• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Pachimari

I am immensely impressed with how durable modern technology is.

Yesterday I was playing around in superhot VR in the endless mode, doing a run of the torture room with nothing but melee, so I was dashing about the room slashing enemies up left and right while dodging shotgun blasts like it was the matrix. I was up to about 85 killed when I accidently hit something. As it turns out, like an idiot, I left a cup of water out. And I left it out directly above my cpu tower.

So, long story short a 1/4 cup of water ended up landing perfectly upside down right on top of my case's vent, right above my cpu. My rift cuts out, I note as I frantically hold down the power button to turn things off that the fans are still running and the LEDs are still on. I quickly unplug everything and get all of my parts separated. I remove the heatsink from my cpu and... There's a bead of water right on top of the heat spreader. I freak out a bit then leave the parts out to dry.

I leave them out for 24 hours, clean off any spots left by the minerals in the water, reassemble them and, what do you know, everything still works just fine. Gave myself a heart attack. Though, I was looking for an excuse to replace the thermal paste that came with the stock cooler.

So, know that if you're as stupid as I am with water, your computer could make it out OK.

You'd need a new motherboard and new RAM(Ryzen boards use DDR4, not 3). Though, tbh, you have no pressing need to upgrade your CPU to anything. Especially running a 780. I'd upgrade your video card first.

No. Not even close.

Completely the wrong motherboard type, which is for a four year old chipset. Your system also uses DDR3 memory and you would need DDR4.

Not to sound rude, but to say you're not good at this whole spec thing is an understatement so we will be happy to help you!

As others suggested your CPU is still adequate and your money would be much better spent on upgrading your GPU.

When you are ready to upgrade to Ryzen, I would strongly recommend you consult this page and/or the "I need a new PC" thread.

But for the time being, upgrade your GPU and get something like a 1070.

Thank you for this feedback, I really appreciate it. I don't want to buy something I cannot use so I'm glad I have been warned beforehand. I will upgrade my GPU to a 1070 or 1080 first.

The current Zen and upcoming Zen+ cores use 14LLP. 7LP will be used for Zen 2 cores and is expected for late 2018, early 2019.

Edit: Also there are reports about a B2 stepping that "fixes many bugs" likely in preparation for the use of the dies in MCM packages like Threadripper and Epyc:

https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/876213236743507968

Any idea when this new stepping is coming? I just finished my R5 1600 build and I can still return and wait a little bit. Unless it's going to takes months.

spuckthew

I really want to go Ryzen but this whole memory debacle is putting me right off. On the other hand, I literally only use my PC for gaming so maybe a 7600K would actually be better?

I would get a 1600X with a Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K3, but I have no clue what RAM would give me best results. Ideally a 16GB (2x8) kit at 3000/3200MHz for that Ryzen sweet spot, but nothing too expensive. The annoying thing is, the QVL for that motherboard doesn't list any 3000 or 3200 kits :|

Paragon

The turbo clocks on those alleged EYPC specs are a bit disappointing.
It tops out at 3 GHz with 16 cores, while even existing Xeons already go up to 3.6 GHz at the same core count, and that is before Turbo Boost 3.0.

When you have workloads that vary wildly in their parallelism (e.g. compilation) that could be a pretty big differentiator.

I suppose the question is how many cores does the turbo clock apply to, and how will they overclock.
Since they are basically four Ryzen dies strapped together by infinity fabric, I would think that they should be capable of hitting ~4GHz if the power delivery and cooling can handle it.
But I might also have expected something like a 4-core turbo to be doing that anyway. (one core on each die)
It's likely that this restriction is because they are aimed at servers/high-end workstations where efficiency is critical - just as Xeons are lower clocked than the equivalent HEDT parts. Threadripper is probably going to have more aggressive clockspeeds.
Have they said that Xeons will use Turbo Boost Max 3.0?

As I've said though: I expect Intel to be the better performer in most cases - but the question is going to be whether you consider their performance advantage to be enough to justify spending 2-3x the price.
An i7-7820X is still $600 compared to an R7-1700 for $300 - and X299 motherboards are likely to be twice the price of a B350/X370 board too.

If your workload scales to use many cores, Threadripper/Epyc may win on performance. Not core-for-core, but by being able to buy 16 Zen cores for the price of 10 Skylake cores for example.
This is more of a concern for consumer workloads where it's a mixture of well and poorly threaded tasks, instead of servers where all cores are fully loaded most if not all the time, or where high core counts often matter more when licensing is per-CPU and not per-core - though that is starting to change.

llien

I really want to go Ryzen but this whole memory debacle is putting me right off. On the other hand, I literally only use my PC for gaming so maybe a 7600K would actually be better?

I'm pretty sure 1600x is better than 7600k even at gaming.
Even more so, if you stick with AMD GPU.

dr_rus

It has to do with the fact that I had Fast Boot enabled in the BIOS. WHen that is enabled it is impossible to enter the BIOS when booting up. ASRock says so. The only way to enter the BIOS is to use the ASRock Restart to UEFI BIOS app in Windows.

Unfortunately for me I was telling it to restart and enter the BIOS, but it would just go straight to the Windows login screen.

As of right now, I have Fast Boot disabled and I can enter the BIOS normally. I will keep it disabled. I will make due with the slightly longer boot time.

That's how you get into the BIOS with fast boot enabled, via Shift-Restart from Windows. It should work, unless the BIOS itself is bugged.

Steel

Banned

I would get a 1600X with a Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K3, but I have no clue what RAM would give me best results. Ideally a 16GB (2x8) kit at 3000/3200MHz for that Ryzen sweet spot, but nothing too expensive. The annoying thing is, the QVL for that motherboard doesn't list any 3000 or 3200 kits :|

Eh... All I had to do after the bios updates was turn on A-XMP and my ram(g. skill ripjaws 3200 mhz) was set. This is on an MSI B-350 Tomahawk with a 1700, mind.

I would get a 1600 and just overclock to 3.8-4.0, you'll get similiar performance to the 7600k(sometimes better, sometimes worse, mostly better frametimes) for cheaper.

The 1600x is either equal to, slightly worse, or slightly better than a 7600k depending on the game. It also has better frametimes in a lot of cases.

Durante

This is more of a concern for consumer workloads where it's a mixture of well and poorly threaded tasks, instead of servers where all cores are fully loaded most if not all the time, or where high core counts often matter more when licensing is per-CPU and not per-core - though that is starting to change.
I'd argue that there are sadly still a whole lot of "professional" (as in, certainly not "consumer") workloads which don't scale arbitrarily, and certainly don't do so at all times. And for quite a few of them that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

The one I'm personally most affected by, compiling, is one of them.

The 1600x is either equal to, slightly worse, or slightly better than a 7600k depending on the game. It also has better frametimes in a lot of cases.

That's not untrue, it wasn't the major part I took issue with. The 1600X is a great CPU and more than capable of gaming, and as you said is pretty much completely on par with a 7600k.

I should have clarified. I don't think there's any evidence an RX 580 is better with a 1600X than a 7600k. Most of the benchmarks out there slapped a 1080 or 1080 Ti with them during testing, so I couldn't find any definitive proof, but I see no reason why an AMD GPU would function inherently better with an AMD CPU than with an Intel CPU. Also the prices on 480's and 580's is through the roof lately.

Buggy Loop

Just built a new Ryzen system and liking it alot. But I upgraded from an 8 year old phenom/phenom II system, so its easy to be satisfied i suppose.

Specs:

1700x 3.8ghz
AsRock Taichi mobo
16gb Gskill Flare X @ 3200
using my old Radeon 280x for now until this mining craziness blows over
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv atx case
FSP hydro 650w PSU
WD black 512 m2 drive
1tb mushkin ssd
2tb hdd
Sound Blaster z sound card

Pretty smooth build no issues with memory speed so far.

Oh !!! Sounds like a similar path to me. I'm currently on phenom 1090T with a R9-280.

Just started buying pieces yesterday to switch to HTPC, but plan on keeping R9-280 for a while since new gpu tech is coming and mining craze should drop.

But did you notice a substantial bump in performances just with the cpu?

Firenze1

Banned
Just built a new Ryzen system and liking it alot. But I upgraded from an 8 year old phenom/phenom II system, so its easy to be satisfied i suppose.

Specs:

1700x 3.8ghz
AsRock Taichi mobo
16gb Gskill Flare X @ 3200
using my old Radeon 280x for now until this mining craziness blows over
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv atx case
FSP hydro 650w PSU
WD black 512 m2 drive
1tb mushkin ssd
2tb hdd
Sound Blaster z sound card

Pretty smooth build no issues with memory speed so far.

Nice build man. That psu isnt future proof though. Would of gone with atleast 800w.

Datschge

Anyone else think amd got unfair heat from ryzen launch?
It kind of overshadowed the leapfrog AMD actually did there. Though it's all well since AMD reacted like one ideally always should, with steady improvements in the criticized areas and beyond. The much better reactions to Ryzen 5 already showed the approach was chosen well, and with Intel visibly reacting the general mood changes further.

It tops out at 3 GHz with 16 cores, while even existing Xeons already go up to 3.6 GHz at the same core count, and that is before Turbo Boost 3.0.
Aside that Zen's counterpart to Turbo Boost 3.0 is XFR which isn't mentioned in the table at all, I wouldn't put too much stock into these leaks. Like with previous supposed Threadripper leaks the model numbering is completely messed up and in no way follows the clear scheme that AMD set up for Ryzen on AM4 before. So take only with a big grain of salt.

Any idea when this new stepping is coming? I just finished my R5 1600 build and I can still return and wait a little bit. Unless it's going to takes months.
As I wrote before reports are that the B2 stepping fixes uncore/SoC bugs. My personal guess is that they relate to the 32 PCIe lanes every Ryzen die has. As we know AM4 doesn't make use of all 32 PCIe lanes that should be there, possibly because B1 stepping is bugged in that regard? Both Epyc and Threadripper will need all of them, so I expect all B2 stepping dies to go into those chips before they reach AM4 chips (where they likely don't make much, if any, of a difference).

Firenze1

Banned
Here is my build

1800X @ 4050mhz h60i
Ripjaws v 3600 ddr4 16gb
Asus ch6 Hero
512gb m2 samsung 960 evo
512gb samsung 850 evo
512gb samsung 850 evo
Fury x 4gb hbm
800w tesla psu
27" 144hz freesync asus monitor

High end Gpus will always be power hungry. If he plan to buy vega it might cut him close.

Both 1080ti and Fury X are around 300W. Processors are under 100w these days. Other components are going to be far from 100W. Please tell us where to spend another 300W.

In the future, the power consumption of high-end GPUs is only going to go down.

eso76

Most buck for your money would be:

1600 ryzen cpu
B350 motherboard
16 gb ddr4 3000mhz
Radeon 580 rx

this sounds tempting.
let's say

250 $ for the CPU
85 $ for the mobo
115 $ for the ram
250 $ for the GPU

uhm...how does it compare to my old ass i7 920 + 12GB + GTX460 ? :D
I don't think i would need a bigger PSU (500w or 550w can't remember) since newer CPUs/GPUs are a lot more power efficient, right ?

According to benchmarks it's on par with the i7 5820K i use at work (paired with a GTX970, also slightly slower than a 580)

Protein

Banned
I'm thinking about building a Ryzen system. Are these "memory issues" common? I've been searching around for a good Ryzen motherboard but reviews have been putting me off. Users keep citing bios or memory issues. Have mobo manufacturers addressed this?

Steel

Banned
this sounds tempting.
let's say

250 $ for the CPU
85 $ for the mobo
115 $ for the ram
250 $ for the GPU

uhm...how does it compare to my old ass i7 920 + 12GB + GTX460 ? :D
I don't think i would need a bigger PSU (500w or 550w can't remember) since newer CPUs/GPUs are a lot more power efficient, right ?

According to benchmarks it's on par with the i7 5820K i use at work (paired with a GTX970, also slightly slower than a 580)

I mean, if we're talking american dollars, the normal 1600 is $210-230 depending on where you look(If you get an aftermarket cooler it's more, but the stock cooler is good enough to get you to 3.8 ghz). That being said, the mobo will probably be more like $90-100 unless you find a deal. You've got the ram right. Could get 16 gb 3200 mhz DDR4 for that much.

The GPU... Well, a 580 is pretty expensive ATM because of the mining rush, but if you manage to get one at the price they're supposed to be then yeah.

For the PSU... You're kinda on the low end, but it should work out.

As for performance compared to your current build? Well, it'd be pretty much night and day considering how long you've gone without updating.

I'm thinking about building a Ryzen system. Are these "memory issues" common? I've been searching around for a good Ryzen motherboard but reviews have been putting me off. Users keep citing bios or memory issues. Have mobo manufacturers addressed this?

The memory issue is an issue with overclocking your memory with certain brands. That's been getting fixed in recent bios updates and varies from board to board. The bios issues vary from board to board as well, I will say my MSI B350 tomahawk is in a good place now. Originally I had to juggle Ryzen Master and the bios in order to overclock my memory to 3200 MHZ, but now I don't need to bother with Ryzen Master. Just gotta turn on A-XMP.

Firenze1

Banned
Which is a far from needing 800w. As Evolution of Metal mentioned things are getting more efficient so that amount of power isn't going to go up and even if it does it's not going to be 500w or higher on the gpu side which is when you would think about 800w.

Better be safe then sorry. Even if things get more efficient, power draw will always be high on high end products.

The cost isnt going to be huge between 650w and 800w.

Kayant

Better be safe then sorry. Even if things get more efficient, power draw will always be high on high end products.

The cost isnt going to be huge between 650w and 800w.
I used to have this mindset but that delta too big and is largely wasted. Something like 650w would be a good delta to have in this situation.

That depends on the brand but I would estimate it's a few bit that can be better put towards other parts for example my PSU which is Evga G2 750w(Totally overkill for my build which I recently measured about 330w peak from the wall) jumping to 850w about £21 on amazon but the jump from 650w to 850w is about £48.

Edit -

850w would actually be cheaper than 750w if it was in stock for prime.
650w to 850w would be about £21 using prime pricing.

Firenze1

Banned
I am using fractal designs power supply units. Excellent build quality. My 800w tesla is now 5 years old and did cost me about 100 euro.

Paragon

That's crazy you only need that much if you plan to do SLI/CF . 500w and below is fine for most systems with OC GPU/CPU.
For what it's worth, I just tested my system which is an R7-1700X at 3.9GHz at 1.35V, and a GTX 1070 Strix OC at its stock speed.
Running FurMark and IntelBurnTest together, my UPS reported a peak load of 495W. Average during demanding games (Dishonored 2) is more like 330W though.
To be fair, I do also have 8 HDDs in there, but that shouldn't be pulling more than 30W or so when idle.
A 1080Ti is going to be drawing at least 100W more than that, probably 150W or more if it's overclocked.

Which is a far from needing 800w. As Evolution of Metal mentioned things are getting more efficient so that amount of power isn't going to go up and even if it does it's not going to be 500w or higher on the gpu side when you mean think about 800w.
Look at the power efficiency curve for any power supply.
Their peak efficiency is around 50% load, so high wattage power supplies are a good choice for a gaming system.
If an overclocked 1700/X and 1080Ti is going to average around 400-450W when gaming, that means a power supply around 800W or so would be ideal, since efficiency under heavy load is more important than idle.
If your system is pulling 450W with peaks of 600W on a 650W power supply, it should be perfectly stable - but you're losing efficiency and the fan will be running at or near full speed when gaming.

System with 1080 Ti draws 373W in full load.
Does Metro: Last Light stress the CPU much? Especially an 8-core CPU.

tuxfool

Banned
One thing that is lost in the PSU discussions is that:

1) you'd want at least 20% slack, more ideally.

2) PSU efficiency peaks around 60% load.

3) Sometimes it is nice having a PSU that can provide instantaneous current for transients. Notably things like HDDs have massive power spikes during spinup.

Now, none of these things are requirements, though if you value the life of your PSU you'd at least follow 1.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

As someone who's been shopping around and comparing benchmarks the only games where I've seen Ryzen 1600x have the edge over 7600k is with Square Enix titles like Deus EX and Hitman. The 7600k either slightly bests it or outright beats it in every other game. I'm looking for a good reason to make my next upgrade the Ryzen, but I'm not finding it.

Steel

Banned
As someone who's been shopping around and comparing benchmarks the only games where I've seen Ryzen 1600x have the edge over 7600k is with Square Enix titles like Deus EX and Hitman. The 7600k either slightly bests it or outright beats it in every other game. I'm looking for a good reason to make my next upgrade the Ryzen, but I'm not finding it.

For an aggregate:
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/CPU-Hardware-154106/Tests/Rangliste-Bestenliste-1143392/

pcgh-gamesvhur3.png

This is for games only(The games tested are listed at the top, the applications aren't including for that graph) at 720p. The 1600x slightly outperforms the 7600k overall, the stock 1600 slightly underperforms the 7600k overall, neither deus ex nor hitman are listed here.

You can find comparisons for applications at the link.

This one is applications and games combined(courtesy of Feist):

One thing that is lost in the PSU discussions is that:

1) you'd want at least 20% slack, more ideally.

2) PSU efficiency peaks around 60% load.

3) Sometimes it is nice having a PSU that can provide instantaneous current for transients. Notably things like HDDs have massive power spikes during spinup.

Now, none of these things are requirements, though if you value the life of your PSU you'd at least follow 1.

PSU efficiency, at least the curve on my Corsair 650TX and Enermax 500W, is within 3% difference between 40-100%, however, it is almost 10% less efficient at 20-0% loads.

The larger PSU you buy, the less efficient you are. You are not going to save money on electricity or be more secure by having a beefy PSU. Don't trust the PSU wattage calculators, they will add their own precautions just in case on top of the already most extreme parts manufacturer's estimations which are way over real-world scenarios anyway.

tuxfool

Banned
The larger PSU you buy, the less efficient you are. You are not going to save money on electricity or be more secure by having a beefy PSU. Don't trust the PSU wattage calculators, they will add their own precautions just in case on top of the already most extreme parts manufacturer's estimations which are way over real-world scenarios anyway.

I''m not. I'm trusting my own experience with frying PSUs. However, it does depend on the quality of the components used in the PSU and (obviously) your typical workload, but as a blanket recommendation it is what I give.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

The memory issue is an issue with overclocking your memory with certain brands. That's been getting fixed in recent bios updates and varies from board to board. The bios issues vary from board to board as well, I will say my MSI B350 tomahawk is in a good place now. Originally I had to juggle Ryzen Master and the bios in order to overclock my memory to 3200 MHZ, but now I don't need to bother with Ryzen Master. Just gotta turn on A-XMP.

The memory issue has more to do with trying to run the memory at it's designated speed.

In probably most instances, you can pop the memory in and the system will run fine at 2133 Mhz, the default speed. If you get memory that is only rated for 2133MHz then you're fine.

However, the performance of Ryzen is really being held back unless you get memory that runs at at least 2667 MHz.

So most people get memory that runs between 3000-3200 MHz, BUT many people have had issues getting it to run at those speeds and in a lot of instances are forced to downclock and/or do a lot of deep tweaking in the BIOS due to RAM issues.

From what I gather it has really been a crapshoot.

For example, right now my 3000 rated memory is running at 2667. Today I plan to finally do some tweaking and seeing if I can get it to at least 2933 MHz

Steel

Banned
The memory issue has more to do with trying to run the memory at it's designated speed.

In probably most instances, you can pop the memory in and the system will run fine at 2133 Mhz, the default speed. If you get memory that is only rated for 2133MHz then you're fine.

However, the performance of Ryzen is really being held back unless you get memory that runs at at least 2667 MHz.

So most people get memory that runs between 3000-3200 MHz, BUT many people have had issues getting it to run at those speeds and in a lot of instances are forced to downclock and/or do a lot of deep tweaking in the BIOS due to RAM issues.

From what I gather it has really been a crapshoot.

For example, right now my 3000 rated memory is running at 2667. Today I plan to finally do some tweaking and seeing if I can get it to at least 2933 MHz

Yeah I had to do some tweaking to get my 3200 mhz memory running at 3200 mhz before the april bios update to my board. Not so bad with my MSI board atm, though. Hopefully future updates prevent the problem for everyone.

NeOak

When you have workloads that vary wildly in their parallelism (e.g. compilation) that could be a pretty big differentiator.

They should have gone for 200W TDP if it meant 4 Ghz for some of them.

llien

I should have clarified. I don't think there's any evidence an RX 580 is better with a 1600X than a 7600k. Most of the benchmarks out there slapped a 1080 or 1080 Ti with them during testing, so I couldn't find any definitive proof, but I see no reason why an AMD GPU would function inherently better with an AMD CPU than with an Intel CPU. Also the prices on 480's and 580's is through the roof lately.

There have been benchmarks comparing 1800x vs 7700k on RX 480 vs 1060.
It was a game or two that I have seen. Techreport found that while effect is there, it changes from a game to a game, it's not consistent, so I stand corrected:

http://www.techspot.com/article/1374-amd-ryzen-with-amd-gpu/page2.html

So what's the best Ryzen motherboard to go with today? Best stability/RAM compatibility/etc..?

I've been holding off for Intel's i9/X299 reviews, but I'm a bit disappointed & I'm looking at Ryzen now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So what's the best Ryzen motherboard to go with today? Best stability/RAM compatibility/etc..?

I've been holding off for Intel's i9/X299 reviews, but I'm a bit disappointed & I'm looking at Ryzen now.

If you want cheap and decent the ASRock B350 AM4 Pro isn't bad.

But for 350 chipsets the MSI Tomahawk seems to be considered the best.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
·feist·;240664172 said:
If you've tried to flash more than once, or re-downloaded the BIOS (in case of possible corruption) and you're still getting that error that is indeed odd. If so, ASRock needs to have their BIOS team fix that immediately.

Black screen (instead of BSOD) may mean a few things, though from my experience on Ryzen it seems you need to make some minor adjustments for full stability.

Retest without a mem. OC and go from there. Unless you have an issue which is different from what I've observed, I believe you should be close and perhaps slight voltage increases may be in order for you to dial in those speeds. Refer to the steps, links and tutorials in my previous post.

Remember, full speed on your RAM is actually on overclock over DDR4 standard speeds.

Clock your RAM adjusting your CPU speeds. Unless I'm mistaken, it appears you may have Hynix dies - so *generally* not as compatible as Samsung dies overall.

To quickly summarise the last post, you'll need to go set aside some free time and go step-by-step to get your RAM running above 2666 (which it should be able to once you're running a 1006-based BIOS).

Clear settings after each of these options:

1. Starting with 100% default BIOS settings (usually called something like "Load Optimised Settings"). Save and exit after "Load Opt Settings" Re-enter BIOS then select each of the available XMP profiles listed in your BIOS, one at a time and try to boot after each selection (fail? then clear re-enter and try booting with next available profile).

2. Try those XMP profiles but change voltage from "Auto" to "Manual" for: DRAM, CPU-SOC, and try the "troubleshoot" voltage range I listed in the post above.

3. Disable XMP, then manually set your RAM speed and timings (2933, timing for your CL15 spec memory are here: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=8GX-D4-3000-MR) DRAM keep DRAM voltage @ around 1.35v and CPU-SOC no higher than 1.2v (1.15v should hopefully be high enough for your testing/troubleshooting)

4. Try full manual settings aain with XMP disabled as in #3 listed above. Instead of using the full specs listed for your exact RAM, try higher/looser timing like 18-20-20-36 or something along those lines.

Generally, as lower priced boards, the B350s will often have fewer BIOS options, PCB layers and less tolerance in terms of overclocking than the X370s. Hope this helps. It may seem cumbersome, but it gets easier as you get the hang for tweaking this platform in specific and tweaks of AMD/Intel in general.

My last post has a lot of helpful links (which lead to further links), with many of them not being overly technical. Even if a tutorial is for an X370 board from a different manufacturer, they tend to have common options that carry over across all Ryzens, or are universal for tweaking tech.

Take some time and see how it goes for you. Of all the links available through my previous post, these two in particular may be helpful for you to go through (remember to try the other links if needed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgpHTaQ10k

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/05/25/community-update-4-lets-talk-dram
Unfortunately it doesn't look like I have the ability to adjust CPU-SOC in my BIOS.

pooptest

No. It was fair.

The memory issues are real and I can easily see people being frustrated with it.

It was a bit of a learning curve for me to get my system up and running with an M2 SSD and my memory timings decent.

The last time I upgraded my motherboard was 2012 and seeing all of the changes made to system BIOS, etc made the upgrade a bit of a hassle.

What issues did you come across? I have a 960 EVO (250GB) and setup was the exact same as if it were any other SATA drive.

Maxpacker

Which is a far from needing 800w. As Evolution of Metal mentioned things are getting more efficient so that amount of power isn't going to go up and even if it does it's not going to be 500w or higher on the gpu side which is when you would think about 800w.

I call bs on that calculator also. No way this system is drawing that much power.
I think Crossfire/SLI is dumb so im not going that route anyway. 650w is plenty for any single gpu system as long as the psu is high quality (which according to reviews the FSP Hydro is one of the best)

Maxpacker

Okay I'm sold. What's the most reliable and best motherboard right now? Pricing is not an issue.

AsRock Taichi has the best reviews and its what I just bought and its great so far(only had it a week though)

Pair it with some Gskill memory and most likely you're golden. I didnt even have to screw around with timings or anything.
Be sure and update to the latest bios though

Top Bottom