• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

So many eggs with the next two shifts. All hours in the EST:

DHabAU9UQAAg4lf.jpg
Damn. Thank you, was hoping for it to be on at 8am or 2pm EST. Missed the last shift and that one's the 1AM start here. At least I'll be able to catch it after work tomorrow.

So I'm always down a player, as a charger main? 🤔
Unless you're that mythical unicorn that actually plays the objective as a charger player then you are the man down.

Seriously, there are more tryhards in this than in splatoon 1 and it sucks. Coupled with quitters and disconnects, it's aggravating as fuck.

MGrant

Honestly fuck any charger players. Anytime you see a charger player you know you're down one player.

Useless gits.

Chargers are hugely dependent on team comp and team skill. Most people try to play them as yolo swag 360 no-scope camping bullshit, true, but they should really be played as anti-flank and area denial mobile support. You can do some things as another class to help your charger out if they are competent, because even the best chargers can't do shit without their team.

If you are using an ink-coverage weapon, cover up undefended enemy ink. Then the charger can see targets approaching and which flanks need to be defended, and your flankers can flank. If you are using a flanking weapon, get in there and put enemies out of position so the charger can help you kill them. If you have a long-range assault rifle, cover another flank to let your painters do their work and allow the charger to better control their area.

Chargers are hugely dependent on team comp and team skill. Most people try to play them as yolo swag 360 no-scope camping bullshit, true, but they should really be played as anti-flank and area denial mobile support. You can do some things as another class to help your charger out if they are competent, because even the best chargers can't do shit without their team.

If you are using an ink-coverage weapon, cover up undefended enemy ink. Then the charger can see targets approaching and which flanks need to be defended, and your flankers can flank. If you are using a flanking weapon, get in there and put enemies out of position so the charger can help you kill them. If you have a long-range assault rifle, cover another flank to let your painters do their work and allow the charger to better control their area.
I use chargers to cut off escape routes and force enemies into kill funnels... In splatoon1, in splatoon2 it's useless as there are too many lone wolf tryhards

Unless you're that mythical unicorn that actually plays the objective as a charger player then you are the man down.

Seriously, there are more tryhards in this than in splatoon 1 and it sucks. Coupled with quitters and disconnects, it's aggravating as fuck.
Conversely, I'm sitting here in Zones laughing my ass off as my opponents are so concerned about flanking me that they ignore the objective, causing them to lose. My numbers are low since I have two guys on my tail at all times, but I'm practically taking players out of the game just by being here. People are stupid regardless of weapon.

That said, I hit 900p no problem in Turf War with a charger, and pretty often get 1000+, so I guess I'm an endangered species.
And while I've never done this, matches like these exist.

Conversely, I'm sitting here in Zones laughing my ass off as my opponents are so concerned about flanking me that they ignore the objective, causing them to lose. My numbers are low since I have two guys on my tail at all times, but I'm practically taking players out of the game just by being here. People are stupid regardless of weapon.

That said, I hit 900p no problem in Turf War with a charger, and pretty often get 1000+, so I guess I'm an endangered species.
And while I've never done this, matches like these exist.
Oooo, I see Yung Beezy in that pic :3 have you come by to the splatgaf discord yet?

So I was part of a team of three that got completely dominated in Turf War.
Then I was again in a different room. And again. And again.

Seriously, 3 vs 4 just happened 4 times in a row in different rooms with me always being in the 3. Killed my interest in playing for now :'(

It's so weird seeing all the shit being thrown toward charger players. You guys watch when people really figure out things you'll all be sorry. Until then please be patient :p

MGrant

It's so weird seeing all the shit being thrown toward charger players. You guys watch when people really figure out things you'll all be sorry. Until then please be patient :p

We all know the rollers are the ones who deserve the real hatred. Jk I love you guys, but seriously stop trying to flank.

On the topic of chargers. There are a ton of piss poor ones out there. And i totally understand people have to practice. Play the weapon you want to play and have fun with and learn. Id rather see that than DC's or AFK's.

But holy mother of shit. When going up against a competent charger player, it can be the most hair pulling frustrating thing ever.

J@hranimo

Banned
It's wild to me that's it's been almost a month and no new map announcement or anything yet. Splatoon 1 getting Port Mackerel within a week of release really has my expectations spoiled lol.

-shadow-

Sometimes I hate people... I needed one more match to reach S in Tower Control, just one. And the two snipers in my team do not move from their camping spot. Ever after being splatted multiple times at their camps, they keep going back and stick to that spot. It's even worse because you can't see the other side of Starfish Mainstage from where they were standing while I and the other player were trying to win the game.

Guess it's fighting towards that S rank again. This stings so bad...

DrArchon

Inspired by Doorman's post above (thanks for the idea) and my crusade to get people to try out the L-3 Nozzlenose, I did some testing in the lab. I compared the range and paint coverage of the L-3 to 3 other "back-line," mid-long-range, fast-firing weapons that in my opinion are the most viable. I used a number of shots that take approximately the same time to complete. Here are the results:

*Pic*

You can see that in two trigger squeezes, the L-3 Nozzlenose has 80% of the range and better paint coverage compared to the Jet Squelcher. It has practically the same range as the Splattershot Pro and Dualie Squelchers, but again much better coverage. This makes it a better painting weapon and a comparable splatting weapon to the other mid-long-range fast-firing weapons.

A thing to note is that the L-3 can produce the underfoot puddle like the squelchers after two shots, but it seems random. Sometimes it shows up on the first shot, sometimes it takes 3 or more shots.

Wow! Awesome work. Good to see just how wide the lane is from the L-3, even though there doesn't feel like a lot of spread to the shots. I love the idea of the L-3 so I should really try it out more, even if it's a bit harder to use than the Pro.

In regards to the Dualie Squelchers test, was this done with concentrated fire or just standing normally? Because it looks way too accurate for normal fire honestly. I feel like they're the least accurate guns in the game for the range they're given whenever I use them without rolling.

Col.Asher

Speaking of shit chargers, I don't think I've seen a single charger use charge storage. Worst yet I haven't seen anyone use charge storage with the goo tuber.

Penguin

I've spent way too much time in Salmon Run. I think the notion of short burst horde mode is just super fun. And it doesn't get boring since your weapons change per shift and round so don't get comfortable with a "strategy"

Azure J

Gotta admit, I picked a hell of a time to look around and be greeted with nothing but shit flinging towards charger players. :lol

Col.Asher

Gotta admit, I picked a hell of a time to look around and be greeted with nothing but shit flinging towards charger players. :lol
I'm a charger main, I'm just pointing out that I haven't seen anyone else use charge storage. ALso I'm just waiting for the bamboozler at this point.

DrArchon

Oh God I just realized the worst thing about this Splatfest.

You can't use Ninja Squid and be on Team Invisible because of the forced shirt.

I call bullshit Nintendo!

Walmart's getting the Splatoon 2 bundle on September 8 (exclusive to Walmart), hope the Joycons come out then too.

I would've LOVED to buy this at launch, it even has the awesome carrying case I almost spent $35 importing

Doorman

I'm scared of heights so looks like I'm on team invisibility.

Hopefully the teams will be more balanced than last time.
But if you could fly, falling off of height would no longer be any risk, thus no more reason to fear!

I wonder if this will be the US theme too? I'd struggle to pick one, since thematically I like invisibility better, but flight would be way more practical in my every-day life. Hmm...
Much better theme than the first two, either way.

SummitAve

Banned
Picking flight. Invisibility would be the fastest way to lose all trust from everybody and society would likely turn on you if found out.

DrArchon

But if you could fly, falling off of height would no longer be any risk, thus no more reason to fear!

I wonder if this will be the US theme too? I'd struggle to pick one, since thematically I like invisibility better, but flight would be way more practical in my every-day life. Hmm...
Much better theme than the first two, either way.

Well there's a lot of things to consider with flight other than just general fear of heights:

a) How fast do you fly? Flying at 4 mph sounds pretty lame.
b) If you do fly super fast, does the air resistance fuck up your face, or do you need a helmet?
c) Can you fly super high without worrying about changes in air pressure?
d) How many bugs will fly into your face? What happens if you hit a bird?
e) How easy is it to turn, slow down, etc? Momentum would be a bitch if you had to go from mach 1 to stopping on a dime.
f) Does it tire you out? What if flying was as exhausting as running?
g) Are you guaranteed to look cool while flying?

See, lots of things to consider. Invisibility is much simpler.

a) Do you have to take off your clothes?
b) How long does it last?

Top Bottom