they were even in the story mode to begin with.

It's not even worth ranting about obviously dumb opinions.

On top of Kolin not having a move-set in story mode, it is worth noting that Capcom also redid her model when she became a playable character. Her final model is much more detailed than the story-mode model.

Skilletor

Since I was one of the people saying that, it wasn't in reference to laziness. Kolin is a sick ass character with tons of stuff we haven't seen in this game. And her walking back animation is amazing.

I just want NEW characters to SF that haven't been around. I want new character designs.

I don't think it's lazy. I just want new character designs and characters for the series.

Ucchedavāda;234267529 said:
On top of Kolin not having a move-set in story mode, it is worth noting that Capcom also redid her model when she became a playable character. Her final model is much more detailed than the story-mode model.

Absolutely. She is way more detailed & animated then she is in story mode. Heck, she is the first character in the game to have an actual counter mechanic I believe.

I think what ultimately disappoints me is that I personally feel that some of the design work on the SFV newcomers have been incredible as far as their respective toolkits are concerned, and a part of me just dies a little knowing that no matter how amazing these next 4 are going to be, they will all immediately be played less collectively then a Sagat or Sakura will be played individually.

I know it makes logical sense - newcomers don't have an inherit fanbase whereas older characters do. I get that. I just wish the community was just more open collectively to change or new blood versus just sticking to old mainstays. I'll never see PR Balrog play Necalli again, even though it was infinitely more enjoyable to watch than his Rog set-play.

At least we had Laura & Necalli being given an earnest chance, but I wonder if thats more due to the strength of their toolkits.

Since I was one of the people saying that, it wasn't in reference to laziness. Kolin is a sick ass character with tons of stuff we haven't seen in this game. And her walking back animation is amazing.

I just want NEW characters to SF that haven't been around. I want new character designs.

I don't think it's lazy. I just want new character designs and characters for the series.

I mean, Kolin hasn't been around though. She was a intro character in SF3 for a boss - thats not exposure. She doesn't resemble that iteration at all. In fact, had she not become 'Helena' in the story mode, she would've been a completely new character, head to toe. But because we do get that reveal, it somehow invalidates the effort. And people still would've called Capcom lazy because Kolin's model was in the story mode.

Here's a question - if we wind up getting a character with a new kit, and we discover that in the lore he is actually the person who becomes Q, does that invalidate him as being a new character?

Village

Also Kolin, didn't look like Helena, untill the very end of the story mode, and in most of the game.

She is essentially a new character and a new design, we didn't know anything about until sfv.

Mizerman

There are times when you try your own thing & see how it goes. There are other times when you give the fans what they want. Considering the constant requests people have for him, if I don't see the entire community collectively lose their shit like LI Joe did when they first showed Urien, i'm gonna be disappointed in all of ya'll.

It's Sagat. Of course I'll mark out.

Skilletor

I mean, Kolin hasn't been around though. She was a intro character in SF3 for a boss - thats not exposure. She doesn't resemble that iteration at all. In fact, had she not become 'Kolin' in the story mode, she would've been a completely new character, head to toe. But because we do get that reveal, it somehow invalidates the effort. And people still would've called Capcom lazy because Helen's model was in the story mode.

I disagree, but since I don't think any of those things re: laziness, I won't bother with a semantics argument.

Kolin is dope.

People are going to hate on this game and Capcom forever. Kind of comes from them previously recycling so much with characters and stuff like E. Ryu and V. Ken in USF2. Most of it comes from this supreme vitriol that SF5 has garnered, which is honestly just getting tiring to interact with.

If that thread about the CFN Beta was titled, "Character delayed for SF5," it'd be 3x as long by now.

vulva

Trust me, reading half the posts about certain things being lazy drives me insane, but on a forum where a majority of people think they're experts on game dev/design it's just not worth trying to bring a rational discussion up.

Every time you try to explain something being more complicated than it looks, you have some idiot posting a single jpg of some "fix" that only works in a still image. Basically you have people looking at issues in a vacuum and acting like they're some sort of genius that can solve an issue. I've mainly just decided to bite my tongue as of late since it really isn't worth the discussion it seems.

DKL

Trust me, reading half the posts about certain things being lazy drives me insane, but on a forum where a majority of people think they're experts on game dev/design it's just not worth trying to bring a rational discussion up.

I'm drowning in the main forums.

Just kill me, fam.

Beckx

Here's a question - if we wind up getting a character with a new kit, and we discover that in the lore he is actually the person who becomes Q, does that invalidate him as being a new character?

I don't ever want to know "the person who becomes Q" though, some things are better unexplored. I don't think I'm alone on that but who knows.

Put in modern day Asura though and you'll see people happy! make sure Capcom hears that!

Village

Every time you try to explain something being more complicated than it looks, you have some idiot posting a single jpg of some "fix" that only works in a still image. Basically you have people looking at issues in a vacuum and acting like they're some sort of genius that can solve an issue. I've mainly just decided to bite my tongue as of late since it really isn't worth the discussion it seems.

I'm not gonna pretend that people havent fixed games. I'm not going to pretend that community havens presented solutions and mods that improved games. Its happened, hell for me, modded costumes improve the shit out of SFV right.

But i'm with you on this, this shit is super annoying.

The worst ones? Making female characters " prettier "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom