• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Seen some people saying the carbon roller needs a nerf on the last page. Hell to the no it dont. If anything, it along with all the rollers needs a slight buff. Carbon and Splat Rollers are just serviceable in turf war right now. The others are useless and too slow. Only time a carbon will kill you in one shot is if you are point blank and they hit you with a vertical strike.

Sounds like bitter responses from a good carbon user being effective at splatting.

2 hits if they're in your optimal range, but if they're in your optimal range they are either confident they can kill you faster (bad for you), bad players (you would have killed them with something else anyway, and there will be less and less players like this the further you go), or you ambushed them or flanked them (in which case you have 1 hit options and the .52 Gal is redundant).

Eh no, in that range .52Gal will have less TTK than splattershot and zap, and any other weapons that out range it. We see less .52Gal in Splatoon 2 is because the range nerf from Splatoon, which also happens to splattershot and zap. And the bad sub/special weapon. The main weapon itself is a killing machine with the right range.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Carbon Roller is fine. The only weapons I think need nerfing are the Tri-Slosher and to a much lesser extent the Octobrush. The larger concern is buffing the large swathe of useless weapons.

J@hranimo

Banned
Seen some people saying the carbon roller needs a nerf on the last page. Hell to the no it dont. If anything, it along with all the rollers needs a slight buff. Carbon and Splat Rollers are just serviceable in turf war right now. The others are useless and too slow. Only time a carbon will kill you in one shot is if you are point blank and they hit you with a vertical strike.

Sounds like bitter responses from a good carbon user being effective at splatting.

*Looks at avatar* you seem to know your stuff ;)

But yeah I agree 100% and your paragraph is essentially me with both of those rollers in this game. I am still a fan of the splat roller in this game way more than Splatoon 1, but as a person who uses a carbon roller a lot in 1 there definitely was some adjusting needed for this game. They can still be a force but require a lot more effort and aim with the vert flick.

Hopefully all rollers return to their former glory soon and iron out some weird quirks like strange knockback from some flick and roll splats.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Eh no, in that range .52Gal will have less TTK than splattershot and zap, and any other weapons that out range it. We see less .52Gal in Splatoon 2 is because the range nerf from Splatoon, which also happens to splattershot and zap. And the bad sub/special weapon. The main weapon itself is a killing machine with the right range.

I think you misunderstood. If there is a player that has consciously come into the .52 Gal's optimum range, they've either a) made a bad mistake (making the .52 Gal a flat-track bully) or b) they can kill even faster than you. The number of players that do a) is going to fall considerably as you rise upwards. I use the N-Zap '85. I just don't engage with the .52 Gal at it's optimum range - my range is ever so slightly longer and my TTK is faster at past-optimum range, so I just step back and take the .52 Gal from a distance. The fact the .52 Gal would beat me close-up is irrelevant - I'm not getting close up. The only time I'm getting close-up to a .52 Gal is if I have something like a Tri-Slosher that kills even faster than the .52 Gal does - in which case the 0.5s killing time is irrelevant because you need to be getting the hell out of there (which you won't be able to do anyway since the Tri-Slosher also outranges the .52 Gal...).

On paper, the .52 Gal gets 0.5s kills to the approx. 0.8s of the N-Zap, but that's just on paper. It rarely actually happens against a player of approximately equivalent skill to yourself.

*Looks at avatar* you seem to know your stuff ;)

But yeah I agree 100% and your paragraph is essentially me with both of those rollers in this game. I am still a fan of the splat roller in this game way more than Splatoon 1, but as a person who uses a carbon roller a lot in 1 there definitely was some adjusting needed for this game. They can still be a force but require a lot more effort and aim with the vert flick.

Hopefully all rollers return to their former glory soon and iron out some weird quirks like strange knockback from some flick and roll splats.

I think the carbons speed is great. Id just like to see an increase in range for its vertical flick maybe. The rest of the rollers i would like to see a slight boost to the speed of the vertical flick. As it stands now, even with the carbon being the fastest...by the time i get my second flick off, anyone with good aim can hit me 3-6 times (depending on the weapon they are using) before my second animation is done. If i happen to get into a 1 on 1 situation, i have to be extremely quick with dodging if i am going to be the one walking away. Which means, if i want to splat effectively i have to use hide and ambush tactics a lot of the time.

And thanks for the compliments on my inkling lol

*Wanted to add. Yeah that knockback mechanic is odd. Whenever it happens i get so disoriented lol

I think you misunderstood. If there is a player that has consciously come into the .52 Gal's optimum range, they've either a) made a bad mistake (making the .52 Gal a flat-track bully) or b) they can kill even faster than you. The number of players that do a) is going to fall considerably as you rise upwards. I use the N-Zap '85. I just don't engage with the .52 Gal at it's optimum range - my range is ever so slightly longer and my TTK is faster at past-optimum range, so I just step back and take the .52 Gal from a distance. The fact the .52 Gal would beat me close-up is irrelevant - I'm not getting close up. The only time I'm getting close-up to a .52 Gal is if I have something like a Tri-Slosher that kills even faster than the .52 Gal does - in which case the 0.5s killing time is irrelevant because you need to be getting the hell out of there (which you won't be able to do anyway since the Tri-Slosher also outranges the .52 Gal...).

On paper, the .52 Gal gets 0.5s kills to the approx. 0.8s of the N-Zap, but that's just on paper. It rarely actually happens against a player of approximately equivalent skill to yourself.

Well that's what we need spacing skills for, if we apply your logic everyone will be using 4Kscope, and sploosh will the the worst weapon ever. As long as the enemy is not using something out range .52Gal a lot(like splattershot pro) or the broken tri-slosher, .52Gal can always try to get close without getting hit, people do have that kind of skills. No need for flanking or ambush.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's what we need spacing skills for, if we apply your logic everyone will be using 4Kscope, and sploosh will the the worst weapon ever. As long as the enemy is not using something out range .52Gal a lot(like splattershot pro) or the broken tri-slosher, .52Gal can always try to get close without getting hit, people do have that kind of skills. No need for flanking or ambush.

Chargers are lacking in other departments - ink coverage, ability to respond quickly - that mean other weapons fill roles they can't, even with optimum spacing. I am unconvinced there is any role that is best filled by the .52 Gal given optimum spacing with the availability of the Tentatek Splattershot and N-Zap '85.

Splatoon 2 will be defined by six weapons as stands, I think - N-Zap '85, Tentatek Splattershot, Tri-Slosher, Firefin Splatterscope, Octobrush, and Rapid Blaster.

Soul Lab

Splatoon 2 will be defined by six weapons as stands, I think - N-Zap '85, Tentatek Splattershot, Tri-Slosher, Firefin Splatterscope, Octobrush, and Rapid Blaster.

I agree. Maybe I'd add Splattershot Pro to this list. o_Dude uses it a lot.

DrArchon

Can I just say that I'm starting to get really tired of this "Summer Gear Special Event Thing" that's going on on Spatnet? I get the idea, being more likely to see certain pieces of gear is pretty cool, but as someone that checks Splatnet regularly it sucks to see the same gear over and over and over again, even if the abilities are different.

Variety is the spice of life after all.

13ruce

Banned
Can I just say that I'm starting to get really tired of this "Summer Gear Special Event Thing" that's going on on Spatnet? I get the idea, being more likely to see certain pieces of gear is pretty cool, but as someone that checks Splatnet regularly it sucks to see the same gear over and over and over again, even if the abilities are different.

Agreed i already got all of em:/

Yeah, i hear ya. I hope they add some new clothes soon. Need to diversify the wardrobe to stay fresh!

DrArchon

Yeah, i hear ya. I hope they add some new clothes soon. Need to diversify the wardrobe to stay fresh!

New clothes would be fly. I guess that's the idea behind the Grizzco stuff, but I don't like the look of the two they've released, and getting one new item per month is way too slow. Should be 1 per two weeks.

The event ended on Thursday.

DrArchon

The event ended on Thursday.

Great. Back to our regularly scheduled Splatnet items.

Again, the idea was cool, it just didn't have enough variety. I shouldn't have been seeing some of the same gear pieces 3 times over the course of the event. This is the kind of thing they should do with a big influx of brand new gear, not stuff that's already in the game.

DjRalford

Urge, I'm getting so sick of scoring more than the opponents top player and still losing because my team is garbage.

There's no way I should regularly be outscoring my entire team, totally sucking the enjoyment out the game for me.

GokouD

Urge, I'm getting so sick of scoring more than the opponents top player and still losing because my team is garbage.

There's no way I should regularly be outscoring my entire team, totally sucking the enjoyment out the game for me.

I get that it's annoying, but what do you want the game to do about it? There's always going to be crap players. It can hardly put all the good players on one team, that's going to be really unfair for the bad players. If anything, it's probably trying to balance things by putting you on their team to help them out.

DrArchon

I say there should be a bit more XP rewarded for doing well even if you don't win. Maybe an XP bonus for getting a certain number of splats, or a second XP bonus for a larger amount inked. At least then you'd get something extra for being the best player on the losing team.

McArkus

Reached A rank in all ranked modes, but lost an A+ rank in one connection unstable and other close matches (overtime or 1 point difference). Its going to take a while to reach that S rank. On more positive news, been having really good matches lately in Salmon Run with randoms, it looks like they are starting to get the concept of teamwork and strength/weakness of the random weapons in profeshonal runs.

MGrant

Three things would immediately improve solo play online for me:

1. Hidden MMR for Turf War.
2. If one team has only 3 players during the first 10 seconds, the match is cancelled.
3. Actually group people based on having a variety of weapons.

Alexlf

Did Nintendo change something serverside for Profreshional? It's absolutely brutal today!

I do think they made it tougher. I was rock solid at 99 points but I've slid down to 30 over the last 24 hours. Even getting past round 2 to hold rank can be killer hard.

Three things would immediately improve solo play online for me:

1. Hidden MMR for Turf War.
2. If one team has only 3 players during the first 10 seconds, the match is cancelled.
3. Actually group people based on having a variety of weapons.
I'm pretty sure 1 and 3 already get done under the hood, although being able to join rooms with friends messes up MMR based team assignments some.

DrArchon

I'm pretty sure 1 and 3 already get done under the hood, although being able to join rooms with friends messes up MMR based team assignments some.

If 3 was done, they needed to do a better job with it. Too many games with 3 people rocking Aerosprays all put on one team against a more balanced team, or all of the melee weapons together, or two chargers together.

Or just let people choose their weapons without leaving the lobby so it becomes more diverse naturally.

Salt Warning

I have to say I can't comprehend the logic behind having a mandatory tutorial for bosses but not the special rounds that are far more challenging as they entirely depend on your team working together and understanding the goal.

Just played Salmon Run and had a teammate that ran into the pack on a Griller round before spamming help, one where I've kited two Grillers around for 40s and literally not had a single person on the team able to crack one open and now a Firefly round where everyone just runs into the middle of everything and then spams "Help!". Really erodes my will to continue playing which is a shame as it's not only my favourite thing in the game but also time limited.

Sorry for the rant, I just can't understand the decision to have the parts of the mode that rely the most on teamwork hidden in a manual but a mandatory guide for everything else.

I was playing Salmon Run yesterday on the Spawning Grounds map with the tide all the way in, so water was up all the way.

In that map it means its no where as seamless as Marooner's Bay with less surface space to work with, lots of steel grated walk ways in which to fall through to a watery grave if you're trying to swim in squid form to some higher ground. If you get a couple Steel Eels and or a couple Motherships with the limited space on that map, with the tide in, it seems to be instant doom.

My team of random coworkers literally got wiped atleast 3-4 times in the first round, before I called it quits. Has anyone else found that map tricky when the tide is all the way in? and whats your strategy to persist.

DjRalford

I get that it's annoying, but what do you want the game to do about it? There's always going to be crap players. It can hardly put all the good players on one team, that's going to be really unfair for the bad players. If anything, it's probably trying to balance things by putting you on their team to help them out.

That's all good and well but it would be nice to not have to lose multiple games in a row before it starts balancing the teams skills up, the way it works at the moment seems to me that I'm penalised for being a good player.

Gurrry

The ๖ۜBronx;246417018 said:
Salt Warning

I have to say I can't comprehend the logic behind having a mandatory tutorial for bosses but not the special rounds that are far more challenging as they entirely depend on your team working together and understanding the goal.

Just played Salmon Run and had a teammate that ran into the pack on a Griller round before spamming help, one where I've kited two Grillers around for 40s and literally not had a single person on the team able to crack one open and now a Firefly round where everyone just runs into the middle of everything and then spams "Help!". Really erodes my will to continue playing which is a shame as it's not only my favourite thing in the game but also time limited.

Sorry for the rant, I just can't understand the decision to have the parts of the mode that rely the most on teamwork hidden in a manual but a mandatory guide for everything else.

Yeah that is irritating. Also - teaching us how to defeat some bosses, but then only giving us weapons that are basically useless against them. I always feel so lost when I have Tri-Slosher and theres that bomb guy. I cant even hit him from all the way down here!

Kaban

Managed to top out Profreshional last night. Think it was a combination of good teammates and not too many bullshit waves.

Forkball

Sums up my Splatoon 2 experience thus far:

DHaUDxdUwAAPKaz.jpg

DrArchon

Yeah that is irritating. Also - teaching us how to defeat some bosses, but then only giving us weapons that are basically useless against them. I always feel so lost when I have Tri-Slosher and theres that bomb guy. I cant even hit him from all the way down here!

Not every weapon is good against every boss, but there should at least be one weapon that's good against a particular boss in any given SR lineup. If your bucket can't hit a SteelHead, don't bother trying! Give a quick "This way" to maybe attract the attention of someone that can kill it and then go do something better with your time.

There's always something you can be doing to help, even if it's just painting lanes to the basket. Don't feel like you need to kill every boss by yourself.

Ricky 7

Not sure if it's Meta or whatever but I really love the umbrella and don't remember it being in splat 1
I like using it as well but have no idea how to use it properly. I feel bad using it in Rank cus I always do the worse on the team when I use it😂

Doorman

I feel like the disclaimer/warning needs to be put out there, much like the early message that kills aren't everything in turf war, so too is your endgame score not everything either. Don't use that as the greatest thing you're taking into account when it comes to performing well or not, because that's not very well reflective of how any single match works and doesn't encompass many successful strategies. Good for you and your 1000+ points but that's no immediate indicator of success.

Some of the better rounds I've had involve getting into a particularly good spot and then put the focus on area denial and defense rather than continuing to needlessly push forward and get counter-punched or allow a jailbreak. Since that means a lot of time patrolling areas already covered in ink, it doesn't reflect as strongly in the final scoreboard but is still crucial in securing the victory. Likewise in the first game, my favorite tactic with the Sploosh involved just being more of a nuisance, sneaking into back lines and not necessarily killing a lot, but being a big distraction for the enemy and easing frontline pressure for the rest of our team to move forward. Again, not much scoreboard glory but still an effective tactic.

When it comes to turf war, especially with randoms, my personal advice would be not to focus too hard on w/l or looking at what your (obviously inferior) teammates did, but just judging the feel of your own performance and thinking about what more you could learn or adjust to to improve your personal play. It's the game's most casual mode.

Col.Asher

I feel like the disclaimer/warning needs to be put out there, much like the early message that kills aren't everything in turf war, so too is your endgame score not everything either. Don't use that as the greatest thing you're taking into account when it comes to performing well or not, because that's not very well reflective of how any single match works and doesn't encompass many successful strategies. Good for you and your 1000+ points but that's no immediate indicator of success.

Some of the better rounds I've had involve getting into a particularly good spot and then put the focus on area denial and defense rather than continuing to needlessly push forward and get counter-punched or allow a jailbreak. Since that means a lot of time patrolling areas already covered in ink, it doesn't reflect as strongly in the final scoreboard but is still crucial in securing the victory. Likewise in the first game, my favorite tactic with the Sploosh involved just being more of a nuisance, sneaking into back lines and not necessarily killing a lot, but being a big distraction for the enemy and easing frontline pressure for the rest of our team to move forward. Again, not much scoreboard glory but still an effective tactic.

When it comes to turf war, especially with randoms, my personal advice would be not to focus too hard on w/l or looking at what your (obviously inferior) teammates did, but just judging the feel of your own performance and thinking about what more you could learn or adjust to to improve your personal play. It's the game's most casual mode.

I've noticed with a lot of players that do not lock an area down. Another thing is the mentality to push into the enemy spawn being bigger in splatoon 2, possibly from the ease to get into the spawn area.

I've noticed with a lot of players that do not lock an area down. Another thing is the mentality to push into the enemy spawn being bigger in splatoon 2, possibly from the ease to get into the spawn area.

Huh? It's much harder to get to the enemy spawn in 2 compared to one. You can't even touch the enemy spawn in a lot of maps.

I agree with this post. So many times do I see people jump right into the middle to go pvp, like it was a double xp weekend in CoD. People who can't be bothered to ink their own turf and jump right in for the kill.

These same people aren't getting much turf inked in the middle cause they're getting slaughtered as they rush up the middle. Then I find the other team has their side of the map inked, they then control the middle as they've killed everyone who jumped in and they start to push into my teams side of the map. Which then becomes a battle to break free as the opposing team plays the "trap" and defends against anyone breaking through and going to the opposing teams end to start to fix the damage.

I can't stand people who play like this, they'll defend their actions saying that they're securing the middle but the middle is the high traffic zone that's constantly changing hands, those are the matches I find myself losing in.

I had a match like that last night where if I hadn't noticed just before the last minute that 2/3rd's of our side was untouched we would have lost, despite the "hold the middle mentality" I sat back, inked our half of the map as everyone else went pvp in the middle with no one to challenge me for un-inked reality space.

Col.Asher

Huh? It's much harder to get to the enemy spawn in 2 compared to one. You can't even touch the enemy spawn in a lot of maps.

Maybe I worded it wrong, but the area right below spawn. Take humpback pump track which has the ramp leading into spawn areas (I've made it my life's mission to lock the ramp down, as soon as I leave someone always goes through it), or even moray towers which is easier to break into the ramps leading up to spawn. The hardest spawn area to break into is Inkblot academy with the single wall to paint, then the reef which doesn't have access to spawn as that's mostly middle ground in design.
Edit: maybe I think this way due to way too much humpback(seriously it was all I was able to play yesterday.), as you can get into the spawn area without going through the middle ground. I can't think of a Splatoon one map that did that, Mahi-mahi resort being the closest.

Glix

Had just an unbelievable experience in turf war last night. Important to note I am not that great. I use the zapper most of the time.

So my p was 980. and I had five splats and two deaths. I played a really solid round. I was shocked when I saw the final map, we got crushed.

Then I looked at my team. None of the other 3 were over 517p and none of them had a single splat or super activation.

Was not too salty, just shocked that my team was SO bad. It was just, incredibly bad.

ChrisD

Maybe I worded it wrong, but the area right below spawn. Take humpback pump track which has the ramp leading into spawn areas (I've made it my life's mission to lock the ramp down, as soon as I leave someone always goes through it), or even moray towers which is easier to break into the ramps leading up to spawn. The hardest spawn area to break into is Inkblot academy with the single wall to paint, then the reef which doesn't have access to spawn as that's mostly middle ground in design.
Edit: maybe I think this way due to way too much humpback(seriously it was all I was able to play yesterday.), as you can get into the spawn area without going through the middle ground. I can't think of a Splatoon one map that did that, Mahi-mahi resort being the closest.
Inkblot can also be accessed by jumping from the big block to the little.... Umbrella... Thing. In the center of that platform.

If you've got Burst Bombs you can pre-paint everything to make for super quick invades.

Doorman

Is the classic squiffer another charged sniper?
It's a charger, yes, but calling it a sniper might be a little generous given its effective range. It's the shortest range charger in the game and is more in line with the midrange shooters like the dualie squelchers and splattershot pro instead of the standard charger or heavy splatling.

Top Bottom