• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony claims "they're mapping to that forecast" to hit their 6M PSP's sold in NA in 05

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Monk said:
Man elostyle, if you are going to argue that the psp is not competing with the ds, you can claim that Nintendo is after the non gamer with the likes of brain training and nintendogs selling so well like i do. Or you can be a dickhead and claim that psp isn't even portable because of low battery life.
I didn't say that it is not competing with the ds. I think it is competing more with the ps2, however. Concerning software sales that is.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
BlueTsunami said:
You are so full of shit its not even funny. Dominance is not an issue. Also, I personally never peged that the PSP would have total and complete dominance with the PSP. What do you expect from a freshman attempt at a handheld when its competing with a company thats been in the handheld business since Game fricken boy?

Also, I honestly find it laughable that your trying to find a reason why PSP didn't steamroll DS (like its some type of mythical and unknown answer). I (before PSP came out) already figured how hard it would be for Sony to break into the handheld market. Any intelligent person should have seen that.
Christ you are going way overboard. Do you know why I'm looking for a reason why the PSP didn't steamroll the DS? Because I was convinced it would.

Gee, I dunno about that. Months ago I wanted something that I could play with on teh go. So I was saying to myself, "Self, what should I get? A PSP or a PS2?" Sure you might be saying hey shouldn't you be saying a NDS instead of PS2, but that's where you'd be wrong because PSP's specs are much closer to the PS2 so obviously I'm gonna choose between the two for my handheld gaming. Isn't that so obvious?
Being sarcastic is really great when you haven't made a single point yourself. I am still talking about software sales mainly.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
elostyle said:
Deciding between Starwars battlefront on PS2 and PSP is a whole other matter. Just check the threads about those games. Nobody is picking up both versions.

But to be fair, we've been seeing ports (or perhaps "adaptions" is a more fitting term) of console games for DS as well, usually far from the console versions (in quality). With PSP, you often get pretty faithful ports of console games, so if you're a person who wants to pick up a Western-developed third-party handheld game (since you brought up Star Wars Battlefront)...which handheld version, out of DS or PSP, would you be inclined to choose? I don't know what 3rd party sales for DS look like though, but maybe that would be an indication...

Anyway, as I see it, until someone brings us numbers that really prove the PSP is seriously sinking its teeth into the PS2 marketshare, I think it's a bit hasty to make such claims. I'm sure the problem exists to some degree, but I'm not at all sure about how serious it is.

And about PS2 sales going, I think that could partly be because we're going through a generation switch.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
elostyle said:
I didn't say that it is not competing with the ds. I think it is competing more with the ps2, however. Concerning software sales that is.

bizzaro elostyle from another universe said:
The PSP is stealing Sony's own marketshare, not nintendo's.

So if Sony ISN'T stealing from Nintendo's marketshare, then how can it be competing with it? Your statment basically suggest that PSP is a non issue to Nintendo's handheld market and that PSP is only a threat to the PS2.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Its a forcast. Its an inflated amount (for stockholders to have a postive image). I honeslty think that Nintendo fans think that Sony comes out with these numbers to inflict personal emotional pain on them."

man, we need more people like you at our investment bank. have a gold star.
"So if Sony ISN'T stealing from Nintendo's marketshare, then how can it be competing with it?"

i've mentioned this before, but i'll repeat it. IGNORE the share for a moment : There is no real way to tell if the PSP is taking away from the usual nintendo purchasers. There is no stats that show that people are saying "well, not getting a DS this time, i'll get a PSP instead". It's _possible_ that the people who are buying the PSP are buying it either to go with their PS2 or DS or it's their first games/media player etc... we just don't know.

Now, the PSP has gained X million portable users for Sony, but i'm not sure you can simply split the numbers and say "Sony has eroded Nintendos market share!" - more sony have expanded the market to include more adults and have generated the sales. Would the DS have sold X million more if the PSP wasn't around? *shrug* again - NO ONE knows. Should Nintendo be panicing? probably not.

Pimpbaa

We got 3 great portable systems to choose from, at a variety of price ranges, and here we are arguing about sales and why one is selling over the other. Lets just be happy that there isn't just one successful portable with a monochrome green screen like it was many many years ago.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Monk said:
Man elostyle, if you are going to argue that the psp is not competing with the ds, you can claim that Nintendo is after the non gamer with the likes of brain training and nintendogs selling so well like i do. Or you can be a dickhead and claim that psp isn't even portable because of low battery life.
Man you are so right. Earlier today I was playing Lumines for about 6 hours straight. A measley six hours. Even though I could've played for a bit more, I shut it down because Sony makes really fragile hardware and I didn't want to drain the batteries completely. I mean, if this were a Nintendo product I'd be able to play for at least twelve hours.

BlueTsunami said:
:lol

Its a forcast. Its an inflated amount (for stockholders to have a postive image). I honeslty think that Nintendo fans think that Sony comes out with these numbers to inflict personal emotional pain on them.

Oh. Well ok..why didn't someone tell me this earlier?

btw dude why did you change your avatar? that thing was top notch jack off material for me[/p]

BlueTsunami

DCharlie said:
man, we need more people like you at our investment bank. have a gold star.

I don't know if thats sarcasm

;_;

But thats how I see any numbers come from any company personally and I don't see how people actually take it like its an actual forecast of something that is defintley going to happen. It can also be called "being optimistic in ones own product"

PhoenixDark said:
btw dude why did you change your avatar? that thing was top notch jack off material for me[/p]

I've started watching Berserk recently and I had to change my avatar to a picture of Guts (the main character). I'll end up changing it back to Elisa Cuthbert eventually (i've got more pics where my last avatar came from).

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
BlueTsunami said:
So if Sony ISN'T stealing from Nintendo's marketshare, then how can it be competing with it? Your statment basically suggest that PSP is a non issue to Nintendo's handheld market and that PSP is only a threat to the PS2.
I may have worded that badly due to lazyness. The point is that the PSP steals more software sales from the PS2 than the DS. I don't understand what's so weird about that thought.

BlueTsunami

elostyle said:
I may have worded that badly due to lazyness. The point is that the PSP steals more software sales from the PS2 than the DS.

How can PSP steal software sales from DS? *Scratches head

Were talking about hardware, hardware sales. My argument is that PSP steals hardware sales from Nintendo's handheld marketshare.

The only way PSP would steal software sales from DS (or vice versa) is if you had a person with a DS and PSP and was deciding on a game and went with DS games more often (or PSP game).

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
BlueTsunami said:
How can PSP steal software sales from DS? *Scratches head

Were talking about hardware, hardware sales. My argument is that PSP steals hardware sales from Nintendo's handheld marketshare.

The only way PSP would steal software sales from DS (or vice versa) is if you had a person with a DS and PSP and was deciding on a game and went with DS games more often.
Strictly talking about hardware, in a way it does and doesn't. As I said, Nintendo's hardware sales are up but obviously, when you had 95% plus relative marketshare, it can only go down from there.

The reason why I brought up the software sales was because I think that the PSP steals DS hardware sales, but PS2 and DS software sales. Looking at the gaming market as a whole I thought the value of the software sales to be higher.

DCharlie

"I don't know if thats sarcasm

;_;

But thats how I see any numbers come from any company personally and I don't see how people actually take it like its an actual forecast of something that is defintley going to happen. It can also be called "being optimistic in ones own product""

it's irresponsible for sony to deliberately inflate numbers in regards to sales projections IF this is being addressed to shareholders/the market. I don't believe any _official_ release has been made, so i don't think this is that sort of release but if they did make a strong statement like "we ARE going to sell 6 million units in the US , 3 million of which will be in Dec" then you'd generate increased interest in the stock, analysts may raise their expectations of the firm, and ultimately they could alter their stock price.

If you do that, and it's a crock, then it looks REAL bad when you suddenly fall short and can infact be illegal if you are simply outright lying (they are being MEGA optimistic here), but as you say it's nothing official - therefore, your statement about it being for the stockholders is off the mark.

If anything, it's a large number in order to deliberately overplay what a popular purchase they believe it to be (and they want you to think the same way). Nothing more , nothing less. I don't believe for a second that Sony believe this projection.

BlueTsunami

DCharlie said:
it's irresponsible for sony to deliberately inflate numbers in regards to sales projections IF this is being addressed to shareholders/the market. I don't believe any _official_ release has been made, so i don't think this is that sort of release but if they did make a strong statement like "we ARE going to sell 6 million units in the US , 3 million of which will be in Dec" then you'd generate increased interest in the stock, analysts may raise their expectations of the firm, and ultimately they could alter their stock price.

If you do that, and it's a crock, then it looks REAL bad when you suddenly fall short and can infact be illegal if you are simply outright lying (they are being MEGA optimistic here), but as you say it's nothing official - therefore, your statement about it being for the stockholders is off the mark.

Then if Sony corp finds that it can actually sell the said amount, then why is it being fought so hard and thought to be basically impossible (being able to move that many PSPs)? It is also a forcast (am I wrong that its a forcast?) So what would actually count as lying if your trying to actually GUESS (essentialy) at how many PSPs can be moved the Holiday season?

Note: I do agree that actually LYING (or slightly inflating) about units sold is irresponsible and wrong but i'm talking about the forcast aspect and trying to put a number to how many PSPs will be sold in the coming month or months.

Sony Computer Entertainment America President and Chief Executive Kaz Hirai told Reuters in October the company's goal is to double its install base by selling between 2.5 million and 3 million additional PSPs in North America by year end.

Just for reference of first year sales, GBA did 2.5 M units in Nov and Dec of 2001

Consoles did:

PS2 - 1.1M in Dec 2000 (2.9M in Nov and Dec 2001)

Xbox - 1.42M (Nov and Dec 2001)

GC - 1.24M (Nov and Dec 2001)

PSP sales in NORTH AMERICA are probably close to 4M by end of November. Doing 1.2M in U.S. and another 300K in Canada can put it close to that target. No?

DCharlie

"Then if Sony corp finds that it can actually sell the said amount, then why is it being fought so hard and thought to be basically impossible (being able to move that many PSPs)?"
we are talking about doubling the sales for the year in under a month, now i know that Xmas is a popular time, but i just don't see it. You also start with an "if" - you can't really question why it's being fought so hard when they haven't done it yet. IF they do it, i'd be VERY impressed indeed. Infact, i'll be impressed if they can add another 1 mill, let alone 3 in the holiday period.
"It is also a forcast (am I wrong that its a forcast?)"

it is a forcast - but so is pretty much anything! X360 to have 1 billion users etc etc...

"So what would actually count as lying if your trying to actually GUESS (essentialy) at how many PSPs can be moved the Holiday season?"

well, let me turn the question around a little, do you believe they are going to sell 3 million+ units in what is effectively 3 weeks shopping? 1 million units a week for 3 weeks, with the DS, GBA, PS2 and X360 (lol, if it turns up) to compete with.

It's not impossible by any stretch, it's just very unlikely. Does it not strike you as a little unrealistic?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
People dismiss it as PR talk, but I really wouldn't want to have to explain the difference to stock holders. This can have larger implications than "oh well, guess we were wrong" :)

Beowvlf

Banned
DCharlie said:
Quote for the win. Massively and unrealistically overinflating sales projections is a fantastic way to ensure your stock price takes a ridiculously detrimental hit when you inevitably have to report drastically lower earnings at quarter end.

Mega corps are idiotic very, very often, but few are that idiotic. There is more to this than meets the eye, I'd definitely be willing to bet on that.

BlueTsunami

DCharlie said:
It's not impossible by any stretch, it's just very unlikely. Does it not strike you as a little unrealistic?

Of course, which is why I called to the fact that it was probably inflated (or being optimistic). I honestly don't have a hold on the actual PSP vs DS sales from month to month and total up to this point in time (I could really care less in all honesty). I would also like to note that I don't know if Sony has the ability to move that many units over the holiday, in actuallity I wasn't even argueing that fact with elostyle (if the PSP can sell that amount at any point in time).

But my ultimate answer to that question is that I don't know if it can or cannot since I don't know about past numbers. The general consensus is that its next to impossible.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Heian-kyo said:
Quote for the win. Massively and unrealistically overinflating sales projections is a fantastic way to ensure your stock price takes a ridiculously detrimental hit when you inevitably have to report drastically lower earnings at quarter end.

Mega corps are idiotic very, very often, but few are that idiotic. There is more to this than meets the eye, I'd definitely be willing to bet on that.

They just have to spin and report their shipped amount, which was paid for and that's what they care about. If shipments are indeed at almost 5 million then I don't see why Sony couldn't ship an extra million in december and say forecasts were met.

Hero

I said this back before the PSP launched in NA and not that many people believed me.

I said it would sell during the initial launch period but it would start to slow down. After the holiday season the PSP is going to be hard pressed to get decent sales. The only thing that is going to help sell more systems is a significant (50 dollar) price drop or a blockbuster game. Seeing as how an original GTA came out and the PSP still isn't doing that great, I can't see what other game could possibly hope to do this.

As for the DS, it's going to be fine. They're going to continue this pace and when Pokemon hits it will bury the PSP. The inevitable 99.99 MSRP will further this.

Mark my words.

ziran

like many have said, i think the psp is the best thing to happen to the ds (and nintendo). nintendo's gone all out developing amazingly good games for the system, like mkds, it's the best version of the game because it had to be, so in the end consumers win. nintendo realised they had to be on top form to compete with sony.

DCharlie said:
...sony have expanded the market to include more adults and have generated the sales.
i agree. i think the psp has expanded the handheld market, like the ds, but in a different direction. i also think videogaming is becoming a more casual experience all round, even for the hardcore. the handheld/mobile gaming market has grown in a big way over the last year and home console game sales are down the world over.

elostyle said:
I think it is competing more with the ps2, however. Concerning software sales that is.
i also agree with elostyle. from a software sales perspective psp's biggest competition is the ps2. a large percentage of psp owners are ps2 owners, ps2 type games and sequels sell well on the system. i think psp owners are faced with what do i buy, a psp game or a ps2 game, so each systems game sales take a hit. this goes some way to explain the trends of what's selling on each system and why psp hardware has sold well in japan but its software hasn't.

edit - the reality is competitive hardware creates better games.

I just got back home (Texas) for the holidays to visit my family. On the plane and during my wait for connecting flight I played with my PSP and GTA quite a bit. I got several questions about my white PSP from people who passed by. Is the white PSP for sale in the US? What configurations is Sony selling currently in the US (Value Pack, Giga Pack, some other?)? Is there a media blitz for the Christmas season? Just curious what Sony's offering in the US in an attempt to reach their sales targets.

Striek

elostyle said:
PSP releases -> PS2 sales way down, Nintendo handheld sales way up.
Explain.
Thats like saying "DS releases, GC sales down!"
For one, PS2 hardware sales have hit 100M - the PSOne, current best selling console ever, only sold 102.5M. They're down? Could this not be due to the fact that this generation is winding down and at the current price point (holy fuck 1 1/2 years at $150) nearly everyone who wants one has one?
As for software, this year has been pretty flat, the PS2 still reigns king, and PSP is doing nicely (as is DS).

At least with GC, software sales are down more than a little.

As for handheld sales, PSP is definitely taking marketshare and sales from Nintendo, at least in software where PSP is outperforming in the US. Hardware sales, well, I'm pretty sure when the GBA released it had similar sales (together with the GB/C), so its no different there.

PSP is and will be fine.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Kevtones said:
Shit, I hope the PSP stays afloat, only to keep Nintendo off its ass and give us consistently awesome DS titles like it did for the last 6 months of 2005. Seriously, I've never had so many "definite buys" for any system ever occur in such a short period of time.

What, the barrage of third party titles? I think those games are more due to the fact that the DS just has a really big userbase now, and it's a system that's succeeding the previous one (despite what you guys or Nintendo think) that had a 70 million userbase.

However, you are partially corect, since Nintendo is DEVELOPING great games on the DS. I've said it before, I'm glad the PSP is here, since it's causing Nintendo to develop more AAA titles. A great Mario Kart game, that's ONLINE? Hell yes. A new Mario game, fucking finally! Would we have had that for the DS if the PSP never came out? I doubt it. We've had the GBA for 4-5 years, and Nintendo didn't even bother. The PSP scared Nintendo, and I Think Nintendo knew that they could relax a bit with the console segment, but no way in hell are they gonna give up their no. 1 spot in the handheld division.

And you know what? I hope the PSP sells even MORE. Then Nintendo will have to create an online DS SSB game. Otherwise, they might get too comfortable and lazy.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
ddksanrokumaru said:
I just got back home (Texas) for the holidays to visit my family. On the plane and during my wait for connecting flight I played with my PSP and GTA quite a bit. I got several questions about my white PSP from people who passed by. Is the white PSP for sale in the US? What configurations is Sony selling currently in the US (Value Pack, Giga Pack, some other?)? Is there a media blitz for the Christmas season? Just curious what Sony's offering in the US in an attempt to reach their sales targets.
They were just being polite.

Mook1e

Hero said:
I said this back before the PSP launched in NA and not that many people believed me.

I said it would sell during the initial launch period but it would start to slow down. After the holiday season the PSP is going to be hard pressed to get decent sales. The only thing that is going to help sell more systems is a significant (50 dollar) price drop or a blockbuster game. Seeing as how an original GTA came out and the PSP still isn't doing that great, I can't see what other game could possibly hope to do this.

As for the DS, it's going to be fine. They're going to continue this pace and when Pokemon hits it will bury the PSP. The inevitable 99.99 MSRP will further this.

Mark my words.
Has any system ever launched not slowed down after launch?
PSP won't be "fine" but DS will? This makes not sense. DS sales dropped off considerably after last Holiday season (almost to 1/10th the sales).
Both systems will see significant sales decreases.
Both systems will be "fine".

Hero

Mook1e said:
Has any system ever launched not slowed down after launch?
PSP won't be "fine" but DS will? This makes not sense. DS sales dropped off considerably after last Holiday season (almost to 1/10th the sales).
Both systems will see significant sales decreases.
Both systems will be "fine".

DS sales dropped off due to no games coming out. Starting with Kirby and really kicking off with Nintendogs, we can see a trend that the DS is beginning to sell more and more. I don't think anybody is going to argue that the DS postlaunch game drought was horrible. Now games are actually coming out for it that people want to buy. What games are going to entice people to buy a PSP? It already got games from established PS2 franchises like Ridge Racer, Hot Shots Golf, Dynasty Warriors, and even a GTA for the western region. None of these has had a similar impact that games like Nintendogs or Animal Crossing has had for the DS. Please tell me another franchise that will support the PSP for the 2006 year. Valkyrie Profile will probably sell decent in Japan, and I'm sure Gran Turismo will do well, but what else is left? Maybe that Final Fantasy game, if it ever comes out, but I wouldn't count on it since it's not supposed to be an RPG.

Both systems will see a sales decrease after the holidays, but at least the DS is going to have games to help it sell. People will buy a DS for Pokemon Pearl/Diamond, this is a proven fact. Besides that, you have a new Super Mario Bros, and if Nintendo is anything at all competent, they'll have a Super Smash Bros. DS with WFC in the works.

I'm not saying the PSP is going to flatline completely, but based upon what we know now, I don't see any upcoming games stirring up sales for the PSP.

ioi

Banned
elostyle said:

I completely agree.

On a worldwide basis, PSP sales haven't taken away from Nintendo handheld sales one little bit. This will be Nintendo's best year ever for handheld sales and if anything the PSP is eating into PS2 sales just as elostyle has said...

ioi

Banned
Amused_To_Death said:
Just for reference of first year sales, GBA did 2.5 M units in Nov and Dec of 2001

Consoles did:

PS2 - 1.1M in Dec 2000 (2.9M in Nov and Dec 2001)

Xbox - 1.42M (Nov and Dec 2001)

GC - 1.24M (Nov and Dec 2001)

PSP sales in NORTH AMERICA are probably close to 4M by end of November. Doing 1.2M in U.S. and another 300K in Canada can put it close to that target. No?

ok, ok. PSP has sold around 2.5 million in the USA and 700k in Canada- 3.2 million in North America. It will do well to do another million in Canada and USA combined in December- call it 4.5 million TOPS. I certainly don't think PSP will do 3 million in December and double total sales as they have predicted.

We all know it's only PR bullshit but it's wrong to do it. Sony have always enormously inflated their "sales" numbers (shipments) and whatever people say it does impact on shareholders, retailers and so forth because they spin the situation to show that PSP is comfortably outselling DS when I don't actually think there is a single region in the world at the moment where this is true...

Mook1e

Hero said:
DS sales dropped off due to no games coming out. Starting with Kirby and really kicking off with Nintendogs, we can see a trend that the DS is beginning to sell more and more. I don't think anybody is going to argue that the DS postlaunch game drought was horrible. Now games are actually coming out for it that people want to buy. What games are going to entice people to buy a PSP? It already got games from established PS2 franchises like Ridge Racer, Hot Shots Golf, Dynasty Warriors, and even a GTA for the western region. None of these has had a similar impact that games like Nintendogs or Animal Crossing has had for the DS. Please tell me another franchise that will support the PSP for the 2006 year. Valkyrie Profile will probably sell decent in Japan, and I'm sure Gran Turismo will do well, but what else is left? Maybe that Final Fantasy game, if it ever comes out, but I wouldn't count on it since it's not supposed to be an RPG.

Both systems will see a sales decrease after the holidays, but at least the DS is going to have games to help it sell. People will buy a DS for Pokemon Pearl/Diamond, this is a proven fact. Besides that, you have a new Super Mario Bros, and if Nintendo is anything at all competent, they'll have a Super Smash Bros. DS with WFC in the works.

I'm not saying the PSP is going to flatline completely, but based upon what we know now, I don't see any upcoming games stirring up sales for the PSP.
Kirby had 0 impact on DS sales.
DS sales only started to pickup shortly when they had the Mario 64 bundles leading up to Nintendogs and the price drop.
DS sales were crap in NA and Europe before Nintendogs came. Nintendogs and Mario Kart are the system sellers for DS at this time.
There are still no big system sellers for the PSP and the sales have been consistent since launch. PSP has still not dipped below 100,000 systems sold in a month in North America despite having no killer apps and the short games drought. If anything, history has shown that PSP will be the system more likely to maintain steady sales after the holidays since DS' only sales spikes since launch have been due to the dogs and Mario Kart.
PSP also has plenty of games coming in the months following the Holidays leading up to E3.
The PSP may not have a single killer app, but the variety and depth of it's software lineup is what will keep it selling. (as well as help from it's multifunctions and UMD movies) We also haven't heard much about Devil May Cry, Splinter Cell, or GTMobile. Also Metal Gear Acid 2, Ys, Pursuit Force, Untold Legends 2, Daxter, Field Commander, Tomb Raider, Loco Roco, Katamari and others.
It's a combination of all of these games and more that will keep the PSP selling in addition to who-knows-what functionality in firmware updates to come.
Both systems will be fine. Yeah...

Hero

Mook1e said:
Kirby had 0 impact on DS sales.
DS sales only started to pickup shortly when they had the Mario 64 bundles leading up to Nintendogs and the price drop.
DS sales were crap in NA and Europe before Nintendogs came. Nintendogs and Mario Kart are the system sellers for DS at this time.
There are still no big system sellers for the PSP and the sales have been consistent since launch. PSP has still not dipped below 100,000 systems sold in a month in North America despite having no killer apps and the short games drought. If anything, history has shown that PSP will be the system more likely to maintain steady sales after the holidays since DS' only sales spikes since launch have been due to the dogs and Mario Kart.
PSP also has plenty of games coming in the months following the Holidays leading up to E3.
The PSP may not have a single killer app, but the variety and depth of it's software lineup is what will keep it selling. (as well as help from it's multifunctions and UMD movies) We also haven't heard much about Devil May Cry, Splinter Cell, or GTMobile. Also Metal Gear Acid 2, Ys, Pursuit Force, Untold Legends 2, Daxter, Field Commander, Tomb Raider, Loco Roco, Katamari and others.
It's a combination of all of these games and more that will keep the PSP selling in addition to who-knows-what functionality in firmware updates to come.
Both systems will be fine. Yeah...

I was talking about Kirby in Japan, in which it also came out on the same day as new colors for the DS.

You're not even taking into consideration Animal Crossing, which is doing better than any other DS title in Japan and should have good sales here as well. The DS is getting more and more good games finally and sales are speaking for itself.

The PSP is mostly selling off of the multimedia function in Japan based on the software ratio, and we'll see how the PSP does here in NA after the holidays.

Metal Gear Acid 2? Are you kidding me? The first one didn't sell well, why will this one?
Ys, Pursuit Force, Field Commander, Loco Roco, and Katamari are all non-variables. Untold Legends 2 will probably fare as well as the first one did, but I hav this feeling that Daxter will suffer the same fate as previous PS2 franchises have done on PSP. Tomb Raider will have to be nothing short of amazing since that franchise has been run into the ground over the years.

I'm not saying that the PSP is going to stop selling or be pulled from shelves, but Sony has released most of the blockbuster franchises and none of them have had an impact like their console counterparts have. That's the source of the problem, as Sony still hasn't found a title that's suitable for a handheld ala Pokemon, Nintendogs, Brain Training. They (Sony and Developers) are treating the PSP like a portable PS2 by putting PS2 like games on it and expecting it to sell as well when the userbase is so far off it's not even funny.

The fact that DS games cost less to make and developers are going to see their efforts and money go to waste on the PSP will begin to show halfway of the 2006 year. Unless some unknown PSP game suddenly pulls a Goldeneye/Halo/GTAIII/Nintendogs, the handheld war is over.

ioi

Banned
Hero said:
I'm not saying that the PSP is going to stop selling or be pulled from shelves, but Sony has released most of the blockbuster franchises and none of them have had an impact like their console counterparts have. That's the source of the problem, as Sony still hasn't found a title that's suitable for a handheld ala Pokemon, Nintendogs, Brain Training. They (Sony and Developers) are treating the PSP like a portable PS2 by putting PS2 like games on it and expecting it to sell as well when the userbase is so far off it's not even funny.

The fact that DS games cost less to make and developers are going to see their efforts and money go to waste on the PSP will begin to show halfway of the 2006 year. Unless some unknown PSP game suddenly pulls a Goldeneye/Halo/GTAIII/Nintendogs, the handheld war is over.

IAWTP

Mook1e

Hero said:
I was talking about Kirby in Japan, in which it also came out on the same day as new colors for the DS.

You're not even taking into consideration Animal Crossing, which is doing better than any other DS title in Japan and should have good sales here as well. The DS is getting more and more good games finally and sales are speaking for itself.

The PSP is mostly selling off of the multimedia function in Japan based on the software ratio, and we'll see how the PSP does here in NA after the holidays.

Metal Gear Acid 2? Are you kidding me? The first one didn't sell well, why will this one?
Ys, Pursuit Force, Field Commander, Loco Roco, and Katamari are all non-variables. Untold Legends 2 will probably fare as well as the first one did, but I hav this feeling that Daxter will suffer the same fate as previous PS2 franchises have done on PSP. Tomb Raider will have to be nothing short of amazing since that franchise has been run into the ground over the years.

First, we're talking about North American Sales.
Even so, Kirby had little affect on Japanese sales of DS.
DS didn't have a large game drought in Japan. It also didn't have significant sales drops like in North America and Europe.
PSP is selling because of software here, based off the tie-ratio. It'll continue to sell based on the software in the future.
We're talking sales here. The games i mentioned will SELL.
Why would I be kidding about Metal Gear Acid? It's the 7th highest selling title on PSP to date in NA.
Ys, Pursuit Force, Field Commander, Loco Roco, and Katamari are all good-great games that will help show that PSP has a varied game library, which will motivate people to buy PSP just as the previous library did.
Untold Legends 2, Daxter, and Tomb Raider will all sell well despite their quality (or lack of)
NFS is the highest selling PSP game and is by far NOT the best quality title.
Third party developers on the whole are not making money off the DS like Nintendo is. Do you think they'll continue to support it if that trend continues? Particularly western developers.
The PSP isn't like previous portables. This will create growing pains for developers, but they are getting the hang of making titles for the unit.
Developers are seeing plenty of return on their investements already with PSP software. Particularly third party developers.
Saying the handheld wars are over is premature and extremely fanboyish.
Sony has obviously expanded the handheld games market as well and Nintendo.
It can honestly be said that the PSP and DS will easily both survive and flourish in their market(s).

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Mook1e said:
Even so, Kirby had little affect on Japanese sales of DS.
DS didn't have a large game drought in Japan. It also didn't have significant sales drops like in North America and Europe.
JPHandHeldWar3.jpg

Kirby was the beginning of when the tide turned, even though the DS hit it's low point in between its and Nintendog's release.

The drought was not as long in Japan but it was definately there. That said, it looks like the PSP had a drought before the release of WE9 as well.

(Thanks culex for the chart)

pixelbox

People are bitter because of what sony has done to nintendo with playstation. Sony didnt do it, nintendo did with their crappy tech in their system. When will people learn nintendo craps on fans with horrible tech and high prices. ds is worth 130. nor was gba. and yet idiots buy it knowing they paid too much raving ds is teh good! psp will sell regardless because if it doesn't sell games it will as a portable movie player and mp3 player. ds can't live off of animal crossing and nintendog forever and pokemon isnt what it was.

Mook1e

elostyle said:
JPHandHeldWar3.jpg

Kirby was the beginning of when the tide turned, even though the DS hit it's low point in between its and Nintendog's release.

The drought was not as long in Japan but it was definately there. That said, it looks like the PSP had a drought before the release of WE9 as well.

(Thanks culex for the chart)
Selling over 100,000 systems in a month isn't a significant sales drop.
DS sold well under 100,000 systems a month from January to July in the USA.
That's what i was talking about.

LM4sure

Banned
pixelbox said:
People are bitter because of what sony has done to nintendo with playstation. Sony didnt do it, nintendo did with their crappy tech in their system. When will people learn nintendo craps on fans with horrible tech and high prices. ds is worth 130. nor was gba. and yet idiots buy it knowing they paid too much raving ds is teh good! psp will sell regardless because if it doesn't sell games it will as a portable movie player and mp3 player. ds can't live off of animal crossing and nintendog forever and pokemon isnt what it was.

that is some phenomenal damage control. congrats, buddy!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
LM4sure said:

That's less about damage control than it is about lashing out in frustration.

Mook1e said:
There are still no big system sellers for the PSP

What...? PSP has a GTA game and you say it hasn't got a system seller!? Sorry, but are you crazy or sth. like that?

and the sales have been consistent since launch.

Ok, now that's not only BS, but it's in fact HUGE BS.

Average PSP hardware sales per week:

April: 87,750
May: 62,500
Juni: 58,800
July: 50,500
August: 41,750
September: 29,200
October: 33,000
November: 88358,50

It's not THAT hard to see that sales declined every month from April till September (and then picked up a bit in October as afaik sales overall pick up a bit in Oct. and of course cause of GTA).

pixelbox

LM4sure said:

No, i work in retail and mostly mothers buy it for their kids just because it's cheap, not because it's a better system which it isn't. they just want to shut their kids up for cheap. they dont know what the hell it is. They see a dog on a box and be like "oh that's cute, lisa will love it". yall nintendo lovers need to get over it because it's sad and your age is showing. enjoy your gifts from your parents for now, 13 yr olds. this wont last long. mark the words.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Frankfurter said:
What...? PSP has a GTA game and you say it hasn't got a system seller!? Sorry, but are you crazy or sth. like that?
As unexpected as it was, it didn't really move systems.
No, i work in retail and mostly mothers buy it for their kids just because it's cheap, not because it's a better system which it isn't. they just want to shut their kids up for cheap. they dont know what the hell it is. They see a dog on a box and be like "oh that's cute, lisa will love it". yall nintendo lovers need to get over it because it's sad and your age is showing. enjoy your gifts from your parents for now, 13 yr olds. this wont last long. mark the words.
wth

LM4sure

Banned
pixelbox said:

it sounds like tears are falling into your keyboard as you typed that. :lol

pixelbox

Gahiggidy said:
That's less about damage control than it is about lashing out in frustration.
I was just caught up in all the hate. What is frustating is the rabid nintendo fans posting everytime they see a psp thread.

Gahiggidy

pixelbox said:
Can we keep him, mods? Please?

Top Bottom