• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Pineconn

Don't forget to hit that report button. Saw someone with a MAGA post today. Don't need that!

Yeah, political message X is bad, but political message Y is good!

I don't want any of this trash in my game. I want to see flight vs invisibility or some overused meme, not politics. Get that out of my innocent games.

MGrant

Let's talk about short-range, ink-coverage focused shooters with some offensive splatting capability. This morning I decided to look at the question, "Should I use my Aerospray as an offense weapon?"

I see a lot of Aero players going for that sweet flank or trying to push into defenders or kill other short-range painters head-on, and my gut was telling me that this was almost always inadvisable as a solo move. But let's compare it to two similar weapons that can paint and splat, the Splattershot, Jr. and the Splash-o-matic. Just for fun, we'll also compare it to the Sploosh-o-matic, which is more of a pure ink-coverage weapon, for reasons that will become clear in a second. We'll use the minimum number of shots it takes to splat an enemy, since we're focusing on offense here, rather than painting speed.

Code:
[img]https://abload.de/img/splataeroagy54.png[/img]

No question about it: the Aerospray makes a big fucking mess and is a great ink-coverage weapon. With its special, it can also help your teammates push into enemy territory. But should it be used to flank or kill defenders? Let's take a look at the ranges for these weapons.

Code:
[img]https://abload.de/img/splataerorangez4xfd.png[/img]

We see that the Aerospray, Junior, and Splash-o-matic all have the same max range at about 2.25 lines, at which range they will require an extra shot to kill. A note that the Splash-o-matic does have damage fall-off and requires an extra shot, too, but its accuracy makes the whole range effectively usable to splat.

On the Aerospray, though, you'll notice a red area I call the No-Hit Zone. In this range, it only requires 5 shots to splat, but it's a total gamble whether or not your shots will actually land. So, rather than having the optimal range of 2.1 lines or so that the Junior has, the Aero really doesn't start to consistently land its shots until the target is within 1.5 lines. Which you'll notice is the same optimal range as the Sploosh-o-matic, which has a max range of about 1.6 lines. Let's look at some TTK numbers:

Aerospray MG:
Max Range: 1.86 seconds average TTK
No-Hit Zone: 1.32 seconds average TTK
Optimal Range: 0.62 seconds average TTK

Splattershot, Jr.
Max Range: 0.88 seconds average TTK
Optimal Range: 0.7 seconds average TTK

Splash-o-matic
5-shot range: 0.66 seconds average TTK
4-shot range: 0.5 seconds average TTK

Sploosh-o-matic
Max Range: 0.66 seconds average TTK
Optimal Range: 0.52 seconds average TTK

So, should you be using the Aerospray as an offensive splatting weapon? Probably not. The Aerospray is best used as a pure ink-coverage weapon to cover up undefended enemy ink. Not only will other ink-coverage shooters like the Splattershot Jr. and the Splash-o-matic outrange you long before you get within your optimal range, but every legit offense and defense weapon will, as well. And you'll trade with the Sploosh-o-matic, which kills just about as fast at its max range, which is slightly longer than your optimal range. This is not to even mention other close-range threats like the Carbon Roller, Tri-Slosher, or the Octobrush.

My advice is, if you want an offensive painting weapon that can push into enemy territory and reliably take down enemy inkers, go with the OG/Tentatek Splattershot or the N-Zap, or possibly the Splattershot, Jr. or Splash-o-matic, though these two are really ink-coverage weapons that can fill in for an offense weapon if they absolutely have to.

If you enjoyed this analysis, please check out Doorman's excellent post on blasters, which inspired me to do these tests, and also my post analyzing the well-rounded shooters.

Next time we'll look at buckets and the question, "Is the Tri-Slosher really better than the regular Slosher?" The answer may surprise you. (No it won't: the answer is Yes.)

Mutant

What kind of weapons are you interested in? Let me know and I'll give you a list of ideal abilities and some playstyle tips too if you want.

I like to dual wield close range and sometimes go long range with the Squeltcher.

Also how do big abilities/small abilities work and how depreciation work? Are the big and small icons worth different points and the "deprecation" is at a certain point treshhold?

Let's talk about short-range, ink-coverage focused shooters with some offensive splatting capability. This morning I decided to look at the question, "Should I use my Aerospray as an offense weapon?"

I see a lot of Aero players going for that sweet flank or trying to push into defenders or kill other short-range painters, and my gut was telling me that this was almost always inadvisable as a solo move. But let's compare it to two similar weapons that can paint and splat, the Splattershot, Jr. and the Splash-o-matic. Just for fun, we'll also compare it to the Sploosh-o-matic, which is more of a pure ink-coverage weapon, for reasons that will become clear in a second. We'll use the minimum number of shots it takes to splat an enemy, since we're focusing on offense here, rather than painting speed.

Code:

No question about it: the Aerospray makes a big fucking mess and is a great painting weapon. With its special, it can also help your teammates push into enemy territory. But should it be used to flank or kill defenders? Let's take a look at the ranges for these weapons.

Code:

We see that the Aerospray, Junior, and Splash-o-matic all have the same max range at about 2.25 lines, at which range they will require an extra shot to kill. A note that the Splash-o-matic does have damage fall-off and requires an extra shot, too, but its accuracy makes the whole range effectively usable to splat.

On the aerospray, though, you'll notice a red area I call the No-Hit Zone. In this range, it only requires 5 shots to splat, but it's a total gamble whether or not your shots will actually land. So, rather than having the optimal range of 2.1 lines or so that the Junior has, the Aero really doesn't start to consistently land its shots until the target is within 1.5 lines. Which you'll notice is the same optimal range as the Sploosh-o-matic, which has a max range of about 1.6 lines. Let's look at some TTK numbers:

Aerospray MG:

Splattershot, Jr.

Splash-o-matic

Sploosh-o-matic

So, should you be using the Aerospray as an offensive splatting weapon? Probably not. The Aerospray is best used as a pure ink-coverage weapon to cover up undefended enemy ink. Not only will other ink-coverage shooters like the Splattershot Jr. and the Splash-o-matic outrange you long before you get within your optimal range, but every legit offense and defense weapon will, as well. And you'll trade with the Sploosh-o-matic, which actually kills faster at its max range, which is slightly longer than your optimal range. This is not to even mention other close range threats like the Carbon Roller or the Octobrush.

My advice is, if you want an offensive painting weapon that can push into enemy territory and reliably take down enemy inkers, go with the OG/Tentatek Splattershot or the N-Zap, or possibly the Splattershot, Jr. or Splash-o-matic, though these two are really ink-coverage weapons that can fill in for an offense weapon if they absolutely have to.

If you enjoyed this analysis, please check out Doorman's excellent post on blasters, which inspired me to do these tests, and also my post analyzing the well-rounded shooters.

Next time we'll look at buckets and the question, "Is the Tri-Slosher really better than the regular Slosher?" The answer may surprise you. (No it won't; the answer is Yes.)

Wow. That is a great analysis.

Heng

What are some good abilities for N-Zap and Tenatek Splappershot
For those, run speed up, ink resistance, swim speed up, and special charge up. It depends on how you want to play them, for aggressive, rush down playstyle; RSU, SSU, and ink resistance.

I like to dual wield close range and sometimes go long range with the Squeltcher.
Same thing above but maybe not special charge up. You could also run with things like squid ninja and stealth jump, it's totally up to you.

Big abilities are worth about 3 small ones. It's easier to picture by assigning arbitrary number value to them; big ones are worth 10 points and small ones are worth 3.

There are diminishing returns so it may not be great to stack so many of them.

Grakl

I see a lot of Aero players going for that sweet flank or trying to push into defenders or kill other short-range painters head-on, and my gut was telling me that this was almost always inadvisable as a solo move. But let's compare it to two similar weapons that can paint and splat, the Splattershot, Jr. and the Splash-o-matic. Just for fun, we'll also compare it to the Sploosh-o-matic, which is more of a pure ink-coverage weapon, for reasons that will become clear in a second. We'll use the minimum number of shots it takes to splat an enemy, since we're focusing on offense here, rather than painting speed.

Code:

No question about it: the Aerospray makes a big fucking mess and is a great painting weapon. With its special, it can also help your teammates push into enemy territory. But should it be used to flank or kill defenders? Let's take a look at the ranges for these weapons.

Code:

On the Aerospray, though, you'll notice a red area I call the No-Hit Zone. In this range, it only requires 5 shots to splat, but it's a total gamble whether or not your shots will actually land. So, rather than having the optimal range of 2.1 lines or so that the Junior has, the Aero really doesn't start to consistently land its shots until the target is within 1.5 lines. Which you'll notice is the same optimal range as the Sploosh-o-matic, which has a max range of about 1.6 lines. Let's look at some TTK numbers:

Aerospray MG:

Splattershot, Jr.

Splash-o-matic

Sploosh-o-matic

So, should you be using the Aerospray as an offensive splatting weapon? Probably not. The Aerospray is best used as a pure ink-coverage weapon to cover up undefended enemy ink. Not only will other ink-coverage shooters like the Splattershot Jr. and the Splash-o-matic outrange you long before you get within your optimal range, but every legit offense and defense weapon will, as well. And you'll trade with the Sploosh-o-matic, which actually kills faster at its max range, which is slightly longer than your optimal range. This is not to even mention other close range threats like the Carbon Roller or the Octobrush.

Next time we'll look at buckets and the question, "Is the Tri-Slosher really better than the regular Slosher?" The answer may surprise you. (No it won't: the answer is Yes.)
So you're telling me aerospray is OP

Mutant

For those, run speed up, ink resistance, swim speed up, and special charge up. It depends on how you want to play them, for aggressive, rush down playstyle; RSU, SSU, and ink resistance.

Same thing above but maybe not special charge up. You could also run with things like squid ninja and stealth jump, it's totally up to you.

Big abilities are worth about 3 small ones. It's easier to picture by assigning arbitrary number value to them; big ones are worth 10 points and small ones are worth 3.

There are diminishing returns so it may not be great to stack so many of them.

But at what point does the diminishing returns significantly impact the abilities?

edit: so is ink saver (primary) overrated then? with what weapons does it become good?

J@hranimo

Banned

Code:

No question about it: the Aerospray makes a big fucking mess and is a great ink-coverage weapon. With its special, it can also help your teammates push into enemy territory. But should it be used to flank or kill defenders? Let's take a look at the ranges for these weapons.

Code:

Aerospray MG:

Splattershot, Jr.

Splash-o-matic

Sploosh-o-matic

So, should you be using the Aerospray as an offensive splatting weapon? Probably not. The Aerospray is best used as a pure ink-coverage weapon to cover up undefended enemy ink. Not only will other ink-coverage shooters like the Splattershot Jr. and the Splash-o-matic outrange you long before you get within your optimal range, but every legit offense and defense weapon will, as well. And you'll trade with the Sploosh-o-matic, which actually kills faster at its max range, which is slightly longer than your optimal range. This is not to even mention other close-range threats like the Carbon Roller, Tri-Slosher, or the Octobrush.

Nice post! Gonna quote for more exposure.

Ogodei

What are some good role based builds then?

You really just need to think about what you want to be able to do. Do you want to start strong in a Ranked match? Get to the objective faster than others for that often-critical first wave? Opening gambit. Want to make the final push at the very end? Last-ditch effort.

Want to hunt people down? Thermal ink. Need some more oomph for your special? Special power up. Use a weapon that consumes a lot of ink? Ink saver main or ink refill up.

Close firefighter who dies a lot? Quick respawn.

Stealth Jump or Jump-Roll is almost always useful in ranked, get back into a fight without the enemy knowing you're coming (or at least being able to get the drop on them).

MJlEOC0.jpg

Hit A tonight in tower control and had the shine on my splattershot pro. Today was a good day lol

Jims

Anyone try out the Squiffer tonight? What'd you think about it? I feel like with the new charge-hold mechanic, you could do some insane trick shots with it. Squiffer was always kind of a hype weapon to watch, it might be even more exciting in this game.

Great write-up MGrant! It's such a shame the weapon's RNG is so all-over-the-place. I remember when they came out with the PG variation in the original Splatoon and gave it one of the best possible kits they could, and it still was limited in its appeal. At least they gave it a decent kit so far in this game.

The annoying thing is that regular Slosher can beat Tri-Slosher in a duel, but it takes so long and you might have to back up and readjust so much that it's not worth it.

Hoping that when they give the longer-ranged shooters and blasters better kits (maybe things with, y'know, actual bombs?), the Tri-Slosher will be less obnoxious to deal with.

Code:

Code:

Aerospray MG:

Splattershot, Jr.

Splash-o-matic

Sploosh-o-matic

So, should you be using the Aerospray as an offensive splatting weapon? Probably not. The Aerospray is best used as a pure ink-coverage weapon to cover up undefended enemy ink. Not only will other ink-coverage shooters like the Splattershot Jr. and the Splash-o-matic outrange you long before you get within your optimal range, but every legit offense and defense weapon will, as well. And you'll trade with the Sploosh-o-matic, which kills just about as fast at its max range, which is slightly longer than your optimal range. This is not to even mention other close-range threats like the Carbon Roller, Tri-Slosher, or the Octobrush.

Great analysis. I agree, I think the aerospray is a decent weapon in turf wars depending on the map and is a great weapon to beginners who don't have as big of a selection of weapons to choose from. It's controls are also rather easy to pick up.

Mutant

You really just need to think about what you want to be able to do. Do you want to start strong in a Ranked match? Get to the objective faster than others for that often-critical first wave? Opening gambit. Want to make the final push at the very end? Last-ditch effort.

Want to hunt people down? Thermal ink. Need some more oomph for your special? Special power up. Use a weapon that consumes a lot of ink? Ink saver main or ink refill up.

Close firefighter who dies a lot? Quick respawn.

Stealth Jump or Jump-Roll is almost always useful in ranked, get back into a fight without the enemy knowing you're coming (or at least being able to get the drop on them).
Alright but what are the all around best abilities to start with and what to avoid? I mean, "do whatever you need" doesn't pertain to cold-blooded I'm guessing.

random25

So I just had a teammate in turf wars that only scored 37p. Damn it.

Follow up: he moved on the opposing team next round, and I see the reason why he scored so low: he just walks straight to enemy spawn without doing anything lol.

leroidys

FML I just had a sliver of bar left to get to A+, then lost 5 in a row and lost a whole bar. The last one said "not going to change rank since players not present" or whatever, but then it drained my entire bar anyway.

I had a game today where a player from the other team disconnected and the remaining players started to "dance" in the middle of humpback. It was pretty funny.

So I just had a teammate in turf wars that only scored 37p. Damn it.

How can someone do that? Maybe he was trolling?

Alright but what are the all around best abilities to start with and what to avoid? I mean, "do whatever you need" doesn't pertain to cold-blooded I'm guessing.

Swim speed up, Ink Resistance and Ink Saver Main are solid abilities that you will benefit from in almost every mode.

Later on you can focus on mode specific ones (I throw a TON of bombs in Tower control, so I'm working towards a bomb specific set), but the ones I previously mentioned are solid choices.

random25

I had a game today where a player from the other team disconnected and the remaining players started to "dance" in the middle of humpback. It was pretty funny.

How can someone do that? Maybe he was trolling?

Yep he was trolling. Good thing he booted himself ot after 2 games.

ryechu

Anyone try out the Squiffer tonight? What'd you think about it? I feel like with the new charge-hold mechanic, you could do some insane trick shots with it. Squiffer was always kind of a hype weapon to watch, it might be even more exciting in this game.

Great write-up MGrant! It's such a shame the weapon's RNG is so all-over-the-place. I remember when they came out with the PG variation in the original Splatoon and gave it one of the best possible kits they could, and it still was limited in its appeal. At least they gave it a decent kit so far in this game.

The annoying thing is that regular Slosher can beat Tri-Slosher in a duel, but it takes so long and you might have to back up and readjust so much that it's not worth it.

Hoping that when they give the longer-ranged shooters and blasters better kits (maybe things with, y'know, actual bombs?), the Tri-Slosher will be less obnoxious to deal with.

Squiffer is awesome. The map design is more compact and suits the squiffers range, and it seems to have a shorter start up lag on its charge hold shots. Only thing i need to start getting used to is the fact that I glow.

ChrisD

Pump Track Rainmaker moved from my second most hated (OG Moray Tower Control was my top) to the utter worst. Solos and duos.

Nobody lets you grab fish
Nobody lets the team clear the path out
Ironically, nobody ever SHOOTS WITH THE RAINMAKER on a stage it would actually help a ton
Nobody
Nobody
Nobody

Takes the side path
And because nobody takes the side path, it's never inked

The games are decided by who got Rainmaker first followed immediately by which team has more people that know about the side path.

Though this was the same group of people I saw not take the Inkrails on Moray Rainmaker, so I guess there was no hope anyways. That's one that just infuriates me to see from either team. Like, the enemies walking the Rainmaker seriously makes me annoyed to the point of anger because there are all these freaking inkrails that lead right to the goal. RIGHT. TO IT. And they walk it. They freaking

Walk
It

My team/their teammates without RM don't ink the rails for the carrier.

I just.
I can't handle certain levels of stupidity. And people not seeing the things right in front of their face is that point of stupidity.

"A path right to the finish line???? Hmmm must be a trap, a-walkin' I go!"

I'm posting this big rant after a win on Moray where the enemies walked the RM pretty much up to our base, but we wiped them and I just Inkrailed right to a greater distance. It still frustrated me. They were all busy defending (and all but one teammate...) attacking wall.

Edit:

"2GENDERSF*G"

Well, that's my first Splatoon 2 report....

Cartho

Moray tower control was winding me up yesterday. It just feels like total ass and whoever won the first engagement won the match 8 games out of 10 that I played.

Blackie

Huh that was weird! Just had a match where both teams refused to fight and kept dancing in a group. Started superjumping into each other a bunch too. Squid party? Ended up winning 21.5% to 20.4%...

ChrisD

Huh that was weird! Just had a match where both teams refused to fight and kept dancing in a group. Started superjumping into each other a bunch too. Squid party? Ended up winning 21.5% to 20.4%...
That's a Squid Party, yes.
I don't get the joy in ZLing with random people for two and a half minutes, but it's a thing

Heng

But at what point does the diminishing returns significantly impact the abilities?

edit: so is ink saver (primary) overrated then? with what weapons does it become good?
Not too sure about the diminishing values tbh, but for ink saver main; it's great for blasters, rollers, brella, and any other weapon which requires a lot of ink. With 9 points of ISM, a roller can get off one extra swing before running out of ink but in order to get 2 extra swing, you'll need 19 points of ISM. For shooters though, ISM is generally not that great.

The main abilities you may want is ink resistance, swim speed, and run speed. The amount you need will depend on you, experiment with certain amount and see what you're having trouble with. If you find yourself too slow, get more swim speed. If you are moving too slow in 1v1 situations, get either ink resistance or run speed.

Sub proficiency is pretty useless for a lot of weapon since it mostly just increase your range on your subs. It is handy for curling bombs though, but I'm not sure if any weapon would use this over a different ability. Another one that doesn't get used a lot is special proficiency since there are a lot of other abilities you could put on instead.

There are niche abilities as well. Object shredder is great for destroying RM shield, ballers, and ink wall. Do you need it? Depends if you want to destroy those things faster or not. Bomb defense? Depends if you find yourself getting hit with bombs enough times to use it.

Pikma

Banned
What are some good abilities for N-Zap and Tenatek Splappershot
Those two are probably the two most versatile weapons right now in terms of what abilities you can use with them but to make it simpler I'd say there are two clear paths, you can either go with a high mobility build, which would consist of Run Speed Up, Swim Speed up and Ink Resistance Up, or a sub weapon focused build, which would consist mainly of Ink Saver (Sub), Ink Recovery Up and even Ink Saver (Main), you could also use a Special Charge Up to compensate the bigger focus on subs instead of inking stuff all the time.

The high mobility build leans more towards an agressive playstyle rather than passive, it's all about outplaying and outmaneuvering your opponent in close range, it's made so you can act and react faster, not only when attacking but also when escaping from dangerous situations, I personally find these very useful when someone has the range advantage over me so my only viable choice is to flank him/her which is something that'll happen very often when using these weapons. The combination of said abilities is up to you and depends on your gear, if you don't think you have good enough gear you can try all three of them at the same time or maybe stack up on one ability (2 swim speed ups and one run speed up for example).

Now, the other build is more suited for a more passive playstyle and even though it is useful maybe it's more focused on ranked modes than turf war. Both the N-Zap and the Tentatek Splattershot have really good sub weapons, which allows you to kind of exploit them in order to pressure your enemy into directions they don't want to (like dropping of the tower or making the RM holder back off) and also allows you to buy time in certain situations where you need it (like when protecting a splat zone). These playstyle is more focused on waiting on the back, observing and making use of your sub weapons to, again, preassure them into either backing off or getting closer to you where you can have the range advantage for example.

Also how do big abilities/small abilities work and how depreciation work? Are the big and small icons worth different points and the "deprecation" is at a certain point treshhold?
Since Dual wields are weapons that are already focused on mobility you might as well make that advantage stronger, swim speed up, run speed up and ink resistance up. Splat dualies also have burst bombs so using something like ink recovery up and any kind of ink saver could also benifit a lot. Mastering the use of burst bombs is tricky but if you can manage to do it, you'll have a big advantage since it's one of the most exploitable sub weapons, they're ridiculously versatile and can be incredibly deadly. Dapple Dualies on the other hand have an incredibly useful special when used right so having a build focused on it wouldn't be a bad idea, I'm talking about Special Saver Up, Special Charge Up and Tenacity.

The strength of the Squelcher is it's range and if you make the right decisions in terms of positioning you shouldn't be needing a boost in terms of mobility imo, maybe just run speed up could help you a bit since the weapon is heavier (you walk slower than with other weapons when shooting) than the rest of the dual wields. The weapon has both a relatively useful sub in the toxic mist and the tenta missiles so going for sub efficient and special weapon abilities would be a great option. Maybe an Ink Saver (sub), a Special Charge Up and a Ink Recovery Up.

And to explain the Big/Small abilities, I'm not sure this is the exact same thing in Splatoon 2 (but so far it seems to be, at least closely) but the values are roughly:

Big ability= 1
Small ability= ~1/3

So 3 "small" abilities equals to a little bit less than one "big" ability, roughly.

The way the abilities work is that they have diminishing returns though, so the more you of the same ability you stack up the smaller and less noticeable the benefit of the surplus will be, most of the abilities basically cap at 2 "big" abilities, or at least they get to the point where it's not worth investing more into them.

That's a Squid Party, yes.
I don't get the joy in ZLing with random people for two and a half minutes, but it's a thing
The transformation sound is cute, as are the squid forms, and thus rapidly transforming grants a sense of joy (for someone). I do try to at least mix it up a bit by either spinning a lot in squid form or making circles or making a bit of art.

Which reminds me what's the most art friendly weapon in the game?

Pikma

Banned

Ink Saver (Main) is really useful with weapons that are heavy on the ink usage, basically Splatling and Blasters, maybe some Rollers too, it's a must for me in those cases.

I say there should be a bit more XP rewarded for doing well even if you don't win. Maybe an XP bonus for getting a certain number of splats, or a second XP bonus for a larger amount inked. At least then you'd get something extra for being the best player on the losing team.

Agreed. A "most points" award and "most splats" award bonus would make me a lot less salty.

GokouD

Personally I can't live without mains in Ink Resistance, Sub-Saver and Sub-Power up. I throw a lot of bombs, and Sub-Power Up makes a huge difference to the range.

ZeroX03

Banned
Does anyone else have an issue with their Pro Controller where it goes nuts in the menus? Can't control the d-pad and it just scrolls through stuff that I can't control. I thought it was a problem with my controller (as it seems to be a common issue), but it's exclusive to Splatoon 2. Hasn't happened in any other game and I'm using it on PC now perfectly.

MGrant

Does anyone else have an issue with their Pro Controller where it goes nuts in the menus? Can't control the d-pad and it just scrolls through stuff that I can't control. I thought it was a problem with my controller (as it seems to be a common issue), but it's exclusive to Splatoon 2. Hasn't happened in any other game and I'm using it on PC now perfectly.

Try rebooting the switch and leaving the analog sticks centered. It sounds like a stick calibration issue.

Koren

Started getting into ranked properly. What does the "ok" line mean on my ranking?
You won't lose a rank when the meter break (4th crack) if the level is above this line

I don't think I've ever seen a tier list for gear abilities. How good each abilities are greatly depends on what weapon you use.
I've seen a couple of those even in the previous thread ;) But yes, like weapons, it's a matter of playstyle, mode, weapons... (I love Ninja Squid, so that implies Swim Speed Up)

As others, I'd like to thank you for the analysis. Interesting stuff.

Top Bottom