• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2010 NPD "Results" [Up3: Dead Rising 2, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts Numbers]

Guevara

I really am tempted to say that next year looks great for the PS3, and objectively I think it does. It seems like next year is always the "year of the PS3" :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Corto said:
MIcrosoft is holding the industry in the USA! Otherwise horrible numbers in hardware and software. It seems that Sony will really need the GT5 sales bump to meet their forecast to 2010.
I think Nintendo needs something the most on the Wii front.

They've went from continually outselling the 360 and PS3 combined to being third place by a good margin.

Cheech

Guevara said:
I really am tempted to say that next year looks great for the PS3, and objectively I think it does. It seems like next year is always the "year of the PS3" :lol

There are a lot of sweet PS3 games coming out next year, but IMO none of them have the system selling potential of GT5.

That said, does it really matter at this point? New consoles are probably going to start dropping pretty soon here. At this point it's time to give the PS3 its eulogy as the last place system, and talk about how Sony can get back in the lead with the PS4.

Nirolak said:
Here's what Wedbush said.

So:

As per The NPD Group's policy, NPD hardware and software subscribers are permitted to release sales figures for their respective products - a practice that NPD will continue to support.

...doesn't apply to Wedbush, then? Or are they breaching NPD policy here?

Nirolak said:

Pretty much. The plastic-peripheral-music-game market needed some care, attention and restraint if it was going to prosper. It got Activision.

Guevara

Sadist said:
So Nintendo, about E3 2011...

I expect this kind of showing at E3 2011, ultimately not a full reveal but an indication of what is to come:

277719.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
NPD's new policy looks a wee bit silly if notable, 'untouchable' clients leak their numbers. I can't see them cancelling Pachter's subscription over this.

May as well leak the whole separated top-10 now Michael *wink wink nudge nudge*

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From that same link I just noticed:

GamesIndustry.biz said:
He also singled out Nintendo's Metroid: Other M as missing expectations, in the first month that The NPD Group stopped releasing detailed data on individual sales.
Unfortunately they didn't say what their expectations were.

Minsc

Gold Member
Cosmonaut X said:
Pretty much. The plastic-peripheral-music-game market needed some care, attention and restraint if it was going to prosper. It got Activision.

What's you take on Rock Bank 3 sales? I'd expect significantly more than 100k, right? Maybe not 2 million, but hopefully healthy.

Corto

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's actually interesting, looking at Guitar Hero from the beginning to now, how closely it followed the arc of the Rock Star. Totally meta.

So we can expect a reunion/compilation in 10-20 years from now?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Cheech said:
There are a lot of sweet PS3 games coming out next year, but IMO none of them have the system selling potential of GT5.

That said, does it really matter at this point? New consoles are probably going to start dropping pretty soon here. At this point it's time to give the PS3 its eulogy as the last place system, and talk about how Sony can get back in the lead with the PS4.
Yeah? I keep hearing how PS3 is gonna overtake 360 either next year of the year after that worldwide.

Plus PS4 isn't dropping until 2013 too if you ask me

AniHawk

Only company I see doing next gen next year is Microsoft, and even that feels like kind of a longshot. Aside from still having a few big releases left for the Wii, Nintendo's dev studios are pretty tied up with the 3DS. And of course, Sony's releasing everything in the next 12-13 months.

I think the pattern from here on out might be: handhelds introduce next gen and consoles follow a year later until the console market becomes something else.

Minsc said:
What's you take on Rock Bank 3 sales? I'd expect significantly more than 100k, right? Maybe not 2 million, but hopefully healthy.

Depends. I'd say it's seen as the more "legitimate" series, purely because of how Activision milked and devalued GH and how Rock Band has been handled with a bit more care and imagination, so it could still be fairly strong. However, there's a good chance that the endless GH releases and Rock Band 2 itself have done a fair bit to poison the well for any future releases in that area, so...

gofreak said:
NPD's new policy looks a wee bit silly if notable, 'untouchable' clients leak their numbers. I can't see them cancelling Pachter's subscription over this.

May as well leak the whole separated top-10 now Michael *wink wink nudge nudge*

Indeed. It's ridiculous to have a public position that says that platform holders and publishers can release their figures if they choose, but then to turn a blind eye to prominent subscribers releasing figures as they see fit.

DMeisterJ

Banned
PS3 outselling Wii in a random month is creepy... or Move is the reason for this monthl but it's still weird to see Wii in 3rd place...

Nothing lasts forever, I guess.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AniHawk said:
Only company I see doing next gen next year is Microsoft, and even that feels like kind of a longshot. Aside from still having a few big releases left for the Wii, Nintendo's dev studios are pretty tied up with the 3DS. And of course, Sony's releasing everything in the next 12-13 months.

I think the pattern from here on out might be: handhelds introduce next gen and consoles follow a year later until the console market becomes something else.

MS seems very committed to Kinect for now. Ballmer's even said 'it is the next gen Xbox'. I'd put both MS and Sony pretty far down the list in terms of jumping onto a new system.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
From that GamesIndustry article:

There were "few major surprises at the publishers" during September, said Cowan & Company - including PC software, Activision Blizzard sales were down 41 per cent, EA down 42 per cent, Take-Two down 170 per cent and THQ down 25 per cent compared to the same month last year.

Cheech said:

Lol, seriously? If anything PS3 has been catching up for sometime now. The race to second will be neck and neck by the end of this gen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DMeisterJ said:
PS3 outselling Wii in a random month is creepy... or Move is the reason for this monthl but it's still weird to see Wii in 3rd place...

I think it's a combination of Sony having gotten their act together and the completely dry well of third party Wii software.

Sony had a major advantage in that even in their worst times, they always had strong third party support. This meant that all they really needed to do to get their consoles sales up was to get the price under control. Nintendo on the other hand could never win over third parties, even with truly astounding hardware sales, and it came back to haunt them badly.

Stumpokapow said:
From that GamesIndustry article:
I know that EA was missing Need For Speed and distributing The Beatles Rockband this year, and Activision lost Guitar Hero and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2, but what did Take-Two and THQ lose to cause such drops?

AniHawk

gofreak said:
MS seems very committed to Kinect for now. Ballmer's even said 'it is the next gen Xbox'. I'd put both MS and Sony pretty far down the list in terms of jumping onto a new system.

It'll be interesting to see if the Xbox guys are off to fend for themselves now or if Microsoft is still committed to doing whatever it takes to beat Sony at this. 2011 just seems eerily empty for them.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, Guitar Hero. I expected bad, but that's really bad. :lol

Unfortunately I'm not expecting Rock Band 3 to do a whole lot better. :(

Elios83

Iwata was pretty much honest, he has already acknowledged that it could be difficult for Wii from now on and a lot depends on how the holyday season will go.
IMO they will announce a new Wii with full BC with the current model during next year.
The PS3 number is definetly strong considering that this year they have neither a redesign nor a price drop to compete but it's no wonder that they want to hide that their growth pattern is over and if they want to grow considerably again they need a price cut to a mass market price, finally.

Cheech

AniHawk said:

Microsoft:

1. Just released the slim
2. Sinking tons of money into launching Kinect
3. Is making absurd amounts of money off software

Sony:

1. Bullish on Move
2. Bullish on 3DTV
3. Software sales aren't as strong as they are on 360, but still doing very well in mainland Europe

If anything, I think they have the LEAST to gain off launching an entirely new platform. Nintendo will probably go first, if Wii sales don't reverse out of freefall. This holiday season's sales will tell us when Nintendo's next system is launching.

My guess is Nintendo will take the wraps off Wii 2 at E3, for either a Christmas or Spring launch. MS/Sony will announce in spring of 2012, with holiday 2012 release. I'm probably optimistic, seeing as I am ready to build a gaming PC because I am tired of my old ass console hardware. :lol

DMeisterJ said:

Proof positive that even a flourishing flower will die if you only water it once every few months. They've got no one to blame but themselves.

AniHawk

Kagari said:
Guitar Hero is dead.

PS3 over Wii, but for how long?

Probably until November, then back again in January.

The Wii will be a last place system in its final years (in America), but should still have the highest total among the three in the end.

Kagari said:
Guitar Hero is dead.

PS3 over Wii, but for how long?

I'd say, maybe not in October but definitely November and December it's a lock for either 360 or PS3 to outsell Wii(or both to outsell it).

COD Drops, and GT5 drops sometime this year, and I doubt Wii Party, Kirby, or DKCR(is that 2011 now) will be able to change that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AniHawk said:
It'll be interesting to see if the Xbox guys are off to fend for themselves now or if Microsoft is still committed to doing whatever it takes to beat Sony at this. 2011 just seems eerily empty for them.

Xbox operates under very strict cost controls, if that's what you mean. They don't have free access to the piggy bank. To that extent MS is letting it fend for itself, but that's no bad thing from a profitability point of view. (It's also partially what's let some analysts to call for Xbox to be spun off into its own company.)

As for 2011, I truly think they're looking for the casual audience to see them through their late phase handsomely. I think they believe kinect can do that, and it may well do so. It may look empty for us, but MS will be hoping for some long-legs out of their Kinect stuff. They'll also have good momentum coming out of this year, out of slim and so on...that won't evaporate immediately.

plagiarize said:
isn't it weird that professional companies aren't taking up the figures of the free alternative?

oh wait, no. that's not weird at all if the free figures are terrible.
Not really, they're the ones paying NPD for the data. They're getting their numbers.

Elios83

gregor7777 said:
Microsoft putting the stomp down. Truly impressive.

Indeed I think that the stable growth result they have achieved in the US market with the redesign without a true price cut to 149$ and 249$ is remarkable.

Cheech

BladeoftheImmortal said:
Lol, seriously? If anything PS3 has been catching up for sometime now. The race to second will be neck and neck by the end of this gen.

Lol, seriously. Console hardware is something of a shell game, the only thing that matters to these companies at this point in the generation is software sales.

Sony is getting absolutely destroyed in that arena. Microsoft published games far outsell Sony's for the most part, and third party games also typically sell better on the 360 (which translates to more DLC, and therefore a bigger cut to MS).

I mean, I hate to throw ice cold water on the fanboy talk, but there is no realistic way that Sony will make more money off the PS3 than Microsoft will make off the 360 this generation.

Both of them got curb stomped by Nintendo, of course, but that's neither here nor there. :lol

The idealist in me would like to see Sony and Microsoft team up on a single console. They backfill each other's weaknesses perfectly. Unfortunately, there is way too much money to be made as the sole platform holder for this ever to occur.

LCfiner

AniHawk said:

By "fend for themselves" do you mean, "stay profitable"? I think that's been the case for a while now. the E&D department hasn't been allowed to bleed money for years now.

I don't think they're willing to lose much more money in that area to beat Sony. The Search division looks to be the place where they're willing to lose cash to stave off Google (at least from what I saw in their last earnings report)

AniHawk

Cheech said:
Microsoft:

Sony:

1. Bullish on Move
2. Bullish on 3DTV
3. Software sales aren't as strong as they are on 360, but still doing very well in mainland Europe

If anything, I think they have the LEAST to gain off launching an entirely new platform. Nintendo will probably go first, if Wii sales don't reverse out of freefall. This holiday season's sales will tell us when Nintendo's next system is launching.

Well, yeah, I agree. I just think that if push came to shove, Microsoft could probably get something out the door faster than Sony or Nintendo, just in case Kinect doesn't take off. Kinda like how Nintendo was planning a successor to the GBA when the stopgap became more successful than any other handheld they made.

My guess is Nintendo will take the wraps off Wii 2 at E3, for either a Christmas or Spring launch. MS/Sony will announce in spring of 2012, with holiday 2012 release. I'm probably optimistic, seeing as I am ready to build a gaming PC because I am tired of my old ass console hardware. :lol

If Nintendo has a Wii successor "next year," I think it would have to be Spring 2012 in Japan at the earliest. It would mean they could fit it into their financial statement, and they probably would have gotten two or three internal studios barely enough time to pump out some games for it for launch and launch window. And then they might opt to do what Sony did with the PS2 and release it elsewhere later.

LCfiner said:
By "fend for themselves" do you mean, "stay profitable"? I think that's been the case for a while now. the E&D department hasn't been allowed to bleed money for years now.

I don't think they're willing to lose much more money in that area to beat Sony. The Search division looks to be the place where they're willing to lose cash to stave off Google (at least from what I saw in their last earnings report)

Basically, yeah. It was a conversation I was checking in and out on in last month's NPD thread or something. Pretty interesting, and it sure explained a lot of Microsoft's recent behavior.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Cheech said:
Microsoft:

Sony:

1. Bullish on Move
2. Bullish on 3DTV

Are you talking about USA or WW software sales? WW the PS3 has been selling more software than the 360 for a while now. USA is in favour of the 360.

szaromir

Banned
gofreak said:
As for 2011, I truly think they're looking for the casual audience to see them through their late phase handsomely. I think they believe kinect can do that, and it may well do so. It may look empty for us, but MS will be hoping for some long-legs out of their Kinect stuff.
Are tere any Kinect games coming out in the first half of 2011? I can't think of any.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Saiyar said:
Are you talking about USA or WW software sales? WW the PS3 has been selling more software than the 360 for a while now. USA is in favour of the 360.
For the last two or so months Microsoft has actually pulled ahead of Sony in Europe with the Slim, but as a whole yeah the PS3 has been winning over there.

szaromir said:
Are tere any Kinect games coming out in the first half of 2011? I can't think of any.
All those niche ones from TGS I believe.

allan-bh

I now believe that Xbox 360 has a pretty good chance to outsell Wii in US this year.

Xbox 360 must stay ahead in October, in november with Kinect launch I supose can stay to.

I don't know about december.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
szaromir said:

They'll be hoping one of the launch games at least will emerge as more of an evergreen that can keep selling it into next year. I guess that's the plan anyway.

Top Bottom