• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War - Road to E3 2017 (IGN)

vivekTO

This is an oddly and poorly produced video from IGN.

1. They didn't show a CGI trailer last year and show gameplay behind closed door. They played the game on stage as a live demo.

2. Kratos has always been a father throughout the God of War series.

3. It annoys me how every video game press outlet has associated any sort of character bonding in a video to "Oh, they're taking cues from The Last of Us"

4. Stop starting sentences with "So".

Yup, they botched the intro with that "CGI" thing.Also don't remember if there is any behind closed door demo.

Well compared to GoW it is, why do Sony want all their first party titles to be so similar gameplay wise? I know that's what's hot right now but eh.

How could Horizon gameplay is similar to TLOU or uncharted, i mean Could you explain it a bit .

Well we have to see than, cause i don't remember that if kratos even fight that much in previous God of war games.

God of war 3 had up to 40-50 enemies on screen at the same time, but that happened once in the entire game I think (in the Tartarus).

Lol at the cgi trailer btw.

vivekTO

God of war 3 had up to 40-50 enemies on screen at the same time, but that happened once in the entire game I think (in the Tartarus).

Yeah, i mean how would you fight with hordes of enemies with Handed weapons like Axe or Swords , unless untill there are weapons which can be Extended for long range swirling attack like Blades of Chaos... wait a min.. omg!!

Not the best video IGN has done. I mean get the info correct.

They didn't show a CGI trailer last year at E3, it was live gameplay on stage, also Kratos has always been a father, not just in this one.

I'm really looking forward to this new GoW, the change up is very welcome after 6 games, makes it feel fresh again and it's looking fantastic with the highly detailed characters and environments. The musical score should be pretty epic too.

They're all slower paced third person action games, light years away from what GoW was, why make the game more of the same when it was pretty unique in Sony's first party lineup?

You keep talking about God of War as if it's Bayonetta or something, when it isn't. It's pacing wasn't fast, nor was that what made it unique in Sony's first party lineup.

.Also don't remember if there is any behind closed door demo.

He showed that demo behind closed doors to journalists and confirmed that what they saw at E3 is only 2% of what that section has in terms of content and secrets:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207296445&postcount=1260
The demo focused on the exploration side of the game rather than just the combat. GOW is no longer a bland classical hack'n slash but now it is an advanture game with RPG elements.

I don't know if he showed this behind closed doors but I like how he made Kratos throwing his axe on an enemy sticking him to a rock, and you can continue the game without it by punches or another weapon and when you want to call it back, even at the middle of the game, you can see it coming back to you from the place and direction you left it specially if you are in higher grounds. Cory made the programemrs crazy by asking this but they accepted and made a greta code to store such data in the memory.

CGI? He said them shits twice.
IGN continues to be the gold standard lol.

All I hope is that it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Too late. I'm pretty sure no bewbs/sex mini games have been confirmed :(
Doesn't mean the game won't be bloody fantastic though.

vivekTO

He showed that demo behind closed doors to journalists and confirmed that what they saw at E3 is only 2% of what that section has in terms of content and secrets:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207296445&postcount=1260
The demo focused on the exploration side of the game rather than just the combat. GOW is no longer a bland classical hack'n slash but now it is an advanture game with RPG elements.

How would you come to that "2%" Quote, What I thought was that they showed the same demo behind closed door , but with a lot more exploration and explaining.

I don't know if he showed this behind closed doors but I like how he made Kratos throwing his axe on an enemy sticking him to a rock, and you can continue the game without it by punches or another weapon and when you want to call it back, even at the middle of the game, you can see it coming back to you from the place and direction you left it specially if you are in higher grounds. Cory made the programemrs crazy by asking this but they accepted and made a greta code to store such data in the memory.

Yup , Those axe combos and mid air stomp is really great to watch.

How would you come to that "2%" Quote, What I thought was that they showed the same demo behind closed door , but with a lot more exploration and explaining.

Yup , Those axe combos and mid air stomp is really great to watch.

It is really known.
I think you missed all the infos about this game.

It is hard to find almost 1 year old infos scattered around.
By googling I couldn't find the exact place. This person highlists it too: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207567357&postcount=50
Ask him if you want.

I think it was a video interview after people starting looking for secrets and he said they barely found 2% of secrets in this demo.
Maybe the IGN E3 video interveiw with him.
Feel free to check if you have time.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OléGunner;237362538 said:
CGI? He said them shits twice.
IGN continues to be the gold standard lol.

Shows how good the segment was that a big reputable (puke) gaming site like IGN got it confused for CGI.

vivekTO

It is really known.
I think you missed all the infos about this game.

It is hard to find almost 1 year old infos scattered around.
By googling I couldn't find the exact place. This person highlists it too: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207567357&postcount=50
Ask him if you want.

I think it was a video interview after people starting looking for secrets and he said they barely found 2% of secrets in this demo.
Maybe the IGN E3 video interveiw with him.
Feel free to check if you have time.

Ok, you are talking about the Easter eggs and hidden content , i thought you were implying that the demo we see at E3 presentation is only 2% of what was shown behind the door.

Yeah, there are lots of hidden easter eggs in the game , and cory himself comfirmed this on twitter , like this Lady
Code:
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/zbszx7lbzstj.jpg[/IMG]

looking forward to these Environments as well
eaan4ql3vsn5.jpg

amo8cdq4mssi.jpg

rNaZIQo.jpg

Ok, you are talking about the Easter eggs and hidden content , i thought you were implying that the demo we see at E3 presentation is only 2% of what was shown behind the door.

Yeah, there are lots of hidden easter eggs in the game , and cory himself comfirmed this on twitter , like this Lady
Code:

looking forward to these Environments as well

Well, that demo didn't show even 1% of the game: https://twitter.com/corybarlog/status/758221340662898688

The game must be very rich and varied.

Hopefully this E3 Demo will take place in one of those new areas, finger crossed.

Also The game environments are very dynamic and alive and you can interact with everything much dynamic the environment elements will be: I loved the fan like plant. You can cut vines by throwing the axe to create bridges and walkways (this axe is very useful even for retrieving far objects). The flora is either: a foe attacking you or you can regain health from it:
http://i.imgur.com/uCaumMb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MwLn18f.jpg

This reminds me of the flora of Xen in Half-Life where plants attack you or light the path or heal you.
The plants seems to be the titans of this game. Look how tiny Kratos is compared to them. There are leaves that are basically the ground you walk on.
This is surely very demanding to achieve.

The artworks show that area. I am sure they will show this.

Because the artworks and ideas seem very impressive.

I really hope they add Multiplayer (after the multiplayer job lisitng). A good way to keep the game alive long enough in such lush environments.
Multiplayer won't hurt it at all. It did neither for Uncharted games nor TLOU.

We can safely say that last year's most surprising and impressive reveal was GOW in terms of tech, direction, suspense, artistic and level design etc... the symphony, the direction, showing Kratos, the new settings, ideas and gameplay.

I wonder if they can top that this year or there will be another contender to take the crown.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
Show me a big battle. I wanna see how the combat and camera work when you are fighting 5-6 enemies at the same time. Also, show a bit of platforming and exploration. Prove that the game still has GoW's DNA.

You have summed it up pretty well. Will add release date/window to it.

Code:

There is a lot of potential for some incredible boss fights.

b1SMqCa.gif

wVsBEYS.gif

Giant Snakes...

giphy.gif

Something tells me spiderman will be this years holiday title for sony with god of war taking that covetted feburary spot that horizon held

GermanZepp

Something tells me spiderman will be this years holiday title for sony with god of war taking that covetted feburary spot that horizon held

No. This year is GT Sport, its the best candidate., and maybe Kcnak 2 or Dreams.

Detroit, GoW and Ni No Kuni 2 , - 2018 -

Spiderman, Days Gone, TLOU2, Matterfall, Death Stranding - unlikely on fall 2018 or 2019.

It would be really cool and epic if Kratos can wield two axes and do many combos with both.
I hope there are so many weapons that you can upgrade and not just the axe.

No. This year is GT Sport, its the best candidate., and maybe Kcnak 2 or Dreams.

Detroit, GoW and Ni No Kuni 2 , - 2018 -

Spiderman, Days Gone, TLOU2, Matterfall, Death Stranding - unlikely on fall 2018 or 2019.

Sunset Overdrive was released in 2014, after 3 years in development and they started working on Spider-Man right after that, so there is a very good chance Spider-Man could be out this year (3 year development, plus capitalise on the new Spider-Man movie) or early next year, if there is a small delay.

Sunset Overdrive was released in 2014, after 3 years in development and they started working on Spider-Man right after that, so there is a very good chance Spider-Man could be out this year (3 year development, plus capitalise on the new Spider-Man movie) or early next year, if there is a small delay.

You forgot that released Ratchet And Clank meanwhile last year so this took them time too. No way Spider-Man is going to release this year with so scarce material shown. The game is still working title.

What is Judges Week??

A pre-E3 event where a member of each media outlet, nominated as a "Judge" is invited weeks before E3 to play and vote on the official "Game of E3" awards. Not outlet-specific awards, but rather the primary E3 award.

For a game to be eligible for voting, it must be playable. Therefore most of the time announcement-games that are not playable by the press will not be at Judges Week.

vivekTO

A pre-E3 event where a member of each media outlet, nominated as a "Judge" is invited weeks before E3 to play and vote on the official "Game of E3" awards. Not outlet-specific awards, but rather the primary E3 award.

For a game to be eligible for voting, it must be playable. Therefore most of the time announcement-games that are not playable by the press will not be at Judges Week.

Well Nightengale already answered but i can say it was 36 games this year according to Brandon Jones from Easy Allies.

Thanks For the info.

You forgot that released Ratchet And Clank meanwhile last year so this took them time too. No way Spider-Man is going to release this year with so scarce material shown. The game is still working title.

They also released Fuse in 2013 while working on Sunset Overdrive. They have a pretty big team, so probably split the team to take on a few projects. I guess we will see how far along it is when E3 arrives.

jayu26

Brandin from IGN responded to me about how he meant the beginning of the demo, and realized how it might be confusing the way he said it. I reminded him that it seemlessly transitions to gameplay.

Then Cory Balrog (director on God of War) responded saying it was all real-time / pure game engine. Can't wait for E3 heh.

https://twitter.com/BrandinTyrrel/status/865697288676548609
What are changes they fix the video? In the interest of disseminating correct information.

Brandin from IGN responded to me about how he meant the beginning of the demo, and realized how it might be confusing the way he said it. I reminded him that it seemlessly transitions to gameplay.

Then Cory Balrog (director on God of War) responded saying it was all real-time / pure game engine. Can't wait for E3 heh.

It still has to make SSM feel good that people actually think what they showed was CG. With that said, i'm not really sure how IGN could've confused that for CG. Not because it doesn't look good, but rather because there's never a cut. If it were CG then there'd need to be a point where there was a cut to black to transition back into the game engine, and that's not there. It's all done with a single shot like the whole game is supposed to be done in.

He still insists that there CGI? Cory said since last year there is no custscene and everything is seamless in transition eitehr when you play or when you watch.

It still has to make SSM feel good that people actually think what they showed was CG. With that said, i'm not really sure how IGN could've confused that for CG. Not because it doesn't look good, but rather because there's never a cut. If it were CG then there'd need to be a point where there was a cut to black to transition back into the game engine, and that's not there. It's all done with a single shot like the whole game is supposed to be done in.

Exactly.

No more walkthroughs.

I want a super epic badass trailer like God of War 3 trailer. Shit got me hyped beyond reason.

This is by far the best GOW trailer ever and one of the best trailers in general. I can't remember how many times I watched it or the persons to whom I made watch.
I remember calling Todd Papy (Ascension director) whether they can make a trailer as epic as this. He told me that such types of trailers need so much time and dedication to be so well orchestrated.
In fact nothing from that trailer made it to the final game.

Slightly OT but that impressed me about Lost Odyssey on the 360. CG to gameplay transition without a cut to black.

I forgot about that video. Thanks.

@vivekTO, I witdhraw what I said before about the game being 30 FPS.
This is within the line of the previous GOW games (not remastered) where the framerates are unlocked. So this is between 34-37-40 FPS which is very impressive giving such visuals and I expect even more optimizations for the final game especially if the base game is finished and they are left with only refinement. and on PS4 PRO I expect even higher FPS.
GOW will set another benchmark for this gen again.

This is by far the best GOW trailer ever and one of the best trailers in general. I can't remember how many times I watched it or the persons to whom I made watch.
I remember calling Todd Papy (Ascension director) whether they can make a traielr as epic as this. He told me that such types of trailers need so much time and dedication to be so well orchestrated.
In fact nothing from that trailer made it to the final game.
I agree that it is one of the best trailers ever made. I rank it next to MGS2 reveal. GOW III reveal works best, even though you said nothing from it made it to the final game. In fact it kinda does. You can see the Boots of Hermes in action where Kratos run sideways, and you can see the gory fatality he does on the Minotaur. Then you can see him grab an enemy and use it as a battering ram (another cool feature). After he gets piled on, he uses Nemean Cestus (Hercules' weapon) and smashes through the horde. All of these items are being showcased, including the fact that the ability to ride a Cyclops has returned for GOW II. Finally, he rides a harpy and you realize the game took place on Gaia. All these made it into the game, even though the particular setpiece sequence didn't.

Top Bottom