• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Switch hinted

Which is it?

Results are only viewable after voting.
The only thing that really makes me think that maybe Switch won't get the pocket edition, if any port at all, instead is whether or not the upcoming PC port will in some fashion have 'low' settings below the standard currently shown on the console versions. That seems unlikely admittedly given one might imagine they could have used such settings to try and up the resolution on Xbox One version, but it's the one uncertain factor I can think of.

They are considering a Switch version of the game. There is no question about that. But along with the mobile game I heard that they are intending for that as the basis of the Switch version. That's all.

Well if that's the case then there it is. Pocket version. Dunno why they are sitting on an announcement then.

duckroll

Well if that's the case then there it is. Pocket version. Dunno why they are sitting on an announcement then.

Because it probably won't be a episodic 20 hour game with no side quests or open exploration selling for 30 bucks?

Plus, you can't put a Switch in your pocket...

Neiteio

They are considering a Switch version of the game. There is no question about that. But along with the mobile game I heard that they are intending for that as the basis of the Switch version. That's all.
This is worded a bit oddly. Are you saying that you heard it will be based on the Pocket Edition, or are you saying that they're doing that in addition to the normal version?

Auron

Definitely want to see this happen. Full Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest support on a Nintendo console is gold.

This will probably be based on the Pocket Edition. Downporting would require far more effort and the results won't be great. They might be replacing the Vita with the Switch with their strategy of offering mobile content on dedicated hardware.

duckroll

This is worded a bit oddly. Are you saying that you heard it will be based on the Pocket Edition, or are you saying that they're doing that in addition to the normal version?

I'm not going to pretend to know stuff I don't, all I have heard is that currently they intend to base the Switch FFXV on the Pocket version.

Because it probably won't be a episodic 20 hour game with no side quests or open exploration selling for 30 bucks?

So it'll be some specialized version using the mobile version as a base I suppose.

You also can't put an ipad in your pocket. What's your point?

Edit: I missed that was suppose to be a joke. I thought you were serious :(

Dr Thor

Neo Member
Okay but lets say they downgraded the character models to a bit better than PS3 (which is the Switch's level) then you've also got a massive open world which the PS3 generation would have struggled with, so you'd have really obvious draw distances, and you'd have to limit the number of objects on screen.

PS3/360 ran GTA V well enough to be more than playable for millions upon millions of people. Switch is more powerful than PS3/360. FFXV's open world is less complex than GTA V, or for that matter Zelda BotW, which handles draw distance very well and presents a truly vast open world while running a complex physics engine.

There *is* an issue of the amount of effort it'd require to rebuild a downgraded FFXV in a new engine, since the Luminous Engine is their own proprietary thing. But that has nothing to do with the power (or lack thereof) of the Switch, and more to do with development costs and practicalities.

Sadist

I'm not going to pretend to know stuff I don't, all I have heard is that currently they intend to base the Switch FFXV on the Pocket version.
Hmmm.

Could be anything in regards to the Pocket version. Maybe a full game based on the Pocket version that isn't divided up in chapters I guess?

You underestimate the size of some pockets!

But otherwise this really doesn't seem the sort of thing where you announce upfront and then make people wait like say, six months on. If it is the pocket version there's not gonna be much hype, in which case, it would make sense to keep the window narrow so it's not just forgotten about if/when it hits the eshop.

diaspora

Eh, if the Switch ends up getting the mobile version of FFXV and the 3DS version of DQXI, I won't feel too bad about skipping them both.

Is it crazy to assume that Square's inability to get the game to run in the first place contributed to the large swaths of the world that appear to be "missing" or perhaps even to the very disjointed mess that the game as a whole ended up being?

Logash

Eh, if the Switch ends up getting the mobile version of FFXV and the 3DS version of DQXI, I won't feel too bad about skipping them both.

Is this a thing? I thought it was confirmed that the Switch version of DQXI was based on the PS4 version?

diaspora

Is this a thing? I thought it was confirmed that the Switch version of DQXI was based on the PS4 version?
I don't think that was ever confirmed either way. I'm expecting the 3DS version though since I doubt Square is technically capable or inclined in the first place to bring the UE4 version to it.

LordKano

There's no confirmation of anything concerning the Switch version, apart that it is in development, but there's about 99% chances that it's based on the UE4 version.

z0m3le

Banned
Well we know something's happening. Either it's the pocket version, which would be strange because they could have announced the Switch with the other platforms, or it's the PS4/XB1 version downgraded. We can talk all we want about how feasible it is or how much work it would be for whoever is doing the downgrading but it's now become a very distinct possibility.

It shouldn't be too difficult, the CPU is a little weaker than PS4's, there is less ram (3.2GB vs 5 or 6GB) and the GPU processing power is ~1/3rd the PS4's but otherwise is more feature rich than any other console on the market in terms of GPU. It is also an Nvidia Gameworks game on PC, meaning it will have optimizations for Maxwell/Pascal architecture found in the Switch.

The obvious first answer to reductions is in draw distance: You'd have basic objects at any real distance, think of how Zelda does this, it would be similar. Remove shadows and lighting from the scene at reasonable distance. What is important about the draw distance is that lowering it enough in combination with other reductions like foilage, lighting, shadows, textures and post processing, is that you reduce RAM usage, CPU draw calls, which could very well make up the difference of ~50% more CPU power on PS4 vs Switch, and would reduce GPU processing power. Obviously you'd have to lower resolution and the Gameworks optimizations would help the gap here too. It certainly would require noticeable reductions, but it's not impossible to see the Switch get the full version of the game, and for Square Enix, I think it absolutely makes sense to port over the full version of the game as the Switch is quickly climbing the Japanese market and by the games actual release, it will likely be the most prominent system in Japan and worth a double dip since it would be a portable version with current DLC included (like the PC version)

I'm open to suggestions.

I wear relaxed fit jeans, and I slide the joycons off and slide them down alongside the switch, fits fine in my pocket, the tablet itself is smaller than a n3DS XL, and the joycons have room alongside it for me, though they could go in my other pocket in a pinch.

diaspora

I dunno, I'd buy a Bravely Default/World of FInal Fantasy version of FF XV. Just redesign the characters a bit more for the Switch release and I'll take it.
I personally wouldn't expect any more than the bare minimum if that. In the first place I'd rather a 16-bit 16:9 de-make in the visually style of FFVI.

I'm open to suggestions.

D3LM8NW.jpg
Just standard Wrangler relaxed fit jeans. It's not too hard to fit in there.

Further proof.

Yazuka

The pocket edition doesn't look as bad as I thought.
If that's the one coming to Switch I'll buy it again, it not I'll keep playing the PS4 version.

Robin64

I've carried my Switch in pockets but by separating the Joycons and putting them in one pocket while the tablet is in another.

You guys have weird pockets.

Most of my trousers have 'em, though I'm also overweight, so maybe that's just standard for my size range. Quite handy really.

But yeah, 'pocket edition' wouldn't technically be a misnomer if it came to Switch. Though Nintendo could also just make them slap 'Switch Edition' branding on as has happened with other titles already.

It shouldn't be too difficult, the CPU is a little weaker than PS4's, there is less ram (3.2GB vs 5 or 6GB) and the GPU processing power is ~1/3rd the PS4's but otherwise is more feature rich than any other console on the market in terms of GPU. It is also an Nvidia Gameworks game on PC, meaning it will have optimizations for Maxwell/Pascal architecture found in the Switch.

The obvious first answer to reductions is in draw distance: You'd have basic objects at any real distance, think of how Zelda does this, it would be similar. Remove shadows and lighting from the scene at reasonable distance. What is important about the draw distance is that lowering it enough in combination with other reductions like foilage, lighting, shadows, textures and post processing, is that you reduce RAM usage, CPU draw calls, which could very well make up the difference of ~50% more CPU power on PS4 vs Switch, and would reduce GPU processing power. Obviously you'd have to lower resolution and the Gameworks optimizations would help the gap here too. It certainly would require noticeable reductions, but it's not impossible to see the Switch get the full version of the game, and for Square Enix, I think it absolutely makes sense to port over the full version of the game as the Switch is quickly climbing the Japanese market and by the games actual release, it will likely be the most prominent system in Japan and worth a double dip since it would be a portable version with current DLC included (like the PC version)

Yeah I agree it should be technically feasible for sure, it's just a matter of if they're willing to optimize what by some accounts was a trainwreck of an engine. If what Duckroll heard was accurate then it'll just be an improved version of the Pocket version which is disappointing but still something.

Uh, you could remove the joycons and keep them and the tablet in different pockets.

That works too, but when I'm carrying it around the house with other stuff in my hands this is just a bit easier.

That looks uncomfortable as fuck, and puts a lot of preassure in the sticks.

It's not uncomfortable at all when I'm standing or walking but it isn't great when sitting, yeah.

You guys have weird pockets.

I make sure to check the pockets before I buy pants, I like carrying a lot of shit around.

Most of my trousers have 'em, though I'm also overweight, so maybe that's just standard for my size range. Quite handy really.

But yeah, 'pocket edition' wouldn't technically be a misnomer if it came to Switch. Though Nintendo could also just make them slap 'Switch Edition' branding on as has happened with other titles already.

Yeah this is what I expect to happen if it's based on the pocket version.

Just standard Wrangler relaxed fit jeans. It's not too hard to fit in there.

You can fit it in dad jeans and cargo pants, but anything more flattering than that and you're going to struggle. Even larger phones can be a problem, let alone the tablet-sized Switch.

It's still a portable, but I think it's more in the sense that you can slide it in your bag without it taking up any appreciable space.

True Fire

I wonder if they're able to do like a chibi open world? It would be a terrible waste of resources, but they haven't shied away from that so far.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I would like to see local co-op play in a Switch version. Take advantage of the joy cons.

z0m3le

Banned
Yeah I agree it should be technically feasible for sure, it's just a matter of if they're willing to optimize what by some accounts was a trainwreck of an engine. If what Duckroll heard was accurate then it'll just be an improved version of the Pocket version which is disappointing but still something.

If Square was thinking of rereleasing older versions of Final Fantasy with this pocket version's look similar to the DS games FF3 and FF4, I could see them wanting to spend the effort, but it doesn't make much sense to me. If it was a UE4 game, I'd say a full port is stupid not to do, given how the switch is perfect for that engine and you get to use mixed precision, which I guess could still be a factor.

Ultimately we won't hear about this game for a while unless it's coming in a direct next month.

Top Bottom