• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scathing CNET article on crossplay: "PlayStation seems intent on remaining an island"

PBY

Banned
I hope Sony doesn't give in on this unless they establish an agreement on cross-play that goes forward, and that neither side can break with repercussions.

It's not clear if most of the pressure is coming from fans who even own a PS4, rather than people who want more higher player counts to play with on other systems, which isn't really Sony's problem.

If Sony give in this time with nothing established for next gen, where MS could potentially destroy them with a PC xbox with backwards compatibility for PC and xbox games and MS go back to their cross-play position of "nope" like they had when X360 was on top, then Sony would be left hurting and we could lose a decent amount of exclusives.

I say let Sony keep its edge, they'll need it. Unless they work something out that goes forward.

This is mindboggling to me. This makes the PS4 experience BETTER. Why not?

Keinning

This is what I want to know. That type of crossplay would be pointless anyway.

It wouldn't. A bigger pool of players means more people from your region which means better connection for your matches. It's so simple and obvious and yet people still think "lol i have plenty of players on PS4 already no benefits". Baffling.

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
You're still harping on a lie as your main argument. XBL logins are required for Minecraft, and Minecraft only - because minecraft is a microsoft game and the new update will heavily use microsoft servers and resources. Rocket League won't be like that. That you keep bashing your head against such an obvious thing is astonishing.

Even beyond that, I've yet to hear an explanation for what's so terrible about logging in via Xbox Live? It sounds like the most convenient way for MS to keep track of your content/activity across devices, rather than reinvent the wheel here. And it's just for a single game, If you already own a PS4, a login is not going to tempt you to go Xbox if you don't own one already.

Now, I do think that there may be a more profound explanation for Sony holding out, and I do believe that's there been a crazy overreaction to all of this. But I also don't understand how anyone could object to logging in to another service, same as we do for all other services - and servers.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
The point is correct, but the examples used are poor at best. Full cross-platform play in FPS isn't happening any time soon, with or without Sony involved. There's no cross-platform play now in Overwatch or Titanfall between XBox and PC. And that has nothing to do with Sony.

That has nothing to do with Sony because Blizzard and Respawn are aware of the PC advantage with FPS games. Those companies wouldn't have any reason to limit cross console play for their games.

Frodo

But... but... but as a business it makes sense for Sony, or something. We must defend Sony's interests over ours as costumers!!!

Honestly, sometimes is hard to believe how much the gaming community seems to like to be taken as hostage by the industry.

15strong

It wouldn't. A bigger pool of players means more people from your region which means better connection for your matches. It's so simple and obvious and yet people still think "lol i have plenty of players on PS4 already no benefits". Baffling.

But everyone keeps saying "play with friends across paltforms." Is that even true?

This is starting to feel like one of the greatest overreactions in the history of gaming. We've had more threads on this one topic than anything else that came out of E3. All because of two games. I'm still sitting here, as someone pro-crossplay but ultimately quite ambivalent, wondering how this has become the #1 issue in gaming (compared to, say, the widespread psychological exploitation of gamers through nasty F2P, P2W, gacha systems.)

I'm also a little bemused that Microsoft are being painted as the good guy when you consider that they recently released Halo Wars on Steam - but its owners can't play against Halo Wars on the Windows Store.

Sony's public stance on this is clearly nonsense, and their private stance is sorely obvious. Yet I can't help but feel this conversation is mostly hypothetical. Lots of people talking about cross play. Very few using it or needing it. Personally, until there is cross system partying and chatting, it seems largely pointless, and as such this feels like a storm in a teacup. Once cross play is a really valuable feature, I'll be more interested in Sony doing it. Right now it feels like "In the future (maybe) cross play will be widespread and useful, let's make sure everyone is on board from the beginning". Fair enough. Not sure it's a great cause.
Just Gaf gaffing. Enjoy the ride.

This is mindboggling to me. This makes the PS4 experience BETTER. Why not?

One of my major problems with cross play, and I've yet to see a good solution for it (at least in major titles) is that players from another system would lack the hooks into the system-level environment so you'd have to do everything through in-game stuff. If I wanted to send a message, or invite them to my party, or look at their profile and they were on an Xbox and I was on a PS4, I'd have no way of doing that.

Skux

Minecraft and Rocket League. Two games out of hundreds. So let's say Sony implements crossplay. You get to play Rocket League with your friend on XB1 for a few hours and it's a good time.

But then you want to play Destiny or Anthem or Battlefield. You're still stuck on the same islands. And I guarantee that not even MS is going to crossplay their latest AAA titles - ones they have exclusive marketing deals with - and let people with PS4s play Anthem with XB1X owners when they've spent millions of dollars trying to convince people that XB1X is the best place to play it on.

Keinning

I hope Sony doesn't give in on this unless they establish an agreement on cross-play that goes forward, and that neither side can break with repercussions.

It's not clear if most of the pressure is coming from fans who even own a PS4, rather than people who want more higher player counts to play with on other systems, which isn't really Sony's problem.

If Sony give in this time with nothing established for next gen, where MS could potentially destroy them with a PC xbox with backwards compatibility for PC and xbox games and MS goes back to their cross-play position of "nope" like they had when X360 was on top, then Sony would be left hurting and we could lose a decent amount of exclusives.

I say let Sony keep its edge, they'll need it to keep people in their ecosystem. Unless they work something out that goes forward.

This post is incredibly bizarre. Nothing about it addresses what is good for customers, only what is good for Sony, the company.

Please, please tell me you're a Sony employee.

I'm not rolling with there being a catch when Nintendo is involved.

21541-24728-destojwyoxcnbfmvcnuj-l.jpg

We're talking about a company who uses that clusterfuck for voice chat because they want to keep children safe being fully on board with this.

No excuse is good enough at this point.

Dynomutt

If Sony give in this time with nothing established for next gen, where MS could potentially destroy them with a PC xbox with backwards compatibility for PC and xbox games and MS goes back to their cross-play position of "nope" like they had when X360 was on top, then Sony would be left hurting and we could lose a decent amount of exclusives.

I say let Sony keep its edge, they'll need it. Unless they work something out that goes forward.

The Cross-Platform Armistice of 2017. Layden on one side Phil on the other. Geoff Keighley as the mediator. Terms are both MS and Sony have to fund the creation of 3rd party studio and AAA game(s) that come with cross-platform play. Invite Nintendo too.

It's benefits are really small since it's a game with healthy player base with crossplay between ps4 and pc. Might as well let Rocket league do it for the good press but it doesn't help PS4 owners much of it's just more random players in a healthy game

cakely

It's weird: I've played very few cross-platform online mulitplayer games but three of them are on PSN: FF XIV, Rocket League and Star Trek: Bridge Crew.

I guess that description opens up quite a bit if you count mobile games.

J-Skee

What bugs even more about this is that it was Sony who helped propel Rocket League to the popularity they now have. You'd think they would at least do them a solid & enable a feature they clearly want to implement.

I think that whenever possible, devs should try enable cross platform play. Don't even make a big deal about it. Just do it. It should pressure Sony even more if titles more than Minecraft & Rocket League support this.

Karl2177

While not cross-play specifically, what is the opinion on sharing always online content? The best example is Destiny, where characters between PS3 and PS4 were shared, but a player would have to start from scratch if they wanted an Xbox character. What if they could have 1 character go across the PSN/XBL(and soon to be battlenet) divide.

They'll cave eventually. Once big 3rd party AAA devs/pubs start adopting cross-platform play, they won't have much of a choice.

And what if you do not own an Xbox but have friends that do?

I primarily go playstation but have friends I'd love to play with who go Xbox. Sony's policy here does me no favors.

Why is it surprising that some people have friends with different consoles and they want to play with them without buying a second or third console? I don't get why anyone would roll over on the subject.

You guys do realize that you can't party up in most cross-platform play games, right?

Even if Sony allowed it, it's not like you'd be able to talk to, or party up with, your friends on other systems for most games.

Okay you're right that's a benefit. Just a really really small one and not what people are thinking of when they say they want crossplay.

They want to group up with their friends and actually play games together, not just have more randoms in the matchmaking pool.

Keinning

It's benefits are really small since it's a game with healthy player base with crossplay between ps4 and pc. Might as well let Rocket league do it for the good press but it doesn't help PS4 owners much of it's just more random players in a healthy game

Better connection and less lag/issues are hardly "small benefits" for multiplayer games of any genre.

15strong

But... but... but as a business it makes sense for Sony, or something. We must defend Sony's interests over ours as costumers!!!

Honestly, sometimes is hard to believe how much the gaming community seems to like to be taken as hostage by the industry.

There is a difference between supporting a business decision and understanding a business decision. There is no way Sony is going to encourage 10+million of its player base to sign up for xbox live for minecraft. WE may not agree with it as players, but we understand it as a business decision.

TsuWave

why do some people think this will affect ps4 sales

it matters to sony because people who would potentially buy their system to play with friends won't have to do it anymore. but more than hardware sales its software sales and locking people to their ecosystem where the money is in the gaming industry. cross platform play makes it less likely for some to buy games on ps4 when they can just buy it on another system and still be able to play with their friends/people on the ps4 side of things. also, they no longer have the most powerful system in the market, we are yet to see how the xb1x does in the market, especially at that price point, but most 3rd parties game will perform better on it, and some people will buy it for that, now imagine microsoft somehow manages to get a price drop for it sooner than later, it could very well get some momentum going, couple that with cross platform suddenly becoming a thing, why would anyone buy 3rd party software on sony hardware?

i mean sony are still a business

Nothing is crushing my post, I don't care about Minecraft and I'm pretty sure Rocket League has more players on playstation.

RDR2 will be multiplatform game with a bigger player base on Playstation and plenty of people to play with online.

I don't know guys, are xbox gamers that desperate to have Playstation on board? Not enough people on xbox to play with?

True nature of a poster revealed. Are we on Gamefaqs right now?

So, let me get this straight.

Minecraft doesn't matter because you "don't care about it?"

Rocket League having more players on Playstation is IRRELEVANT; you originally made it seem like XBL is in desperate need of crossplay support when RL is consistently in the 10 top of games played every single month and has a massive userbase on XB1. Saying "bu-bu-but it has more players on PS" has no significance in this topic.

Xbox gamers desperate to have PlayStation? Instead of being a fanboy and shilling on behalf of lord Sony, realize that a there is a large majority of PlayStation players and fans that would absolutely love crossplay, as evidenced on NeoGAF the past few days.

"not enough people on xbox to play with" ugh, already addressed that but you need to go outside and get some fresh air. Get that console warrior bullshit out of here.

Endo Punk

I hope Sony gives in but I fear it might be one of those pay to play online scenarios where it amounts to nothing and we simply accept.

Not caring either way is a valid stance.
Sure, but usually when people don't care about something they don't even bother commenting on it. All of these threads have been cluttered by this "Who cares?" stuff, when the answer is obvious. Whoever is in the thread talking about how they want it care.

Anything that amounts to "Who cares?" is just a shit post.
There is a difference between supporting a business decision and understanding a business decision. There is no way Sony is going to encourage 10+million of its player base to sign up for xbox live for minecraft. WE may not agree with it as players, but we understand it as a business decision.
There is also a difference between understanding a business decision and defending the company for making it.

Not saying you are, but many have. Consumers really shouldn't care about what is or isn't a good business decision unless the decision could potentially sink the business.

People who bring up this point also seem to forget that there have been times when companies have made bone headed decisions and reversed their stances when enough people gave them shit about it. Even if it might not have been in the companies best business interest.

Dunlop

This post is incredibly bizarre. Nothing about it addresses what is good for customers, only what is good for Sony, the company.

Not only that it is a weird hypothetical issue that could occur years from now

The Jutty

Those are all shooters so why would you want to? PC would be at a competitive advantage.

If they keep aim assist for the controller the edge still goes to the controller. They did this on Black Ops 3 and the community hated it and my KDR was much higher with a controller than it was with a mkb. No aim assist and the PC players would destroy it's very hard to balance fairly and one side is always going to be upset.

Edit: Even with Aim assist the precision weapons like the Sniper were better with mkb. I also think BO3 didn't have aim assist on Sniper even with console release so that may be why as well.

Skyzard

Banned

Sony funding exclusives that would have otherwise not been made is good for people.

That's in the post. They need to stay competitive. A large userbase with online that is populated helps keep people in their ecosystem right now.

They're going to have a tough time when MS merges Xbox and PC. The game compatibility library would just be too high.

David___

Banned
You guys do realize that you can't party up in most cross-platform play games, right?

Even if Sony allowed it, it's not like you'd be able to talk to, or party up with, your friends on other systems for most games.

There would be a chance, but yea. Each dev would need their own backend/network like CFN where you can add people that only play that one game

True nature of a poster revealed. Are we on Gamefaqs right now?

So, let me get this straight.

Minecraft doesn't matter because you "don't care about it?"

Rocket League having more players on Playstation is IRRELEVANT; you originally made it seem like XBL is in desperate need of crossplay support when RL is consistently in the 10 top of games played every single month and has a massive userbase on XB1. Saying "bu-bu-but it has more players on PS" has no significance in this topic.

Xbox gamers desperate to have PlayStation? Instead of being a fanboy and shilling on behalf of lord Sony, realize that a there is a large majority of PlayStation players and fans that would absolutely love crossplay, as evidenced on NeoGAF the past few days.

"not enough people on xbox to play with" ugh, already addressed that but you need to go outside and get some fresh air. Get that console warrior bullshit out of here.

Dude, xbox is my main console and it was since original xbox, how am I a fanboy now lol common man.

Keinning

Sony funding exclusives that would have otherwise not been made is good for people.

That's in the post.

Crossplay won't stop Sony from doing good exclusives. specially because exclusives won't be part of crossplay since they are exclusives. You're not making any sense.

If you really think crossplay would hurt Sony that deeply and that they would stop making new games because of it, you have a way bigger issue in your mind

cordy

Banned
Honestly I love this because Sony's gotta change their ways. I dislike this and mind you I've got all the platforms, just seems sad to hinder fans.

This is what I want to know. That type of crossplay would be pointless anyway.

From the Rocket League devs themselves:

• Faster matchmaking connections due to a bigger player pool in your region
  • Better competition due to a bigger player pool
And I'd also add that a bigger player pool benefits more niche objective modes that even games at CoD's level manage to have problems keeping populated.

Beyond that specifically, these baby steps allow for devs to make the case to start investing in the infrastructure that would allow for more meaningful communication between games.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Smearing the competition is one way to ignite a sales boost through consumers who see it as good will.

I've said it before on NeoGAF and I stick to my guns. I don't think the agreement is anywhere near as simple as just saying yes. I'd rather Sony and Microsoft had a dialogue about this and worked towards something mutually beneficial.

Instead a blogger posted a tweet about the situation rather than Microsoft doing the respectable thing and just saying that it's not coming to Playstation at this time whilst negotiating a way of making it happen. Several key figures on both sides have since commented, throwing fuel on the fire and now over entitled gamers are saying they can give it to the man and effectively bully a company into entering an agreement that may be detrimental to their business by smearing that business as being anti consumer on every single forum and social media outlet I've been on.

One thing I can say is that it's worked.

I really don't think it's as simple as just saying yes at all. The developer has access to the technology to make it happen but business wise what is the cost? Do Microsoft want the ability to market their products to playstation owners? Do they expect contribution from Nintendo or Sony for the maintenance of those servers? Would Sony be given any kind of power to request certain features of content? How does Sony penalise players on other networks who break T&C of online play? Would Sony be happy linking their network to others without properly walking through the security and features after the massive hack that hugely damaged their business? Are Sony supposed to be happy that Microsoft wants playstation users to have an XBOX Live log in to access the service, basically turning a direct competitors product into a way of increasing their own customer base?

Sony have worked cross play on Street Fighter V and Final Fantasy XIV so they are open too it. DC Universe Online is another example. But when it means working with the competition, I imagine it's a little more delicate than that and I'd rather let the two companies sort this out between themselves. They're both run by adults who very likely know how beneficial this will be to all minecraft gamers, so why don't we let them sort it out?

Ready for a wall of hate. Come at me.

Good post.

I thought about this re reading the initial quote for the think of children response from Sony:

How does Sony penalise players on other networks who break T&C of online play?

Re reading that quote I think he was thinking along these lines.

I wanna say just worry about what you can control. Or let MS deal with it. If thats even possible.

Like this has me reading up on TOS of uPlay and whatever else is in 3rd party games.

If Sony can allow uPlay, WBPlay, Origin, etc. why not a Live login for Minecraft? Because they dont sell consoles?

Well they sell games. They are competing with companies for hardware and software.

Dont you need a Rockstar Social login to play GTA V online? Not really sure...Just bringing that up because the of the children line.

To me Sony has no choice but to allow it.

It is. Ask the Rocket League devs. All sony had to do was say "yes", literally.

Barely any, if any. Again, Rocket League.

No. Unless you consider marketing Minecraft as part of this? You know, because minecraft is a microsoft product and Sony was fine with it till crossplay got involved.

Nonsense. First - only Minecraft so far is using 'xbox' servers for obvious reasons. Two, the gain comes in form of more people to matchmake, not in money.

What do you mean by this? Why would it be allowed only for Sony? And still, dev to dev basis.

Same way they do it for pc crossplay right now.

Yes, because its Sony with their leaky network that should be scared of others and not the opposite.

If Sony don't want microsoft to ask for microsoft logins in microsoft games that uses microsoft servers, they can simply not allow them in their platforms. See how well this will go.

Your examples after that are all irrelevant. The discussion is not "console - PC" crossplay, it's "console - console - console - PC" crossplay.

I was about to respond to that post, but this is pretty much point for point what I wanted to say. Well put.

Skyzard

Banned
Thats ridiculous logic based on nothing?

Your logic is ridiculous and short sighted if you don't think a PC xbox would seriously hurt Sony consoles going forward.

Crossplay won't stop Sony from doing good exclusives. specially because exclusives won't be part of crossplay since they are exclusives. You're not making any sense.

If you really think crossplay would hurt Sony that deeply and that they would stop making new games because of it, you have a way bigger issue in your mind

Cross-play means they lose an edge in having high multiplayer counts for their games. Something that would help keep players buying from their ecosystem. Which they'll need going forward into future gens.

Some of you guys seem to have trouble reading, I'm repeating myself.

Better connection and less lag/issues are hardly "small benefits" for multiplayer games of any genre.
For a game as densely populated as Rocket league yea i don't see it moving the needle much.

Where cross play with random players really helps is more niche genres and games. Things like the fighting game genre. And having SFV be cross play has helped it keep active users

But again if it's just more random people that's nice, but it's not a key feature IMO that would be, being able to invite, party up and play with people across platforms. And to me that seems like a much bigger logistical hurdle. Sony shouldn't block it but I don't see that as a "flip a switch" case

SpotAnime

Good to put pressure on them. I mean they don't have to do anything but it's what their consumers want, they're just being arrogant.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Some developers like Cliffy B have come out incredibly strongly against crossplay for genres like FPS games because the PC community would have a huge advantage with a keyboard and mouse control scheme.

This is worth remembering. Developers will still be able to design and approve or not of cross-play, so even if Sony jumps in, it does not mean every game going forward will do it.

That said, I would be willing for it to become widespread only if it's invisible to the player. As in no need to log in with another set of credentials and no restrictions on maps/modes by playerbase.

Lifeline

Seeing that most AAA games won't be on switch and any competitive multiplayer game would have to leave PC out of the crossplay. I feel like for most games, it will just be Sony sharing their playerbase with Xbox.

And being the market leader, there's not much reason for Sony to do that. Sony doesn't want you to be able to play with your Xbox friends. That gets them nothing. They want your Xbox friends to move to Playstation.

I've said this before in another thread. But apart from exclsuives the number 2 reason I chose PS over Xbox was that my friends were on it. If there was crossplay, I think I could've been convinced to go Xbox One instead.

Sony's not going to give up this advantage.

Top Bottom