• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

This splatfest is as hard to choose as the last, but for entirely different reasons. Mayo/Ketchup are gross, but both powers are awesome.

I love to travel, so flight seems like a no brainer. I also hate driving, but some days hate walking everywhere.

BUT invisibility feels like the perfect ability for my introversion. Sometimes I want to go out, do things, but not be bothered by people. Go to a club or concert just to listen to the music. I could get a spot right in the front under the stage, or on the stage. So cool.

I know, I'm overthinking a Splatfest, but that's where all the fun is! I think I'm going to go TeamInvis.

jorgejjvr

I've won every single game of Turf War today...geez this feels way toooo easy
League? Ranked?

If you go to the discord app, we also do gaf turf wars

Still online meaning you still level up, but much more challenging and fun with people from gaf that you can interact with

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'M SORRY MATHÉO!

DHdx0M9VwAAC7zb.jpg

Mediking

I was using it too, but now that I have the Splattershot pro I can kill people so much easier. It was frustrating how much I had to lay into someone with the aero.

I get killed by people with dualies probably the the most. Those things rip.

It takes several years to kill someone with the Aerospray.

People who want it to get a nerf just don't understand.

Now the Tri-Slosher and Carbon Roller are pretty much instant kills.

MGrant

Sorry for the long post everyone, but I've had my coffee this morning and decided to put together a little beginner's guide to choosing weapons and knowing what role you can do well at when helping your team win. This is just my personal advice for beginners who might be trying to bite off more than they can chew with certain weapons; advanced players will find they can do more than this list implies, and I don't mean to bag on anyone's style if they like playing a weapon in their own way. Also, just because two weapons have the same role does not mean that they fulfill that role in the same way.

To start with, rather than organizing weapons by model type, I've organized them by roles:

- Well-Rounded weapons do not excel or lag behind in any particular area, and can perform all roles to varying degrees of success
- Ink-Coverage weapons excel at covering undefended areas with ink. They may be too weak or too short-ranged to go for splats or defend flanks, or maybe they are so good at inking that they should leave the killing and defending to other weapons.
- Offense weapons are good at splatting, flanking, and pressure. They push into enemy territory and take out defenders to allow their Ink-Covering buddies to take ground more quickly. They should be able to get into firefights and survive long enough to either get the kill or make an escape.
- Defense weapons are for area denial, covering flanks, and protecting teammates from the back lines. They are generally longer-ranged weapons that lack the firing rate to push or flank, and have less impressive ink coverage overall, but are great for out-ranging just about anything that could be trying to approach them or kill their teammates.
- Mixed-focus weapons are capable of doing a good job switching between two roles to varying degrees, but might lag behind in the third, or are simply mediocre at it to the point that it becomes a tertiary concern.

Here's my list:

Well-Rounded
Splattershot
.56 Gal
N-Zap

Ink-Coverage
Sploosh-o-Matic
Splat Roller
Aerospray
Inkbrush

Offense
Splat Dualies
Dapple Dualies
Blaster
Luna Blaster

Defense
Splat Charger
Splatterscope
E-Liter 4k (Scope)
Jet Squelcher

Ink-Coverage/Offense
Splattershot, Jr.
Splash-o-matic
Carbon Roller
Slosher
Tri-Slosher
Octobrush
Splat Brella

Ink-Coverage/Defense
L-3 Nozzlenose
H-3 Nozzlenose
.96 Gal
Dynamo Roller
Flingza Roller
Heavy Splatling

Offense/Defense
Splattershot Pro
Dualie Squelchers
Rapid Blaster
Clash Blaster
Goo Tuber
Mini-Splatling

13ruce

Banned
Can we pick Splatfest sides yet? Currently busy with playing Mania but after i will be right back in Splatoon 2 for some squid goodness:p

MGrant

There is no /offense with an Inkbrush. ;)

Yeah, I went back and forth on that one. I feel it can be a pressure monster if your team has pushed up, and I've been dominated by one absolute ninja inkbrush user, but since it's a list for beginners, I think you're right. I'll move it to the ink coverage category.

Blackie

Does anyone else seem to change their favorite/main weapon every few days? There are so many freaking options in this game, haha. Went from the Dualies to the Splattershot to the N-Zap and now to the Rapid Blaster. Sometimes a weapon just clicks and you go on a tear! Blasting the hell out of everyone right now :)

Sorry for the long post everyone, but I've had my coffee this morning and decided to put together a little beginner's guide to choosing weapons and knowing what role you can do well at when helping your team win. This is just my personal advice for beginners who might be trying to bite off more than they can chew with certain weapons; advanced players will find they can do more than this list implies, and I don't mean to bag on anyone's style if they like playing a weapon in their own way. Also, just because two weapons have the same role does not mean that they fulfill that role in the same way.

To start with, rather than organizing weapons by model type, I've organized them by roles:

- Well-Rounded weapons do not excel or lag behind in any particular area, and can perform all roles to varying degrees of success
- Ink Coverage weapons excel at covering undefended areas with ink. They may be too weak or too short-ranged to go for splats or defend flanks, or maybe they are so good at painting that they should leave the killing and defending to other weapons.
- Offense weapons are good at splatting, flanking, and pressure. They push into enemy territory and take out defenders to allow their painters to take ground more quickly. They should be able to get into firefights and survive long enough to either get the kill or make an escape.
- Defense weapons are for area denial, covering flanks, and protecting teammates from the back lines. They are generally longer-ranged weapons that lack the firing rate to push or flank, and have less impressive ink coverage overall, but are great for out-ranging just about anything that could be trying to approach them or kill their teammates.
- Mixed-focus weapons are capable of doing a good job switching between two roles to varying degrees, but might lag behind in the third, or are simply mediocre at it to the point that it becomes a tertiary concern.

Here's my list:

Well-Rounded

Ink-Coverage

Offense

Defense

Ink-Coverage/Offense

Ink-Coverage/Defense

Offense/Defense

Thanks for taking the time.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Forget that I said that this loadout would make this SR shift easy. I can barely win a 3rd wave lmao

umbra

Not sure why, but today's salmon run easily had the most times my teams wiped on the first wave ever... I fell out of profreshional and almost out of overacheiver even. Thankfully, the teams I was on after we seemed to figure things out finally.

Tough night for me in ranked Splatzones. Was one win away from S rank and got some terrible teams and lost 3 in a row to start over. Its rough watching your meter drop lol

Hugstable

Banned
My goodness do the I hate the Brushes in Salmon Run. Why does there always have to be a brush! And most all, why have I gotten the brush 5 times a row on the 3rd round! Nintendo is trolling me :(

It takes several years to kill someone with the Aerospray.

People who want it to get a nerf just don't understand.

Now the Tri-Slosher and Carbon Roller are pretty much instant kills.

Yea, the Tri-Slosher and t a lesser extent the Carbon Roller need a nerf.

javadoze

Not sure why, but today's salmon run easily had the most times my teams wiped on the first wave ever... I fell out of profreshional and almost out of overacheiver even. Thankfully, the teams I was on after we seemed to figure things out finally.

Same. It's an odd combination of low-power (Inkbrush and Aerospray) and slow weapons (Heavy Splatling and Splattershot Pro). Thankfully, I haven't left Profreshional this timeslot of Salmon Run.

random25

My goodness do the I hate the Brushes in Salmon Run. Why does there always have to be a brush! And most all, why have I gotten the brush 5 times a row on the 3rd round! Nintendo is trolling me :(

Inkbrush is a great tool in Salmon Run. Like I said before, reviving teammates and collecting eggs is much easier when there's an inkbrush in the set.

Same. It's an odd combination of low-power (Inkbrush and Aerospray) and slow weapons (Heavy Splatling and Splattershot Pro). Thankfully, I haven't left Profreshional this timeslot of Salmon Run.

Aero is the weak link in that set. Should have been something with a little more power or range, like N-zap or Jr.

Estoc

Tried brush the correct way finally, great amazing fun. Not sure how I could use it effectively in anything but turf war though...

Had the dumbest fight against another brusher, it was practically this:

I won.

13ruce

Banned
I know what you meant.

Soooooooo.....which side?

Hmm????

I can't see it in my plaza. I might need to restart though.

Hmmmmm invinsibility.
Flight is cool and all but i would get bored of it after a while.

Also with invinsibility i can "stop" Trump and his crazy Government friends and help America out of hell. With flight they just see me comin and shoot me down lol.

also easy to get rich just rob a bank

Tried brush the correct way finally, great amazing fun. Not sure how I could use it effectively in anything but turf war though...

Had the dumbest fight against another brusher, it was practically this:

I won.
Hahaha grats on your slapfest

Man Port Mackeral is so conducive for spawn camping... It feels so dirty but so right. Last game of Turf War I killed a guy three times in a row right out of spawn. He spent the last 30-40 seconds of the game dead.

....He was a roller so I feel absolutely no sympathy though.

What a back and forth day for Salmon Run.

Was stuck in Overachiever from two runs ago (completely missed the last run) a lot of people not knowing how to use the charger correctly, or a good distance with the Pro.

Went on a winning streak at the end and got back into Profeshional :D

RedFyn

The carbon roller does not need a nerf.

Instead of trying to play every weapon the same in salmon run try to figure out how it can be used effectively. The brushs attack is pretty bad. But it's fast. Zip around reviving teammates, collecting eggs, reaching those out of the way bosses.

Hmmmmm invinsibility.
Flight is cool and all but i would get bored of it after a while.

Also with invinsibility i can "stop" Trump and his crazy Government friends and help America out of hell. With flight they just see me comin and shoot me down lol.

also easy to get rich just rob a bank
Yes invisibility! I knew I liked you for a reason! In a bro way.

giphy.gif

Soul Lab

Looking for some EU players who would like to play league (pair or squad). Not now, but generally.

Started more seriously with Ranked this week and I'm constantly climbing. I'm currently S in Splatzones and Tower Control and A+ in Rainmaker. So I'm not that bad.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Aero is the weak link in that set. Should have been something with a little more power or range, like N-zap or Jr.

Aerospray is probably one of the best weapons I've used in Salmon. It tears pretty much everything apart at close range. It's really easy to get close to enemies in Salmon Run, so its low accuracy doesn't really matter.

69wpm

Looking for some EU players who would like to play league (pair or squad). Not now, but generally.

Started more seriously with Ranked this week and I'm constantly climbing. I'm currently S in Splatzones and Tower Control and A+ in Rainmaker. So I'm not that bad.
PM me your friend code and I'll add you this evening. Would love to play more league.

random25

Aerospray is probably one of the best weapons I've used in Salmon. It tears pretty much everything apart at close range. It's really easy to get close to enemies in Salmon Run, so its low accuracy doesn't really matter.

Aero is really good in Salmon Run, if it is the shortest ranged weapon in the set. Because inkbrush also exist in the current set, there will be modes where it can be a huge liability, like the mothership round.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Aero is really good in Salmon Run, if it is the shortest ranged weapon in the set. Because inkbrush also exist in the current set, there will be modes where it can be a huge liability, like the mothership round.

Aerospray should focus on collecting eggs other players have shot down, not shooting them down themselves. The Heavy Splatling and the Splattershot Pro are both capable of doing that.

mjp2417

Banned
This game desperately needs a way to incentivize individual performance. More than half my games I might as well just go smoke a cigarette because my teammates are so bad. The end result for me would be the exact same.

Top Bottom