• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

ryanofcall

We (my friends and I) tried to choose same team in the last splatfest so we could play together. Turns out you can't join friends while splatfest is going on.

Jazzem

We (my friends and I) tried to choose same team in the last splatfest so we could play together. Turns out you can't join friends while splatfest is going on.

You can make a squad of four friends but it can't be any less than that, also I had a hell of a time finding other squads for the last splatfest :/

Jazzem

Oh God I just realized the worst thing about this Splatfest.

You can't use Ninja Squid and be on Team Invisible because of the forced shirt.

I call bullshit Nintendo!

Ah man, that's a good point D:

I suppose at least with flight you can have an inkjet special

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Flight is rubbish if you don't have super speed as well.

Enjoy taking 4 weeks to fly to Japan when I can just sneak on to a plane.

So, what are people predicting the unpopular vote to be so they can game the system and group up with the good players, because of course, if everyone does that, it'll just turn the unpopular choice into the popular choice and you may have been better off sticking with what you actually wanted to vote for.

maouvin

Will depend on public hotspots to even pick a side this time, but flight is an easy choice.

Well there's a lot of things to consider with flight other than just general fear of heights:

a) How fast do you fly? Flying at 4 mph sounds pretty lame.
b) If you do fly super fast, does the air resistance fuck up your face, or do you need a helmet?
c) Can you fly super high without worrying about changes in air pressure?
d) How many bugs will fly into your face? What happens if you hit a bird?
e) How easy is it to turn, slow down, etc? Momentum would be a bitch if you had to go from mach 1 to stopping on a dime.
f) Does it tire you out? What if flying was as exhausting as running?
g) Are you guaranteed to look cool while flying?

See, lots of things to consider. Invisibility is much simpler.

a) Do you have to take off your clothes?
b) How long does it last?

Dude.

Look at how happy this little guy is thanks to the power of flight.

Flyfish.jpg

#TeamFlyfish

random25

Well there's a lot of things to consider with flight other than just general fear of heights:

a) How fast do you fly? Flying at 4 mph sounds pretty lame.
b) If you do fly super fast, does the air resistance fuck up your face, or do you need a helmet?
c) Can you fly super high without worrying about changes in air pressure?
d) How many bugs will fly into your face? What happens if you hit a bird?
e) How easy is it to turn, slow down, etc? Momentum would be a bitch if you had to go from mach 1 to stopping on a dime.
f) Does it tire you out? What if flying was as exhausting as running?
g) Are you guaranteed to look cool while flying?

See, lots of things to consider. Invisibility is much simpler.

a) Do you have to take off your clothes?
b) How long does it last?

What if in the middle of a public place you lost your power and you're naked?

GetLucky

I have a strange question. It seems Nintendo is marketing this game towards everyone, including a younger audience.

Are kids into this game? I am thinking about getting it for my niece, but it is a relatively complex game. She's 10. I'm curious if the kids can keep up.

DrArchon

It's not interesting to fly over the ocean though.

I thought half the appeal of flight was just getting to wherever you wanted to go. Like "Oh, I want dinner in Paris, so I'll just fly over there."

But fine. How about losing your power anywhere in the world assuming you're a decent distance above the ground?

Just bought the new squid and boy amiibo (my first Splatoon ones), should be delivered within a couple of hours. Was torn for a long time as I really prefer the outfits from the original amiibo, but dislike the simplicity of their figure design compared to new. Wasn't a fan of the ninja at all until I realised I use ninja squid and octobrush a ton in Splat Zones and then it seemed fitting.

Anyone else prefer the old costumes but new amiibo?

random25

I thought half the appeal of flight was just getting to wherever you wanted to go. Like "Oh, I want dinner in Paris, so I'll just fly over there."

But fine. How about losing your power anywhere in the world assuming you're a decent distance above the ground?

You can fly above lands and cross the seas as minimal as possible.

Just carry a parachute. Even planes have them.

What if you can make your clothes invisible too?

Even the Hollow Man can't do that. Go nekkid or bust.

DrArchon

Going invisible doesn't hide your scent (I think), so they would still find you.

How do they smell? They're in little glass bubbles.

If anything, invisibility would make them unkillable without the Sting Ray because they wouldn't shoot anyone and thus wouldn't open up.

Yes another Splatfest! And just in time for my Callie and Marie amiibo to arrive!

I'm glad Marina chose something I can agree with this time. Invisibility it is!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The illustration for the Splatfest still shows their clothes so we can assume it's the 'you have to be naked' version of invisibility.

Totofogo

Neo Member
I've been away for the game for a few weeks and missed the Splatbrella's introduction... what's the general reaction to it?

The ๖ۜBronx;246337720 said:
Just bought the new squid and boy amiibo (my first Splatoon ones), should be delivered within a couple of hours. Was torn for a long time as I really prefer the outfits from the original amiibo, but dislike the simplicity of their figure design compared to new. Wasn't a fan of the ninja at all until I realised I use ninja squid and octobrush a ton in Splat Zones and then it seemed fitting.
Headpiece is Quick Respawn, suit is Special Saver, and the boots are Swim Speed Up.

It's designed for fake ninjas who swim straight towards their opponents and get splatted repeatedly as a result, not for actual ninjas.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You can also participate in the sub splatfest category:

Do you prefer the new SquidForce emblem found on the starting shirt or the old one?

DrArchon

Headpiece is Quick Respawn, suit is Special Saver, and the boots are Swim Speed Up.

It's designed for fake ninjas who swim straight towards their opponents and get splatted repeatedly as a result, not for actual ninjas.

Yeah, most of the Amiibo costumes aren't great oustide of looks. Oddly the Power Armor Mk 2 comes with double Ink Resistance, which is really weird when none of the other Amiibo outfits double up on anything.

That said, bits and pieces of the school clothes ones look good when mixed and matched with non-amiibo stuff.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Of course if you turn into squid form, clothes are no problem and you'd be fully invisible.

Actually, where do the clothes go while in squid form?

The original model (or what the Discord group regularly refers to as the "Just Blaster") definitely feels like it has a rough go of things in this game right now, with its ink efficiency being harmed so much and (in my opinion, at least) the toxic mist not being nearly as useful of a combat tool as the old disruptor was for this kit. You really have no way at all to out-fight something like a splattershot or anything similar outside of getting an ambush-direct OHKO since any other scenario tends to wind up with you being dead. Which...at that point, you could probably ambush-kill just as easily with a splattershot yourself, and also have much better approach options and turf covering ability. Disruptor used to help even up your maneuverability against ink-hungry weapons and cut off escapes, allowing you to chase down and take out a fleeing foe. If you hit someone with mist....they just leave the mist and it's like nothing happened, and after throwing it out you barely have any ink to try and chase after them anyway. The Luna, despite having its efficiency cut down even worse than the Just Blaster, feels more usable to me if only because it's a little quicker and your odds of getting the 2-burst KOs is higher than the normal blaster. Baller's a wonky special that I can't figure out, though. I agree that utility-wise, the Rapid Blaster is probably the best of the bunch for the time being and I haven't actually tried it out yet, but it does at least have the range to out-duke many of the current popular weapons as long as you keep your spacing right (namely Splattershot, Aerospray, Octobrush, N-Zap, and Tri-slosher...even Brella if you want to count it as popular for now).

Thing is...I still think the Clash is also really good at pressuring many of those same weapons. Those fast explosions can be pretty disorienting and I think they do a better job of catching people around corners than the Rapid's bursts do. I admit if they made the Clash's turfing work the same way as other blasters it would probably be able to cover ground a little too quickly, but like I suggested if they just tweak its inking pattern to vary a little more, it would open up the weapon's overall usability a lot without really changing the power balance at all of what would be best to combat it. I was curious about Clash prior to the game coming out, felt a little disheartened when folks who got it earlier quickly shelved it for a variety of reasons (4 indirect bursts to KO instead of 2 or 3 like other blasters, really poor turfing, not generally liking stingray), and figured I'd just give it a little test for the sake of it before heading back to my other "main" weapons.
But what I'm finding out is that, despite its flaws, with this weapon I might be having the most pure fun with the game since its launch. Weighing effectiveness and results against my personal opinions and feelings about weapons has been something I struggle with a lot, and it's been that way since very early into Splatoon 1, so something like this that I can be enjoying even during times that I'm not doing particularly well kinda means something to me. It's entirely possible that honeymoon period might fade at some point, but I'll keep pressing it for now, and try to find out just what this thing's capable of.

Disruptor (along with multiple other things from Splatoon 1) was kind of OP compared to Toxic Mist, but for a weapon like the Just Blaster (lol) it's almost necessary and realistically better than just an AOE mist that someone can easily escape from. And as you mentioned the fact that Toxic mist costs a lot of ink and Blasters themselves consume a lot of ink as well, it severely limits the ability to chase down opponents in some cases. I still think it's good for pressuring though. I do like the Luna but with it's high ink consumption both for the weapon itself and sub weapon (Splat Bombs), I constantly have trouble maintaining an ample amount to shoot with. Call me crazy, but I think the Luna kit should have came with Burst Bombs for easy extra damage with low ink consumption and Ink Storm or some Bomb rush. As for the Rapid Blaster, keeping a distance is key and if the enemy starts closing in, the Ink mines are an easy way out but still kind of situational.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy using the Clash blaster as well. Those short range multiple explosions ensure an opponent can't just run away which is pretty good for getting the drop on long range oriented weapons. Watching them panic trying to get you knowing they can't escape is a pretty satisfying thing haha. I agree with you that a change in the inking pattern would definitely help it without altering things too much while giving it a subtle but needed buff. To be quite honest, I love using the Blaster series weapons. They aren't the greatest and require a good understanding of how other weapons operate and how the kit operates, but man are they fun!

Edit: Another Splatfest theme where both sides don't entice me :/

zenspider

The ๖ۜBronx;246203894 said:
Thoughts on the worst weapons for the game modes?

Turf War:

I'd say blasters. If the other team caps the middle and spreads out from there, you're pretty useless trying to hunt them all down. Certain maps like Port Mackerel where you can shoot around corners will always be strong for blasters, but again you need your team to ink, and who knows where they are going to be without a focused objective.

Second would be chargers. A good charger can dominate any match in any mode, but there's a good chance your going to be overwhelmed with aerosprays, splooshes, and dualies - the kills just don't mean as much with that much ink output on the board.

Tower Control:

Probably Dualies. Setting up that close range 1v1 where dualies (duelies?) excel is going to be difficult in Tower Control, and failed flank attempts are a massive waste of resources for your team.
That being said, they have great subs and specials for the mode, so I would focus on using them well and looking for 1v1 opportunities catching out their flankers.

Rainmaker:

Rollers for sure. Mainly because they do nothing better than a brush or bucket in this mode, and the mobility of the objective makes their kits less useful.

Doorman

Disruptor (along with multiple other things from Splatoon 1) was kind of OP compared to Toxic Mist, but for a weapon like the Just Blaster (lol) it's almost necessary and realistically better than just an AOE mist that someone can easily escape from. And as you mentioned the fact that Toxic mist costs a lot of ink and Blasters themselves consume a lot of ink as well, it severely limits the ability to chase down opponents in some cases. I still think it's good for pressuring though. I do like the Luna but with it's high ink consumption both for the weapon itself and sub weapon (Splat Bombs), I constantly have trouble maintaining an ample amount to shoot with. Call me crazy, but I think the Luna kit should have came with Burst Bombs for easy extra damage with low ink consumption and Ink Storm or some Bomb rush. As for the Rapid Blaster, keeping a distance is key and if the enemy starts closing in, the Ink mines are an easy way out but still kind of situational.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy using the Clash blaster as well. Those short range multiple explosions ensure an opponent can't just run away which is pretty good for getting the drop on long range oriented weapons. Watching them panic trying to get you knowing they can't escape is a pretty satisfying thing haha. I agree with you that a change in the inking pattern would definitely help it without altering things too much while giving it a subtle but needed buff. To be quite honest, I love using the Blaster series weapons. They aren't the greatest and require a good understanding of how other weapons operate and how the kit operates, but man are they fun!

Edit: Another Splatfest theme where both sides don't entice me :/

Dear God no, you think people are complaining a lot about Tri-Slosher right now, I can only imagine the salt at a Luna with burst bombs. They gave the Grim Range some pretty insane kill potential in the first game, that thing would be an absolute CQC terror. Luna needed to be made more ink-hungry to force Luna players to pick their spots and approaches more carefully, it's a further attempt to cut down the "zombie" play that it received a lot of previously thanks to QR-SJ shenanigans. Mayne they took it too far, but it definitely needs that nerf way more than what the regular Blaster class got. At least the Luna's fire rate and burst size gives it a better chance of surviving close-range encounters with shooters, while the Just Blaster is both too slow and too short-range to handle many situations.

Yesterday wound up being Salmon Run, but I'll be toying with the Clash more tonight. Maybe if I'm feeling especially foolhardy I'll try taking it into ranked and see how it goes.

Oh yeh, agreed on the abilities. Just meant more the looks of both the outfit and the amiibo. I'm usually either focusing on looks or abilities so I'm used to the trade off if I want to look fresh.

Top Bottom