• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Mr Swine

Banned
I have pretty similar sticks: CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 is the part # via CPU-Z.

Googling that I get this: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-lpx-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c15-memory-kit-black-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15

According to the GB forum post you should be able to run them at 3200MHz. Might need to disable XMP and just do it manually but in theory it should work. Good luck!

My Corsair Vengeance LPX sticks are CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 and I think I have XMP enabled in the bios. I'm going to wait for 1.0.0.6 to try and run them at 3200Mhz

My Corsair Vengeance LPX sticks are CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 and I think I have XMP enabled in the bios. I'm going to wait for 1.0.0.6 to try and run them at 3200Mhz

I have the same RAM and a MSI x370 Pro Carbon board with default bios 1.3. I changed my voltage to 1.3 and the timings to 16,16,16,18, 36 and manually clocked my Ryzen 1700 to 3.6. XMP is disabled.

I can get my RAM to 2966 but not 3200. I was going to wait for bios 1.6 before I update (I don't need to update in order do I?)

Papacheeks

Banned
I have the same RAM and a MSI x370 Pro Carbon board with default bios 1.3. I changed my voltage to 1.3 and the timings to 16,16,16,18, 36 and manually clocked my Ryzen 1700 to 3.6. XMP is disabled.

I can get my RAM to 2966 but not 3200. I was going to wait for bios 1.6 before I update (I don't need to update in order do I?)

I have a Asrock Fatality Gaming B350 board and was able to get my ddr4 3200 stable at 2933 with default voltage. But changed it when I overclocked my CPU to 3.9 to 1.35.

Everything running rock solid after testing.

ViciousDS

Banned
·feist·;238903092 said:
↑↑↑↑↑
Guru3D somehow forgot the ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac exists:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238434498&postcount=2942
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11473/asrock-miniitx-x370-gaming-itxac
http://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?ID=3625

From what little I've seen, the ASRock AB350 Pro4 seems better suited to 4- and 6-core CPUs if you intend to overclock. Most mATX B350 owners appear to be running MSI Mortar/Tomahawk, Asus Prime/Gaming or Gigabyte options.

Buildzoid breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzRG_LjUl8Q
http://www.overclock.net/t/1628404/asrock-ab350m-pro4-any-good
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/asrock-ab350-pro4-with-r7-1700.2503957/
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20753876096

Also see here:

I don't recommend anyone do anything they are not comfortable with, particularly as it relates to UEFI/BIOS updates.

A quick search shows that JZ Elec. have been posting Intel and AMD BIOS updates for years. The new ASRock AM4 betas are also posted here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1626177/asrock-fatal1ty-x370-gaming-pro/120#post_26132299
http://www.overclock.net/t/1627407/asrock-x370-taichi-overclocking-thread/600#post_26132901
https://www.techpowerup.com/233983/tpu-ryzen-bios-digest-issue-7

A separate and better known source would be 8Pack who is an OcUK contributer, custom builder and overclocker known globally:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=8pack+oc

The ASRock thread [support/feedback/etc]
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...t-feedback-etc.18760683/page-28#post-30822506

***As always waiting for each motherboard manufacturer to post each release on their mobo support page is the most reliable source for updates.***

FUCK, so should I return it? I don't plan on overclocking, but what would be a good mITX board to grab then? I have a baller wifi card so it doesn't need to be built in, I just need the graphics card in the bottom slot for airflow and then a PCI-E above it for the network card

edit: i have to return it lol, I got a mATX board instead of a mITX board

ah,, damn

Datschge

From looking at the socket, it looks like the chip is literally two Ryzen R7's bolted together.
The socket is actually for 4 dies equal to Ryzen, i.e. Epyc. Threadripper uses only about half of it (nobody knows yet if Epyc would work on it).

Kayant

FUCK, so should I return it? I don't plan on overclocking, but what would be a good mITX board to grab then? I have a baller wifi card so it doesn't need to be built in, I just need the graphics card in the bottom slot for airflow and then a PCI-E above it for the network card

edit: i have to return it lol, I got a mATX board instead of a mITX board

ah,, damn
Well if you already have a wifi card and want to continue to use it then M-atx above is the only way to use it. You only get one PCI-E slot with mini-itx.

ViciousDS

Banned
Well if you already have a wifi card and want to continue to use it then M-atx above is the only way to use it. I only get one PCI-E slot with mini-itx.

do you have built in wi-fi? My current ITX build for the LGA1151 has a nice 801ac wifi card built in and its perfect

but every case I see for mATX has the GPU venting to the......window with no ventilation.....who the fuck designs that? Unless I'm looking at it wrong. But almost every nice case has a solid view window with no holes for any ventilation. While my ITX case vents the entire GPU and its fucking perfect in air flow

edit: im an idiot even further.....most mATX cases have sides the flip around allowing you to put the vent side wherever you want lol

theultimo

I'm using a corsair carbide air 240 MATX and it has perfect airflow through.

I've found cube type towers are usually better designed for mATX.

Kayant

do you have built in wi-fi? My current ITX build for the LGA1151 has a nice 801ac wifi card built in and its perfect

but every case I see for mATX has the GPU venting to the......window with no ventilation.....who the fuck designs that? Unless I'm looking at it wrong. But almost every nice case has a solid view window with no holes for any ventilation. While my ITX case vents the entire GPU and its fucking perfect in air flow

edit: im an idiot even further.....most mATX cases have sides the flip around allowing you to put the vent side wherever you want lol
Ha well I don't know much about airflow but it seems to work :D

Case fans probably take care of most of the heat generated.

Sounds like you need mini itx and just use the on-board one that comes with the motherboard of your choice.

Atm I have wifi via a PCI-E card in a M-ATX case. Tbh I don't really need wifi but just have it in case a situation comes up for it.

Thinking of going mini-itx when I upgrade to Ryzen.

ViciousDS

Banned
Ha well I don't know much about airflow but it seems to work :D

Case fans probably take care of most of the heat generated.

Sounds like you need mini itx and just use the on-board one that comes with the motherboard of your choice.

Atm I have wifi via a PCI-E card in a M-ATX case. Tbh I don't really need wifi but just have it in case a situation comes up for it.

Thinking of going mini-itx when I upgrade to Ryzen.

problem is the only current ITX board available i see has no wifi built, so I guess I'm going with mATX

I sadly have been searching after getting the wrong board and notice only one ITX board available on newegg for AM4 socket....its biostar and has no wi-fi :(

Kayant

problem is the only current ITX board available i see has no wifi built, so I guess I'm going with mATX

I sadly have been searching after getting the wrong board and notice only one ITX board available on newegg for AM4 socket....its biostar and has no wi-fi :(
Yh looks like you're going to have to wait sadly unless your case supports mATX.

Personally looking to get the Asrock B350 gaming itx/ac.

saunderez

That's the stuff I have. Hynix M-die (see screenshot below). With 1006 I managed to get it running at 3200 but it took a lot of trial error. XMP needs to be off, multiplier manually set to 32. Manually set the timings to the XMP settings except for tRC - needs to be 56 instead of 54 or the board won't POST. No need to mess around with the advanced stuff. Set DDR voltage to 1.37 and you should be in business. I like giving a tiny bump to SoC voltatge (0.18 I think) but it's probably not necessary. I think it's posted first time every time but it may have a false start every now if memory training fails

59JZPOr.png

If you can't upgrade to 1006 yet just try bumping the DDR voltage and manually setting the multiplier and timings as above and it might be enough.

I want to buy one for video editing and gaming. What do you guys recommend. I don't need 4K. I'm only editing and gaming at 1080p.

Extremely happy with my 1700. I have it running at 3600 it's breathed new life into my aging R9 290 OC. Minimum framerates have improved dramatically to the point I can actually play games that ran like shit on my old CPU. And there's enough cores to set the core affinity and encode a video on 4 cores while playing a game on the other 4. It worked surprisingly well actually, I played Everspace the entire time the video was encoding and barely even noticed it. Multitasking is the future lol.

Canada Computers & Electronics [YouTube] —— Wait, 3600mhz Ram with Ryzen!?! Its Possible!!!

lol I know this exists too as well as its B350 cousin. I'm just impatient for some options :p
Heh, yeah I meant Guru3D's remark which seemed to indicate they weren't aware.

Is there any update on the ASUS Strix boards coming for Ryzen?
This month, depending on your region.

Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming Review
https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/06/02/asus-rog-strix-b350-f-gaming-review/1

bittech_exceptional_s9ljdk.png

While shown earlier, they've only now been officially announced (with reviews currently being posted):

PC Perspective —— ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Strix X370-F Gaming and Strix B350-F Gaming

ASUS just announced two new members of their Strix motherboard series for AMD's Ryzen, the Strix X370-F Gaming and Strix B350-F Gaming.
AVAILABILITY
ASUS ROG Strix X370-F Gaming and Strix B350-F Gaming Motherboards will be available in early June at leading resellers in North America.

Arex

Is that the best mini ITX board of those currently announced? It sure seems like it.

It looks better than the others imo, but the layout of some of the ports seem weird o_O
The amount of usb ports are great tho, although there's no usb-c

I'm just waiting for any of the Asrock and Gigabyte to come out first really. Sucks that we still don't know about availability. May end up going matx x_x

Paragon

Would getting a 10-core or 12-core Threadripper CPU for video editing be a logical choice, or is it diminishing returns past 8-core?
Video editing/encoding usually scales pretty well, but the question is whether performance scales in line with cost.
I expect that it will cost quite a bit more than 25% extra to move from B350/X370 plus an R7-1700/X to X399 with a 10-core Threadripper.
You can get an R7-1700 for $300 and a B350 board for about $100.
I would expect a 10-core Threadripper to cost at least $500 and the board to be at least $200.

No harm in waiting if you don't need the system right now though.

A brief sampling of Computex 2017 articles and video links:

| Ryzen Computex 2017 |

| ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac (AM4 ITX) |

| Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (AM4 ITX) |

| Asus ROG Crosshair VI Extreme (Asus ATX Flagship for AM4) |

| MSI X370 Gaming M7 (MSI ATX Flagship for AM4) |

| QNAP TS-x77 NAS Box (4/6/8-core Ryzen) |

PR_x77_en.jpg

| Dell Inspiron 27 7000 & Inspiron 24 5000 (AIO Desktops) + Dell Inspiron Gaming Tower |

| Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC (Gaming Laptop) |

That Threadripper chip is Huuuggeeeeee!

| Threadripper Socket TR4/SP3 Coolers |

| Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7 |

| ASRock X399 Taichi & ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming |

| Asus ROG X399 Zenith Extreme |

gt86

So I need some advice, my first build was 1700, aorus gaming K5, gksill trident rgb. Well after about 2 weeks it would no longer boot and all I got was the red led light for CPU (which I now realize I looked at wrong and was dram instead). So I ordered the ASRock gaming k4 thinking the first motherboard died. Turns out it's the shitty gskill trident ram, I seem to be having the rgb software corrupting the spd problem. One stick was dead and the other working, sent in the dead stick for rma, few days later the second stick dies. Sent it in for rma. PLEASE don't buy gskill trident rgb ram. I now have the Corsair vengeance rbg kit and working great. Long story short, would you keep the asrock mb or gigabyte?

kotodama

Is that the best mini ITX board of those currently announced? It sure seems like it.

Liking the Asrock board myself. I wish Asus would get an IMPACT ITX board out though.

Would getting a 10-core or 12-core Threadripper CPU for video editing be a logical choice, or is it diminishing returns past 8-core?

Video editing seems to scale pretty well the more cores you have. Just saw a friend yesterday render on an old Intel i-series and then render on his 1700 and it went from 10 minutes to 2 minutes and almost real time. I'd like to see what Threadrippper could do to his work flow. Epyc would be nuts.

Video editing seems to scale pretty well the more cores you have. Just saw a friend yesterday render on an old Intel i-series and then render on his 1700 and it went from 10 minutes to 2 minutes and almost real time. I'd like to see what Threadrippper could do to his work flow. Epyc would be nuts.

It depends on the software used. For example, Adobe Premier does hit diminishing returns at about the eight thread mark. I would be surprised if Threadripper results in an noticeable gains in Premier compared to a similarly clocked Ryzen 7.

sikkinixx

Got my 1600 and ASRock B350m installed. Just waiting for the kid to head to bed so I can get things all fired up. RX580 coming in a few weeks. Pretty excited. It's been six years since I got my 2500k that I'm replacing.

Gotta say though. The Matx board in replacing (an Asus ROG Gene something or another) is a much nicer looking and feeling board than the cheaper ASRock. Wish I had the extra cash to get something a bit beefier in that respect.

The Stilt recently released his Ryzen Timing Checker software tool. It's a nice compliment to Thaiphoon Burner, which has been around for years now.

Between the two you can get the exact info of your DRAM kit's complete factory spec, and see what your motherboard currently has your kit running at. Good for users who either can not get XMP/DOCP auto settings to work properly, or those looking to tweak.

Thaiphoon Burner - Official Support Website
http://www.softnology.biz/

Ryzen Timing Checker
http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/18220#post_26137022

The Stilt:

RTC (Ryzen Timing Checker)

PW: "RyzenDRAM"

x86-64 only.

Supports Zeppelin & Raven based Ryzens.

Let me know if (when) you find bugs.

Got my 1600 and ASRock B350m installed. Just waiting for the kid to head to bed so I can get things all fired up. RX580 coming in a few weeks. Pretty excited. It's been six years since I got my 2500k that I'm replacing.

Gotta say though. The Matx board in replacing (an Asus ROG Gene something or another) is a much nicer looking and feeling board than the cheaper ASRock. Wish I had the extra cash to get something a bit beefier in that respect.
To be fair, that Gene is one of the best high-end boards of its generation, regardless of form factor, and the B350s are capable but still built to a cost. Of course some aspects of build quality and components have filter down in the years that separate the two boards, though the Asus was roughly double (or more in some regions) the price of current B350 mATX options.

So I need some advice, my first build was 1700, aorus gaming K5, gksill trident rgb. Well after about 2 weeks it would no longer boot and all I got was the red led light for CPU (which I now realize I looked at wrong and was dram instead). So I ordered the ASRock gaming k4 thinking the first motherboard died. Turns out it's the shitty gskill trident ram, I seem to be having the rgb software corrupting the spd problem. One stick was dead and the other working, sent in the dead stick for rma, few days later the second stick dies. Sent it in for rma. PLEASE don't buy gskill trident rgb ram. I now have the Corsair vengeance rbg kit and working great. Long story short, would you keep the asrock mb or gigabyte?
Your post wasn't clear as there's a B350 version of the ASRock K4 as well as an X370 version of the ASRock K4

If it's Gigabyte X370 -vs- ASRock B350, I'd have the Gigabyte. If they're both X370 boards, the decision is tougher.

Here are some of the difference between Gigabyte's Gaming K7 (+ Gaming 5) and the Gaming K5:

https://techreport.com/news/31658/aorus-ga-ax370-gaming-k5-mobo-trims-a-little-fat

The Tech Report didn't mention the K7 vs K5 VRM differences, which you can see by simply looking at the board layout in photos.

The Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 is generally well rated and IIRC was one of the boards with better overall RAM compatibility as ASRock had been releasing regular BIOS updates (betas included). However this has changed in favor of the Gigabyte K5 since the company have now posted their AGESA 1.0.0.6 beta BIOS on their motherboard support site. It may not matter much if the ASRock on 1.0.0.4 runs your RAM at full speed:

http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-K5-rev-10#support-dl
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4/index.asp#BIOS

It's version "F3b" in beta form, though will likely be changed to version "F3" once out of beta (with the beta then being removed from their official site).

If you can return either board, regardless of having opened the boxes, I'd take the time to try both first hand, really. It may seem cumbersome and time-consuming but real life experience with them, running their latest BIOS/UEFI updates and how they play with your other components, is invaluable.

If you don't have a techbench, simply running the PC on a safe, non electrically conductive surface for a brief period should be sufficient (few days, weeks or whatever time frame you need before the motherboard's return period ends):

Just keep it away from drinks, pets and children...

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/11/6-essential-tips-for-first-time-pc-builders/

Getting a part that's dead on arrival is rare, but it does happen — one look at reviews on Newegg will tell you that. The last thing you want to do is spend a day building your computer only to plug it in and have a DOA motherboard. Thankfully, your motherboard's box makes a perfect test bench: put your motherboard on top of its box, install your CPU, RAM, CPU cooler and video card (if applicable), plug in your power supply's 24-pin and 8-pin power cables, hook it up to a monitor and fire it up (which you can do using your motherboard's power button, if it has one or a screwdriver). If you can at least get into the BIOS, you'll at least know nothing's dead. From there, just put your mostly built motherboard into your case, screw everything in, and hook up your fans, case headers and other accessories. It won't add very much time to your build, but it will save you a lot of time if you get a dead component.

More VRM info to compare boards (ASRock X370 K4 has a better power section than Gigabyte X370 Gaming K5):

·feist·;231164071 said:

Linus' recent critique of Intel's X299 launch and apparent response to Ryzen mainstream and Threadripper HEDT is getting picked up by tech press:

PCGH (PC Games Hardware) —— Intel X299: 'Linus Tech Tips' harshly criticizes the Intel platform

Wouldn't surprise me if some sites who agree with him also post Linus' video as well, as a way of getting the message across without themselves (potentially) upsetting Intel.

preis-pro-kern-pcghwtsdm.png

Price-per-core

PCGH (PC Games Hardware) —— Core X versus Ryzen: Core-inflation or inflationary cores?

Google Translate:

A look at the table below reveals several interesting points:

• The most affordable 6-core processor at Intel costs again 389 US dollars: the Core i7-7800X of 2017 (by the way the only one) has thus the same cost per core as the Core i7 5820K of 2014.

• Intel has massively rebuilt its portfolio: 8 cores cost 1,089 USD in 2016, 2017 it is 599 US dollars. This is 44 percent less. The calculation looks similar for 10-core nuclei. Here, it is 42 percent less (1,723 at 6950X versus 999 at 7900X).

• From the absurdly high core prices at Broadwell-E, Intel has passed. The Core i7 6950X and the Core i7 6900K are lonely front-runners at the cost per core. The 6950X is 37 per cent more expensive per core than the 5960X.

• For the Core i9, the cost per core is increasing almost linearly - from ten to 14 cores, it is exactly 100 US dollars per core, only for the 16- and 18-core the price rises slightly.

• Ryzen plays in another prize league. At the cost per core are all Ryzens below the Intel CPUs of 2014 and 2016. Even compared to the 2017-Core-X, the Ryzens are good. Especially the R7 1700 drops positively with 41 US dollar per core.​

All in all, it can be said that Intel has in any case with 8- and 10-Kernern massively at the price screw rotated - with 6-Kernern only little. We are therefore curious about how AMD is setting up its threadripper CPUs for cores and prices - Intel has submitted, now AMD needs to respond.

We know that AMD make large APUs for consoles, so... Theoretically, could AMD produce a Threadripper sized APU? Would it be cheaper to repurpose existing technology this way instead of engineering an entire new large chip? Isn't that the purpose of their new modular design? Could they make one with half of the chip being Ryzen with the other half being Vega cores?

DonMigs85

We know that AMD make large APUs for consoles, so... Theoretically, could AMD produce a Threadripper sized APU? Would it be cheaper to repurpose existing technology this way instead of engineering an entire new large chip? Isn't that the purpose of their new modular design? Could they make one with half of the chip being Ryzen with the other half being Vega cores?
Yeah this is what I'm hoping for PS5. At least 4 to 6 Ryzen cores on one side, and a 4096 SP Vega on the other.

FingerBang

So, the time has finally come and tomorrow I'll have a Ryzen 5 1600 (and everything else) in my hands. Since it is impossible to find a RX 580 for a decent price, I went for a GTX 1060 (we're talking about AMD being 70-100 more expensive). Really wanted to make an AMD build but I need a desktop now, mainly not for gaming. When Vega and Volta come out I might think about changing GPU and monitor (got an ASUS 27" 1080p for now, might change it or get another one). Honestly I don't think a higher resolution means much to me since I will still play most games on my TV, sitting on the couch (with a PS4 controller).

Let's hope for the RAM. Spent a few hours just checking for compatibility and I am still not completely sure everything will work as it should. :\

Yeah this is what I'm hoping for PS5. At least 4 to 6 Ryzen cores on one side, and a 4096 SP Vega on the other.

Would it be cheap enough for consoles, though?

One would think that using a modular design versus recreating the wheel with every design would have certain cost benefits, but would it be enough?

tkscz

So how big of a difference is there between the 1600x and 1600? Just wondering if the extra $30 is worth it.

magenta

So how big of a difference is there between the 1600x and 1600? Just wondering if the extra $30 is worth it.

Aside from the difference in base clock speed you also have to factor in that the R5 1600X does not come with a cooler, you have to buy one separately. The regular 1600 however does include one. So its more than just $30 FYI.

Mr Swine

Banned
Aside from the difference in base clock speed you also have to factor in that the R5 1600X does not come with a cooler, you have to buy one separately. The regular 1600 however does include one. So its more than just $30 FYI.

It's also about the X Ryzen CPU's are better binned than the none X rysen's. So essentially it means that the 1600x can run at a higher speed than the 1600 and that the 1600 at the same speed will produce more heat and use more electricity at the same speed

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So, the time has finally come and tomorrow I'll have a Ryzen 5 1600 (and everything else) in my hands. Since it is impossible to find a RX 580 for a decent price, I went for a GTX 1060 (we're talking about AMD being 70-100 more expensive). Really wanted to make an AMD build but I need a desktop now, mainly not for gaming. When Vega and Volta come out I might think about changing GPU and monitor (got an ASUS 27" 1080p for now, might change it or get another one). Honestly I don't think a higher resolution means much to me since I will still play most games on my TV, sitting on the couch (with a PS4 controller).

Let's hope for the RAM. Spent a few hours just checking for compatibility and I am still not completely sure everything will work as it should. :\

The 1060 is a fine GPU. Although, you would have been fine going with a 480 from someone like Sapphire

tkscz

It's also about the X Ryzen CPU's are better binned than the none X rysen's. So essentially it means that the 1600x can run at a higher speed than the 1600 and that the 1600 at the same speed will produce more heat and use more electricity at the same speed

Well I don't plan on overclocking so the X sounds better just because of less heat.

Datschge

AMD has been modularizing their CPU and GPU parts since the start of Bulldozer, so they already focus on repurposing existing technology. Both the PS4 and the Xbox One already use a processor combining 2 modules with 4 cores each, just like the currently common Ryzen die ended up consisting of. I'd say it's clear AMD is using the R&D for these semi custom solutions to gain experience for its own product. Similarly the R&D into the APU packaging for Scorpio may be a part for the Zen APUs Raven Ridge. (Please note that I'm strictly talking about packaging and uncore stuff here, it's obvious both consoles are still based on Jaguar.)

Regarding your last question, that's what Raven Ridge (aka Ryzen Mobile) is about, combining Zen cores with Vega cores. Of course such could be used for consoles as well, though naturally they'd need to be lower clocked than what we are used to seeing on desktops. Cost is usually a matter of timing, though current Zen dies already have quite a high yield already (which is necessary to keep cost down).

how far can you overlock your ryzen 1800X? I get to 4.1 ghz on all cores.
That's already the feasible upper limit of the 14LPP process node used.

Top Bottom