• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Condom

Alright, just got my order in for a 1600. My launch 2500k just wouldn't die and held up fine for me but after more than 6 years the itch is just too much for me to handle. Fuck what a great processor that is.

jrcbandit

So is Nvidia going to do anything about its drivers to make Ryzen perform better or are they too friendly with Intel to optimize? I have a 4770K but I kind of want to upgrade it since my current motherboard annoys me - it is thicker than normal so my CPU cooler can't form as tight of contact as it should and almost all the AIO water coolers in the US use the same Asetek cooler with its crappy mounting bracket method on Intel motherboards. My 4770k is also a poor performing overclocker (can only get 4.4 ghz out of it) so I'm not exactly pleased with its performance but the 7700K doesn't seem like an interesting enough of an upgrade.

The Asrock Taichi x370 looks like a sexy motherboard. Anyone mess with one and have good luck with memory on it?

Just got done messing with a friends workstation at his home office that has a 7 1800X thing is actually really awesome.

I feel strange saying that after so many years of elitist Intel love.

So is Nvidia going to do anything about its drivers to make Ryzen perform better or are they too friendly with Intel to optimize? I have a 4770K but I kind of want to upgrade it since my current motherboard annoys me - it is thicker than normal so my CPU cooler can't form as tight of contact as it should and almost all the AIO water coolers in the US use the same Asetek cooler with its crappy mounting bracket method on Intel motherboards. My 4770k is also a poor performing overclocker (can only get 4.4 ghz out of it) so I'm not exactly pleased with its performance but the 7700K doesn't seem like an interesting enough of an upgrade.

The Asrock Taichi x370 looks like a sexy motherboard. Anyone mess with one and have good luck with memory on it?

It's very sexy, especially for the price, but I've had limited success with getting RAM to hit 3200 consistently (I'm currently running cas14 2933). Waiting until the next microcode update (1.0.0.5) before making another attempt at getting it to run consistently at or above 3200. YMMV of course, as I've seen plenty of others say they had no issues hitting cas14 3200 with Samsung B-Die RAM straight out of the box.

Overclocks like a champ though. My 1700X can hit 4.1, but sadly with more voltage than I'm comfortable running in a 24/7 build (1.43 vcore). 4.0 Ghz runs great even under Prime 95 with 1.3875 vcore.

That ultimately depends on how much of a foothold Ryzen gets in the market I'd say. Ie, enough that people buying Nvidia's GPUs - particularly at the high end where they're without meaningful competition - start to complain loudly about the apparently driver driven bottleneck. If Vega turns out to better utilise those CPUs (bit of a big question mark on how Vega will perform vs the high end Pascal cards in general, mind), and people feel tempted to go all team red because of it, then Nvidia has further incentive for it.

But if people still stick to Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs for the most part, the motive is less pressung.

Just get memory that's on the motherboard's QVL and you should be set. These days you only have to worry if you're planning to use dual rank module kits like 2x16GB or other stuff not on the list. And by "worry" I just mean not getting the highest OC profiles to work.

popo

Intel care. Enough that I bet they price those chips lower than they would have if Ryzen had been a total flop (and they will still be exorbitant).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
These Intel chips may be hundreds cheaper than they would've been, if Ryzen had sucked booty.

Thank you, AMD.

May AGESA 1005 Update - Improved RAM Clocks & Compatibility

Gigabyte
http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/886/am4-beta-bios-thread

GIGABYTE - Matt:

Please note: Only BIOS listed on gigabyte's main support page are official tested BIOS. The one's provided below are for testing purposes and are not meant for general release. They may include unintentional bugs or quarks. Please share your experience with other members so we can help tweak and improve each new version.

Latest BETA BIOS (AGESA 1005)
Updated 5/12/17​

AX370-Gaming K7: F4A | T4B
AX370-Gaming 5: F6D
AB350-Gaming 3: T7A

Changes:

• Disable onboard audio | Peripherals -> HD Audio Controller [Enable/Disable]
  • AGESA 1005 Basecode | M.I.T -> Advanced Memory Settings -> Channel A/B Sub timings
    • 20+ memory registers now open
    • Command Rate 1T/2T [can now be set manually]

What the difference between "T" and "F" BIOS? Which should I use?

• "T" BIOS are test versions. They include tweaks our R&D team are experimenting with. They are likely less stable and may contain features/settings that never make it to a final version. Only use if you are comfortable adjusting advanced BIOS settings.
  • "F" BIOS are beta versions. They include the latest fixes & AGESA code. They should be more stable than "T" versions. Use this if you want to test the latest AGESA code.

TL;DR: "T" are alpha releases. "F" are beta.

X390, X399 Ryzen 9 HEDT

Bits and Chips —— Naples and ThreadRipper will share the – almost – same Socket

According to our sources, ThreadRipper will use a slightly modified version of the SP3 Socket studied for Naples.

Both ThreadRipper (SP3r2) and Naples (SP3) sockets will be LGA and will have 4094 pins. The main differences concern about the TDP and Main Board PCB implementation, as we can see in the table below.

Code:
[B]Socket[/B] .................... [B]SP3[/B] ................. [B]SP3r2[/B]
[B]CPU[/B] ....................... [B]Naples[/B] .............. [B]ThreadRipper[/B]
[B]uArch[/B] ..................... [B]Zen[/B] ................. [B]Zen[/B]
[B]Node Max[/B] .................. [B]2+[/B] .................. [B]1[/B]
[B]DDR4 Channel[/B] .............. [B]8[/B] ................... [B]4[/B]
[B]MAX TDP Supported[/B] ......... [B]200W and more[/B] ....... [B]180W and more[/B]
[B]Pins[/B] ...................... [B]4094[/B] ................ [B]4094[/B]

AMD will not commercialize a mid-level socket like Intel did (e.g. 1151 – 2011v3 – 3647), in order to maximize the economies of scale. Also, this choice will allow AMD to commercialize a HEDT CPU with 16C/32T, while Intel is struggling to realize a Skylake-X 16C/32T CPU within the LGA2066 Socket TDP limit (160W).

Caayn

More details about the Ryzen 9 CPUs have been leaked. http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-lineup-threadripper/

o29809U.png

If this is true, then it's good that, unlike Intel, AMD hasn't cheaped out on PCIe lanes, memory controller and support for SMT for some CPUs.

Bit overdue, but just wanna say thanks to everyone in this thread that helped me out with advice and answers on Ryzen for my PC build. It's been all set up and running smoothly for about a month now and I'm super happy with my 1700 and the support AMD has rolled out for the platform! I'm thinking of taking a few pics and outlining the specs in the PC thread sometime, so I'll link it here when I do.

Thanks again!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Fingers crossed 1998/x stay around $1K.

joesiv

It's interesting that they claim there to be 10c20t and 14c28t models. Considering one CCX is 4c8t those particular models make for imbalanced configurations.

Yeah interesting indeed, but I think if you look at each core being it's own entity, and the MCM being the one that really matters, a 7+7 or 5+5 might be reasonable. Of course you're right, within each die, it seems odd.

Datschge

Another thing that's fishy about those supposed leaks is how the model numbers make extensive use of the last two digits whereas it was simply 00 for all models up to now, those two digits being reserved as option for "speed bumps or sku differentiator". I think AMD's HEDT lineup will use a different naming/numbering scheme and the current one will be reserved for AM4 chips.

Fingers crossed 1998/x stay around $1K.
Top Ryzen 7 was max priced around the half of Intel chips with comparable amount of cores, so I guess AMD will do the same with "Ryzen 9" and 10c20t "1855X" will cost $850 max? ;)

Where on earth are the mini ITX boards? Best I can find is there's a Biostar mobo out there that doesn't even have on board wifi. Have there been any previews from makers yet?

Cooler Master [YouTube] —— AMD Ryzen AM4 Upgrade Kit Installation _ RR-AM4B-H212-S1

↑↑↑↑↑ — RR-AM4B-H212-S1 = AM4 X Bracket (vertical & horizontal orientation)

↓↓↓↓↓ — RR-ACCY-AM4B-R1 = AM4 Screw Mount/Clamp Mount (stock AM4 mount points for horizontal orientation only)

Cooler Master [YouTube] —— AMD Ryzen AM4 Upgrade Kit Installation _ RR-ACCY-AM4B-R1

·feist·;230972903 said:

AMD AM4 Upgrade kit Air1 XClip (RR-AM4B-H212-S1)
http://www.cmstore.eu/cooling/amd-am4-upgrade-kit-air1-xclip-rr-am4b-h212-s1/

RYZEN AM4 X Bracket For Hyper Series
http://www.cmstore-usa.com/ryzen-am4-x-bracket-for-hyper-series/

Product Description
This Cooler Master AMD AM4 upgrade kit can be used to enable selected cooling products to work with the new AMD Ryzen processors.

It is available free of charge, simply pay the shipping fees to receive it.

Compatibility:

• MasterAir Pro 4
  • MasterAir Pro 3
  • Hyper 412 Series
  • Hyper 212 EVO
  • Hyper 212 X
  • Hyper 212 Plus

Note: Limited to one per person while stocks last

rr-am4b-h212-s1_3__793nubk.jpg

AMD AM4 Upgrade kit Air2 (RR-AM4B-MAM8-R1)
http://www.cmstore.eu/cooling/amd-am4-upgrade-kit-air2-rr-am4b-mam8-r1/

AM4 bracket for:

• MasterAir Maker 8
  • TPC-612
  • TPC-600
  • V4-GTS

rr-am4b-mam8-r1_1__44ilu9w.jpg

WE ARE READY FOR YOUR AM4 SOCKET - AMD’s next-gen Ryzen processors are here…
http://www.coolermaster.com/amd-am4-ryzen-compatability/en/

• Out-of-box Compatibility
  • Upgrade Kit Compatibility
  • How to install?

AMD AM4 Upgrade kit for MasterLiquid Pro Series (RL-AM4B-MLPS-R1)
http://www.cmstore.eu/cooling/amd-am4-upgrade-kit-for-masterliquid-pro-series-rl-am4b-mlps-r1/

AMD AM4 Upgrade kit for Nepton Series (RL-AM4B-NEPS-R1)
http://www.cmstore.eu/cooling/amd-am4-upgrade-kit-for-nepton-series-rl-am4b-neps-r1/

AMD AM4 Upgrade kit for Seidon Series (RL-AM4B-S12V-R1)
http://www.cmstore.eu/cooling/amd-am4-upgrade-kit-for-seidon-series-rl-am4b-s12v-r1/

AMD AM4 Upgrade kit Hyper 612 (RR-AM4B-H6V2-R1)
http://www.cmstore.eu/cooling/amd-am4-upgrade-kit-hyper-612-rr-am4b-h6v2-r1/

AMD AM4 Upgrade kit Hyper D92 (RR-AM4B-HD92-R1)
http://www.cmstore.eu/cooling/amd-am4-upgrade-kit-hyper-d92-rr-am4b-hd92-r1/

AMD AM4 Upgrade kit V8 GTS (RR-AM4B-V8VC-R1)
http://www.cmstore.eu/cooling/amd-am4-upgrade-kit-v8-gts-rr-am4b-v8vc-r1/

TokiDoki

Alright, just got my order in for a 1600. My launch 2500k just wouldn't die and held up fine for me but after more than 6 years the itch is just too much for me to handle. Fuck what a great processor that is.

And yet there are peoples defending 2500k that its still viable . Im running 2500k with 1070 and it feels like a slouch .

DonMigs85

And yet there are peoples defending 2500k that its still viable . Im running 2500k with 1070 and it feels like a slouch .

You have to go to great lengths to boost its performance in modern games, like clocking to at least 4.2 to 4.5GHz and using at least 1866 or 2133 MHz DDR3. But if you're only targeting around 60 to 80FPS in newer games it's still sufficient

GameGPU is on the short list of sites conducting Ryzen CPU benchmarks with several Nvidia and AMD GPUs, for each new game release:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235094713&postcount=2722
Sniper Ghost Warrior 3

Outlast 2

Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War III

Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator​

The Surge
http://gamegpu.com/rpg/ролевые/the-surge-test-gpu-cpu

Prey
http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/prey-test-gpu

The Witcher - Trilogy Test
http://gamegpu.com/rpg/ролевые/the-witcher-trilogiya-test-gpu-cpu

Mass Effect Andromeda
http://gamegpu.com/rpg/ролевые/mass-effect-andromeda-test-gpu-cpu

It's still a very capable CPU, particularly with most users' systems largely being 2c/2t, 2c/4t, 4c/4t or lower.

Still, games are becoming increasingly multi-threaded, in part due to graphics APIs and consoles both becoming increasingly multi-threaded.

A surprising number of users discount the benefits this has on single-player along with CPU-demanding multi-player, load times, frame times, and general performance and responsiveness. Prior to Forza Horizon 3's recent multi-thread usage patch a ~5GHz Skylake/Kaby Lake could still be hampered by the game.

After the multi-thread update users across the board have reported significant improvements. On both Intel and AMD I have ~30-70% CPU usage across 16 threads on each system, depending on settings and scenario. Given that, even with the massive improvement 4c/8t users are more likely to "run out" of processing headroom before 6/8/10-core or higher systems.

Prey:

That said...

How many f***ing cores is too much???
Even with the increasing number of multi-threaded games and applications, these CPUs are simply not intended for most users.

There are a fair number of people who do have need for this amount of parallelism or greater, though.

Datschge

Sounds like a good fit tbh. Intel just won't be able to beat the epic amount of cores. ;)

Edit: Btw. Papermaster's focus on Infinity Fabric is a good call. It's *the* competitive advantage AMD currently already has going against Intel (being able to scale across many core configurations with essentially only one design), if they can efficiently use it in further, including heterogeneous areas for SOCs etc. they could be able to come up with some unexpected killer products.

Mr Swine

Banned
Sounds like a good fit tbh. Intel just won't be able to beat the epic amount of cores. ;)

Edit: Btw. Papermaster's focus on Infinity Fabric is a good call. It's *the* competitive advantage AMD currently already has going against Intel (being able to scale across many core configurations with essentially only one design), if they can efficiently use it in further, including heterogeneous areas for SOCs etc. they could be able to come up with some unexpected killer products.

They will probably refine Infinity Fabric enough so that most of it's disadvantage it has is either gone or near gone

Datschge

·feist·, on the AMD financial analyst stream Jim Anderson kept showing versions of those hexagon graphs you were posting before. That kind of performance depiction may become more common now. ^^

Edit: He just confirmed the name Threadripper for the HEDT chips.

Edit 2: In general the event was quite a positive one for AMD. Not much specifics. Ryzen Mobile (i.e. APUs) should significantly improve CPU and GPU performance while reducing power consumption by half. Threadripper will out-core whatever Intel put into their HEDT lineup. And in server space Epyc makes single socket a selling point, simplifying platform complexity and reducing power consumption while outperforming the best selling Intel dual socket solutions. Financial outlook looks positive, with AMD expecting to manage actual dividends.

Meh3D

I must say this again, I love the thread title.

That said, I would love to move my desktop to a Ryzen 12-16 core CPU. I would love it for the video work and the coding work. (The applications I write not the actually coding.)

NeOak

Running 2500k at 4.5 Ghz with 16GB DDR3 2133 driving a Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme.

Slouch my ass.

And 16 core Ryzen. drools

Top Bottom