• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eight minutes of Resident Evil Revelations PS4 and Xbox One gameplay

Gematsu.

Capcom has released a pair of action and exploration-focused gameplay videos from the upcoming PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Resident Evil Revelations.

Resident Evil Revelations, which is currently available across PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PC, and 3DS, will launch for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One this fall in North America and Europe. It was dated in Japan today for an August 31 release.

Action

Exploration

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is this game like super special or something? I can't believe this 3DS game has SO many ports. I played like half of it on 3DS back in the day and while i thought it was pretty good for a portable game, I had no idea it would go getting re-released like every year after that. Makes me feel like maybe I should finally revisit it and finish it. The only RE game I've ever played, finished, and enjoyed is RE4.

aadiboy

Is this game like super special or something? I can't believe this 3DS game has SO many ports. I played like half of it on 3DS back in the day and while i thought it was pretty good for a portable game, I had no idea it would go getting re-released like every year after that. Makes me feel like maybe I should finally revisit it and finish it. The only RE game I've ever played, finished, and enjoyed is RE4.

It's less that it's special and more that Capcom is porting every feasible RE game to current gen to make extra money.

I bet they don't fix that crappy aiming from the previous gen consoles. It was like the analogue stick was 99% dead zone, you were either fully moving or not at all. It was weird since the left stick was way more responsive.

PC version was fine though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

It's less the game being special and more Capcom is determined to make every main Resident Evil game playable on every console ever. They've been doing an active effort in the last few years to make an 'easily' portable version of every main Resident Evil game. It's the reason we also got HD Remasters of REmake and Zero, an Ultimate HD Edition of RE4, and the original Revelations HD port. They ported the games into new engines/added some HD features like 60fps for RE4 or some updated graphics for Revelations HD so they can port the whole series to new platforms. They're getting pretty close to having a version of every main RE game they can port easily, too.

Part of the reason for all these recent HD versions of older RE games in recent years, and I am sure oneo f the reasons REmake 2 was greenlit, is this movement from Capcom to make sure anyone who's interested will be able to play the 'main' Resident Evil series on any platform of their choice, plus extra moola from people who want these games on another console and all that. Some people may find it sleazy or something, but I appreciate Capcom going all in to keep the series easily accessible for anyone and preserving the games for future consoles/generations.

Dunkley

Not really, it's just that MT Framework is a beast and porting Revelations after they got Resi 6 and 5 up and running on those consoles shouldn't prove to be too much of a challenging task.

Not saying it's a button press and it's done, but given they do have experience with porting MT Framework games to current gen it should be easy money.

Dusk Golem

Not really, it's just that MT Framework is a beast and porting Revelations after they got Resi 6 and 5 up and running on those consoles shouldn't prove to be too much of a challenging task.

Not saying it's a button press and it's done, but given they do have experience with porting MT Framework games to current gen it should be easy money.

Yup, MT Framework and now going into the RE Engine which also has easier porting capabilities (though it's overall more demanding than MT Framework). The reason for the recent RE4 HD, REmake HD, and Zero HD releases were to move these three titles into MT Frameworks and make a version they can more easily port in the future. Revelations HD is the same deal, though it was already in MT Framework they updated the graphics so they'd be acceptable off handheld.

True Fire

It's less the game being special and more Capcom is determined to make every main Resident Evil game playable on every console ever. They've been doing an active effort in the last few years to make an 'easily' portable version of every main Resident Evil game. It's the reason we also got HD Remasters of REmake and Zero, an Ultimate HD Edition of RE4, and the original Revelations HD port. They ported the games into new engines/added some HD features like 60fps for RE4 or some updated graphics for Revelations HD so they can port the whole series to new platforms. They're getting pretty close to having a version of every main RE game they can port easily, too.

Part of the reason for all these recent HD versions of older RE games in recent years, and I am sure oneo f the reasons REmake 2 was greenlit, is this movement from Capcom to make sure anyone who's interested will be able to play the 'main' Resident Evil series on any platform of their choice, plus extra moola from people who want these games on another console and all that. Some people may find it sleazy or something, but I appreciate Capcom going all in to keep the series easily accessible for anyone and preserving the games for future consoles/generations.

I wish Square Enix would do this. They're really close to having every Final Fantasy up to IX on mobile, but they're missing VIII. I think Vita has all of them up to X if you use PSP and PSone Classics.

Lanrutcon

Rev 1 ain't bad, Rev 2 is fantastic. The campaign was awesome and the Raid mode was good enough to be a solo mp game.

Brhoom

Banned

Stop teasing me Capcom and release RE4 on Switch!!!

I know two people who will buy a Switch just for RE4.

Dusk Golem

I did enjoy Rev2 (Raidmode ��), so I sure will pick this up.

Overall I like Revelations 2 more than Revelations 1 (there's some split from fans on this, but I feel that Revelations 1 is good but not great, has a few stand-out moments and a really good OST but it has some simplified combat and elements from its handheld origins show), but one thing I think Revelations 1 trumps Revelations 2 on is its Raid Mode. Revelations 2 has some improvements to Revelations 1's Raid, but Revelations 1 has much better overall stages I feel PLUS a much better end game.

The final stage of Raid Mode in Revelations 1 is an almost open-world version of the whole ship that Revelations 1 takes place on, it has multiple possible paths to go through, multiple ending points, and has a 'bonus' twist on the final boss of the main game at the deepest part of the stage. It's a really fun thing to work at and a much better over-arching goal than Revelations 2's "Code Red" thing. Rev 2 has some appreciated improvements, like more enemy buff varieties and some of the character skill tree stuff, but I think Revelations 1 ends up winning due to more interesting stages (plus the different difficulty of each stage is a lot more impactful and actually different) and a much better and fun end goal.

It's certain to happen eventually. I'd even guess RE5, RE6, REmake, Zero, and Revelations 1 & 2 will come to Switch eventually.

I had no idea this was coming to current gen. Loved that game on 3DS. Raid mode still is my favorite online experience with a handheld game aside from Mario Kart DS.

Dusk Golem

Did they beef up the polygon count between the versions or is it straight up a 3DS game running higher resolution?

They updated the models and various assets from the 3DS release, as well as up'd the bitrate/redid various audio departments.

They also added a few new costumes, let the costumes you unlocked in Raid Mode be selectable in the main campaign (couldn't do this on 3DS), added a few more characters to Raid, and a few moe unlockables. They also changed a few ranking things on Raid Mode, how you get ranks in Raid is very different on 3DS and the HD version.

The biggest new addition is "Infernal Mode". which is basically a completely remixed version of the game available from the start which changes item/enemy placement to be a lot harder. Remixes the whole game basically.

EctoPrime

Perhaps these versions will put back the ocean that vanished when you look outside in the previous ports but exists on the 3DS.

shmoglish

Overall I like Revelations 2 more than Revelations 1 (there's some split from fans on this, but I feel that Revelations 1 is good but not great, has a few stand-out moments and a really good OST but it has some simplified combat and elements from its handheld origins show), but one thing I think Revelations 1 trumps Revelations 2 on is its Raid Mode. Revelations 2 has some improvements to Revelations 1's Raid, but Revelations 1 has much better overall stages I feel PLUS a much better end game.

The final stage of Raid Mode in Revelations 1 is an almost open-world version of the whole ship that Revelations 1 takes place on, it has multiple possible paths to go through, multiple ending points, and has a 'bonus' twist on the final boss of the main game at the deepest part of the stage. It's a really fun thing to work at and a much better over-arching goal than Revelations 2's "Code Red" thing. Rev 2 has some appreciated improvements, like more enemy buff varieties and some of the character skill tree stuff, but I think Revelations 1 ends up winning due to more interesting stages (plus the different difficulty of each stage is a lot more impactful and actually different) and a much better and fun end goal.

It's certain to happen eventually. I'd even guess RE5, RE6, REmake, Zero, and Revelations 1 & 2 will come to Switch eventually.
Thank you for this great post. The campaign in rev2 was fun, bit trashy and "b" quality, but fun. As long as i get something with a similar quality, I am absolutely happy. And hearing, that the raidmode is better than the one in rev2 is great.

xrnzaaas

Man PS4 must be going for a record of the most RE games released on a single console. I'll play it when it's cheap (and then RER2).

Rev 1 ain't bad, Rev 2 is fantastic. The campaign was awesome and the Raid mode was good enough to be a solo mp game.

tumblr_ksczlyQbeU1qzx4k0o1_500.jpg

Revelations 2 is fucking awesome. It was totally the type of game I wanted from the RE series
and NOT something like RE7...

They updated the models and various assets from the 3DS release, as well as up'd the bitrate/redid various audio departments.

They also added a few new costumes, let the costumes you unlocked in Raid Mode be selectable in the main campaign (couldn't do this on 3DS), added a few more characters to Raid, and a few moe unlockables. They also changed a few ranking things on Raid Mode, how you get ranks in Raid is very different on 3DS and the HD version.

The biggest new addition is "Infernal Mode". which is basically a completely remixed version of the game available from the start which changes item/enemy placement to be a lot harder. Remixes the whole game basically.

Thanks for the info! I only played the 360 HD "remaster", so I don't know the differences. Enjoyed my playthrough immensely and will probably double dip on this one!

Dusk Golem

I know this is just a part of Capcom's port everything campaign, but I hope this means we'll get a Revelations 3. 2 is phenomenal

I'm hoping they make Revelations 3 someday too. I know not everyone loves Revelations 2 and that's understandable, and its low-budget shows in parts, but Revelations 2 blew my expectations away. I remember when it was first revealed despite being a horror fan and Resident Evil being the franchise that got me into horror games, I just didn't find myself excited for it. I got a bit more interested after the Barry reveal, not specifically because of Barry himself (though his inclusion after years didn't hurt), but because of some of the brief footage which showed more interesting looking locales to me like the forest bit. They then started slowly showing off more and more than began to catch my attention more, but I still wasn't really sure what I was going to think of it.

Experiencing each new episode each week as they were released with GAF and the internet was a LOT of fun, and the game ended up being a lot better than I would've expected. Better yet I think pretty much each episode ended up being better than the last, IE on Episode 1 I thought it was good but didn't love it, but I enjoyed episode 2 a lot more, then I loved episode 3 and episode 4. It also helped that I feel Revelations 2 managed to capture a few things the series seemed to have had forgotten in recent years, IE the right level of hamminess in my opinion, an actually likable cast of characters, interesting scenarios and enemies (even if some show the game's low-budget as a couple are reskins of RE6 enemies, but the new enemies were a joy to me), and I enjoyed its gameplay loop and though I wasn't too interested in the stealth aspect before release, I think it worked well enough in the game (it isn't a stealth-focused game, but it's an option in a number of encounters and is a bit gameified).

I'd be interested in what they might do with a Revelations 3, I thought Revelations 1 was good but to be honest it's kind of lower on my favorite RE games chart (though some do like it more than I do), but I quite liked Revelations 2 and would now certainly be up for a third one.

I bet they don't fix that crappy aiming from the previous gen consoles. It was like the analogue stick was 99% dead zone, you were either fully moving or not at all. It was weird since the left stick was way more responsive.

PC version was fine though.

Yuuuup

Absolutely horrid on Wii U in particular

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Liked and finished it on both PC and 3DS but never played Revelations 2 since I can't stand episodic games.

The episodic part was barely noticable though, since the episodes were released one week apart. I just waited and bought it like a full game (excellent game btw).

BaasRed

Banned
Why are people posting in bold red?
I'm an idiot ignore the previous sentence.

Game was good, hopefully getting another sequel after this?

Dusk Golem

OH WHAT.

Capcom just sent out an email about Revelations 1 HD's upcoming port, and teased something completely new in this version of the game.

d4eaf57ecfed57fe95955a8b1e79c444.png

I know that the RE5/RE6 ports recently had slightly new content (Mercenaries Combined in RE5 and the new vehicle control schemes and combined Multiplayer Mode for RE6), but I kind of didn't expect anything new for this Revelations HD Port, let alone a new Raid Mode stage (even if it's just an 'infernal' remix of the final open-world stage as it looks from the tease).

Grumbles because probably like the new "combined" Mercenaries Mode in the recent RE5 port this probably won't come to PC.

Also the email confirms this version of the game will include all the DLC stuff in it (IE, the two bonus characters/some extra guns accessories for Raid Mode).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It's a Resident Evil game. Of course Capcom are going to port it to every new system that comes out. It's par for course for them.

Luminaire

...they're willing to spend $300+tax on a console to play a 13 year old game that is a port of a port and available on practically every system available for $20 or less?

I love RE4 as well but that just seems irresponsible...

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Reading this and the other thread about capcom porting dreamcast games,

I really feel like capcom needs to port Resident Evil 1 from pc and Resident Evil 2 and 3 from pc/dreamcast as a collection that's in 480p.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
We really need RE1+2+3 port with trophy support at this point. Come one Capcom, do it! I was every single mainline RE on my PS4.

I'm really surprised it's not coming to Switch, considering it was originally a portable game. I never beat it, but I did enjoy what I played of it, so it's good that Capcom is giving it a little love.

...they're willing to spend $300+tax on a console to play a 13 year old game that is a port of a port and available on practically every system available for $20 or less?
Are these other platforms compact, making them great for on the go play, with little setup involved? I doubt Resi 4 is their sole reason to buy a Switch. They're probably interested in Nintendo's exclusives, but need something to tide them over in between big releases. AFAIK, Resi 4 fans love replaying that game.

Luminaire

I'm really surprised it's not coming to Switch, considering it was originally a portable game. I never beat it, but I did enjoy what I played of it, so it's good that Capcom is giving it a little love.

Are these other platforms compact, making them great for on the go play, with little setup involved? I doubt Resi 4 is their sole reason to buy a Switch. They're probably interested in Nintendo's exclusives, but need something to tide them over in between big releases. AFAIK, Resi 4 fans love replaying that game.

It'd be a great fit for the switch, I was rather curious at the "just" for RE4 comment though. I've purchased RE4 on every console I own basically, and would likely get it for switch as well. I just don't think someone should spend $350+ on one version of the game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just need REmake 2 and REmake 3.
That's gotta be their plan right?

Top Bottom