• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

MaLDo

Just installed this and getting a lot of micro-stutter.

I am running native max frame rate and native resolution on a Gsync 1440p 165hz monitor with Vsync and framerate smoothing disabled. Any advice?

Framerate smoothing must be activated. The game is unstable with it off.

If the game can't maintain native refreshrate, will be unstable too. So you will have better results disabling gsync and forcing a 60 hz resolution.

Ingame vsync must be activated, otherwise framerate will be unstable. Other approach could be disabling ingame vsync but forcing framelimit v2 to 60 fps in nvidia inspector.

If you want to play over 30 fps, max render ahead must be 3. Lower values will produce stutters.

I found better results disabling shader cache in the game profile.
You don't need to change max frames ahead value in the game profile, ingame settings is enough.

Dynamic settings (I don't remember the name) must be disabled, otherwise will be stutters.

Just installed this and getting a lot of micro-stutter.

I am running native max frame rate and native resolution on a Gsync 1440p 165hz monitor with Vsync and framerate smoothing disabled. Any advice?

As mentioned above enable frame rate smoothing, you'll also want to cap your frame-rate to whatever provides the most consistent performance.

The 3Gb version of the 1060 can't handle Horizon 3, i had to switch to a 1070 now i am in the paradise.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that it's the VRAM situation almost entirely. Watch Dogs 2 murdered it too but that game also taxes CPU/RAM heavily.

I only have 8GB DDR5 and a 6700 HQ. I just wish devs would do a better job of scaling these things. If it can run almost flawlessly on an Xbone which has a netbook CPU and a weak ass GPU, why can't my 1060 run it at a consistent framerate? I will try some of the other settings suggested but right now, no matter what I turn down, I can't get a fluid framerate without major hitching.

I'm stuck with the current config except for the RAM because it's a laptop. I can only hope the 1060 3 GB is a viable option for 1080-1440p gaming for at least a little while longer.

MaLDo

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that it's the VRAM situation almost entirely. Watch Dogs 2 murdered it too but that game also taxes CPU/RAM heavily.

I only have 8GB DDR5 and a 6700 HQ. I just wish devs would do a better job of scaling these things. If it can run almost flawlessly on an Xbone which has a netbook CPU and a weak ass GPU, why can't my 1060 run it at a consistent framerate? I will try some of the other settings suggested but right now, no matter what I turn down, I can't get a fluid framerate without major hitching.

I'm stuck with the current config except for the RAM because it's a laptop. I can only hope the 1060 3 GB is a viable option for 1080-1440p gaming for at least a little while longer.

I think is a bandwitch problem.

Best way, imo, to play this game today, is to set desktop resfreshrate to 50 hz and play with vsync enabled in game, framerate smoothing on, max frames ahead = 3, ...

The game will lock to 50 fps easily.

If the game can't maintain native refreshrate, will be unstable too. So you will have better results disabling gsync and forcing a 60 hz resolution.

Ingame vsync must be activated, otherwise framerate will be unstable. Other approach could be disabling ingame vsync but forcing framelimit v2 to 60 fps in nvidia inspector.

If you want to play over 30 fps, max render ahead must be 3. Lower values will produce stutters.

You don't need to change max frames ahead value in the game profile, ingame settings is enough.

Dynamic settings (I don't remember the name) must be disabled, otherwise will be stutters.

This was a very helpful summary of the information in this thread. Thank you!

MaLDo

This was a very helpful summary of the information in this thread. Thank you!

Thanks!

This game always had the main problem loading assets and how this loading hangs the renderer thread. Is very similar to Watch Dogs 1 and 2 problems. Reducing texture resolution alleviates the problem, moving the game to a SSD disk, does nothing. Using 50 hz/ 50 fps brings more time per frame to the streaming data, so alleviates the problem too.

mike6467

Wow! The original post was me exactly, I actually haven't touched it since installing the other day (after buying at launch). Instead I installed it on my XBOne, but I'll give this a shot, thank you!

Kolle

Neo Member
I can't tell if it's my setup or the game, but when I use DSR it stutters nonstop, regardless of resolution. At native 1440p max settings, I get 75-90 fps on my 1080/6700k and it's really smooth with g-sync.

Wow I didn't know there was a 3GB variant of the GTX 1060 for laptops, I looked up one of them and it appears that some may actually be the full GTX 1060 chip with 1280 cores.
If you want to you can verify this with GPU-Z.

So you can't get consistent frame-rates even when targeting 60 fps? The settings I posted two posts prior to this, give them a shot. Alternatively you can also check out this post I made here and try these too.

I can't tell if it's my setup or the game, but when I use DSR it stutters nonstop, regardless of resolution. At native 1440p max settings, I get 75-90 fps on my 1080/6700k and it's really smooth with g-sync.

Hmm, so this happens for all DSR resolutions? Which ones have you used?

You might want to install the latest version of Rivatuna Statistics Server with MSI Afterburner and check out your GPU usage. Alternatively, try capping your frame-rate to something like 60 fps and see if the problem still persists.

I think is a bandwitch problem.

Best way, imo, to play this game today, is to set desktop resfreshrate to 50 hz and play with vsync enabled in game, framerate smoothing on, max frames ahead = 3, ...

The game will lock to 50 fps easily.

Thanks, I will try this. I guess 50 would be a nice compromise. The image quality is certainly a step above the xbone version even at the same resolution simply because a lot of 'clean up' settings are either disabled or on a low preset, or at least that's how it appears (so tired of lack of anisotropic filtering on consoles!)

Kolle

Neo Member
Hmm, so this happens for all DSR resolutions? Which ones have you used?

You might want to install the latest version of Rivatuna Statistics Server with MSI Afterburner and check out your GPU usage. Alternatively, try capping your frame-rate to something like 60 fps and see if the problem still persists.

Yes, tried every DSR step above 1440p. Okay this is weird, I just locked the framerate to 60 with Rivatuner and despite displaying 16.6ms frametimes I still get micro-stutter but using the game's fps cap it's smooth, usually it's the other way around.

My findings after countless fiddling, similar to above;

Turn off Shader Cache in NV profile (less I/O usage at the expense of CPU and longer loads)
Increase Render Ahead value (more latency but better pacing)
Turn on Framerate Smoothing
Don't bother with RTSS beta frame cap, doesn't seem to do good things
Don't use Windows 10 Game Mode, turn it off completely in the Xbox app
Dynamic settings don't work and are pointless

RAM speed is important

Tune your graphics settings with the buggy exhibition race 'Rainforest Cross Country Circuit' in the middle of the map (This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQi9Jyj429Q). Lower shadow detail first if this drops frames. If you can sustain framerate here with all the foliage and a full pack of cars in front kicking up dust, you should be good for 99% of the game. Chase cam is way more demanding than in-car, so use that if you intend to play in that view.

Thanks! All I did was enable framerate smoothing and now I'm getting a solid ~77fps with zero stutter with Gsync enabled. This game looks and runs so beautifully now! I am running it on a 6700K/980 Ti setup.

Xyber

I still don't believe it's actually possible to run this game at 60fps with zero stuttering no matter what PC you have.

Can say that with a 1080Ti and i7 5820K, I still get some stuttering in that city area. It is definitely much better than at launch and overall the game is really smooth, but there's still some minor issues there.

scanferr

Does anyone have a problem with this game crashing a lot? Since the game was release, in circa 2 hours of playing, game crashes easily 4 times, at least. Crash to desktop. Is there any solution for this?

Flaxh

Hi guys!

I have two friends on PC that recently reinstalled the game hoping that the problems were fixed but they keep having crashes playing online. Do you guys run in to the same issues?

Mascot

I've downloaded the demo twice now (on PC) but it won't progress beyond the initial windowed splash screen, then crashes to desktop. Any ideas?

CPU
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6600K (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® Z170I PRO GAMING: Mini-ITX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk
240GB KINGSTON UV400 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (550MB/R, 490MB/W)

Thanks in advance. This is one of my most anticipated titles on the new rig.

I've downloaded the demo twice now (on PC) but it won't progress beyond the initial windowed splash screen, then crashes to desktop. Any ideas?

CPU
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-6600K (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® Z170I PRO GAMING: Mini-ITX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk
240GB KINGSTON UV400 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (550MB/R, 490MB/W)

Thanks in advance. This is one of my most anticipated titles on the new rig.

The demo is not updated with latest performance and stability patches.

KageMaru

Is this a problem with gsync? I've had smoothing turned off from the beginning and don't have any stutter when locking it to 60fps after the last update.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I'm having this goddamn issue with Forza where the game is telling me to sign in, but giving me no options to do so. Essentially, a blank grey box briefly pops up, goes away, and I get a message saying that I cannot proceed without being signed into a profile. Thus, I cannot play the game. The only way to fix this that I found would be to download a clean install of the game. Is there possibly any other way to fix this? With my internet connection, a fresh download of this game would take around a week, and I REALLY don't feel like putting up with that.

Mascot

Pretty sure you'll be just fine. It runs like a dream on my rig which is almost identical to yours.
Great, thanks.

Is there a summary anywhere of all the collective advice in this thread regarding best settings to get optimum performance? It seems complicated.

Ptaaty

Game runs amazing now. Never had much of an issue at decent settings, 1440p on my RX 480 well over 60fps...but now it has zero little hitches. Like a butter.

Castaway

I'm having this goddamn issue with Forza where the game is telling me to sign in, but giving me no options to do so. Essentially, a blank grey box briefly pops up, goes away, and I get a message saying that I cannot proceed without being signed into a profile. Thus, I cannot play the game. The only way to fix this that I found would be to download a clean install of the game. Is there possibly any other way to fix this? With my internet connection, a fresh download of this game would take around a week, and I REALLY don't feel like putting up with that.

Make sure you're signed into the windows store with the same ID used to buy the game before you launch the game.

Dave_6

My new build finally allows me to max this out (7700K-1080ti-16GB RAM). All settings on Ultra, in game V-Sync off with G-Sync and NVCP V-Sync on at 1440p. Seems to stay locked at 72 fps (never tried unlocked framerate) though I would get a stutter every once in a while. Massive improvement over my old setup to say the least.

Great, thanks.

Is there a summary anywhere of all the collective advice in this thread regarding best settings to get optimum performance? It seems complicated.
My findings after countless fiddling, similar to above;

Turn off Shader Cache in NV profile (less I/O usage at the expense of CPU and longer loads)
Increase Render Ahead value (more latency but better pacing)
Turn on Framerate Smoothing
Don't bother with RTSS beta frame cap, doesn't seem to do good things
Don't use Windows 10 Game Mode, turn it off completely in the Xbox app
Dynamic settings don't work and are pointless

RAM speed is important

Tune your graphics settings with the buggy exhibition race 'Rainforest Cross Country Circuit' in the middle of the map (This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQi9Jyj429Q). Lower shadow detail first if this drops frames. If you can sustain framerate here with all the foliage and a full pack of cars in front kicking up dust, you should be good for 99% of the game. Chase cam is way more demanding than in-car, so use that if you intend to play in that view.
My findings

daninthemix

Unlikely, but has anyone seen (and got a solution for) this very weird problem - the first Drivatar doesn't spawn. I'm told to drive into the yellow circle, there's a cutscene telling me to challenge him to a race - but he's nowhere to be found (not even in the cutscene!).

Sigh.

EDIT: a very kind soul from YouTube gave me a file that I had to put in the Forza appdata folder somewhere. Very obscure, but clearly others have had this issue.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered many times before but has the 30fps locked input lag been patched yet or at least fixed by the community?

I know I probably cant get consistent 60 with a 1060 and 5500k but I don't mind locking to 30 at least it'll look better then XB1 but can't play with that lag that happened to be there for some reason

Thanks all :)

Castaway

Sorry if this has been asked and answered many times before but has the 30fps locked input lag been patched yet or at least fixed by the community?

I know I probably cant get consistent 60 with a 1060 and 5500k but I don't mind locking to 30 at least it'll look better then XB1 but can't play with that lag that happened to be there for some reason

Thanks all :)

If you're playing with a locked framerate (either 30 or 60), make sure the "Maximum Pre-rendered Frames" is set to 1 (not 2 or 3). Otherwise, you will notice input lag.

If you're playing with a locked framerate (either 30 or 60), make sure the "Maximum Pre-rendered Frames" is set to 1 (not 2 or 3). Otherwise, you will notice input lag.

Thanks! If that is an nvidia control panel setting then mine was most likely set to that when I tested at launch but if its an ingame setting then I'm not so sure. Will test it out in a few days when I can and see

Castaway

Thanks! If that is an nvidia control panel setting then mine was most likely set to that when I tested at launch but if its an ingame setting then I'm not so sure. Will test it out in a few days when I can and see

It's one of the in game video settings, but depending on your system, Nvidia driver updates tend to override your saved game video settings, such as unlocking framerate and picking resolution, etc. The FH3 pre-rendered frame settings should be 1 when you lock framerate at 30 or 60, and 2 or 3 if you unlock framerate.

Personally, I'm not a fan of unlocked framerate. I prefer the consistency and smoothness of locked framerate.

Mascot

Ah, I'll try this too. I'm locked to 60fps but have MPRF set to '3'. Seems fine to me as is, but I'll try dropping it to '1' and see if something magical happens.

Grassy

I still don't believe it's actually possible to run this game at 60fps with zero stuttering no matter what PC you have.

I just reinstalled FH3 this week after deleting it at the start of the year, and it's a night and day difference for me. I get absolutely zero stuttering now, even in Surfer's Paradise. It runs super smooth everywhere.

6700K(stock)
980 Ti SC
SSD
16GB DDR4
1440P Acer G Sync

All settings Ultra, no dynamic optimisation, unlocked framerate, 1440P + 8x MSAA. I get 60fps+ the majority of the time with some minor drops into the mid-50's.

Fredrik

I just reinstalled FH3 this week after deleting it at the start of the year, and it's a night and day difference for me. I get absolutely zero stuttering now, even in Surfer's Paradise. It runs super smooth everywhere.

6700K(stock)
980 Ti SC
SSD
16GB DDR4
1440P Acer G Sync

All settings Ultra, no dynamic optimisation, unlocked framerate, 1440P + 8x MSAA. I get 60fps+ the majority of the time with some minor drops into the mid-50's.
Yeah it's really well-optimized now. I have a similar rig...
4790K 4GHz
SSD
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
980 TI Gigabyte G1
...and when scaling some stuff down to high I still run it above 60fps all the time on three 1080p screens at a total resolution of 6000x1080 !!
This game has cemented it's position as the best racing game this generation. Forza Motorstorm 7 will have to do some seriously crazy stuff to climb above it I think.

Patrick S.

Banned

I get zero stuttering on my PC now, locked at 60, mostly high and some ultra settings. If I knew how to record a gameplay video and upload it, I might do so :p

Top Bottom