• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Persona 5 Spoiler Thread | Steal your heart; steel yourself

MoonFrog

Hmmm...I probably shouldn't join another Persona 5 thread just as the confidant one is dying off and I was talking less Persona 5 :p

While we're talking Akechi and the ending:

-Generally, I think the mental shutdowns were handled poorly. I think Haru's dad's shutdown was good. The principal's was also fine but...from the original trainwreck to those, nothing happened. There is incredibly little to Shido's plot in the game.

His co-conspirator's are largely nameless. I love that they had them at the buffet in the beginning...that was nice NG+ content and foreshadowing. There just isn't much of a narrative to Shido and there is also sort of the skeleton of a narrative which is supposed to run throughout the entire game.

It doesn't help that when it does come time to do Shido/Akechi, you just get it all as info dumps while the two revel in how evil they have been and will be (and even those aren't entirely informative, as discussed below).

-I think the biggest disappointment for me with the ending is how there never is anything more to Shido/Sojiro/Wakaba. Mostly this is I wanted an actual story of Sojiro's past beyond the Wakaba thing.

I think the latter was well done and it was interesting seeing different angles on it from Sojiro's and Futaba's account. I think it is interesting how Futaba puts a more romantic light on it, whereas Sojiro is obviously more searching as to what it all meant and is more "she wasn't into me."

But Sojiro is one of my favorite characters and I wanted more about him quitting politics, just what his relationship with Shido was, etc. and I think they dangled this before our noses, having Sojiro recognize and get unresponsive when he sees Shido, having him have quit that career, etc.

Beyond that, the specifics of Wakaba's death are unclear. What exactly was her research? How was she/Shido using it without Yaldaboath's app? What were Shido's plans before Akechi showed up?

You don't even know if Akechi killed Wakaba or someone else. Akechi alludes to her as having "had to die" but is he just rationalizing what his boss did or was he there already at that point? Did he wake up to his powers 2 years before the MC already? Is Wakaba's murder another reason why he has to stay the fuck away from the party in a future rerelease beyond Haru's dad? :)P).

-Beyond that I think Akechi is a huge disappointment and then the way he is treated after his betrayal is just...so anime.

He goes from being the voice of an alternate morale perspective, which lingers at the back of the game's mind and then he is just revealed to be an evil hypocrite who of course doesn't believe what he's saying and is worse than you all with respect to it after all!

He goes from being a genuinely interesting rival to a stereotypical "dark" anime rival with daddy issues and then gets an obnoxious send-off.

-I also feel Sae's transformation could have been more convincing and while I like that she is awkward with your group and you even after she joins the good-side, the game never deals with what she'd been doing to, say, Sojiro up to that point. It is just sort of under the rug but she also isn't completely trusted and completely inside (as made explicit by her hanging around the cafe on the last day). It just sort of feels her narrative ends and she is left hanging without closure, which is sad because Sae/Makoto/Justice/their dad had been a really good story throughout the game.

-And then I also feel that the "turning on the public and apathy about corruption" was a fitting final act but the transition was awkward and sudden.

IDK. I think the game handles itself pretty well, for the most part, up until and including the November twist. I just think the fallout from that twist is disappointing and rushed.

PK Gaming

I hated him. So. Much.

UwvUsQF.gif

It frequently felt like Draymond wasn't comfortable with Akechi's style of speaking or the complexity of his character. For someone to play Akechi, they need to be able to convey multiple aspects of him at the same time. Akechi speaks quasi-formally, but he's also meant to be charming. He's polite, but his words are usually backhanded. He's confident, but there's doubt in him. He doesn't give a fuck, because if he stops for more than a second, he'll be crushed under his own guilt.

I felt like Draymond missed all of that. His delivery was frequently stilted and awkward, more focused on getting the words out clearly than making them feel right. His performance is okay when Akechi's mood is only meant to be just one thing at a time in a scene, but when he's not being super angsty or screaming, he just sounds like a drone who's too swept up in perfect enunciation to remember that he's actually supposed to be playing a character with, like, motives and feelings and shit.

Yuri would've been perfect for Akechi. After all, it's not like he doesn't already have on his resume a role of a terribly troubled detective character with a polite exterior that hides a nightmarish storm on the inside.

Who also undergoes a psychotic break at one point in the story and attacks his former teammates.

And is a rad-ass boss fight, arguably the best in the game.

And even tries once during the story to commit suicide.

(If you haven't played
The Evil Within
, you really should. It'll squash any trepidation you have about Yuri's voice being too "whiny" to do the psychotic scenes correctly.
Haunted!Joseph screaming, "Fuck you, Kidman!"
had me Shook for like a full two weeks.)

It's kind of hard to argue when you've laid it out so nicely, haha. My perspective might change when I go through NG+ with the original sub (from what little I've seen, JP Goro seem extremely good) but i'm so enamored with Robbie's take on Goro, so I dunno. It's definitely possible that he didn't fully convey Goro, but I really liked his take on it. Basically:

Screenshot_168.png

Also maybe i'm not giving Yuri enough credit. Too much Yosuke on the mind lmao.

Did someone mention how entertaining Akechi is? Add me to the defense force, Akechi made me smile more than any other character. He's just such an asshole all the time, it's fantastic.

I hated him. So. Much.

UwvUsQF.gif

It frequently felt like Draymond wasn't comfortable with Akechi's style of speaking or the complexity of his character. For someone to play Akechi, they need to be able to convey multiple aspects of him at the same time. Akechi speaks quasi-formally, but he's also meant to be charming. He's polite, but his words are usually backhanded. He's confident, but there's doubt in him. He doesn't give a fuck, because if he stops for more than a second, he'll be crushed under his own guilt.

I felt like Draymond missed all of that. His delivery was frequently stilted and awkward, more focused on getting the words out clearly than making them feel right. His performance is okay when Akechi's mood is only meant to be just one thing at a time in a scene, but when he's not being super angsty or screaming, he just sounds like a drone who's too swept up in perfect enunciation to remember that he's actually supposed to be playing a character with, like, motives and feelings and shit.
It's funny, because I agree with your description of Akechi's character, but I actually feel like the English VA nailed it; he was one of my favourites. I think there's an argument to be made that his psychotic lines aren't the best, but stuff like "Go down with me!" will probably sound stupid no matter who says it.

Also, it's Robbie Daymond, not Draymond.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't think most of us really think that akechi isn't fun, is more that his potential is wasted by the story.

You can tell Ryuji is a bad guy because he doesn't like coffee. I was expecting him to be the traitor just from that.
I don't like coffee. Fight me
Or don't, I don't care that much

I'm curious to see what I'll think of Ryuji once I finally play the game in English. I quite enjoyed him while playing the game in Japanese, but my comprehension wasn't overall exactly stellar.

I keep thinking about how Haru was introduced pretty late into the story, but more than that I keep thinking about how sad it is that she wasn't around for Futaba's arc. That was a hugely emotional month in the story and it's sad to me that Haru is the only Thief that wasn't around for it.

I'd love for her to be part of the team for it in the remake but I'm having trouble imagining how they'd be able to do it without making some pretty large changes to the latter half of the story...

Did someone mention how entertaining Akechi is? Add me to the defense force, Akechi made me smile more than any other character. He's just such an asshole all the time, it's fantastic.

Seriously, I LOVE characters who are just enormous dicks for the sake of being dicks and own it. Akechi is that in spades. He's almost David Lynch tiers of colorful dialogue and brazen, charming assholery.

It's funny, because I agree with your description of Akechi's character, but I actually feel like the English VA nailed it; he was one of my favourites. I think there's an argument to be made that his psychotic lines aren't the best, but stuff like "Go down with me!" will probably sound stupid no matter who says it.

Also, it's Robbie Daymond, not Draymond.

I don't know how that r got stuck in his name. In my defense, I was hopped up on NyQyuil during this rant. I'm still a little loopy, so bear with me.

I'm surprised to hear you say so, re: his performance, though. He too often felt flat to me, like he could only capture one aspect of the character at a time (and always always always deferred to Akechi's politeness and formality in lieu of his other traits; his backhanded comments lacked the passive aggressive bite that they needed, his charm did not come across at all to the point where I could not fucking fathom how this dude had a fan base, etc.), which made Akechi as a whole come off as flat. I really felt like the other actors carried him through every scene, which made his Leblanc scenes alone with Joker the absolute worst. And that sucks, because in terms of written dialogue, they're some of the best.

But I'll stop dunking on Robbie now. As much as I feel he should be recast in any spin-off or re-release, he did a serviceable enough job that the character clicked for me the first time around. It just took way longer than I think it should have (I legit did not warm up to Akechi until he shot Joker in the face, and that had nothing to do with Robbie's performance). It speaks to how strong Akechi's character was written, even if the narrative delivery of his story was a big old mess.

Antiwhippy

I dunno about him being a dick for the sake of being a dick. Like his motives are sadly understandable in a way, he's just going through it in a completely psychopathic way.

I meant in the way he interacts with people in conversation, not his overall motives for the objectively terrible things he does. He likes Sae, even, but the "stress is bad for the skin" line made me actually laugh out loud. He had no reason to say that other than to be a dick. There's a whole scene towards the beginning where he's a huge cock to Makoto for no reason, too, but he does it in such a way that I was just left going, "Oh, you."

Akechi was getting annoying day by day in the story to me. His major developments are really late into the story but he's a nice mini villain that needed much more expanded on. I always thought he just had a major crush on Sae but I was really freaked out when that turned out not to be the case after the reveal that he was killing people and causing mental shutdowns. That was unexpected at first until I suspected he was the traitor in Palace 6 very easily. He knew about the palace, somehow knew everything to do in the palace, etc. Those were my suspicions... that and his persona has both light and curse spells which made me think he was evil. I don't think they should have brought him at the end of palace 7 but they should have had him directly after Shido and have him kill Shido's shadow so we catch a glimpse of how psychotic he really was.

MoonFrog

This suggestion completely erases all of Akechi's character development, though.

Don't think he really had any. The game toys with having the MC "make him think throughout" the game and then jealousy is thrown in in the last encounter, but I don't think they really move him.

He was still willing to kill you so he could have Shido to himself. He was still very much bent on doing his thing.

He just wasn't going to get betrayed by Shido and let Shido not still have you to deal with.

If anything, he's a pot boiling, not a pot boiled and he could have landed either way.

Edit:

I do think separating him and Shido more and drawing out that narrative would probably have benefited them both.

Akechi literally killed himself in order to save the rest of the party, and that's somehow still not enough to signify a change in him?

Man, you guys are the toughest crowd.

MoonFrog

Akechi literally killed himself in order to save the rest of the party, and that's somehow still not enough to signify a change in him?

Man, you guys are the toughest crowd.

I don't see that coming from being redeemed or coming around. I see that from wanting his revenge to live on in some form.

Edit:

I guess to elaborate:

What changes at that moment is his master betrays him before he can betray his master, hence if he kills you all he is now doing his master's bidding not towards his own ends and he is going to get shot and die in either case. So he lets you live and salvages his revenge in the form of what you are doing.

I don't think he ever turns his back on his rationale for action and the lengths he is willing to go for it.

Maybe he does...but if that is what is going on in that moment, they chose the worst way to communicate it and the groundwork for it wasn't done any ways.

I don't see that coming from being redeemed or coming around. I see that from wanting his revenge to live on in some form.

Then you missed a lot in that scene and the scenes that preceded it.

Thinking that he killed Joker actually Fucked Akechi Up in a big way. After it happened, it was like he decided all at once that he didn't want to kill anymore. Shido tells him to go after the remaining Thieves. Akechi backs down and tries to talk him out of it. Shido tells him to go after any of their contacts that feels suspicious. Akechi backs down and tries to stall for time. "The election's so close" and "wait until after the election" are the lines he keeps pulling out, because he knows that he's going to take Shido down after the election -- meaning, none of these people have to die, and Akechi doesn't want to kill them.

His final TV appearance is a little bizarre and out of character; he's freaked out. He cuts in randomly when the announcers are talking to declare that he'll capture the remaining Phantom Thieves, when we already know that he has no plans or desire to do so. It was likely because he knew that Shido was watching and breathing down his neck following his newfound defiance. It could have even been a cry for help, trying to bait the Thieves into coming to him, since (as I've mentioned previously) he's been trying to get their attention on this ever since he joined the party. (ffs he even tries to catch Sae's attention about it.)

Later, when he figures out that he's been fucked up over something that didn't actually even happen in the first place -- that is what made him snap.
JOKER YOU HAVE TO DIE SO GAY THOUGHTS CAN'T CATCH ME /s
He realized the Thieves weren't going to help him, they had played him for a fool the same way as every adult in his life had, and now they were threatening to take the only thing he had left to him: his revenge.

Except, in his panic, he failed to see that his priorities had shifted at some point over the course of the story. His whole spiel about killing the Thieves and getting revenge on Shido is just a lie he's telling himself because he doesn't know what else to do anymore, and Morgana even calls him out on it. It isn't until Cognitive Akechi shows up that the real Akechi accepts this.

Exhibit A: Cognitive Akechi pulls a gun on the real Akechi. No fucks given. Look that fucker in the eye and dare that pussy to pull the trigger.

tumblr_oqkmi6cnV21r85trgo1_500.png

Exhibit B: Cognitive Akechi threatens the rest of the Phantom Thieves.

tumblr_oqkmi6cnV21r85trgo2_500.png

Exhibit C: O SHIT WADDUP

tumblr_oqkmi6cnV21r85trgo3_500.png

He's visibly distressed when the cognition threatens everyone else.

Think about what Akechi does in the scene that follows. He pulls a gun on Joker. Makes it seem like he's going to go through with it and kill them all. Then turns around and shoots the cognition instead.

"You're the one who's going to disappear!" The symbolism behind this line is staggering. No one hates Akechi more than Akechi does.

If all Akechi really cared about was getting his revenge on Shido and not about saving the Phantom Thieves, he would have gone along with the cognition's little game and then escaped in the chaos. He didn't do that. He instead made the decision to stay behind so that everyone else could get away.

The localizers also fucked up the translation for his final line. He doesn't say that his final opponent is a puppet version of himself; he says that it's "the puppet I used to be." That's a huge fuckin difference. At the end of it all, Akechi's free from Shido's grip completely -- including the emotional grip of his obsessive revenge.

Thinking that he killed Joker actually Fucked Akechi Up in a big way. After it happened, it was like he decided all at once that he didn't want to kill anymore. Shido tells him to go after the remaining Thieves. Akechi backs down and tries to talk him out of it. Shido tells him to go after any of their contacts that feels suspicious. Akechi backs down and tries to stall for time. "The election's so close" and "wait until after the election" are the lines he keeps pulling out, because he knows that he's going to take Shido down after the election -- meaning, none of these people have to die, and Akechi doesn't want to kill them.

His final TV appearance is a little bizarre and out of character; he's freaked out. He cuts in randomly when the announcers are talking to declare that he'll capture the remaining Phantom Thieves, when we already know that he has no plans or desire to do so. It was likely because he knew that Shido was watching and breathing down his neck following his newfound defiance. It could have even been a cry for help, trying to bait the Thieves into coming to him, since (as I've mentioned previously) he's been trying to get their attention on this ever since he joined the party. (ffs he even tries to catch Sae's attention about it.)

Later, when he figures out that he's been fucked up over something that didn't actually even happen in the first place -- that is what made him snap.
He realized the Thieves weren't going to help him, they had played him for a fool the same way as every adult in his life had, and now they were threatening to take the only thing he had left to him: his revenge.

Except, in his panic, he failed to see that his priorities had shifted at some point over the course of the story. His whole spiel about killing the Thieves and getting revenge on Shido is just a lie he's telling himself because he doesn't know what else to do anymore, and Morgana even calls him out on it. It isn't until Cognitive Akechi shows up that the real Akechi accepts this.

Exhibit A: Cognitive Akechi pulls a gun on the real Akechi. No fucks given. Look that fucker in the eye and dare that pussy to pull the trigger.

Think about what Akechi does in the scene that follows. He pulls a gun on Joker. Makes it seem like he's going to go through with it and kill them all. Then turns around and shoots the cognition instead.

"You're the one who's going to disappear!" The symbolism behind this line is staggering. No one hates Akechi more than Akechi does.

If all Akechi really cared about was getting his revenge on Shido and not about saving the Phantom Thieves, he would have gone along with the cognition's little game and then escaped in the chaos. He didn't do that. He instead made the decision to stay behind so that everyone else could get away.

The localizers also fucked up the translation for his final line. He doesn't say that his final opponent is a puppet version of himself; he says that it's "the puppet I used to be." That's a huge fuckin difference. At the end of it all, Akechi's free from Shido's grip completely -- including the emotional grip of his obsessive revenge.
Good write up. Even with his problems, I think there's a lot of interesting stuff going on with Akechi that gets dismissed a little too easily.

In regards to the bolded, though, fuck me. That's enough of a difference to change his final line from being goofy and out of place to actually relevant and conclusive. P5 is the most special snowflake in that the dialogue sounds overly literal while also missing the spirit of the original. It's like the worst of both worlds (at times anyways.)

Good write up. Even with his problems, I think there's a lot of interesting stuff going on with Akechi that gets dismissed a little too easily.

In regards to the bolded, though, fuck me. That's enough of a difference to change his final line from being goofy and out of place to actually relevant and conclusive. P5 is the most special snowflake in that the dialogue sounds overly literal while also missing the spirit of the original. It's like the worst of both worlds (at times anyways.)

That whole scene is just a complete mess that botches a lot of Akechi's intentions. I said this pages and pages and pages ago, but in the original Japanese, it's very very clear that when he makes the decision to go psychotic, he's not expecting to live through it. ("Go down with me!" literally translates to "I'll take you out along with me!" This was a kamikaze stunt that he failed to pull off.) The entire boss fight is a suicide attempt -- and the scene itself does end in Akechi's suicide anyway, ultimately. And Mona's call-out of his bullshit translates to, "You came to care for Joker" instead of, "You don't hate Joker." which is also a massive difference in tone and message.

Like, the whole thing is... really heavy in a way that was just lost in the English version. Akechi's backed into a corner with Shido and also freaked the heck out because he just spent the last month thinking that he'd killed the one person who actually meant something to him in his shit life, only to find out that he really didn't, and also the people who he thought he could rely on turned a deaf ear to his cries to help and triple played him in the process.

It's also intensely hypocritical of Akechi to feel that way re: The Phantom Thieves, but it's not like his head's in anywhere close to a clear place during any point in the game anyway.

Guess Who

Banned
That whole scene is just a complete mess that botches a lot of Akechi's intentions. I said this pages and pages and pages ago, but in the original Japanese, it's very very clear that when he makes the decision to go psychotic, he's not expecting to live through it. ("Go down with me!" literally translates to "I'll take you out along with me!" This was a kamikaze stunt that he failed to pull off.) The entire boss fight is a suicide attempt -- and the scene itself does end in Akechi's suicide anyway, ultimately. And Mona's call-out of his bullshit translates to, "You came to care for Joker" instead of, "You don't hate Joker." which is also a massive difference in tone and message.

Do you have a source for all this? I've never heard this before.

Like, the whole thing is... really heavy in a way that was just lost in the English version. Akechi's backed into a corner with Shido and also freaked the heck out because he just spent the last month thinking that he'd killed the one person who actually meant something to him in his shit life, only to find out that he really didn't, and also the people who he thought he could rely on turned a deaf ear to his cries to help and triple played him in the process.

It's also intensely hypocritical of Akechi to feel that way re: The Phantom Thieves, but it's not like his head's in anywhere close to a clear place during any point in the game anyway.
Damn. Well, I like Akechi a little more now, so . . . Mission accomplished? Haha. Thanks for sharing that, I had missed your earlier post. I have a soft spot for desperate characters who do desperate things--Yukari in The Answer is my personal favourite arc of the Hashino directed Persona games--so Akechi is right up my alley.

I thought the intent of "Go down with me!" was pretty clear, especially given how unhinged he was and the self-destructive nature of his power. It's worded in an awkward, unnatural way, but the spirit of it came through for me.

Guess Who

Banned
Yep. There's a whole bunch of interesting stuff in here, like just how badly the localizers fucked up the distinction between psychotic breakdowns vs mental shutdowns and stuff like that.

There's a lot of interesting stuff in here, thanks. Kind of annoying to find it between some incredibly pedantic "they didn't use literally the exact word for word phrasing I would use even though it still gets the point across" complaints, though.

Finally beat the game last night and first is first, the game is insanely long, i was getting fed up by palace 7 and it didnt help that palace 7 had like 5 fucking bosses and was the length of practically 2 palaces in one. Overall i really wnjoyed the game thouggh, a lot. Easily the best persona game to date. If they ever make a golden edition like they did with p4 they should make a few of the palaces shorter, a majority of them went on for far too long, the bank one and shido's are perfect examples of it. Also put me in the camp that aketchi was a wasted opportunity, they should have done more with him. I knew he was the traitor by the fieldtrip tho, i immediately noticed how he was talking about pancakes even though mona was the only one that ever said that word. Also what added to my suspicion was something silly like how he's not on the inside of the game's steelbook cover with everyone in their palace form 😛

MoonFrog

Or he seriously thinks that doing the killing now is stupid, which it is. You don't create crises in an election you are about to win.

Furthermore, take him to actually believe he has killed Joker and has the other thieves at an advantage.

Why rush things?

Or he is simply catching on that he was duped and is seeing signs the thieves are still active.

Or he is in a lose-lose situation and he chooses to sacrifice himself rather than lose to Shido.

Throw in the fact that he fights you and it is totally clear he is willing to "clean you up."

He only isn't willing when he can't get away with it and have his revenge.

The translation thing is the only thing that gives me pause in here, and in that case I fall back into "shit is poorly explicated and poorly delivered," which it is in either case.

I'm not convinced. I can see mixed motives. I can see jealousy. I also think he is still who he was.

Then beyond this, throw in that he is become stereotypical "dark" anime rival fare when he was something more interesting...and he is just a boring, bad character by the end.

Or he seriously thinks that doing the killing now is stupid, which it is. You don't create crises in an election you are about to win.

Furthermore, take him to actually believe he has killed Joker and has the other thieves at an advantage.

Why rush things?

You seem to have missed the big huge glaring detail that no one even remotely suspected Shido had anything to do with the mental shutdowns or psychotic breakdowns, because the cover-up operation that they had running was so good. He wasn't even a blip on the radar. If Akechi went through and followed his orders, it wouldn't have affected the election at all.

Or he is simply catching on that he was duped and is seeing signs the thieves are still active.

Nah, fam. You gotta watch that scene again. He doesn't slowly piece it together; there's no evidence to suggest this. It hits him all at once at a very specific moment.

Or he is in a lose-lose situation and he chooses to sacrifice himself rather than lose to Shido.

Throw in the fact that he fights you and it is totally clear he is willing to "clean you up."

He only isn't willing when he can't get away with it and have his revenge.

Uh... are you getting him mixed up with The Cleaner AKA Random Yakuza Dude?

The translation thing is the only thing that gives me pause in here, and in that case I fall back into "shit is poorly explicated and poorly delivered," which it is in either case.

I'm not convinced. I can see mixed motives. I can see jealousy. I also think he is still who he was.

Am I going to have to pull out the cognitive dissonance shitpost again? Don't tempt me. I'll do it.

When it comes to Akechi, multiple things can be true at the same time. He's not a simple character with a straightforward thought process.

There's a lot of interesting stuff in here, thanks. Kind of annoying to find it between some incredibly pedantic "they didn't use literally the exact word for word phrasing I would use even though it still gets the point across" complaints, though.
Yeah, some of the complaints there were pretty minor. I do think the emphasis on the "psychotic" translation is interesting though, because I remember around the time of the Japanese release that a lot of people were wondering how that concept would be translated.

MoonFrog

You seem to have missed the big huge glaring detail that no one even remotely suspected Shido had anything to do with the mental shutdowns or psychotic breakdowns, because the cover-up operation that they had running was so good. He wasn't even a blip on the radar. If Akechi went through and followed his orders, it wouldn't have affected the election at all.

Nah, fam. You gotta watch that scene again. He doesn't slowly piece it together; there's no evidence to suggest this. It hits him all at once at a very specific moment.

Uh... are you getting him mixed up with The Cleaner AKA Random Yakuza Dude?

Am I going to have to pull out the cognitive dissonance shitpost again? Don't tempt me. I'll do it.

When it comes to Akechi, multiple things can be true at the same time. He's not a simple character with a straightforward thought process.
Which is part of what I am saying...you're the one claiming he develops and changes.

I think he always hates himself, that he always has jealousy issues, and that he always wants revenge. Edit: And always sort of wanted to be Joker's friend.

You are trying to tell me that he develops out of the vengeful Akechi. I don't see it. Edit: There is a very clear way to read vengeance in his actions.

And again, even if he does...I still find that boring. I still find his last ark rushed. I still find it a betrayal of a more interesting character.

My problem with him isn't a grudge. It is that I think he is a boring, tropey character who could have been and flirted with being more.

And then the anime pity party at the end of the rushed "dark" Akechi storyline is just grating.

Which is part of what I am saying...you're the one claiming he develops and changes.

I think he always hates himself, that he always has jealousy issues, and that he always wants revenge.

You are trying to tell me that he develops out of the vengeful Akechi. I don't see it.

He does develop out of it, but only at the very very end. He doesn't break from his cognitive dissonance until he makes the decision to shoot his doppelganger.

You said there was no groundwork for that change. I've been giving you the groundwork for it. I'm not sure what else you want. You're not giving me much to work with past "nuh uh!"

Guess Who

Banned
Yeah, some of the complaints there were pretty minor. I do think the emphasis on the "psychotic" translation is interesting though, because I remember around the time of the Japanese release that a lot of people were wondering how that concept would be translated.

To be honest, I think "psychotic" actually works better than "rampage" in this context. "Rampage" usually has a specific violent implication and not, like, putting your dick in a hamburger.

MoonFrog

He does develop out of it, but only at the very very end. He doesn't break from his cognitive dissonance until he makes the decision to shoot his doppelganger.

You said there was no groundwork for that change. I've been giving you the groundwork for it. I'm not sure what else you want. You're not giving me much to work with past "nuh uh!"

As to the first bolded: I'm obviously unconvinced of that. He comes to kill you all/clean you up. That is at least in part why he does it.

Then, he turns on Shido when serving Shido no longer serves his revenge. Nothing you have said convinces me that that is not part of what is going through his mind.

As to the second bolded:

First, if I am unconvinced of the tip of your spear, I'm probably not going to agree with you that the thrust is indeed tending that way. I don't think any of the scenes you've portrayed read clearly the way you read them. In context of how I see the ending, I don't agree with your interpretation.

Second, as I've been saying, even if you were right, the whole thing is rushed, sudden, confined to a few scenes and just generally poorly done.

Note, that what I said above is I do see him as a "pot boiling." That has been my position all along. You'd have to convince me of the thrust of your point to convince me of the character development.

Further, if it is just at the very end, going back to the post that started this, why couldn't it be at the very end of his own dungeon?

PK Gaming

NQjgc89.gif

I can't even put into words how big of a difference that makes.

Goro (JP): 殺す!壊…ス!…ねじ伏せるっ! ("I'll kill you! I'll... break you! ...I'll MAKE you back down!")
Goro (EN): I will kill you! Destroy you! Crush you...!

Considering that Akechi literally says "I'm not going to let you off!" during his boss fight, the fact that they couldn't convey the idea that he's using what is obviously a police term is disappointing.

-(明智との確かな絆を感じる…) ("I feel a certain bond with Akechi...")
-(I sense a solid bond between me and Akechi...)
!! This is a weird error. In the Japanese version, Goro is one of the only characters with a different rank 10 message - for almost everyone else, it's "[name]との固い絆を感じる…" ("I feel a solid bond with [name]..."). Somehow, this distinction got lost in the localization, and instead of getting a personalized rank 10 message, Goro ended up with the same generic message as most of the other characters.

Haha. I remember criticizing the game for using the generic message in such a ridiculous situation, but it wasn't even in the Japanese version. Fantastic.

As to the first bolded: I'm obviously unconvinced of that. He comes to kill you all/clean you up. That is at least in part why he does it.

Then, he turns on Shido when serving Shido no longer serves his revenge. Nothing you have said convinces me that that is not part of what is going through his mind.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. His revenge was always plotted out against Shido; he was always going to turn on him. Always, always, always. That was like, his whole thing. His entire goal was to royally fuck Shido's asshole up in the most public and humiliating way possible. He offered his services to Shido with the explicit intention of turning on him eventually.

What did you think his revenge was for?

Further, if it is just at the very end, going back to the post that started this, why couldn't it be at the very end of his own dungeon?

His own dungeon, as in an Akechi palace? Persona users can't have palaces.

Antiwhippy

NQjgc89.gif

I can't even put into words how big of a difference that makes.

Considering that Akechi literally says "I'm not going to let you off!" during his boss fight, the fact that they couldn't convey the idea that he's using what is obviously a police term is disappointing.

Haha. I remember criticizing the game for using the generic message in such a ridiculous situation, but it wasn't even in the Japanese version. Fantastic.

That's... Bad enough that it really messes up how people percieve a character.

PK Gaming

Something to consider:

Goro (JP): いつだって心が『自由』だ。僕とは反対…心底羨ましい。("Your heart is always free. The opposite of me... I envy that from the bottom of my heart.")
Goro (EN): And so, your heart is always free. The exact opposite of mine. To be honest, I'm envious...

This is pretty worrying. I accepted the stiff, overly literal translations on the condition that they at least captured the original intent, but it seems like they couldn't even manage that. It's the worst of both worlds, and thinking back on all of the stuff that might have been lost in translation is...upsetting.

someone buy me a jailbroken ps3 and i will personally re-edit the entire persona 5 script. i'm not even joking

Don't tempt me...!

pfft so are most game protagonists.

Akechi was a kid in an impossible situation. Like, literally a child. He was like fourteen the first time he killed someone, and it was probably an accident, judging from the way he and Shido talk about Wakaba's death. From there, he was groomed into a hitman by his own father. His cries for help at Sae and the Thieves show that he's wanted out for a long time.

My heart just breaks for him.

Antiwhippy

Tbf i usually don't enjoy games with a lot of killing that feels out of context for the character and situation, and usually don't emphatise with the protagonist of those games either. :p

In persona is more like you're fighting against concepts than humans really, so that's ok!

PK Gaming

If the P5 remake doesn't have a Goro scenario (everything from his perspective from the moment he gains his Persona to when he "dies") then it'll have been a major missed opportunity. They need to expand on his character.

PK Gaming

Remember when we had like a 2 page discussion on whether Akechi would betray the Phantom Thieves or not? Guess we know the answer to that now!

Top Bottom