• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Steam Inventory Helper is requesting new permissions and Reddit is losing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffe...inventory_helper_now/?st=j7qvaujr&sh=bf946b35

SIH is really useful to me, so I'm reluctant to stop using it, but I'm not keen on having my shit sold to advertisers. What do ya'll think

I would strongly recommend anyone that still has this to uninstall it immediately and (optionally) report it to Google. Normally I try to stay quiet about SIH since it's technically an Enhanced Steam competitor on the Google web store and I don't want people to think that I'm trying to drag their name through the mud just to get more eyeballs on ES or draw negative attention to their code to paint mine in a positive light.

But fuck me, I can't stay quiet about this update and what it represents to the end users. TL;DR = this update tracks all of your online activity and sends the data back to SIH's servers for unknown reasons. Their privacy policy was updated to accommodate this sort of data exfiltration, and continuing to use the software means you agree to share the entirety of your browsing activity with SIH and it's parent company CSGOFast.

Technically speaking, this update adds "<all urls>" to the manifest file's permissions. Unless you actually need your extension to run on every page, this is a frowned upon permission. My recent ActivateOnSteam extension has this permission, but the permission is actually required as you need to be able to access the functionality from the context menu on any page. So I'll agree that it has it's usefulness but I can't for the life of me think why SIH would need it outside of the developers either being a) lazy or b) shady.

More to the point, this new update adds a background script that runs on every page (js/common/frame.js) which ships data back to their servers located at steamih.com (not even their primarily recognized domain, private registration exactly 2 months ago). Specifically, this script adds what's called an EventListener for 'click', 'maouseover', 'mouseout', 'focus', 'keydown'. Oops, looks like they mistyped 'mouseover', but it'll probably get fixed in a future release. So essentially, any time you click on a webpage, mouseover an element (presumably, once this gets fixed), move your cursor outside of an element, focus (for example, enter into a text field), or press any key this new script starts packaging the data to be shipped to them. This is what's commonly referred to as a keylogger.

As if this weren't enough, they've also extended the base webrequests handler in Chrome. This means that the extension will package data for shipment after each request your browser makes - and remember, these requests aren't limited to Steam or even Steam-related sites. Mind you, there doesn't appear to be any evidence that they're capturing and transmitting any of the actual data you POST, but using this method would give them a very clear indication of exactly every site you've visited, every button you've hovered over or clicked on, and a lot of data that builds a pretty package that they would most likely be able to get top dollar from advertisers / ex-lovers / employers / anyone willing to pay.

I see a lot of people dismissing these new permissions as "oh, you're just being paranoid" and it's absolutely frightening. This is literally the "worst case scenario" when it comes to handing private data to an external entity. People are countering with "Oh but you probably use adblock and it has this same permission" which is a false equivalence because while adblock (or similar things, such as ActivateOnSteam) could in theory do what SIH is now doing - they don't. Because it's fucking evil. I wouldn't even expect to see this level of fuckery on an official Facebook extension or Google anything - but to see this on a closed source application that's owned by a Russian gambling site is worthy of every red flag you can think of.

Sorry for the rant. Seriously though, it's time to uninstall this extension and find alternatives.

You could always do family share with yourself onto a different account (Not all games would share since there's some that don't allow family sharing) but at least it's something

Ucchedav&#257;da;249170934 said:
It is not a perfect solution, but this skin will hide your account name when the client is up:
https://github.com/cyberwitch/hidename

Changing the text that is shown when you login is more tricky. Firstly, shut down Steam, and then edit the file "public/steamui_english.txt" in the Steam installation folder (or the one corresponding to your language of choice), and replace the text "Connecting Steam account: %AccountName%..." with something like "Connecting Steam account ...". Next, add the option "-noverifyfiles" to your Steam shortcuts, to prevent Steam reverting that change every time you start the client. If you have Steam set to start on boot, then you'll have to figure out where to edit the parameters for that (I am not sure where).

Once you've done that, you should be free from seeing your account name, at least until the next client update. Maybe somebody here knows how to permanently override that text.

Thanks for the help!

Momentary

Banned
THE TIME HAS COME

qNEqPrw.jpg

I didn't think there was a Vita version of this until someone just broke the bad news. I guess I know what to expect from this. Maybe this will at least be as good a the Sophie port, but... I'm not counting on it.

Battlechili

Banned
I didn't think there was a Vita version of this until someone just broke the bad news. I guess I know what to expect from this. Maybe this will at least be as good a the Sophie port, but... I'm not counting on it.
I'm hoping its as good as the Nights of Azure port at the very least.
Nights of Azure had no real problems outside of a lack of mouse support. ALL assets were PS4 quality in that one.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wait, it seems I have Steam Economy Enhancer installed.

These two are different entities right? This one (relatively) safe to keep?

Yes, Steam Economy Enhancer is safe (at least, last I checked).

Unicorn

vs.

Been waiting on the new Stellaris DLC for a bit now, looking for an excuse to fire up a fresh campaign.

But the smoke on the street for Divinity 2 has me hyped to take the plunge.

No way I can juggle both at once.

Woof.
I'm in the exact same boat. My birthday is Thursday and I'm thinking of treating myself to one of them. I'm still deep into Monster Hunter Stories currently, so maybe just maybe I can hold until fall sale.

oipic

I would strongly recommend anyone that still has this to uninstall it immediately and (optionally) report it to Google.

Gosh, thanks for the insight, JShack, I don't have or use SIH, but that is all a bit alarming. You'd like to think this is just sloppy or ignorant coding or some such thing, but it's hard to believe this isn't at least a little dodgy in its intent (if not a lot).

Coreda

Sadly the Chrome addon catalog doesn't keep archives of older addon versions, as Firefox does. In the SIH case it would have allowed users to stay on an older version.

Not sure if SIH added anything ES doesn't, have only heard its name mentioned here a few times.

Gosh, thanks for the insight, JShack, I don't have or use SIH, but that is all a bit alarming. You'd like to think this is just sloppy or ignorant coding or some such thing, but it's hard to believe this isn't at least a little dodgy in its intent (if not a lot).

They are a skin betting site, 99.9% chance they are up to something dodgy.

For all the shit KT games, at least they're bringing 99% of their output, day and date on Steam.

You wont complain about SEGA bringing PS3 version of Yakuza or Persona, cause they decided to bring none of them to Steam. :")

Ascheroth

For all the shit KT games, at least they're bringing 99% of their output, day and date on Steam.

You wont complain about SEGA bringing PS3 version of Yakuza or Persona, cause they decided to bring none of them to Steam. :")
SEGA and KT are pretty much on the opposite spectrum on the porting schema.

One brings nearly all of their stuff day-and-date and older games as well, but the ports itself are always a gamble and have stupid problems like mixing PS3/PS4/Vita assets and has high prices and rarely get good discounts.

The other brings nothing day-and-date and slowly ports older stuff, but the ports and prices are great.

Neither is ideal.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
SEGA and KT are pretty much on the opposite spectrum on the porting schema.

One brings nearly all of their stuff day-and-date and older games as well, but the ports itself are always a gamble and have stupid problems like mixing PS3/PS4/Vita assets and has high prices and rarely get good discounts.

The other brings nothing day-and-date and slowly ports older stuff, but the ports and prices are great.

Neither is ideal.

Frankly, I take the first one anyday.
In no way one port a year, no matter the port quality, is a good thing.

As for mixing PS4/PS3 assets, that wasnt true for a long time.
As for having high price, that's because they're new games.

I have a Google extension that is a tampermonkey script for mass selling cards. Anyone know how I can find out what it actually is. Google is just showing me tampermonkey.

Durante

Frankly, I take the first one anyday.
In no way one port a year, no matter the port quality, is a good thing.

As for mixing PS4/PS3 assets, that wasnt true for a long time.
As for having high price, that's because they're new games.
I disagree with this one. I'd rather eventually have the best version (on the "forever" platform) than quickly have a shitty one.

Of course, what it should actually be is immediately having the best version. Like with Bandai Namco.

I disagree with this one. I'd rather eventually have the best version (on the "forever" platform) than quickly have a shitty one.

Of course, what it should actually be is immediately having the best version. Like with Bandai Namco.

Well the problem here Durante is the following:
Would you rather have a shitty one, that will in any case be fixed going forward by better hardware (even if it's a bad solution) rather than never getting one ?

Because on the current SEGA trend... it's more like a case of "never" rather than a "maybe".

But yeah, should've been like Bamco. Also, MH World coming January 2018, shiiiit. I hope it's day and date PC. Although I'm not too hopeful.

wazoo

Tried Dishonored 2 after a 6 months stop.

The game is smooth at 60fps now with my 970, pure bliss. No more stutter.

PC gaming, "eventually the best version". Does not resonate well with the Day 1 crowd of today, but good for me, I am a patient guy and my backlog is just there.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is this.... really recommended?

While using a VPN at all is technically against the SSA, in practice Valve doesn't care provided you're not using one to engage in cross-region purchasing on the Steam Store itself.

Have you redeemed any with this method in your 9000ish games?

A handful of region-specific games required a VPN to activate, yeah.

Ascheroth

Well the problem here Durante is the following:
Would you rather have a shitty one, that will in any case be fixed going forward by better hardware (even if it's a bad solution) rather than never getting one ?

Because on the current SEGA trend... it's more like a case of "never" rather than a "maybe".

But yeah, should've been like Bamco. Also, MH World coming January 2018, shiiiit. I hope it's day and date PC. Although I'm not too hopeful.
You can't fix low res 2D assets or 30fps locks or 1080p resolution locks and many other things with better hardware.

You can't fix low res 2D assets or 30fps locks or 1080p resolution locks and many other things with better hardware.

And you can't fix non-released games with better hardwares either. Which is my point. I'm not saying KT's doing good. I'm saying it's doing better than SEGA, because as a wise man once said: "It's better than nothing".

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
MH is a console IP. We should be already happy it goes to PC. This is already a major shift in market trend.

It may even be on the same day on PC, it is just that all news this week will not mention the PC.

they specifically said PC was later when they announced the game.

but I actually agree with you, baby steps is better than no steps. Marvel 3 wasnt on PC at all, nor Ultimate, until the re-release (and even then it was later), Infinite is day 1 at least. Baby steps.

Lets not even mention Sega >_>

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Zanzura, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zanzura, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin -- MB-7B2B4913C4BADF6F - Taken by kevin1025. 55 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Pillars of Eternity -- MB-3DCB3D5C3B71DCDB - Taken by Stygr. 46 entrants total.
The Walking Dead: Season 1 -- MB-254C9799CD89B1F7

t1505814466z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom