• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 TGS blowout; Yamauchi prepping for GT 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firewire said:
I'm deeply disturbed by Goldrusher's pro/standard physics change notice. Seriously if this is across the board and they inched up standard and dumped down pro, I'm at a loss for words. GT would be dead to me if they catered to the casual by doing this.

Tell me I'm over reacting, please!

You think that they spent all that time creating a new physics engine only to completely drop it?

It's much more likely that the physics selection is just in another area now or that it's still on that list but lower down than it was in previous screens.

Firewire said:
I'm deeply disturbed by Goldrusher's pro/standard physics change notice. Seriously if this is across the board and they inched up standard and dumped down pro, I'm at a loss for words. GT would be dead to me if they catered to the casual by doing this.

Tell me I'm over reacting, please!
You're overreacting. You really are. Those options probably have just been moved or something.

AndyD

aka andydumi
SolidSnakex said:
It's much more likely that the physics selection is just in another area now or that it's still on that list but lower down than it was in previous screens.

Right.

Or it could be that the quick test drive mode is only standard or only in pro physics. Then when you actually select track and set up a race you can pick physics.

I would not worry about it that much.

Senua

Gold Member
SolidSnakex said:
And another new video

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/...7&sourceID=je6NUbpObpQ-PlIjFUgrjOAjEq_OjOfzYg

Sealth McLaren F1 on Laguna Seca and Toscana. Note that car is very dirty in the Toscana video (the first time we've seen cars collecting dirt). This has to be the final build.
absolutely terrible engine sound, the bmw v12 sounds absolutely amazing IRL (yes i've heard it in person) and that video completely disappointed me ugh

this is how it should sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OihO2Tf7rCs

saladine1

Fender_Uk said:
absolutely terrible engine sound, the bmw v12 sounds absolutely amazing IRL (yes i've heard it in person) and that video completely disappointed me ugh
As much as I agree with you, I think we have to accept the fact that GT5 is not going to feature awesome sounds and move on.
It's tough I know, but the sooner we come to grips with it the better..

Is it wrong that in preparation for this game, at night, wearing nothing other than a helmet and black socks, I clip my wheel to the desk and watch the 458 Italia video Poly released earlier this year?

Something about that vid and the drum and bass turns me on.

saladine1

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
Is it wrong that in preparation for this game, at night, wearing nothing other than a helmet and black socks, I clip my wheel to the desk and watch the 458 Italia video Poly released earlier this year?

Black socks?
If you had said white socks, it would have been fine but as it stands now.....yes it is wrong.

shin high socks or ankle cuts?

UFRA

I never understand how GT games can have such strange sounding cars.

I mean, casual arcade games like Blur, or NFS: Shift have some pretty accurate sounding engines.

PD actually records the exhaust notes and engine sounds, and they turn out sounding weird. It just doesn't make sense.

AndyD

aka andydumi
UFRA said:

I mean, casual arcade games like Blur, or NFS: Shift have some pretty accurate sounding engines.

PD actually records the exhaust notes and engine sounds, and they turn out sounding weird. It just doesn't make sense.

Part of it is that Blur and others have a few dozen cars to worry about, and PD has nearly 1000. But NFS games do have very good sound. I dont know how realistic though. I have sat in Mustangs and they do not sound like NFS renditions (which I guess are supercar/supersized versions so they can take some sound liberties).

UFRA said:

They use computer samples, because they want quality to be equal on all cars.

DnB is awesome :D

UFRA

^ Yeah, I imagine that in those games I mentioned, the sound was probably enhanced a bit, and could be exaggerated. It's just that the sounds are so great, and I know they're at least relatively accurate. The clear differences between hearing a BMW M3 E92 and a Dodge Viper, it's really impressive in a simple arcade game like Blur.

I wish Kaz would just throw his honesty out the window for one little thing in the game, and enhance the car sounds just a tad, even if it's a little unrealistic. ;)

SolidSnakex said:

Just speculating out of my arse here, but Standard in prologue could be construed as a form of 'skid recovery' I suppose, in the sense of what the limit entails in comparison to Pro. 'Force' would indicate several layers, so it could be a case of implementing a more transparent/gradient filter for the handling (as opposed to the ambiguous 'standard' designation). Off/Sim would be "pro physics".

*shrugs*, thinking the engine would be dumbed down because of this strikes me as a bit reactionary. But we'll see.

AndyD said:
Part of it is that Blur and others have a few dozen cars to worry about, and PD has nearly 1000. But NFS games do have very good sound. I dont know how realistic though. I have sat in Mustangs and they do not sound like NFS renditions (which I guess are supercar/supersized versions so they can take some sound liberties).
Yeah, the sounds in NFS: Shift are completely over exaggerated. For example, you apparently are driving "stock" production cars yet for some reason it sounds like the brakes are from a race car, and that car isn't sound proof. Also, transmission whine is put on 11 even though it should be like... 5...

dwebo

I was impressed that there wasn't any load screen for test driving the track. Yeah, they're just background loading once you choose the course layout, but still.

3 weeks baby!

Firewire

Banned
UFRA said:

Blur is pretty much meh, but I'm only going from video's. NFS sounds have always been way over exaggerated through out the series. Comparing GT sounds to NFS is just idiotic.

UFRA

Apex said:
No, stealth cars are like the tuned by GT cars from Prologue, not real race cars, just minor changes as sport mufflers and engine upgrades.

In defense of Fender (can't believe I'm doing this) the McLaren F1 sounds very badass even when stock. It's a supercar afterall, and was the fastest production car in the world for quite some time until more modern cars came along.

It's a very stripped down supercar too. It practically is a race car in stock form.

Firewire said:
Blur is pretty much meh, but I'm only going from video's. NFS sounds have always been way over exaggerated through out the series. Comparing GT sounds to NFS is just idiotic.

I'm not trying to start any wars here. No need for shit comments like this. It's a valid point when an arcade game has more enjoyable car sounds than a simulator. I realize the arcade games are exaggerated, but GT games have a tendency to have this common high pitched "hollow" (hard to describe) noise between all of the cars. I never know what builds I'm seeing when I watch videos, so the final product may be awesome, I'm just saying...in my opinion.

Edit: and a good example would be how my Mazda RX-7 in real life sounded nothing like the RX-7 in GT4. They were identical models, years, etc.. however the GT4 one was higher pitched and quieter. It also didn't express the "whine" of a rotary engine as pronounced as it really is.

Senua

Gold Member
Apex said:
No, stealth cars are like the tuned by GT cars from Prologue, not real race cars, just minor changes as sport mufflers and engine upgrades.
all mclaren f1's including the road and GTR/LM versions used the same BMW V12

theignoramus said:
shin high socks or ankle cuts?

Shin high with sock garters.

I don't know why DnB strikes a nerve here with that particular vid, maybe it's flashbacks of RRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrriDDDDDGe RAAAAAAAAAAAAcer.

But in all seriousness, it's finally sinking in that in less than a months time, I will get to start a fresh GT game. Very exciting, and being able to play with friends is just icing on the cake.

AndyD

aka andydumi
dwebo said:
I was impressed that there wasn't any load screen for test driving the track. Yeah, they're just background loading once you choose the course layout, but still.

3 weeks baby!

There were lots of editing things in that movie. So they may have just skipped the load.

Edit: Beaten! Also what's DnB?

Firewire

Banned
UFRA said:
I'm not trying to start any wars here. No need for shit comments like this. It's a valid point when an arcade game has more enjoyable car sounds than a simulator. I realize the arcade games are exaggerated, but GT games have a tendency to have this common high pitched "hollow" (hard to describe) noise between all of the cars. I never know what builds I'm seeing when I watch videos, so the final product may be awesome, I'm just saying...in my opinion.

People complain about GT sounds not being realistic, but you want more "enjoyable?" I'm not coming down on you, please don't take it that way. But if most people would listen to GT's sounds on a decent home theater setup or a nice 7.1 system they wouldn't complain. There is no way for PD to cater to every TV sound set up out there, there is no way to satisfy everyone without making every sound over the top. I appreciate PD's work when it comes to sound and I acknowledge that not every car in the GT series sounds 100% realistic but this sound shit has to stop, especially if you don't have the equipment to properly hear what GT games are pushing out of half decent sound set up's.

Again I'm not directing this at you...entirely.

UFRA said:
I'm not trying to start any wars here. No need for shit comments like this. It's a valid point when an arcade game has more enjoyable car sounds than a simulator. I realize the arcade games are exaggerated, but GT games have a tendency to have this common high pitched "hollow" (hard to describe) noise between all of the cars.

With a decent HT prologue holds it's own imo. Without the subwoofer/srs it's clinical, sure. Makes all the difference. The rear channels on the mid engine monsters stick out in particular. Wouldn't call it hollow at all.

I could certainly use more growl in GT's engine sounds, exaggerated or not Shift is the gold standard in my book. But it seems like a lot of people are judging GT's audio chops based on stereo output where it loses a lot of body.

edit- ^beaten

Firewire said:
People complain about GT sounds not being realistic, but you want more "enjoyable?" I'm not coming down on you, please don't take it that way. But if most people would listen to GT's sounds on a decent home theater setup or a nice 7.1 system they wouldn't complain. There is no way for PD to cater to every TV sound set up out there, there is no way to satisfy everyone without making every sound over the top. I appreciate PD's work when it comes to sound and I acknowledge that not every car in the GT series sounds 100% realistic but this sound shit has to stop, especially if you don't have the equipment to properly hear what GT games are pushing out of half decent sound set up's.

Again I'm not directing this at you...entirely.
This is true. Even having 2.1 sound adds a whole lot. You get that "rumble" that everyone talks about being missing... It's all there, you just need the proper set up. Sub woofers come cheap these days as well.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
With a decent HT prologue holds it's own imo. Without the subwoofer/srs it's clinical, sure. Makes all the difference. The rear channels on the mid engine monsters stick out in particular. Wouldn't call it hollow at all.

I could certainly use more growl in GT's engine sounds, exaggerated or not Shift is the gold standard in my book. But it seems like a lot of people are judging GT's audio chops based on stereo output where it loses a lot of body.

Shift is blatantly over exaggerated.

Flek

Banned
Fortinbras said:
Please don't hate me for this but the game seems to be delayed in other regions too. Several guys (shop owners) over at Maniac forums confirm the delay. For Germany at least.

Obviously there's going to be an announcement soon.

http://www.maniac-forum.de/forum/

maniac forum eh? One of the most well known resources for informations here in germany. Just look at there awesome board software and all. Sory but i call bullshit.

TylerD

If you have a subwoofer, GT5 Prologue and I am sure GT5 sound pretty good. I could shake my apartment walls when revving the F40. There is a really nice low end punch as soon as you step on the gas before getting into the higher revs on that car.

I am excited to complete an oval Nascar race and watch the replay with my setup. It sounds pretty good in the video posted by Lyci13 on youtube just coming from the crappy set at Gamestop. Sounds like PD got the specific sound of a pack of stock cars charging towards and past the camera pretty close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAYfr-f3HIg GT5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOMYt9ouHKU RL

PD's sound samples may be excellent but what seems to lack is the sound processing on these samples. Come on, they really sound familiar, they really sound GT4ish and they don't match the visuals obviously. I really think PD had to make a choice on what to improve: we have new physics, weather, night, damage, etc but new sound processing just could not make the cut.

For reference, this is how a Mc Laren F1 (racing car but still) sounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1KmxJ6Daic&feature=related
it's much louder and "grittier". GT5 seems too "digital" and clean. And I'm comparing on the same sound system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom