• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjp2417

Banned
Doesn't mean it can't be interesting.

I don't really want to 'support' these people but it would be kinda interesting to experience things from the POV of someone you fundamentally disagree with. Uncomfortable and frustrating, sure, but at least that's evoking something from you.

Is there a comparable to this - like a film directed by a massive racist/homophobe where those themes are central to the film, perhaps?

Birth of a Nation (the OG Griffith one) and Triumph of the Will

Roarer

Oh fuck this shit. I've been loving the look of this game for years and was so pumped to see the trailer, and now I'm finding out the director is some kind of MRA dipshit? Man, fuck this game.

cntr

Banned
Doesn't mean it can't be interesting.

I don't really want to 'support' these people but it would be kinda interesting to experience things from the POV of someone you fundamentally disagree with. Uncomfortable and frustrating, sure, but at least that's evoking something from you.

Is there a comparable to this - like a film directed by a massive racist/homophobe where those themes are central to the film, perhaps?
We live in the real world.

Most of us have realized that supporting pieces of media like this, including games, has a negative, and absolutely real, effect on the world. We've seen what happened in 2016.

On the other hand, going "it's just a different view" confers no great positive other than making yourself feel 'principled' and good about yourself, while you ignore the real effects of what supporting a thing like this does. It's a pretty callous and shallow thing to do.

How does lighting in a 2D sprite work? Because holy shit. I want an actual explanation or link to any article about that.

Normal map, depth map, ambient occlusion map. Same as anything else. There are other ways you could do it as well. I think Broken Age used a kind of system with "filters" that adjusted their interpolation based on a result between two point. The 2015 GDC had a talk on lighting on sprites. I can't find it but I know it exists.

Found it. I kept searching for "sprites" and it was befuddling the search engine. Advanced Visual Effects for 2D

edit 2: some of the pixel art might also be "faked" to make it easier to work with. Some of the buildings and foliage in the trailer looks like a hybrid of 2D and 3D. I could be wrong since I don't actually work with games.

cntr

Banned
MåndagSöndag;240244244 said:
He has the art style and gametype down.

why would i not give him the benefit of a doubt.
being good at art doesn't mean you're good at writing

note that the art is mainly impressive for its technical achievements, too

Nah, let's not change narrative because the author is an asshole. The art does look great. Completely agree on it not necessarily meaning we'll get a good story though.

I'm thinking Another World like? Excited to see some more footage

One of the producers already confirmed no platforming. It's a narrative led game, so all of you defending the work as separate from the artist's politics, no such luck. This is Gamergate:The Game.

cntr

Banned
Nah, let's not change narrative because the author is an asshole. The art does look great. Completely agree on it not necessarily meaning we'll get a good story though.
I mean, the art is incredible. But it's incredible mainly because it's visually impressive in technical and animation, but we haven't seen how the art ties into the story, how the visuals are used and so on.

If we had that I'd get assuming the writing would be good, but we've mostly seen very impressive graphics without its story context. So there's no guarantee whatsoever that the actual writing and implementation is good.

I love the art style. looks awesome. whether or not the writing is good, we will see.

Looking at this thread though. I could totally see an totalitarian dystopian future as he hints of..

MåndagSöndag;240245048 said:
I love the art style. looks awesome. whether or not the writing is good, we will see.

Looking at this thread though. I could totally see an totalitarian dystopian future as he hints of..
Really? Explain.

cntr

Banned

ok then

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
So, to summarise:

giphy.gif

Zojirushi

I hope MS is mindful about this.

If this turns out to be some alt right propaganda shitfest it could backfire on them in a really uncomfortable way.

the one where women have rights? i'm not sure what your point here is

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I hope MS is mindful about this.

If this turns out to be some alt right propaganda shitfest it could backfire on them in a really uncomfortable way.
If they had been mindful, they wouldn't have associated themselves to do that dude by featuring the game's trailer at E3. They're incompetent at best.

the one where women have rights? i'm not sure what your point here is
Something along the lines of "so much for the tolerant left" probably.

It's amazing how often when it comes to topics like this that a slightly suspicious first post from someone turns into a complete shitshow shortly after.

Zojirushi

If they had been mindful, they wouldn't have associated themselves to do that dude by featuring the game's trailer at E3. They're incompetent at best

Yeah this is a bad look for them already.

I hope some of the gaming press will pick up on this, otherwise I can totally see this go by kinda unnoticed.

WITHE1982

Well that's disappointing.The game looked visually stunning and could have been the Flashback replacement I was waiting for.

Guess it'll now join the ranks of Armikrog et al that I'll never play.

Because siding with a movement that has threaten the lives of women is just "suspicious", right?

I think you're completely misinterpreting my post. I'm referring to things like this:

MåndagSöndag;240244244 said:
He has the art style and gametype down.

why would i not give him the benefit of a doubt.

Being followed up with things like this:

A future where people's words and actions have consequences?

A truly dystopian future.

Spman2099

Uh-huh... This will surely end well.

Maebe

Because siding with a movement that has threaten the lives of women is just "suspicious", right?

And these mra folk would complain that a game with anything but a white male protag being "too political". Yet I'm sure they will support something seeped in their own backwards agendas.

cntr

Banned
euphemisms and dodges to hide your real beliefs have been a thing since time immemorial, probably

glad they usually fall apart after a while

mjp2417

Banned

makes u think

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ohh man this game looks stunning.
I wonder how they achieved the look. Sprites but not really sprites tech?

The settings remind me of a 90's french comic called "Le Grand Manque" (the great absence). A near futur where there are only women left on earth, organised in a cruel fachistic society.
-le-grand-manque-christian-godard-.jpg

Makai

Actually, most modern 2D games are actually 3D but with sprites as a texture, applied on a flat polygon.
This is more than that. Looks like maybe 2D characters and 3D models with a shader for other stuff If the car is a 2D sprite, they put a lot of work into it for it to rotate.

borges

Banned
lol at people not buying it because what creator believes. im libertarian, so then i would have avoid all cortazar and picasso work because their ideology? ill buy the game if it looks great, and thats all.

BBboy20

lol at people not buying it because what creator believes. im libertarian, so then i would have avoid all cortazar and picasso work because their ideology? ill buy the game if it looks great, and thats all.
...there has been enough evidence to support that his beliefs are harmful to women...I...jesus.

nynt9

It's beyond the creator's belief. They said the game's concept is a dystopian world where "feminism won" over "egalitarianism. Their views are directly embedded into the work.

It's not just what the creator believes, it's been made clear that it will be a central part of the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom