• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will there be a New Super Mario Bros. game on the Switch?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
After the two we got on the Wii U, I hope we do get one on the Switch as well as a new 3D World. Then we'll have all three Mario style games on one console and I'll be happy as a clam.

WonderPup

I don't care what they do as long as they fix the button layout. The NSMB games were unplayable for me, because all the controls felt backwards.

I feel asleep half way through my post, hah. What I meant to say is they they should change the same old, tired world tropes. Give us some fresh and funky out-there new world themes.

Why wouldn't there be?

The better question is, will there be a game that isn't essentially New Super Mario Bros DS 5: Console Version Number 3. Cause I think there is still room to do something great with the presentation, world, mechanics under the brand NSMB - they just haven't ever. The level design is great though.

If Mario Kart 8 is any indication (the pre-WiiU MK games were honestly very homely looking games with cheap sounding, forgettable midi music), they don't have to abandon the NSMB brand in order to create a beautiful and exciting entry in the "New" series.
The platforming and level design within the NSMB games is top notch, they don't need to "reinvent" it, they just need to wrap a more compelling presentation around the super solid foundation that they have.

First of all, Super Mario Bros. (2d Mario) is one of their biggest game franchise. They'd be crazy not to make a new installment. Mario Maker is fun, but it's not a Super Mario Bros. game.

Two: This is what Takahashi Tezuka said to Famitsu near the end of 2015:

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/tezuk...smb-interest-in-working-on-non-mario-project/

So a new 2D Mario adventure is very likely in the works.

My hopes are that they've taken mine, and a number of other peoples feedback, to heart and give the game the time and budget it's multi-million sales from a massive audience deserve.

New music, some new re-arrangements, and no more "bah bah" songs. No recycling from the NEW Super Mario Bros. series. 4 games of reusing music from that series were already too many.

Give it the feel of adventure! This is how these games were perceived in our young minds back in the day. The Princess was aiding us (as Mario) during our quest to rescue the Mushroom Kingdom kings, before she herself was kidnapped for the last world of Super Mario Bros. 3: a game that had greatly expanded the Mushroom Kingdom world and is still one of the best 2D Mario packages today with it's memorable soundtrack, epic stages (war ships, subs, tanks), tough enemies, the koopa kids, hidden secrets, and a well complementing pixel art style.

Super Mario Bros. 3 was huge for it's time, and still holds up today. I want to see a new 2D Mario dish out new lore, enemies, and allies in a strong rounded overall package using today's advancements in technology on top of well designed levels, power-ups, and other fun gameplay.
Yeah, I'd also like to see them break out of the SMB3/SMW mold, they've been recycling it since NSMB Wii. NSMB DS was a bit more SMB1 mixed with SMB3.

Nessus

Both NSMB and NSMBW sold like 30 million copies each.

NSMB2 sold over 11 million copies.

And NSMBWU sold over 5 million copies on the Wii U, a console that only sold 13 million units, so not quite half of all Wii U owners.

The 2D Marios usually outsell the 3D ones.

They'd be stupid not to, but since this is Nintendo we're talking about..

And NSMBWU sold over 5 million copies on the Wii U, a console that only sold 13 million units, so not quite half of all Wii U owners.

Has Nintendo ever shelved a popular series? Like a really popular ones? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. It's most likely Nintendo will try to do something different with the 2D SMB games, which is definitely necessary after 4 very similar games

Kouriozan

Since you capitalized New I assume a "New Super Mario Bros." on Switch with what you said in the OP and I went "god no please not again"
Now if you meant a new "Super Mario Bros." well of course it's happening.

Peltz

I love Mario Maker but it doesn't hold a candle to officially made 2D Mario games. Mario Maker is incredibly limited in what it can do. It's honestly very disheartening how underappreciated the amount of mechanics and high quality of level design NSMBU has is.

It's pretty evident if you play NSMBU in a post-Mario Maker world. That game is of insanely high quality.

Personally, however, I am hoping they retool 2D Mario into something new. Some sort of nice hand-drawn graphics would be nice instead of the current aesthetic.

OmegaDL50

I hope to hell not, especially with Super Mario 3D World already sitting there, begging to be ported over to Switch with 4-player local multiplayer.

This isn't a one or the other thing. It's not mutually exclusive. 3D Mario and 2D Mario play differently enough that there is no redundancy. Besides the 2D Mario titles are generally developed by an entirely different team from the 3D Mario games. So it's not like it's a case of resources being taken away from one project or another either.

Please, no. I can't handle those same fucking assets on yet another system.

It's funny because all the other Nintendo's 2D platforms have nice art styles but their flagship title (a 2D Mario ffs) has the most boring and dull visuals... like ever

hotcyder

Once Good Feel get that new Yoshi game out the door, I want to see their material-aesthetic take on the Super Mario Bros formula

Will Nintendo's CEO pick up 100 million dollars if he saw them on the floor?

I'm with everybody here hoping for a new look and some bold moves in the new 2D Mario. It's time for a reboot.

Takat

I hope they take the craziness of Odyssey into 2D. Maybe even making it a semi-open world 2D scroller. Where you move around a huge world through pipes.

I hope they can do new locals like New Donk City and the Mexican themed desert. I like that they left the Mushroom kingdom.

qko

I do hope there is a new 2d mario. Ideally something newer than the "bah-bah" Mario, but I'd still pick it up even if that were the case.

Once Good Feel get that new Yoshi game out the door, I want to see their material-aesthetic take on the Super Mario Bros formula

I'm on team SMB 1 Instruction manual art style for the next game. I hope to someday see an actual moving Mario game in that style.

Cloud7

I'd love a Super Mario Maker 2 honestly. I don't really need another straight up 2D game for awhile though.

Farmboy

Before they do another reboot (handdrawn graphics? Yes please!), first let them release New Super Mario All Stars on Switch.

New Super Mario Bros., remastered in HD
New Super Mario Bros. 2, remastered in HD and featuring co-op play on a single device
New Super Mario Bros. Wii, remastered in HD
New Super Mario Bros. U (with touch gimmicks removed)
New Super Luigi U

I know these games are maligned by the purists for their somewhat bland graphics and music, but damn if that isn't an amazing package for $60.

Before they do another reboot (handdrawn graphics? Yes please!), first let them release New Super Mario All Stars on Switch.

New Super Mario Bros. 2, remastered in HD and featuring co-op play on a single device
New Super Luigi U

I know these games are maligned by the purists for their somewhat bland graphics and music, but damn if that isn't an amazing package for $60.

Yeah, this is acceptable. And I'm always for introducing old games to new generations. That first New game for the DS, in particular, would not only be introduced to lots of new players, but it would benefit greatly from a remaster. It looks and sounds bad now. I mean, Christ, the coins and item boxes were grey. GREY! Instead of yellow. Like, what?

Personally, I want a traditional Super Mario Bros. game that looks like this:

nes_super_mario_bros3_nintendo.jpg

You could say it would be the "cuphead" of Super Mario games.

DekuLink

Hopefully not in the form of the classic NSMB.

I would like a new 2D mario with a new style, new concept and new music.

Peltz

I wasn't aware so many disliked the NSMB games. I loved the 3DS and Wii U ones. So much fun.

I loved them too, but that doesn't mean we need anymore of them.

Nintendo is the master of reinventing franchises into something fresh. It would be a shame if they fell back on the same artstyle and branding for another 2D Mario game.

It's been over a decade since New Super Mario Bros. on DS. At this point, it's "New" in name only.

Personally, I want a traditional Super Mario Bros. game that looks like this:

nes_super_mario_bros3_nintendo.jpg

You could say it would be the "cuphead" of Super Mario games.

I think we all want this. Who knows if Nintendo would ever actually do this though? They can be very unpredictable these days (in a good way).

The NSMB series is stale and no fun

...is what people who didn't play NSMBWU say.

But that said:

Personally, I want a traditional Super Mario Bros. game that looks like this

This WOULD be amazing. Honestly, it seems like the art style is what turns people off of NSMB more than anything. Switching to a hand drawn Miyamoto/Kotabe style game would give the series a huge boost.

ksamedi

There is an obvious demand for 2d Mario titles. Nintendos job is to meat that demand with new titles as long as it is there. Now they already released a mobile version so I wont expect one until 2019. They will have to evolve the series in a meaningfull way, though. Another new super mario bros will probably not cut it and not reach the DS and Wii numbers

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

New Super Luigi U

I would buy the shit out of this. Especially since I never had a 3DS and never played 2.

I'd accept it over a sequel. I've wanted to replay the first game for a while.

Just one thing. Please PLEASE make it so I can play as Luigi in all games, even if it's just after I beat the game. The only one (Excluding NSLU, which didn't even let you play as Mario for obvious reasons.) that let you was NSMB1.

Hell for all I care, after Oddessy they could just port all the previous Mario games and not even do another normal Mario on the Switch and I'd be happy. 1, 2, 3, World, Yoshi and 64 on the Virtual Console. Sunshine in HD. Galaxy 1+2 retoolings in HD. All 5 NSMB games remastered in HD. I'd be in heaven. I wouldn't care if the Switch just became a HD port machine. As long as I can play all those things on it.

Please, no. I can't handle those same fucking assets on yet another system.

They don't use the same assets.

Which is silly since each game uses a different artstyle and NSMBU's is by far the prettiest.

I should have brought this up in that thread, but this is how NSMBU looked at E3 2011 a year and a half before launch:
lV4mVuq.png

And this is how it looked when it was finished:
w4v33t5l.jpg

The E3 2011 demo, known as NSMBMii, featured 5 levels that used assets from NSMBWii with a few new assets they were making for NSMBU. In that desert level all of the assets except for the stone heads are from NSMBWii.

jts

...hate me...
Hopefully.

I understand the concerns about the style staleness but I love me some Nintendo-made 2D Mario levels megapack.

nubbe

Mario Maker is an EoL type of game
When Nintendo has sold their crap, they can let the games lose on their tools for the system.

But in the case of U, wasn't it bundled with the most common SKU?

I too would like a 2D game that takes risks again. Like a final villain thats not Bowser.

But in the case of U, wasn't it bundled with the most common SKU? DS and Wii not only sold more copies but sold on their own

I too would like a 2D game that takes risks again. Like a final villain thats not Bowser.

jts

...hate me...
But in the case of U, wasn't it bundled with the most common SKU? DS and Wii not only sold more copies but sold on their own

Well, they needed the Wii U to sell so they were trying to use Mario to move some Wii Us, and not the other way around. They bundled almost all if not all the most popular Wii U games.

Well, they needed the Wii U to sell so they were trying to use Mario to move some Wii Us, and not the other way around. They bundled almost all if not all the most popular Wii U games.

I was just saying that those 5 million copies isn't impressive since the game was given away in the most common hardware configuration

NSMB and NSMBWii not only outsold it at least 5 to 1, but were never bundled and sold by themselves.

Top Bottom