• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light |OT| - Play This GOTY Contender

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I downloaded the demo on PS3 yesterday and I'm blown away. It's incredibly fun and it looks gorgeous. I'm definitely buying it.

Ocho

Played the demo on the PS3 and the low framerate (and no online mp at launch) is seriously making me consider buying this game (at least until they fix it, if ever).

I was really looking forward to it, I even bought a PSN card for this, but I'm hesitant now.

:(

8bitgeorge said:
Played the demo on the PS3 and the low framerate (and no online mp at launch) is seriously making me consider buying this game (at least until they fix it, if ever).

I was really looking forward to it, I even bought a PSN card for this, but I'm hesitant now.

:(
I'm also still one the fence because of this. If the framerate stutter wasn't there I would've already bought it. I also thought about buying the 360 version but I only have 1 controller and like 0 people on my friends list there.

It's a really shitty situation because I thought the demo was fantastic.

YianGaruga said:
I'm also still one the fence because of this. If the framerate stutter wasn't there I would've already bought it. I also thought about buying the 360 version but I only have 1 controller and like 0 people on my friends list there.

It's a really shitty situation because I thought the demo was fantastic.

add friends from gaf = win?

im finally buying this on the 28th. co-op ftmfw

pyros

already preordered the game off steam, was waiting for it to unlock, when darksiders appeared and sucked up all my free time, next on my to play list

ot, YianGaruga, name of the person in your avatar, and from what show, thanks

Fitz

ArjanN said:
They would probably just have an overworld with linear tombs/dungeons in it.

Indeed, in my mind it would be quite similar to Risen, in that you could just be walking along, find some random Crypt/Tomb entrance, waltz in, dodge some traps, walk out with the loot, no loading screens or anything. Only with less focus on the overworld and more on the dungeons.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Open world Tomb Raider would just play out like a sophisticated Metroid. After all, Metroid was the original tomb raider. Chozo tombs.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Play Tomb Raider: Anniversary and the level St. Francis' Folly if you want to see how I would like non-linear tombs/every goddamn tomb to be as good as in the new Tomb Raider. Actually, they could extend that level design out to the size of a full game. It's such a pleasure moving Lara through the central room in St. Francis, getting to each each path off it is a wonder platforming puzzle and you can really approach them however you like.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I want to get this game based on the very positive buzz it has gotten.

I mostly play on consoles. I have enough in my PSN wallet, but I would need to get new MS points. Is the PS3 version that inferior to the 360 version?
(I don't feel like downloading both demos to see myself.)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
bandresen said:
I want to get this game based on the very positive buzz it has gotten.

I mostly play on consoles. I have enough in my PSN wallet, but I would need to get new MS points. Is the PS3 version that inferior to the 360 version?
(I don't feel like downloading both demos to see myself.)
They both like shit compared to PC, but apparently PS3 has a bit of trouble maintaining 30 fps while 360 doesn't. Also 360 is getting the online co-op patch first so go with that version.

Please for the love of god get this one on PC, it looks so much better it's not even funny. It has every single feature that the console versions have and looks incredible on a nice TV.

Dark FaZe said:
Two questions:

IS coop available online for 360 now?

How long is it?
It supposedly going to be available on Tuesday and the first run of the game took me a little over 5 hours. I didn't rush and did as many challenges as I could manage. I have already spent another two hours working towards 100% and I will be playing through co-op at least twice with two of my friends. I expect my total time this year to end up around 20 hours. I will certainly replay it down the line too.

FrankT

Korey said:
So, still no Live co-op? I wonder why they're so silent on it.

Well it's supposed to be up today, but I'm not seeing anything anywhere. OP has slated for the 28th and the devs said last week it was going up this week. I don't know if that got pushed to the 29th due to arcade schedule or what.

SmokyDave

Bought this on Steam (Couldn't pass up TR: L for free) and it unlocks for me at about 6pm tonight. I'm jealous of you people.

Jtyettis said:
Well it's supposed to be up today, but I'm not seeing anything anywhere. OP has slated for the 28th and the devs said last week it was going up this week. I don't know if that got pushed to the 29th due to arcade schedule or what.

FYI, it has been pushed back for PC and PS3. As in there is no new date yet.

Dice

Holy shit, guys, tell me this isn't it.

Okay so it crashed again, seems to be doing it when I die. It thinks it's a problem with the graphics settings but that's bullshit. However, now it lost my save file or something. It goes "Failed create autosave, retry?" So I said yes, and now everything is gone. 12 hours of play gone.

WTF is happening.

The game is awesome enough and knowledge-based enough that I could catch up with the items and whatnot, but the record-setting component of the game would be dead to me if I lost my records now.

Alpha_eX

World of Illusion meets Smash TV in the world of Tomb Raider. I love it, one of my favourite games this year, the co-op is amazing.

Dice

Am I the only one who lost all their shit? I have looked all over and there is no local save file. So somehow it got deleted and Steam Cloud also forgot that it had anything for me. I still have my achievements (which I don't care about) but my save is totally gone. Were those considered "beta tester saves" or something?

Wallach

Dice said:
Am I the only one who lost all their shit? I have looked all over and there is no local save file. So somehow it got deleted and Steam Cloud also forgot that it had anything for me. I still have my achievements (which I don't care about) but my save is totally gone. Were those considered "beta tester saves" or something?

Not sure man. I can tell you that I downloaded the demo when the Gamespot thing went up (PC), but had not yet played it. In the past... twelve hours or so (not sure exactly I've been outside building a roof most of the day) it has re-downloaded what looks like probably the whole game (2.2-ish GB) at least twice. Something seems fucked up. I actually just uninstalled the fucker before reading this because of it.

Blizzard

Banned
Dice said:
Holy shit, guys, tell me this isn't it.

Okay so it crashed again, seems to be doing it when I die. It thinks it's a problem with the graphics settings but that's bullshit. However, now it lost my save file or something. It goes "Failed create autosave, retry?" So I said yes, and now everything is gone. 12 hours of play gone.

WTF is happening.

The game is awesome enough and knowledge-based enough that I could catch up with the items and whatnot, but the record-setting component of the game would be dead to me if I lost my records now.
:( Where are save files stored? I want to back up my data now, but I don't see it in the Documents folder in somewhere immediately obvious. And losing that much progress and record data would be awful, I'm sorry it happened to you.

Also, that patch was huuuuge. Did it just redownload stuff or does anyone know if anything was changed?

*edit* There is one person in the Steam forum who had a problem where their save file got deleted, but they admitted they played the pirated version before they bought the game, so I don't know if it's related.

I don't even see an option for Steam cloud saves (is it automatic?), but all my save data is still there...I would really like to know if it's stored on my PC somewhere so I can back it up. :(

Blizzard said:
Also, that patch was huuuuge. Did it just redownload stuff or does anyone know if anything was changed?
It re-downloaded the entire thing for me. Thank god i don't have download limits at the moment.

Dice

Now I'm scared to start over until I know major updates (adding online co-op and whatnot) are out of the way. I may just wait a couple weeks.

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, that was non-obvious. After some searching (fortunately someone else had found their save file location) it looks as if the game uses Steam cloud saves ONLY, and while that's really convenient, this is exactly the sort of problem that one can have when you can't manually back up your saves. :(

Anyway, it looks like the autosave gets stored/cached somewhere like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[numbers]\35130"

I don't know if backing that directory up and restoring it later works, but I think that's the data.

TheExodu5

Banned
Other the shadows, the game looks great:

tr2.png

Cels

kylej said:

So Crystal Dynamics screwed up again. If the patch was going to be delayed at least say something before the day people are expecting a patch enabling an important feature in your incomplete game.

Cels said:
So Crystal Dynamics screwed up again. If the patch was going to be delayed at least say something before the day people are expecting a patch enabling an important feature in your incomplete game.
It's aggravating that they messed up because it's a great game so far. I wish I could see how different it is in co-op

Cels

akilshohen said:
It's aggravating that they messed up because it's a great game so far. I wish I could see how different it is in co-op

I've played some couch co-op and it's really fun...puzzles are different, too. But online is where the real deal is, so I wish they would just give us a real concrete date instead of these continual delays.

Dice

Apparently I have the 3rd best time for Spider Tomb. I know how I could go faster but a bit of chance is involved with that one and re-unlocking a couple specific weapons might make it easier. Thing is, some of the posted best times are impossible, so it makes the people who did them (who got other best times) seem really shady. Under 10 seconds for The Summoning? Did they unlock a tactical nuke to kill the T-Rex with?

Edit: Youtube has shown me a lot. Too many glitches to take leaderboard times seriously in this game. I'll just be satisfied with personal bests.

Fitz

Dice said:
Apparently I have the 3rd best time for Spider Tomb. I know how I could go faster but a bit of chance is involved with that one and re-unlocking a couple specific weapons might make it easier. Thing is, some of the posted best times are impossible, so it makes the people who did them (who got other best times) seem really shady. Under 10 seconds for The Summoning? Did they unlock a tactical nuke to kill the T-Rex with? Ridiculous.

I just tried it and got 22 seconds using the (tiny weapon spoiler)
Spear of Light
, could have easily gotten under 20, but 10 seconds is almost 100% a hack/cheat of some nature. Even with a full power meter I don't think you could kill it fast enough. Having said that, I could see it being possible on co-op, unless the boss gets more health.

Oh, glitched it. :( Hopefully those get fixed.

FrankT

Hey CD can we get a confirm on when that co-op is hitting this 360 with the first DLC? I thought everything was hitting this week.

Ricker

Cels said:

I`m not buying it till the online co-op is up(360) and the delay is getting a little too long for me...I almost bought Hydrophobia after playing the short trial but I`m keeping my points for Lara Croft,because I know it`s a better game....c`mon with the online co-op already...why is this so hard to do all of a sudden?

Cels

Hey Crystal Dynamics, Eidos, Square-Enix, et. al., get your shit together. Patch in online co-op and fix the glitches that enable cheesing of leaderboards. Xbox players have been waiting SIX WEEKS for online co-op, and now the patch has been delayed again with no definite release date.

legend166

Can someone tell me how to beat the flaming raptor in Belly of the Beast?

I'm just running around like a moron stepping on those switches which bring the bridge in the middle up and down. I can shoot the boss but it seems like there's supposed to be another way because it's probably going to take about 15 minutes of continuous shooting to kill him :lol

Cels

legend166 said:

I'm just running around like a moron stepping on those switches which bring the bridge in the middle up and down. I can shoot the boss but it seems like there's supposed to be another way because it's probably going to take about 15 minutes of continuous shooting to kill him :lol

Spoiler 1:
Look at the objectives screen. What does it tell you to do?

Spoiler 2:
Shoot it with the rocket launcher.

burgerdog

legend166 said:

The bridges lead to an ammo crate in the center. Just use your grenade launcher or rocket launcher until it dies.

Top Bottom