• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
·feist·;240664172 said:
If you've tried to flash more than once, or re-downloaded the BIOS (in case of possible corruption) and you're still getting that error that is indeed odd. If so, ASRock needs to have their BIOS team fix that immediately.

Black screen (instead of BSOD) may mean a few things, though from my experience on Ryzen it seems you need to make some minor adjustments for full stability.

Retest without a mem. OC and go from there. Unless you have an issue which is different from what I've observed, I believe you should be close and perhaps slight voltage increases may be in order for you to dial in those speeds. Refer to the steps, links and tutorials in my previous post.

Remember, full speed on your RAM is actually on overclock over DDR4 standard speeds.

Clock your RAM adjusting your CPU speeds. Unless I'm mistaken, it appears you may have Hynix dies - so *generally* not as compatible as Samsung dies overall.

To quickly summarise the last post, you'll need to go set aside some free time and go step-by-step to get your RAM running above 2666 (which it should be able to once you're running a 1006-based BIOS).

Clear settings after each of these options:

1. Starting with 100% default BIOS settings (usually called something like "Load Optimised Settings"). Save and exit after "Load Opt Settings" Re-enter BIOS then select each of the available XMP profiles listed in your BIOS, one at a time and try to boot after each selection (fail? then clear re-enter and try booting with next available profile).

2. Try those XMP profiles but change voltage from "Auto" to "Manual" for: DRAM, CPU-SOC, and try the "troubleshoot" voltage range I listed in the post above.

3. Disable XMP, then manually set your RAM speed and timings (2933, timing for your CL15 spec memory are here: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=8GX-D4-3000-MR) DRAM keep DRAM voltage @ around 1.35v and CPU-SOC no higher than 1.2v (1.15v should hopefully be high enough for your testing/troubleshooting)

4. Try full manual settings aain with XMP disabled as in #3 listed above. Instead of using the full specs listed for your exact RAM, try higher/looser timing like 18-20-20-36 or something along those lines.

Generally, as lower priced boards, the B350s will often have fewer BIOS options, PCB layers and less tolerance in terms of overclocking than the X370s. Hope this helps. It may seem cumbersome, but it gets easier as you get the hang for tweaking this platform in specific and tweaks of AMD/Intel in general.

My last post has a lot of helpful links (which lead to further links), with many of them not being overly technical. Even if a tutorial is for an X370 board from a different manufacturer, they tend to have common options that carry over across all Ryzens, or are universal for tweaking tech.

Take some time and see how it goes for you. Of all the links available through my previous post, these two in particular may be helpful for you to go through (remember to try the other links if needed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgpHTaQ10k

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/05/25/community-update-4-lets-talk-dram

Thanks for the info! This helped a lot. Right now, I have the RAM set to 2666 and it has worked for several days without issue. Once i get some time off. I'll explore and see if I can get it pushed to 2933.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I will say this, I am big time disappointed with how long it takes my ASRock B350 Ryzen 1600X to boot up. It takes like 45 seconds and I always get the sense of dread that it might not turn on!

My old i7 3770/ Gigabyte Z77 booted up real fast, but had old school BIOS.

ANy suggestions for how to improve?

I will say this, I am big time disappointed with how long it takes my ASRock B350 Ryzen 1600X to boot up. It takes like 45 seconds and I always get the sense of dread that it might not turn on!

Not really. I think part of that is RAM training, although maybe getting on the latest BIOS could help.

Toe-Knee

I have this same issue on my msi b350m gaming pro though is only 5-10 seconds .

Msi said it was a bug in the firmware and would be patched out.

ASUS North America [YouTube] —— ASUS B350 & X370 Ryzen Overclocking Walkthrough

Canada Computers & Electronics [YouTube] —— The BEST way to overclock Ryzen!?!

Tech City [YouTube] —— Is a $160 CPU Enough for Gaming? [R5 1400 @ 4GHz -vs- i7 7700K @ 5GHz]

BPS Customs [YouTube] —— B350 Motherboards - Choices For Your Ryzen 5!

BPS Customs [YouTube] —— X370 Motherboard Roundup! What's Right for Your Ryzen?

Varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and motherboard model to motherboard model. This can and has been address by different vendors through the updates they've provided since launch.

As long as you have Fast Boot enabled, and don't have any components causing conflicts while they initialise at star up, there's isn't much else you can do but await further updates for your specific model to improve this.

https://twitter.com/austinnotduncan/status/875098061856362496

Austin Evans‏Verified account @austinnotduncan

I got to touch Threadripper. So huge. 😍

dct5cmzuaaavlazr8us1.jpg

ComputerBase —— Dirt 4: CPU and GPU benchmarks show surprises [German]

Google Translate:

Correspondingly, Intel's Core i7-7700K is the fastest CPU in Dirt 4 - if only in the more theoretical tests in 1.280 × 720. There it lies ten percent before the Core i5-7600K and also ten percent before the Core i7-6850K, Whose additional cores remain unused. Accordingly, the new Ryzen CPUs from AMD are equally up and just behind the competition. The difference is 21 percent to the Core i7-7700K and ten percent to the Core i7-6850K and Core i5-7600K.

But there is a big "but". Because the Intel processors cut in Dirt 4 only with the average FPS well. For the frametimes given in 99.0th percentile, the picture turns interestingly. In 1,280 × 720 are both the Ryzen 7 1800X and the Ryzen 5 1600X and the Ryzen 5 1500X on the level of the Core i7-7700K. The other Intel offshoots, especially the Core i7-6850K, are slightly behind.

In 1,920 × 1,080 AMD even manages to turn the image completely. Then even the Ryzen 5 1500X calculates faster than the Core i7-7700K - namely four percent. The Ryzen 7 1800X is eleven percent faster at the slowest frametimes than the Core i7-6850K.

"For the processor tests the Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC is used."
cb-dirt4-720plbuxe.png
cb-dirt4-1080p4wuhn.png

Google Translate:

- The processor tests show both AMD and Intel as the winner

Significantly greater differences exist in the CPU tests. There are two winners. With the classic average FPS, the Intel processors, especially the Core i7-7700K, are in front of the Ryzen processors from AMD. At least in theory. Because even in Full HD then a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti to limit.

In the Frametime measurements, the image is reversed. Even a Ryzen 5 1500X then beats a Core i7-7700K and leaves the Core i7-6850K clearly in view of the different price. The statements are more interesting, especially for higher resolutions. In critical scenes Ryzen therefore delivers more performance than the Core series. On the average, Intel is faster than AMD.

V_Arnold

"In the Frametime measurements, the image is reversed. Even a Ryzen 5 1500X then beats a Core i7-7700K and leaves the Core i7-6850K clearly in view of the different price. The statements are more interesting, especially for higher resolutions. In critical scenes Ryzen therefore delivers more performance than the Core series. On the average, Intel is faster than AMD."

This sounds like something some folks on this board will have a hard time sidelining, given that frametimes and 0.01% slowdowns were the most critizied (rightfully so!) aspects of previous amd cpus. Seems like there is still room left to grow for both manufacturers.

"In the Frametime measurements, the image is reversed. Even a Ryzen 5 1500X then beats a Core i7-7700K and leaves the Core i7-6850K clearly in view of the different price. The statements are more interesting, especially for higher resolutions. In critical scenes Ryzen therefore delivers more performance than the Core series. On the average, Intel is faster than AMD."

This sounds like something some folks on this board will have a hard time sidelining, given that frametimes and 0.01% slowdowns were the most critizied (rightfully so!) aspects of previous amd cpus. Seems like there is still room left to grow for both manufacturers.

Ryzen looks like a hugely successful story with immense room for improvement. 1500X beating much more expensive 7700K, the linchpin of Intel's consumer offering and their extremely expensive enthusiasts chips in frametimes is staggering. And further platform/game engines optimizations are still to come.

No wonder Intel is rushing 18 core chips to the market.

Mr Swine

Banned
Ryzen looks like a hugely successful story with immense room for improvement. 1500X beating much more expensive 7700K, the linchpin of Intel's consumer offering and their extremely expensive enthusiasts chips in frametimes is staggering. And further platform/game engines optimizations are still to come.

No wonder Intel is rushing 18 core chips to the market.

Doesn't this depend on which game they are testing?

Datschge

Doesn't this depend on which game they are testing?
Of course this depends on the software, but that goes both ways. With Ryzen AMD has completely caught up with Intel, except for details and corner cases in gaming performance. Since the latter is never final we will keep seeing cases where one trumps the other, thus this is what benchmarks keep harping on since months.

The interesting part about that Dirt 4 benchmark is that it appears to be the first time AMD comes this close and even beats Intel at frametimes core for core (7700K and 1500X both being 4c8t chips).

Datschge

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-06/4k-gaming-cpu-gpu-benchmark/

This one is rather interesting as it shows that even in 4K 6/8C CPUs are better than 4C although as you'd expect you do need a very fast GPU to get such results. Ryzen looks good there as well.
Good overview, though the author only mentions in the comments section that all CPUs were tested with the highest officially supported rate, so DDR4-2400 for Intel (I guess) and 2666 for Ryzen (no mention about single/dual rank and dual/quad channel).

Considering that's one clear and common area to improve Ryzen's performance (at least until 3200) short of CPU overclocking it'd be interesting to see what difference that would make.

So after a few days with my 1700 I can say I'm REALLY happy with the performance.

Really my only worry was CEMU due to it using only 1 and a half threads and the 1700 supposedly not overclocking that well, but it's performing great.

Coming from a 3570k @ 4.5, and getting my 1700 to 4GHz for CEMU, my performance has increased by like 40%. Basically BOTW went from unplayable (15-20) at 720p to being almost perfectly playable at 5k and a pretty stable 30 at 4k. Not to mention 3D rendering is like 3-4 times faster.

Also getting 30c at idle and under 50 in CEMU, 68 at max loads @ 4GHz, with a MasterLiquid 240.

TLDR; My 1700 (+1070) build feels sooo good.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So after a few days with my 1700 I can say I'm REALLY happy with the performance.

Really my only worry was CEMU due to it using only 1 and a half threads and the 1700 supposedly not overclocking that well, but it's performing great.

Coming from a 3570k @ 4.5, and getting my 1700 to 4GHz for CEMU, my performance has increased by like 40%. Basically BOTW went from unplayable (15-20) at 720p to being almost perfectly playable at 5k and a pretty stable 30 at 4k. Not to mention 3D rendering is like 3-4 times faster.

Also getting 30c at idle and under 50 in CEMU, 68 at max loads @ 4GHz, with a MasterLiquid 240.

TLDR; My 1700 (+1070) build feels sooo good.
Yeah, I feel ya.

I'm still tweaking my 1600X system, but so far it seems stable.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah, I feel ya.

I'm still tweaking my 1600X system, but so far it seems stable.

The issue you are having with boot times is a safety preset in the bios I have a asrock fatality k4 gaming b350.

It did the same thing until I turned it off.

It's called AM4 ADVANCED BOOT TRAINING. Turn that off and watch magic happen. 😀

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The issue you are having with boot times is a safety preset in the bios I have a asrock fatality k4 gaming b350.

Where the heck is this option?!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have a Corsair H60 and I have never ocerclocked.

I realize this is impossible to answer but is there a chance that I can bump my 1600X to run at 4.0GHz without having to buy better cooler and/or raise the voltage?

Mr Swine

Banned
I just bought ddr4 4266 mhz memories. Asus ch6 is reported to run 4000mhz now.

Doesn't ram running at 4000mhz give worse performance than at 3200mhz? Think I read from several people that going higher than 3200mhz will give performance penalty to Ryzen

I have a Corsair H60 and I have never ocerclocked.

I realize this is impossible to answer but is there a chance that I can bump my 1600X to run at 4.0GHz without having to buy better cooler and/or raise the voltage?

It should cool better than my Noctua U12s which I'm running at stock speeds. But I think you can run at 4Ghz without a problem I think. Just look at Ryzen Master tool and see what the temps are

Datschge

Doesn't ram running at 4000mhz give worse performance than at 3200mhz? Think I read from several people that going higher than 3200mhz will give performance penalty to Ryzen
There should be no penalty. The Stilt just mentioned that beyond 3200mHz latency is more important than pure speed as the current Ryzen at 4Ghz is already at its limit there.

This likely changes with Zen 2 using 7LP which GloFo announced will be optimized for 5Ghz instead for 3Ghz of the currently used 14LPP.

Firenze1

Banned

It should cool better than my Noctua U12s which I'm running at stock speeds. But I think you can run at 4Ghz without a problem I think. Just look at Ryzen Master tool and see what the temps are

http://www.techspot.com/article/1171-ddr4-4000-mhz-performance/

seems 10% better then 3200

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/57818/skill-trident-ddr4-4800-intels-new-x299-chipset/index.html

DDR 4800mhz on the way to x299

Considering the broad responses Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 5 have received from (or gone ignored by) tech sites, YouTube tech channels and forum dwellers alike, I very much look forward to the range of diverse Core i9 and X299 reviews. From those dancing on Intel's grave, to the people who grossly downplayed Ryzen it should give more context as to who should be taken seriously and who should be ignored.

Motherboard (VICE) —— Just 3 Months In, AMD’s Ryzen Is Already Shaking Up PC Gaming

We haven’t seen a real battle over performance and value in the CPU market in ages, but Ryzen is changing that.

1710294-ca_en_ryzen_7s0srl.png

ComputerBase —— Zen vs. Skylake: The-size comparison of Ryzen, Naples and Skylake-SP [German]

Hans de Vries/Chip-Architect (via AT Forums) —— AMD Ryzen Versus Intel Skylake-X

BTW, the die size has also grown quite a bit.

Broadwell-E 10C die is like 240; Skylake-X 10C die is around 325.

By my totally reliable estimations by looking at the die pict, the core size (inc L3) is about 17 mm2. Kaby Lake is by the same estimation 12.2 mm2.

Hans de Vries:

It has very significantly grown to 17.0 mm2 indeed.

ryzen_vs_skylake_core8vspj.jpg

Austin Evans [YouTube] —— Best of E3 2017!

From Xbox One X to AMD Ryzen Threadripper this is the best tech of E3 2017!

amd-ryzen-threadrippedzsmx.png
↓↓↓↓↓
Threadripper X399 motherboard :eek:

rz7plr1hs84z.jpg

DAT SOCKET

Could they even make a miniITX board out of this? lol
That's the Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238520388&postcount=2948

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239070651&postcount=3031

VideoCardz.com —— AMD EPYC 7000 series specs and performance leaked

Firenze1

Banned
what I like about AMD is that they dont make you switch socket all the time like intel does.

AM4 is promised to be used in Zen+ and Zen 2.

What's the risk of having this feature disabled?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hopefully my mobo has that option.? I got the Pro 350.

I won't know until the weekend is over.

Well unfortunately, this POS won't let me get into the BIOS.

It absolutely just goes straight to Windows even when using the Restart to UEFI Bios software provided by ASrock.

Man this shit is pissing me off.

Datschge

Have not seen this posted: Global Foundries has detailed their 7nm process node titled 7LP ("leading performance") created in research partnership with IBM and Samsung.
https://www.globalfoundries.com/sites/default/files/product-briefs/7lp-product-brief.pdf

The big difference to the current 14LPP ("low power plus") is the focus on high frequencies instead high efficiency. GloFo claims 5Ghz operation for 7LP where it was >3Ghz for the current 14LLP.

The current Zen and upcoming Zen+ cores use 14LLP. 7LP will be used for Zen 2 cores and is expected for late 2018, early 2019.

Edit: Also there are reports about a B2 stepping that "fixes many bugs" likely in preparation for the use of the dies in MCM packages like Threadripper and Epyc:
Canard PC Hardware said:
B2-step seems to focus on Uncore/SoC erratas (PCIe controllers, etc.) . I don't see many fixed bugs within the core.
https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/876213236743507968

dr_rus

Well unfortunately, this POS won't let me get into the BIOS.

It absolutely just goes straight to Windows even when using the Restart to UEFI Bios software provided by ASrock.

Man this shit is pissing me off.

Hold Shift when clicking Restart in Windows, then go to Troubleshoot, Advanced, UEFI Firmware Settings. No need for any 3rd party software, and this should work all the time unless there's a bug in the BIOS.

Paragon

Doesn't work either.
Had to reset the CMOS.
There's usually an option to delay boot by X seconds to let you get into the UEFI configuration.
I'm surprised it's not enabled by default on ASRock boards, but you should definitely enable it after clearing the CMOS if you're having problems.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hold Shift when clicking Restart in Windows, then go to Troubleshoot, Advanced, UEFI Firmware Settings. No need for any 3rd party software, and this should work all the time unless there's a bug in the BIOS.

There's usually an option to delay boot by X seconds to let you get into the UEFI configuration.
I'm surprised it's not enabled by default on ASRock boards, but you should definitely enable it after clearing the CMOS if you're having problems.

It has to do with the fact that I had Fast Boot enabled in the BIOS. WHen that is enabled it is impossible to enter the BIOS when booting up. ASRock says so. The only way to enter the BIOS is to use the ASRock Restart to UEFI BIOS app in Windows.

Unfortunately for me I was telling it to restart and enter the BIOS, but it would just go straight to the Windows login screen.

As of right now, I have Fast Boot disabled and I can enter the BIOS normally. I will keep it disabled. I will make due with the slightly longer boot time.

There's wild speculation Skylake-X may eventually come with soldered dies (TIM claimed to have been used in part due to time and validation restrictions). I'm going to need more sources to "confirm" before diving into that one.

Buildzoid - Actually Hardcore Overclocking [YouTube] —— Why pstate overclocking on Ryzen CPUs isn't worth the effort.

·feist·;241155522 said:
BTW, compare the supposed Epyc 8-core and 16-core prices listed in those charts (embedded a few posts above) to the claimed 16-core Threadripper price here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238905513&postcount=2997 (middle section of post)

Have not seen this posted: Global Foundries has detailed their 7nm process node titled 7LP ("leading performance") created in research partnership with IBM and Samsung.
https://www.globalfoundries.com/sites/default/files/product-briefs/7lp-product-brief.pdf

The big difference to the current 14LPP ("low power plus") is the focus on high frequencies instead high efficiency. GloFo claims 5Ghz operation for 7LP where it was >3Ghz for the current 14LLP.

The current Zen and upcoming Zen+ cores use 14LLP. 7LP will be used for Zen 2 cores and is expected for late 2018, early 2019.
I'd like to see how closely all parties can keep to their launch time frames with this.

Pachimari

I am not good at this whole spec thing, so I would need some help or clarification. Would I be able to run a Ryzen CPU in a build like this?:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
GPU: Evga GeForce GTX 780
CPU: Intel i5 4670K 4C/4T

Steel

Banned
I am immensely impressed with how durable modern technology is.

Yesterday I was playing around in superhot VR in the endless mode, doing a run of the torture room with nothing but melee, so I was dashing about the room slashing enemies up left and right while dodging shotgun blasts like it was the matrix. I was up to about 85 killed when I accidently hit something. As it turns out, like an idiot, I left a cup of water out. And I left it out directly above my cpu tower.

So, long story short a 1/4 cup of water ended up landing perfectly upside down right on top of my case's vent, right above my cpu. My rift cuts out, I note as I frantically hold down the power button to turn things off that the fans are still running and the LEDs are still on. I quickly unplug everything and get all of my parts separated. I remove the heatsink from my cpu and... There's a bead of water right on top of the heat spreader. I freak out a bit then leave the parts out to dry.

I leave them out for 24 hours, clean off any spots left by the minerals in the water, reassemble them and, what do you know, everything still works just fine. Gave myself a heart attack. Though, I was looking for an excuse to replace the thermal paste that came with the stock cooler.

So, know that if you're as stupid as I am with water, your computer could make it out OK.

I am not good at this whole spec thing, so I would need some help or clarification. Would I be able to run a Ryzen CPU in a build like this?:

You'd need a new motherboard and new RAM(Ryzen boards use DDR4, not 3). Though, tbh, you have no pressing need to upgrade your CPU to anything. Especially running a 780. I'd upgrade your video card first.

Maxpacker

Just built a new Ryzen system and liking it alot. But I upgraded from an 8 year old phenom/phenom II system, so its easy to be satisfied i suppose.

Specs:

1700x 3.8ghz
AsRock Taichi mobo
16gb Gskill Flare X @ 3200
using my old Radeon 280x for now until this mining craziness blows over
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv atx case
FSP hydro 650w PSU
WD black 512 m2 drive
1tb mushkin ssd
2tb hdd
Sound Blaster z sound card

Pretty smooth build no issues with memory speed so far.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Anyone else think amd got unfair heat from ryzen launch? Love my system and things are smooth in games.

No. It was fair.

The memory issues are real and I can easily see people being frustrated with it.

It was a bit of a learning curve for me to get my system up and running with an M2 SSD and my memory timings decent.

The last time I upgraded my motherboard was 2012 and seeing all of the changes made to system BIOS, etc made the upgrade a bit of a hassle.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

No. Not even close.

Completely the wrong motherboard type, which is for a four year old chipset. Your system also uses DDR3 memory and you would need DDR4.

Not to sound rude, but to say you're not good at this whole spec thing is an understatement so we will be happy to help you!

As others suggested your CPU is still adequate and your money would be much better spent on upgrading your GPU.

When you are ready to upgrade to Ryzen, I would strongly recommend you consult this page and/or the "I need a new PC" thread.

But for the time being, upgrade your GPU and get something like a 1070.

Firenze1

Banned
No. It was fair.

The memory issues are real and I can easily see people being frustrated with it.

It was a bit of a learning curve for me to get my system up and running with an M2 SSD and my memory timings decent.

The last time I upgraded my motherboard was 2012 and seeing all of the changes made to system BIOS, etc made the upgrade a bit of a hassle.

Memory issues is a distant thing now if you got a decent motherboard.

Caayn

what I like about AMD is that they dont make you switch socket all the time like intel does.

AM4 is promised to be used in Zen+ and Zen 2.
Socket compatibility is one thing that AMD does really well, whereas Intel is basically "Oh look it's been two years since our last socket let's release a new one and render everything incompatible".

I remember being able to use an AM3 CPU in a AM2 socket o_O

Durante

The turbo clocks on those alleged EYPC specs are a bit disappointing.
It tops out at 3 GHz with 16 cores, while even existing Xeons already go up to 3.6 GHz at the same core count, and that is before Turbo Boost 3.0.

When you have workloads that vary wildly in their parallelism (e.g. compilation) that could be a pretty big differentiator.

Firenze1

Banned
The turbo clocks on those alleged EYPC specs are a bit disappointing.
It tops out at 3 GHz with 16 cores, while even existing Xeons already go up to 3.6 GHz at the same core count, and that is before Turbo Boost 3.0.

When you have workloads that vary wildly in their parallelism (e.g. compilation) that could be a pretty big differentiator.

well it is not made for gaming so I am not sure it is such a big deal.

Tommy DJ

well it is not made for gaming so I am not sure it is such a big deal.

A lot of tasks in CAD, video/photo editing and so forth are not well threaded and depend solely on single threaded performance. Even obvious stuff like opening files. Not everything is a Cinebench score.

That, plus Thunderbolt support, are practically the sole reason I haven't adopted Ryzen. If Zen 2 gets to 5ghz reliably with the typical 5-10% IPC improvement, then it's a complete no brainer at that stage.

Top Bottom