• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Just reached S rank on Splatzones! Now only Tower Control is left and all three will be S!
Good job!

How you got to it in Rainmaker first is what I'm wondering. I'm B+ almost A in TC and SZ, but just scraping out of C+ in Rainmaker.

Any tips? The matches are close for the most part but always seem to lose momwntum at the end. To be honest the one thing that destroys a game for me is the enemy getting a great push (to like <20) right at the start of the match. Find it very hard to come back when they make such strong initial strides.

Jintor

i feel safe in saying i was let down by my team 3 times though i can't in any way justify it lol

4 solid losses in splat zones and then to TC which i don't want to play tonight...

noshten

So much easier when you have a normal roller in rotation for Salmon Run.

In any case I've sometimes been having issues with my router and when with Ethernet cable haven't had a disconnect since. I'm not sure why but it appears sometimes I have brief connection issues with my router which causes disconnects.

The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;246254628 said:
Feel you there. Personally my least favourite of all of them. What are the other weapons in SR today?

Today's weapons:
Splattershot
Mini Splatling
Splat Roller
Splat Charger

-

Going back to the Splat Charger from the one-shotting glory that is the E-Liter is so hard. orz

Played my first Ranked match last night! All I can say is nope... Going in solo just does not seem like a viable option for that mode. My team got absolutely destroyed in Splat Zones.

Maybe I'll try again once I'm out of my 1.5XP bonus. Not wasting it on that mode.

zenspider

The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;246253572 said:
Good job!

How you got to it in Rainmaker first is what I'm wondering. I'm B+ almost A in TC and SZ, but just scraping out of C+ in Rainmaker.

Any tips? The matches are close for the most part but always seem to lose momwntum at the end. To be honest the one thing that destroys a game for me is the enemy getting a great push (to like <20) right at the start of the match. Find it very hard to come back when they make such strong initial strides.

What weapon/playstyle do you use?

Doorman

Crash blaster sucks at turf wars.
Clash sucks at covering turf on its own, yes, but it still has its uses. I'd been hearing people not being fans of it but I've been using it for the past two days since I unlocked it and I personally find it hilarous and fun. It's one of those weapons where the poor inking means you aren't likely to single handedly turn a match around if you're pushed back, but if teammates can give you a little movement room it becomes an amazing pressuring tool, especially against a lot of the low to mid-range weapons currently owning much of the meta. Covering corners, wiping out grouped-up foes with fast AoE bursts, really strong when you roll along with another shooter to rack up kills and assists. I haven't taken it into ranked yet, and won't until I have a more complete build put together for it, but I love its overall style and I get why it has the weaknesses it does.

Since I'm a fan, natuurally I hope it gets a little buff, but it could risk getting kind of OP if you took it too far. I have an idea for a subtle tweak that I think would help it out a lot without making it too good, but I'll have to wait until I'm home to break that down so I can get some demonstrative screenshots in.

Koren

To be honest the one thing that destroys a game for me is the enemy getting a great push (to like <20) right at the start of the match.
Well, you can be the guy that prevent them from doing the first push ;)

In many cases at lower levels, you see all 8 people rushing to the RM, and sometimes a whole team being killed (!) by the explosion of the shield. In a lot of cases, by avoiding the first clash and sneaking around the center, you may be able to take down the whole team by arriving behind them before they even do a single meter.

In any case, look at the situation at the center when approaching, if your team hasn't an obvious chance of getting the rainmaker safely, the better option (if noone is already doing this) is to take position so you can kill the enemy attack right from the start. The first rush is only efficient if you can kill the whole team.

And remember to fully explore the map (not during the matches if possible ;) )... A *lot* of people in C can totally be surprised by someone using a path they don't know about.

Today's weapons:
Splattershot
Mini Splatling
Splat Roller
Splat Charger

-

Going back to the Splat Charger from the one-shotting glory that is the E-Liter is so hard. orz

Thanks for that. Not the worst but mini-splatling really messes with me in that mode. It's just too stop-start, I find it hard to manage in a tight spot.

Feel you on the bold part. E-Liter was terrific. Won't be looking forward to that.

-shadow-

Good job!

What I like to do, if possible, is attack the opposing team from behind. In some stages it's very easy to do since there are multiple routes to flank them that way. People very rarely cover their rear in Rainmaker (or the other two for that matter) making it a pretty easy option. Also, if you can, cover whoever has the Rainmaker from behind. It's my biggest grudge with the mode that rare anyone covers the rainmaker, probably since it's so strong they don't bother. Though if the opposing team has a ridiculous quick push, it is rather hard to get back.

I am never going to win a single Salmon Run game again

You can win!
I believe in you!
Maybe not your teammates though!
-
If there's one bit of actual advice I have for playing with randoms, it's to never, ever run an egg unless the basket is on your way to the next boss or if it's the final 20 seconds and there's like one or two bosses left. You can get some pretty embarrassing egg counts as a result (my lowest in a successful Pro run is 3 lol), but you get a lot more consistent runs as a result -- even if you get one of those guys that likes to run to Flyfish, pick up the egg near them, then just run away.

Col.Asher

Weapons I want this friday: Squeezer, squiffer, or bamboozler. one of those three. Though I do wonder how short range the squiffer will be. Sometimes I feel like the weapon designers hate chargers.

Edit: some stuff from the datamine.
Just looked at the datamine, the bamboozler will have the old squiffer range(The same as the goo tuber) and the squiffer will be a bit shorter.

Koren

I'm holding off on Ranked for now until I get more weapons and put the effort into making a semi-decent equip set.
Took me something like a year in Splatoon 1, but I never really bother with sets, I haven't found the difference being that great (maybe in S, but otherwise...) I was still annoyed when seeing how easy it was to cheat with sets, though :/

zenspider

Well, you can be the guy that prevent them from doing the first push ;)

In many cases at lower levels, you see all 8 people rushing to the RM, and sometimes a whole team being killed (!) by the explosion of the shield. In a lot of cases, by avoiding the first clash and sneaking around the center, you may be able to take down the whole team by arriving behind them before they even do a single meter.

In any case, look at the situation at the center when approaching, if your team hasn't an obvious chance of getting the rainmaker safely, the better option (if noone is already doing this) is to take position so you can kill the enemy attack right from the start. The first rush is only efficient if you can kill the whole team.

And remember to fully explore the map (not during the matches if possible ;) )... A *lot* of people in C can totally be surprised by someone using a path they don't know about.

This.

From C- to A, it's 95% of the time eight people shooting the shield. (If you see a teammate painting your base, just back off and try to build meter). If you're familiar with the weapons, you can probably guess who is going to get to the middle and have the ink to pop the shield.

A cheeky flank is super strong. Be a little patient, look at the map, flank, and even the odds. An decent Octobrush can probably get 3 or a wipe at low levels.

Taking a defensive posture is harder, but can be very strong depending on your weapon. I like the Jet Squelcher in the backline. You can put pressure on lanes with the toxic mist (force their team to go where you want them to be), have one of the best specials ready to go against an oncoming flurry (tenta missles) from inking paths in your backline, and you also provide a safe jump for your dumb teamates who got killed by the shield (call out safe jumps to spawning teammates with "this way!")

If the Rainmaker is at the frontline, don't grab it. Clean up, build meter and support (safe jumps, cover flanks, etc.). You'll get a feel for when the backline player has a great opportunity to move the RM for that hero shit - it's a good weapon (the long ranged ones) to take off the board if your team is alive and on the offensive.

Playing with the Rainmaker is a whole other animal and I'm honestly not very good at it. You can practice with it in Recon mode (press 'Y' in the lobby) to learn ranges, paths, timing, etc.)

Good luck!

Hojaho

Nah, took me a long time to try it in Splatoon 1.

I'm holding off on Ranked for now until I get more weapons and put the effort into making a semi-decent equip set.

Just jump to ranked ! Or at least add it in your playtime rotation. You'll get more variety. ;)
And to be honest you don't really need to bother with sub affixes, before S maybe.
I'm not really good and went up to A+ without trying to get specific sub affixes.
Also, I feel that you get more money/xp with ranked, but maybe I'm wrong.
And regarding weapons, I still have quite a lot to unlock as well, low levels ones are damn good already anyway !

When the camera cuts to the person who splatted you:

769242.jpg

DjRalford

Wow, today I have gone from fresh 11 down to raw 0 with a massive losing streak again, earlier I had a lvl 1,4,8 in my team against 4 lvl 30 something's, although not that low every game I am sick of being put with players that are shit.

Fml

Jesus fucking Christ, another 2 losses, I don't mind losing fairly but I'm sick of scoring more than the top player in the other team and fucking losing.

Wow, today I have gone from fresh 11 down to raw 0 with a massive losing streak again, earlier I had a lvl 1,4,8 in my team against 4 lvl 30 something's, although not that low every game I am sick of being put with players that are shit.

Fml

Jesus fucking Christ, another 2 losses, I don't mind losing fairly but I'm sick of scoring more than the top player in the other team and fucking losing.

Dude i feel you. Im having the same problems. Im about to pull my hair out. I was at 26 superfresh with my roller. Down to 4 now. Just cant string more than 1 win in a row. Im trying hard to carry my teams and am getting in tops scores. But this game is very hard to carry entire teams with. And if the rest arent pulling their weight...your doomed from the start.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
2 player salmon team sucks

Edit: and then straight to a three player team jesus

DjRalford

Is anyone else's stealth jump not working, the last few rounds I've noticed the little icon when I jump and the enemy is always there so clearly they can see it.

8bit

Knows the Score
Liking this loadout for Salmon Run, it's clear who is supposed to do what and it's great when it works well.

However, when player 4 disappears and xPrezzy45x keeps jumping in the water it is not quite as fun.

OryoN

Weapons in SR today are pretty good...

But the boss spaws - at least in my last few games - have been ridiculous! I'm talking like 5 to 6 bosses with more immediately behind them. At one point my team and I killed so many of them, with not enough time to gather any eggs, and there were like 15+ eggs littered near the basket, but we died while watching salmon hauling them away 3 at a time.

I really love this game, but just like Splatoon 1 I have to meditate before each match or my blood pressure will sky rocket to unsafe and childish levels lol.

Nelo Ice

Banned
But the boss spaws - at least in my last few games - have been ridiculous! I'm talking like 5 to 6 bosses with more immediately behind them. At one point my team and I killed so many of them, with not enough time to gather any eggs, and there were like 15+ eggs littered near the basket, but we died while watching salmon hauling them away 3 at a time.

That just happened to my team. We dominated wave 1 and did ok wave 2. Then wave 3 we just ran into a boss rush right by the rising platform next to the basket. We had no time to get all the eggs strewn about because we just got swarmed.

Top Bottom