• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

threadripper_1-100722ztsv4.jpg

AMD [YouTube] —— Introducing AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™: Indisputable Processing Supremacy

AMD [YouTube] —— AMD EPYC™ Processors

AMD [YouTube] —— The AMD EPYC™ Story

Guru3D.com —— AMD Financial Analyst Day Presentation - Epyc - Mobile - Threadripper - Vega

RedGamingTech [YouTube] —— AMD 16 Core Threadripper | Vega Performance | 32 Core Epyc & More Announced

DEE BATCH [YouTube] —— AMD 2017 Financial Analyst Day Live Stream !!! Vega revealed!!!

AMD 2017 Financial Analyst Day - Archived Presentations and Webcasts
http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-presentations

.pdf AMD —— AMD 2017 FAD - High-Performance PCs

.pdf AMD —— AMD 2017 FAD - Back in High Performance… To Stay

.pdf AMD —— AMD 2017 FAD - Financial Roadmap

.pdf AMD —— AMD 2017 FAD - The Dawning of a New Era in the Datacenter

.pdf AMD —— AMD 2017 FAD - Radeon Rising

.pdf AMD —— AMD 2017 FAD - Corporate Strategy

TechPowerUp —— AMD to Continue Working With TSMC, GLOBALFOUNDRIES on 7 nm Ryzen

Barron's —— AMD Unveils ‘Epyc’ Server Chip, ‘ThreadRipper’ 16-Core PC Chip

Barron's —— The Biggest Winner: AMD Advances 11.6%

TechPowerUp —— AMD Ryzen Mobile Solutions to Launch at the End of 2017

HotHardware —— AMD Ryzen Mobile To Marry Zen With Vega For Big Performance Gains

TechPowerUp —— AMD Confirms Their Threadripper Line-up

TechPowerUp —— AMD Announces Their Ryzen PRO Line-up for Workstations

ServeTheHome (STH) —— AMD EPYC New Details on the Emerging Server Platform

AMD —— AMD EPYC Site

TechPowerUp —— AMD Announces High Performance Computing Platform - "Naples" is EPYC

HotHardware —— AMD Naples Zen Platform Makes ‘EPYC’ Debut For Data Center Market

derfledderer [YouTube] —— My Ryzen RAM Review! 16GB and 32GB

LamboTechnology [YouTube] —— Ryzen Memory Guide, TridentZ 64GB Hynix 2rank on Aorus K7 (F4-3200C16Q-GTZ) in 32GB mode

Threadripper not a need, but I want.
Heh. Interested to see how both companies' upcoming HEDT parts are positioned.

·feist·, on the AMD financial analyst stream Jim Anderson kept showing versions of those hexagon graphs you were posting before. That kind of performance depiction may become more common now. ^^
Yeah, it's a simple and effective way of communicating the performance differences. It should be helpful for those who view reading several graphs, across several reviews as somewhat abstract.

OmegaX06

Running 2500k at 4.5 Ghz with 16GB DDR3 2133 driving a Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme.

Slouch my ass.

And 16 core Ryzen. drools

Its certainly still a viable CPU, but the lack of hyper threading will cause stutter/much lower min FPS in many games. I recently ugpraded from a 2500k to a 2600k @ 4.4ghz and the difference was very noticeable. I think I'll be sticking with this CPU until 6 or 8 core becomes mainstream.

Newboi

Its certainly still a viable CPU, but the lack of hyper threading will cause stutter/much lower min FPS in many games. I recently ugpraded from a 2500k to a 2600k @ 4.4ghz and the difference was very noticeable. I think I'll be sticking with this CPU until 6 or 8 core becomes mainstream.

You don't consider the Ryzen 6 and 8 core pricing mainstream?

Anyway, I'm very interested in Ryzen's HEDT line. I feel like with the Ryzen chips' clock speed limitations, we already know how fast they will ultimately end up being, but having competitive pricing for 10+ core chips will be awesome to see.

Running 2500k at 4.5 Ghz with 16GB DDR3 2133 driving a Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme.

Slouch my ass.

And 16 core Ryzen. drools

If Ryzen is supposedly bad for games because it's 7% behind an i7 7700K an old 2500K should be considered a crime against gameplay.

"AMD Just Filed for a Ton of New Trademarks (Wholly-molly) Kyzen, Epyc, Pharos, CoreAmp, Promethean, Aragon"
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMD_Stock/comments/64gtpy/amd_just_filed_for_a_ton_of_new_trademarks/

submitted 1 month ago by futureshock2016

So taking a look at AMD's recent trademark applications, I found some ones that may be of interest besides the expected ones.

2017-03-31 Radeon RX Vega https://trademarks.justia.com/873/93/radeon-rx-87393557.html

Though they filed the trademark for the vega logo 2017-02-14 https://trademarks.justia.com/873/35/v-87335646.html

Maybe they were thinking about another name, before GDC and changed course? Unable to find anything about the other trademark Promethean filed just before GDC...

Word Mark PROMETHEAN Filing date 2017-02-24 https://trademarks.justia.com/873/49/promethean-87349136.html

COREAMP https://trademarks.justia.com/873/49/coreamp-87349160.html

EPYC https://trademarks.justia.com/873/90/epyc-87390565.html

PHAROS https://trademarks.justia.com/873/90/pharos-87390614.html

ARAGON https://trademarks.justia.com/873/90/aragon-87390672.html

ZENSO https://trademarks.justia.com/873/90/zenso-87390678.html
Bvllish 1 point 1 month ago

Good work mate. I think you left out the Kyzen TM link: https://trademarks.justia.com/873/90/kyzen-87390639.html

·feist·;234081779 said:
Somebody with a YouTube account ask him when he got his, because nobody on the AMD sub-Reddit (including me) has gotten anything from Cryorig regarding these brackets shipping out.
BTW, if you got a Cryorig cooler for your Ryzen build, they're finally shipping out brackets en masse:
FNExLJ4.jpg
Amazon just shipped my 1600 so I immediately applied for one.
Have either of you received your mount kits from Cryorig yet?

·feist·;237291597 said:
Have either of you received your mount kits from Cryorig yet?
Got mine like 2 days after they sent the e-mail. They might be doing it in batches, since someone on Reddit who got a Cryorig cooler at the beginning of the month didn't get his bracket until this week, IIRC.

joesiv

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but there was this whitepaper, sponsored by AMD, which gives a view of the "pin" side of the EPYC CPU.
https://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-05/TIRIAS-AMD-Single-Socket-Server.pdf

While not the ThreadRipper, I found it interesting how the pin contacts actually have a distinct split between the two sides. AMD said that the X299 socket ThreadRipper Cores were compatible with the X399 socket used for EPYC... could this be how?

EPYC looked HUGE, but what if physically the ThreadRipper was actually just literally half the EPYC package? Half the memory busses, half the physical cores, half the package?

I guess theoretically you could put a ThreadRipper in one side of the X399 socket... ?

maybe... lol

sikkinixx

What's a good motherboard, mATX, to pair with a Ryzen 5? Trying to keep costs reasonable and the 1500x is ~$245 cdn and most motherboards look to be around $100-130cdn. All of them seem to have HDMI/VGA on them for some reason (Ryzen doesn't have integrated graphics no?) and lots of features I really don't get. One ASRock one has USB-C which is kinda nice for something I probably won't upgrade for 3-4 years. I just ordered an 8gb 580 to replace my 460GTX and was thinking of a Ryzen to replace my 2500k for a full AMD build, something I haven't done since the 9600 all-in-wonder + Athalon days!

Paragon

I don't know if it's of interest to anyone, but the ECC memory I've been waiting on finally showed up this week.
They must have had very low stocks/production, because one of the DIMMs has a manufacturing date of late 2016, while the other three in the kit are dated just a couple of weeks ago.
I have had absolutely zero issues running 4x8GB UDIMMs at their rated 2666MT/s speed and 1.2V in a Crosshair VI Hero.
Just plugged them in and it selected the correct speed automatically with the 1107 UEFI - and that's not even with the 1.0.0.5 AGESA update. (the upcoming memory-focused update)
AIDA64 reports that ECC is available and in use.

EPYC looked HUGE, but what if physically the ThreadRipper was actually just literally half the EPYC package? Half the memory busses, half the physical cores, half the package?
That was my assumption when they announced that ThreadRipper had four memory channels.
As I understood it, it's not really 8-channel or 4-channel memory; it's 4x2-channel and 2x2-channel.
The Zen platform really seems like it's built around these 4-core CCXes which can be packaged together onto much larger chips.

I have to say that I am curious to see what sort of clockspeeds people will be able to reach when overclocking the ThreadRipper CPUs, and what the pricing is going to be.
I've been more surprised at how many things I use which do max out the 1700X, than how many don't take advantage of it. I've been very happy with the upgrade from an i5-2500K.

I'm not planning on replacing the 1700X any time soon, but it almost makes me wish I had waited.
Then again, in the past few weeks I've actually had a lot of problems with my old i5-2500K system, so I would probably have had to replace that before the X299 hardware is available anyway.

popo

What's a good motherboard, mATX, to pair with a Ryzen 5? Trying to keep costs reasonable and the 1500x is ~$245 cdn and most motherboards look to be around $100-130cdn. All of them seem to have HDMI/VGA on them for some reason (Ryzen doesn't have integrated graphics no?) and lots of features I really don't get. One ASRock one has USB-C which is kinda nice for something I probably won't upgrade for 3-4 years. I just ordered an 8gb 580 to replace my 460GTX and was thinking of a Ryzen to replace my 2500k for a full AMD build, something I haven't done since the 9600 all-in-wonder + Athalon days!

They support older chips that are apu and Ryzen 3 awill have apu when they come out.

Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and ASrock all have fans and complaints. Pick the one with the best features or the brand you trust most. Not much between any of the b350 boards.

dhlt25

go with asus if you can, they seems to have better BIOS support. I went with the Gigabyte and the BIOS stuff is pretty limited, also it died on me after like 2 days :( waiting for a replacement from amazon now

sikkinixx

They support older chips that are apu and Ryzen 3 awill have apu when they come out.

Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and ASrock all have fans and complaints. Pick the one with the best features or the brand you trust most. Not much between any of the b350 boards.

go with asus if you can, they seems to have better BIOS support. I went with the Gigabyte and the BIOS stuff is pretty limited, also it died on me after like 2 days :( waiting for a replacement from amazon now

Thanks for the advice. I've always bought Asus stuff before so I might go with that.

Did Watch Dogs 2 get a Ryzen update at some point? Either way, ~60-80% CPU usage across 16 threads @ 4GHz:

TheBuffGamer —— R7 1800x / GTX 1080Ti- Watchdogs 2- Ultra - 2560x1080

AMD —— AMD Optimizing C/C++ Compiler

AOCC Compiler suite

The AOCC compiler system is a high performance, production quality code generation tool. The AOCC environment provides the developer the essential choices when building and optimizing C, C++, and Fortran applications targeting 32-bit and 64-bit Linux® platforms. The AOCC compiler system offers a high level of advanced optimizations, multi-threading, and processor support that includes global optimization, vectorization, interprocedural analyses, loop transformations, and code generation. Also highly optimized libraries, which extracts the optimal performance from each x86 processor core, are used. The AOCC Compiler Suite simplifies and accelerates development and tuning for x86, AMD64 (AMD® x86-64 Architecture), and Intel64 (Intel® x86-64 Architecture) applications.

AOCC v1.0: First release of AOCC compiler suite

•Support for AMD Family 17h processors (”Zen" core)
•Extends LLVM 4.0 (llvm.org) with enhancements and optimizations
•Improved vectorization, high-level optimizer and code generation
•Improved whole program optimization
•Enhanced and well supported DragonEgg Fortran frontend
•Tested on RHEL 7.2, SLES 12 sp1, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS​

·feist·;237091929 said:
Barron's —— Intel Refutes Rumor of Licensing AMD Graphics Technology

Did you ever happen to disconnect and reconnect the CMOS battery, PSU plug, CPU or motherboard power plugs before you RMA'd?

Some Gigabyte AM4s seem susceptible to soft-bricking, which can be reset by disconnecting the above items.

Got mine like 2 days after they sent the e-mail. They might be doing it in batches, since someone on Reddit who got a Cryorig cooler at the beginning of the month didn't get his bracket until this week, IIRC.
Submitted immediately at launch, and I've yet to receive mine.

I've had a poor experience with Cryorig's support. No doubt I'll need to contact them once again, as opposed to there being some pro-active response from their end.

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but there was this whitepaper, sponsored by AMD, which gives a view of the "pin" side of the EPYC CPU.
https://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-05/TIRIAS-AMD-Single-Socket-Server.pdf
Thanks. I need to work on how best to catalogue the server/HPC developments in this thread.

I don't know if it's of interest to anyone, but the ECC memory I've been waiting on finally showed up this week.
They must have had very low stocks/production, because one of the DIMMs has a manufacturing date of late 2016, while the other three in the kit are dated just a couple of weeks ago.
I have had absolutely zero issues running 4x8GB UDIMMs at their rated 2666MT/s speed and 1.2V in a Crosshair VI Hero.
Just plugged them in and it selected the correct speed automatically with the 1107 UEFI - and that's not even with the 1.0.0.5 AGESA update. (the upcoming memory-focused update)
Thanks for sharing.

The public release of 1201 is now available on Asus's site. While it's still only 1.0.0.4a I'm going to flash to it very shortly despite already being on 1107.

IIRC, Elmor @ Asus mentioned they are apparently going directly to 1.0.0.6, and perhaps skipping 1.0.0.5 altogether, as soon as AMD gives them the okay to release it.

Paragon

·feist·;237338916 said:
Did Watch Dogs 2 get a Ryzen update at some point? Either way, ~60-80% CPU usage across 16 threads @ 4GHz: TheBuffGamer —— R7 1800x / GTX 1080Ti- Watchdogs 2- Ultra - 2560x1080
It's been a while since I last tried the game, but it does seem like it's doing a better job using all available cores/threads now.
The workload is generally very evenly distributed across all of them.

CPU usage has never been the main problem for me with Watch Dogs 2 though.
It's ironic, since it's the game that was bundled with my GTX 1070 purchase, but every time I try playing it I wish that I had a GPU which is 2-3x faster.
I think it's a pretty good looking game when things are nearly maxed out, but not once I turn everything right down to get it running acceptably at 3440x1440.

·feist·;237338916 said:
Thanks for sharing.
The public release of 1201 is now available on Asus's site. While it's still only 1.0.0.4a I'm going to flash to it very shortly despite already being on 1107.
IIRC, Elmor @ Asus mentioned they are apparently going directly to 1.0.0.6, and perhaps skipping 1.0.0.5 altogether, as soon as AMD gives them the okay to release it.
I think they said that the main change in 1201 is just compatibility with many peripheral devices; e.g. certain keyboards not working in the UEFI. So I was just going to wait for the next update with newer AGESA code.
I was not aware that they might skip 1.0.0.5. I am tempted to try pushing things and see if this RAM will run at a higher speed once the newer AGESA update is released, but I'm just happy to have four sticks running at 2666MT/s, as even that was in question back when the platform launched.

·feist·;237340212 said:
I can't wait to see what these are.
If they're a 4c/8t CPU (one CCX) with a Vega integrated GPU and FreeSync display, that could be very compelling compared to an Intel offering.
Intel's integrated graphics still aren't really enough for a lot of games, but I'm also not in the market to spend thousands on an NVIDIA gaming notebook.
These could be a much better option for gamers if they are at or near the price of devices with Intel integrated graphics.
And as with Ryzen on the desktop, ECC support should appeal to professionals rather than buying extremely expensive workstation notebooks with Xeons and Quadros.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed

That was my assumption when they announced that ThreadRipper had four memory channels.
As I understood it, it's not really 8-channel or 4-channel memory; it's 4x2-channel and 2x2-channel.
The Zen platform really seems like it's built around these 4-core CCXes which can be packaged together onto much larger chips.

I have to say that I am curious to see what sort of clockspeeds people will be able to reach when overclocking the ThreadRipper CPUs, and what the pricing is going to be.
I've been more surprised at how many things I use which do max out the 1700X, than how many don't take advantage of it. I've been very happy with the upgrade from an i5-2500K.

I'm not planning on replacing the 1700X any time soon, but it almost makes me wish I had waited.
Then again, in the past few weeks I've actually had a lot of problems with my old i5-2500K system, so I would probably have had to replace that before the X299 hardware is available anyway.

Which brand did you receive (ECC) ? I tested 2 different kits of Kingstone ECC on Prime X370 PRO and = no boot

Datschge

Ryzen 3 won't have an iGPU, Ryzen Mobile will. The desktop models with iGPU (which I expect we'll see after Ryzen Mobile) will have a model name ending on G (in place of the current occasional X, called power suffix in the following chart).
258RlaA.jpg

Paragon

Which brand did you receive (ECC) ? I tested 2 different kits of Kingstone ECC on Prime X370 PRO and = no boot
It's this kit from Crucial: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct4k8g4wfd8266
There are many different types of ECC memory and Ryzen has very specific requirements. It will only work with unbuffered DIMMs for example. (UDIMM/EUDIMM)
I forget if there were other requirements too, as it was about a month ago that I ordered the kit. It may also require dual-ranked memory.

joesiv

Yeah I figured they'd use half the pins, but the full pin contact count would still be there, so it'd be socket compatible, but I didn't think the actual physical package could be cut in half. Seeing the distinctive two sides of the pinout was interesting. If you could actually use just half the physical package (Thread Ripper) on the same X399 socket would be strange though, since the HSF would have nothing under half of it. Interestingly the way the LGA socket clip works holding down the CPU package that's only half the physical size would actually work.

Ty4on

Ryzen mobile could be really exiting. If nothing else because Intel parts with turbo boost are really expensive.

I wonder if they are going to push the boundries and give us 4c8t 17w or 8c16t 45w parts.

selo

Hey guys, I'm planning on bulding my PC and had some concerns. Are the issues with the bios and compatiblity solved? Or will i have to update bios? Is there a mobo where i dont need to mess with the bios?

This is my current shopping list:
bvuKmJi.png

Thoughts, recommendations?

I already have hdd, keyboard/mouse/gtx970 on my older pc which imma reuse, heh.

Thanks
Not sure if this is the correct thread though, sorry if it isn't

popo

Hey guys, I'm planning on bulding my PC and had some concerns. Are the issues with the bios and compatiblity solved? Or will i have to update bios? Is there a mobo where i dont need to mess with the bios?

Bios issues still persist - depending on what ram you have - but most boards will ship with old bios anyway, so you are likely going to have to flash. It isn't too hard these days.

Paragon

This is my current shopping list: http://i.imgur.com/bvuKmJi.png
The only thing I'd suggest is that if the price difference is small, go for a 3600MT/s memory kit from Corsair.
Supposedly all of their 3600MT/s kits are using Samsung B-die chips, which are the best for Ryzen at the moment.
The difference was only an extra $20 here to get the 3600C19 kit, and I did get B-die RAM.
It's not a guarantee though, so if the price difference is a lot, it's probably not worthwhile paying a lot extra - especially since the AGESA 1.0.0.5 or 1.0.0.6 updates should improve memory compatibility with other types of RAM.

Bios issues still persist - depending on what ram you have - but most boards will ship with old bios anyway, so you are likely going to have to flash. It isn't too hard these days.
I wouldn't say there are "issues" - nothing like stability problems or features not working - only that you may not be able to run all memory sticks at their rated speed yet. Other than that, no issues at all with my C6H.
The only thing I would recommend is that if you have another computer, download the UEFI update onto a USB drive and update it via the UEFI utility the first time you boot it, before doing anything else.
I would always avoid updating via a Windows utility.

sikkinixx

I'm assuming most on here would agree the 1600 is worth the premium over the 1500x? This "cheaper" build of mine keeps adding up but I likely won't have the money to do it again for some time so I should probably make it count. I'm up to $750 for video card, motherboard, CPU and ram (can) which is stretching me out.

Renekton

I'm assuming most on here would agree the 1600 is worth the premium over the 1500x? This "cheaper" build of mine keeps adding up but I likely won't have the money to do it again for some time so I should probably make it count. I'm up to $750 for video card, motherboard, CPU and ram (can) which is stretching me out.
Yeah the sweet spot of 1600 is worth going over the hump.

saunderez

bvuKmJi.png

I already have hdd, keyboard/mouse/gtx970 on my older pc which imma reuse, heh.

Thanks
Not sure if this is the correct thread though, sorry if it isn't

Kind of...but not really. I have that RAM and I have that RAM running at 3200Mhz stable on a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 alongside a 1700 running at 3.6Ghz. But it won't do it with just the XMP profile, it will attempt RAM training 5 or so times and then default to the base speed. What I found did get it to work was bumping up the DDR voltage from its XMP value of 3.5 to 3.6 or 3.7 and setting the multiplier manually - though it may work without the multiplier set. I've also bumped up the SOC by a tiny amount but not sure if that is necessary either.

And even though I have that RAM and it runs at 3200Mhz, its completely possible you will get the same RAM with chips manufactured by a different company or from a different batch. Mine is the Hynix M die which seems to be fairly reliable, and theres the Samsung B die which doesn't require fucking around.

Paragon

Absolutely. That $30 gets you an extra 2 CPU cores, which means it has the potential to be 50% faster, and will handle multi-tasking much better; e.g. 4 cores for a game and 2 cores for background tasks.
Comparing to Intel, the best you can get in that price range is a 4c/4t CPU. A 6c/12t R5-1600 is a big upgrade over that, while the 4c/8t R5-1500X is not.

Yes, easily.
For users who have to strictly adhere to a lower budget, the current 4c/8t R5s effectively render all/most current similarly-priced locked Core i5s and locked/unlocked Core i3s questionable purchases.

In your case of 4c vs 6c, the current and long-term performance improvement you'll experience is worth it. The overall real world increase between the 4c/8t and 6c/12t is much larger than the jump from an R5 1600/1600x to an R7 8-core. That's ranging from gaming and general daily use, to productivity and heavy multi-tasking.

You'd be hard pressed to find another PC component that would give such a tangible increase for such a low price difference.

http://i.imgur.com/bvuKmJi.png
That RAM has been recommended by AMD themselves, though that doesn't guarantee full speed on all boards.

With Ryzen (at least for now), it's generally a good idea to update to the latest stable UEFI/BIOS release from your motherboard manufacturer. It's not a complicated process, either:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

Lawrence Timme [YouTube] —— How [To] Update Bios On Asus Prime X370 Pro AM4 motherboard + Ryzen Performance Increases

EZ Flash 3
Flash the latest BIOS via the internet — from within the BIOS!

bios3.png

Be sure to update in the UEFI and not within Windows. Also, have a look at all the owner experiences here which span from early March until present:

Overclock.net —— My experience with the Asus PRIME X370-Pro

You'll find most AMD boards are more likely to run their RAM at full speed when setting the clocks manually, as opposed to using XMP or DOCP profiles (MSI's "A-XMP" option being the largest exception).

Ryzen mobile could be really exiting. If nothing else because Intel parts with turbo boost are really expensive.

I wonder if they are going to push the boundries and give us 4c8t 17w or 8c16t 45w parts.
With how efficient Zen is, I think a number of people would be interested in 6- and 8-core options for mobile workstations.

Top-end 45w 4c/8t with highest clocks for gaming and normal single-thread PC usage.
Top-end 45w 8c/16t iGPU-less part(s) for Clevo/Sager-type mobile desktop power user builds.

It's been a while since I last tried the game, but it does seem like it's doing a better job using all available cores/threads now.
The workload is generally very evenly distributed across all of them.

CPU usage has never been the main problem for me with Watch Dogs 2 though.
It's ironic, since it's the game that was bundled with my GTX 1070 purchase, but every time I try playing it I wish that I had a GPU which is 2-3x faster.
I think it's a pretty good looking game when things are nearly maxed out, but not once I turn everything right down to get it running acceptably at 3440x1440.
It's one of the titles which performed the worst on Ryzen during R7 launch, which was used by many detractors who didn't seem to ever question why the game behaved that way on Ryzen.

The title is definitely more CPU and GPU bound than the average open world game. Should be interesting to watch over time.

I think they said that the main change in 1201 is just compatibility with many peripheral devices; e.g. certain keyboards not working in the UEFI. So I was just going to wait for the next update with newer AGESA code.
I was not aware that they might skip 1.0.0.5. I am tempted to try pushing things and see if this RAM will run at a higher speed once the newer AGESA update is released, but I'm just happy to have four sticks running at 2666MT/s, as even that was in question back when the platform launched.
Yeah as mentioned I wanted to try it, despite already being on 1107, because reasons.

The skip to 1.0.0.6 may have been a mix up somewhere along the lines. From a few sources (such as the Gigabyte rep quotes I posted days ago), AMD opted to go with 1.0.0.5 for now, which I presume is the May update now with 1.0.0.6 coming later (June/July?). If that's the case, I hope Asus rethink that and launch 1.0.0.5 soon.

My Gigabyte is on 1.0.0.5 and it runs a 2x16GB kit of G.Skill Trident Z at their rated 3200 speed. Prior to that, it would be 2666 or ~2933+ (~2933+ on my C6H using 2666 strap + BCLK).

I can't wait to see what these are.
Same.

sikkinixx

Thanks for the advice guys. I've tried to order the 1600 (hoping for a price match). Now to just finally pick a motherboard and it's on! Exciting stuff.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've tried to order the 1600 (hoping for a price match). Now to just finally pick a motherboard and it's on! Exciting stuff.
Good luck.
You're decision will become harder very soon

Computex 2017 is nearly here, which will see the debut of more AM4 Mini-ITX boards along with other form factors, such as...

ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/asus_am4_x370-f_and_b350-f_strix_pictured/1
https://www.komplett.dk/product/921...cket/asus-rog-strix-b350-f-gaming-socket-am4#
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-69v-as.html
https://www.cclonline.com/product/2...-F-GAMING-Socket-AM4-ATX-Motherboard/MBD2162/

ASUS ROG STRIX X370-F GAMING
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X370-F-GAMING/

http://news.mydrivers.com/1/533/533049.htm
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/asus_am4_x370-f_and_b350-f_strix_pictured/1
https://www.komplett.dk/product/921...cket/asus-rog-strix-x370-f-gaming-socket-am4#
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-69w-as.html

The Strix B350-F is slated to become the top model in Asus' B350 ATX lineup, while the Strix X370-F will slot in between the Prime X370 Pro and higher-priced Crosshair IV Hero (priced similarly to GB Aorus Gaming 5 and Gaming K7).

The fact the C6H has only 1 pair of front panel USB 3.0 headers, while the Strix X370, and several other lower-priced AM4 boards, have 2 sets of headers has always been an unfortunate oversight on Asus's part.

Datschge

·feist·;237461562 said:
With how efficient Zen is, I think a number of people would be interested in 6- and 8-core options for mobile workstations.

Top-end 45w 4c/8t with highest clocks for gaming and normal single-thread PC usage.
Top-end 45w 8c/16t iGPU-less part(s) for Clevo/Sager-type mobile desktop power user builds.
Will be interesting to see what range AMD will offer specifically for laptops. The guesses so far are that Ryzen Mobile is a single CCX combined with iGPU (apparently Vega based). The model number scheme I posted before doesn't mention GFX for mobile at all so they didn't plan for non-APU chips for laptops. Now the big question is if there'll be APU variants with two CCX that make it also into the mobile lineup.

(For that matter I wouldn't be surprised if Ryzen Mobile is Zen+ as all chips shown so far were based on the now very common two CCX die, Ryzen Mobile will be the very first to have a smaller die with only a single CCX.)

Kazdane

I guess there's no harm in asking here. Do you guys think going for the 1600 is enough for gaming? or is the 1700 worth the extra money? My plan is to pair it with 16 GB of DDR4 (G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2400) and a GTX 1070. So I'm not sure which processor would fit better. My plan is to continue playing on 1080p for the time being, although I guess at some point I'll upgrade to 1440p

Mr Swine

Banned
I guess there's no harm in asking here. Do you guys think going for the 1600 is enough for gaming? or is the 1700 worth the extra money? My plan is to pair it with 16 GB of DDR4 (G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2400) and a GTX 1070. So I'm not sure which processor would fit better. My plan is to continue playing on 1080p for the time being, although I guess at some point I'll upgrade to 1440p

I bought a 1600x and I think it's more than enough for 1080p

Datschge

For gaming the narrative is that you want the highest possible single core performance. The Ryzen chips that offer that on stock are 1600X and 1800X, with the only difference being that the latter has two more cores. Once you deviate from that narrative everything's fine really.

In terms of gaming performance, the 1600 and the 1700 performs very similarly. So, yeah, I say save the cash and go 1600.

Kazdane

For gaming the narrative is that you want the highest possible single core performance. The Ryzen chips that offer that on stock are 1600X and 1800X, with the only difference being that the latter has two more cores. Once you deviate from that narrative everything's fine really.

In terms of gaming performance, the 1600 and the 1700 performs very similarly. So, yeah, I say save the cash and go 1600.

Thanks both! Looks like I'll go for the 1600 then (or the 1600x if I can find a reasonably cheap, but good, cooler).

Paragon

As resolution increases, CPU requirements often go down.
Not because the higher resolution is less demanding, but because higher resolutions shift performance requirements towards the GPU rather than the CPU.
You're going to have lower framerates at higher resolutions on the same GPU, which means that the CPU requirements drop.

With a 1700X at 3.9GHz and a GTX 1070 at 3440x1440, the majority of games I play are in the 20-60% range for CPU usage - or less.
It's rare to see a game which can use all the available cores/threads and pushes CPU usage above 75%.
So the majority of games probably don't benefit from an 8-core CPU over a 6-core CPU.
That seems to be changing and will hopefully be less common going forward, but by the time the majority of games can take advantage of >6 cores, you might be looking to upgrade anyway.

***Recommended reading***:

AMD's Robert Hallock and James Prior did a 3-page Q&A with a Forbes Contributor.

Forbes —— An Interview With AMD: The Latest On Ryzen Memory Support, Game Performance And Ryzen 3's Launch

• Games and application optimization
  • Memory support
  • Game and software optimizations
  • The X-edition CPU temperature offset
  • Mini-ITX AM4 motherboard availability and chipsets

Will be interesting to see what range AMD will offer specifically for laptops. The guesses so far are that Ryzen Mobile is a single CCX combined with iGPU (apparently Vega based). The model number scheme I posted before doesn't mention GFX for mobile at all so they didn't plan for non-APU chips for laptops. Now the big question is if there'll be APU variants with two CCX that make it also into the mobile lineup.

(For that matter I wouldn't be surprised if Ryzen Mobile is Zen+ as all chips shown so far were based on the now very common two CCX die, Ryzen Mobile will be the very first to have a smaller die with only a single CCX.)
Correct, though I guess I'm hoping AMD can either make an exception, or a vendor could heavily bin and fit a non-mobile part... as unfeasible as the latter is.

Has AMD said anything of AM4-based server SKUs? There was at least one AM3+ Bulldozer/Piledriver-based 4-module/8-core/8-thread part which was compatible with select AME+ motherboards. Naturally, it was lower-clocked along with a much lower TDP. IIRC, it never saw global release though people did try to shove it into various form factors.

Asus has released 2 beta bioses based on AGESA 1.0.0.6 for the C6H: http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/15900_50#post_26106654

It seems to work because I can now finally run my 4x8GB corsair LPX sticks (hynix) at their rated 3060MT/s. Before I could only do 2666MT/s on all sticks or 3200MT/s on 2 (OC). Quick IBT-avx test:
Oddly enough I had the ROG forum open in another thread with Elmor's update and several user posts while I made my previous AGESA comment, but somehow hadn't noticed. Thanks for waking me up.

Quick comparison:

Build 1: Asus Crosshair VI Hero + AGESA 1.0.0.6
2x16 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MT/s CL15 (15-17-17-35) Hynix

Build 2: Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming 5 + AGESA 1.0.0.5
2x16 G.Skill Trident Z 3200MT/s CL14 (14-14-14-34) Samsung

1.0.0.5 opened up more registers, giving broader range of support for 3200MT/s across RAM types and manufacturers.

1.0.0.6 will be great for B350s and X370s motherboards which don't have a BCLK chip. It opens up multipliers up to 4000MT/s:

Up to and including AGESA 1.0.0.4a, the Asus had better speeds and compatibility with the Corsairs (Hynix). With 1.0.0.6, the C6H boots up instantly using XMP (DOCP on Asus) "Standard" profile with no changes made at all from my end - running the RAM at 2933MT/s stock DRAM volts and 16-17-17-35 1T, everything AUTO. *Just in case* I later set DRAM boot voltage to 1.5v, with everything else remaining stock XMP such as 1.35v DRAM. I may later on even out that 2933 to ~2997-3066MT/s, or try for ~3200MT/s+ OC, but I'm more than fine with it as is.

With 1.0.0.5, the Gigabyte will not boot using XMP on the G.Skills (Samsung). I briefly tried XMP + minor settings tweaks, to no avail. Since I don't have time to tweak much, I brute-forced the Gaming 5 to run its full 3200MT/s 1.45v DRAM and 18-18-18-36 1T. Boot voltage ~1.45v/1.5v, DRAM termination 0.725v, SOC 1.15v, ProcODT 43.6ohm.

Again that's a brute-force overclock, so even if I don't get around to a complete fine-grained tweak, it would run at lower settings than current, once I eventually have time to drop each setting bit by bit. Preferably Gigabyte's eventual 1.0.0.6 implementation will be here shortly, fully supporting an instant boot XMP profile with no further changes needed unless users want to manually tightened things up.

Or 1.0.0.5 is refined on Gigabyte: http://forum.gigabyte.us/post/5548/thread

GIGABYTE - Matt:

Hey guys,

Wanted to give you guys a quick update. K5/Gaming BIOS are still in the works, along with refinements for K7/5/Gaming 3.

I''ll be in Taiwan starting next week for Computex, and right after get the chance to spend some time at our HQ with the BIOS/PM teams. I'm bringing all your feedback with me and hopefully I can give you guys some more specific answers to questions when I am there.

Top Bottom