• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Greetings HaloGaf!

Another Junior member here who is quite pumped about finally being approved and looking forward to partaking in some in depth discussions about all things Halo with the esteemed members of this community. Been playing since the days of CE and am thoroughly enjoying Reach despite some obvious grievances that I may have with many aspects of the game. To answers Tashi's question:

BR/DMR

48 in Team Slayer but I really don't put much stock in ranks these days. I believe there are other more constructive ways of evaluating the ability of a player.

Midship. Such a versatile map. I have to show some love to Backwash though, great atmosphere and aside from the frame rate issues I thought it offered some interesting gameplay dynamics.

Blood Gulch. May be nostalgia talking but I have such fond memories of that map.

If you guys have any more questions feel free to ask away and of course I'm always down for customs of any kind.

xxxstylzxxx said:
Greetings HaloGaf!

Another Junior member here who is quite pumped about finally being approved and looking forward to partaking in some in depth discussions about all things Halo with the esteemed members of this community. Been playing since the days of CE and am thoroughly enjoying Reach despite some obvious grievances that I may have with many aspects of the game. To answers Tashi's question:

BR/DMR

48 in Team Slayer but I really don't put much stock in ranks these days. I believe there are other more constructive ways of evaluating the ability of a player.

Midship. Such a versatile map. I have to show some love to Backwash though, great atmosphere and aside from the frame rate issues I thought it offered some interesting gameplay dynamics.

Blood Gulch. May be nostalgia talking but I have such fond memories of that map.

If you guys have any more questions feel free to ask away and of course I'm always down for customs of any kind.

Predicting Junior of the Year, y/n/m?
shut up i know i'm a junior

CyReN

Hi guys, did a somewhat alter version of the questions asked.

Favorite H1 Map: Damnation/Chill Out
Favorite H2 Map: Lockout
Favorite H3 Map: The Pit
Favorite HR Map: Sanctuary (MLG Version)

Favorite Halo Weapon: H1 Pistol

Highest rank in H2: Team Hardcore (35)
Highest rank in H3: Team Doubles (50)

I've been lanning since 05', I still do the occasional Halo CE lan if I can get enough locals and friends to play. I've also been to 5 MLG events over my time.

Tawpgun

Being limited to one Halo 2 map is basically as bad as being limited to only one Halo map.

WHY YOU MAKE ME CHOOSE GAF. WHY.

But as awesome as midship was for 4v4 (MLG flag ftw) the BTB, in addition to overall shenanigans of headlong put it over the top. Glitching outside, Ghost Launching, One Sides game modes, zombies, fusion coil stacking, snipers.

My god it needs to be remade right now.

feel

Damn, floodgates have opened, I was afraid yesterday we were only getting 1 new member. Welcome all!

I wonder which one's EazyB? :p

xxxstylzxxx said:
Greetings HaloGaf!

BR/DMR

Welcome.

Your avatar is way over the size limit friend!

Limit friendly version
35384m8.jpg

If you don't like it and rather pick something else then remember it's 90x120x150kb max, if you go over, the administrators eventually will force on you a default avatar that mocks your inability to get it right. Go read the faqs guys!! No second chances if you make a mistake while still a junior.

Dani said:
So many Juniors. I wonder which one will have their HaloGAF-related meltdown first?
Haha oh yah, that one dude last year... I can't even remember his name... but the pics he posted.. hahaha. Memories :p

Welcome even more juniors... including the seizure-inducing guy...

Willeth

Every time a new wave of juniors gets approved I have to deal with FyreWulff being annoyed about it to me. Is there anything that would stop him being approved?

A27_StarWolf said:
So something Halo related:

343, think they will do a decent job?
Yeah, I think 343 might eventually surpass Bungie in terms of games we want to play. In we want to play-ness, anyways, not actual game count. Hell, if the Defiant Map Pack is any indication, I think we're going to be very well off.

Zee-V70 said:
Yeah, I think 343 might eventually surpass Bungie in terms of games we want to play. In we want to play-ness, anyways, not actual game count. Hell, if the Defiant Map Pack is any indication, I think we're going to be very well off.

I feel rather uneasy about the rumors circulating about Bungie's next big game.

FPS MMO.... not my thing.

A27_StarWolf said:
So something Halo related:

343, think they will do a decent job?

I hate to say it, but based on Reach im actually glad the baton has been handed down. Bungie seem much more interested in focusing on something new, and so a fresh set of talented developers who have a invested love in the franchise would do much better than guys who sort of want to move on. Don't get me wrong, I understand why they want to move on. I just wish that they didn't. That said some of the design decisions taken with Reach make me think that Bungie have changed internally and probably wouldn't be making Halo games I enjoy even if they were excited in the universe. A lot of things from map's to innovation to core game mechanics don't seem to gel with the type of gameplay I like and they have been pretty vocal about they're dislike of the precision weapons like the Pistol and the BR which have provided me with the best Halo gameplay - so im glad that a company with different ideas is stepping forward.

I am still hugely skeptical about 343, but at this stage im not sure I would be excited about another Bungie made Halo game anyway.

Thanks Letters.

And to follow CyReN's lead:

Favorite H1 Map: Blood Gulch
Favorite H2 Map: Midship
Favorite H3 Map: Guardian
Favorite HR Map: The Cage.....j/k lol Countdown

Favorite Halo Weapon: Halo 1 pistol

And just to get it out the way I'm actually a fan of AA's but not in agreement with the way they've been implemented so far in MM. My suggestion for non BTB/Invasion games would be to have Sprint as a universal loadout with all other armor abilities relegated to pick ups on the map. I would also remove armor lock entirely from anything 4v4 or less. Still in hopes for a patch some time in the near future but for now I've learned to enjoy the game for what it is especially when I think back to the days of default Halo 2 MM (4v4 TS on Coagulation with SMG starts *shudder*)

Willeth said:
Every time a new wave of juniors gets approved I have to deal with FyreWulff being annoyed about it to me. Is there anything that would stop him being approved?
Yeah, I wanna see FyreWulff post here. I know exactly what to say to him when he does get approved. Why hasn't that awesome dude been approved? Lame.

Anyway, best Halo map of all time:

kM9yk.jpg

*waits for members of HaloGAF to quote this post with a picture of their favorite map*

wwm0nkey

Dax01 said:
Yeah, I wanna see FyreWulff post here. I know exactly what to say to him when he does get approved. Why hasn't that awesome dude been approved? Lame.

Anyway, best Halo map of all time:

kM9yk.jpg

*waits for members of HaloGAF to quote this post with a picture of their favorite map*
Sorry but this is the best map of all time

Relic.jpg

MrBig

Zee-V70 said:
343 didn't actually do the production on Defiant, that was CA.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Zee-V70 said:
What? It was just common courtesy to respond. The guy that was against him posted pics of a dead something, so he posted a dead baby.

It was me. It was a picture of a crying baby.

And yea, welcome all other newbies. There are so many, I can't keep track lol.

xxxstylzxxx said:
Midship. Such a versatile map.

Yesssss...favorite new HaloGAF member right here

xxxstylzxxx said:
I have to show some love to Backwash though, great atmosphere and aside from the frame rate issues I thought it offered some interesting gameplay dynamics.

You blew it

Tashi0106 said:
It was me. It was a picture of a crying baby.

And yea, welcome all other newbies. There are so many, I can't keep track lol.

Yesssss...favorite new HaloGAF member right here

You blew it

He could have said Longest?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
wwm0nkey said:
Sorry but this is the best map of all time

http://images.wikia.com/halo/images/d/d3/Relic.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
You are both correct.

wwm0nkey

You know maybe with all these new Junior's we might be able to get to OT|4|. Oh also customs should be all full again, seemed like you guys where having trouble with that.

Tashi0106 said:
You blew it

I remember checking out some old clips back in the day when Backwash was actually being tested for MLG lol I believe it was Tsquared's POV as well. Definitely not among the best but also nowhere near as horrible as many have made it out to be :p

CyReN

xxxstylzxxx said:
I remember checking out some old clips back in the day when Backwash was actually being tested for MLG lol I believe it was Tsquared's POV as well. Definitely not among the best but also nowhere near as horrible as many have made it out to be :p

The lack of starting nades ruined Backwash for me.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxxstylzxxx said:

Oh god that would have been awful. But nah I used to have fun on that map just messing around. Nothing serious. Serious games on that map are the worst.

Karl2177

Another junior here. Might have seen me around the bungie.net forums going against anyone who says armor lock doesn't need a nerf.

BR

29, I believe. I played more social than anything else though.

Terminal or Lockout for H2. (If H2V is included, District with those two)

Overall, I'm quite fond of The Pit, Terminal, and Valhalla.

A27_StarWolf said:
I feel rather uneasy about the rumors circulating about Bungie's next big game.

FPS MMO.... not my thing.

I am actually pretty exciting for the prospect of Bungie making an MMOFPS. One of the most impressive things about Halo, especially what sucked me in back in the Halo CE days, was that Bungie was able to create this very interesting massive sci-fi world that housed intriguing stories and worlds. Bungie creating a new massive universe with interesting worlds, races, characters, and stories with the ability to be a part of all of those worlds and stories because of the MMO format, topped with quality FPS gameplay that we know Bungie can deliver. Sounds pretty exciting to me.

Actually I remember watching Backwash on the MLG stream way back in the day, I tried to find it recently but never could. I remember them holding down mid for camo and rocks? and then having two outside and some pretty good crossfire/stalemates happening.

wwm0nkey said:
You know maybe with all these new Junior's we might be able to get to OT|4|. Oh also customs should be all full again, seemed like you guys where having trouble with that.
We were going to get to OT4 anyway.

Striker said:
YES

YES. Why hasn't Bungie made a formidable small, one sided map to counter this since? The closest we got was Ghost Town, and I'm sure most will agree, Turf > Ghost Town.
35ml6vl.jpg

Ah Waterworks. I actually miss this map. Good times. Big fan of Turf as well.

Hey guys!

I've been in GAF limbo for almost a year (next week will be the official one-year mark). But I definitely enjoyed lurking on the Reach train last year.

To answer Tashi: I'm a huge BR fan. But I'm not a big DMR fan. I don't like single-shot rifles. The BR's three-shot burst just felt powerful.

My highest level in Halo 3 was a 42 in Lone Wolves I believe. I can't seem to find individual playlist rankings on B.net.

Favorite Halo 2 map: Lockout. I really miss that map. The cold aesthetic complemented the calculated brutality.

And my current favorite Halo series map is Uncaged. I haven't read what GAF's opinion of the map is, but the myriad escape and flank routes remind me of Lockout. And with the jetpack, getting the drop on people is delicious.

Also, I know I need an avatar, but I'm still unsure of what to use.

Karl2177

Striker said:
Why hasn't Bungie made a formidable small, one sided map to counter this since? The closest we got was Ghost Town, and I'm sure most will agree, Turf > Ghost Town.
It was the little things that made those Halo 2 maps awesome: All of the Lockout jumps, Turf's ledges, the bouncy Midship platform, etc. It seems someone just got lazy and decided, "Wouldn't it be cool if theses maps were in campaign." "Yeah, then they only have to be completely square buildings and no one will care."

Top Bottom